DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Trial (Murder in the Yards)

Matalina

Kyn rose and looked at Meeghan/Cari. "So, how does the shadow get out, if you... Cari... can control its escape?" He didn't know where he was going with this, but it seemed important. Than plan was long since blown apart and Kyn didn't think there was any salvaging it. So, for now, it was go in whatever direction he could think of at the moment.

"The same way it would have with Meeghan."  Cari smiled and went on.  "It's just harder for the Shadow to take control over me.  Meeghan is the weakest of us, I am the strongest, short of the Shadow and it's in my best interest to make the Shadow's escape as hard as it can be.  When it escaped before it was overwhelmed with its own blood lust, it wanted more than I was willing to give and it took control to take matters into its own hand."  Cari wanted to smile but she refrained.  She didn't want to make the case worse than it already was.

Cari

Kyn narrowed his eyes and thought for a moment. "So, you are saying that if it wants to get out it can? It is just a matter of it wanting to enough?" He filed away the tidbit about the 'Shadow' being the strongest of her personalities for the time being, It would likely prove to be important later.

OOC: Sorry Mat, I've been swamped.

Cari shook her head.  "No not when it wants.  The need, desire, urge whatever you want to call it has to be strong enough to pull me out of body.  Don't get me wrong when I say it's stronger than me, but I am not some push over like Meeghan and the Shadow has to overcome me.  The Shadow has gotten out twice in the thirteen years since it's been in my head."

Mat

"I had a friend stop me before things got bad."  Cari smiled, "Said friend isn't in Tar Valon.  And few others would have the nerve to do what needed to be done to make the Shadow weaker and let one of us take over.  We all have our weakness, Gaidin."

Cari

Cari smiled back at the gaidin.  She wasn't about to tell him what had happened in reality, it was very good she made lying a living.  "Nothing happened.  The Shadow was about to kill someone when he walked in. If you want the gruesome details I will more than gladly supply them, including how he stopped me, but again like I said very few people have the stomach for what needed to be done."

In reality no one stopped her, she was able to finally take back control of the Shadow.  It was a different set of circumstances and different times, very different times.  Cari smiled.  "My friend's name is Glen Triad.  But he's dead now.  And no I or the Shadow didn't kill him, he had a unfortunate run in with a thief."  Again another lie, but Glen was real, he was a friend of Cari's and there was no way to talk to him.  The circumstances of his death were also a lie, she didn't kill him but it was because of her that he was dead, or at least that was her theory on the matter.  But he was scum of the earth so it mattered little to Cari despite all his help establishing who she is now.

Cari

Kyn grunted, listening to the spiel and even waiting a moment before responding. "Yes, I think hearing the details of that encounter would be enlightening." He turned and headed back for his seat, but paused for a moment again and before Cari could start he turned and said. "It seems to me a great number of people around you seem to end up dead Cari, through no fault of your own. But, that seems of little account, the details please?" Kyn'd already picked up on the fact that Cari had said that her friend wasn't in Tar Valon implying he was somewhere else, not how someone normally refers to the dead.

Cari gave the Gaidin a wry smile.  He asked for it.  Cari began telling the story, or a version there of anyway.  The shadow had gotten out instead of stopping with the traditional letting of her own blood.  It stalked around their little village looking for the perfect mark and finally decided on a young man who was new to the area.  She regaled the imagery that followed from the toying with the man to the shock when Glen walked in.  How the shadow smiled at Glen before Glen slammed it into the wall and pushed the dagger into its throat enough to break the skin. 

Cari went on and in full detail of the violence that followed and the sex that followed that.  The shadow went when the violence turned into sexual energies, but Cari didn't stop the tale until it was finished.  It mattered little of the perverse nature of herself or any of her personalities, she was already condemned a murderer here in these courts, the only thing of question was how was she to die.

Cari

OOC:  specific details left out on account of pg-13.

Kynwric sat back and let the story unfold, having expected less but not unsurprised at the twists it took. he stood and smiled a crooked smile and nodded. "And that's that I suppose." Kyn then looked to the defense and then back to the panel. "I don't have anything further, the defendant has given us plenty already I do believe."

Jasine stood up and only briefly addressed Commander Mia.  "The Defense rests, your honor."

As he regained his seat he continued jotting down the notes he would use to present his final arguments.  There wasn't a whole lot to tell, but it would matter how he presented the case.  Cari's guilt was assured, all he could do for the woman was save her life and hope that the Yellow Ajah could heal her afflictions - or at least learn enough from her to save another.

Kynwric rose as to give the Prosecution closing statement, it wasn't going to take long. "Ladies and Gentlemen, this case is simple. It doesn't come down to whether or not the defendant is guilty or not, it doesn't even come down to whether the defendant knows they did wrong. That has all been established, I would say over-established. What it does come down to is punishment, the law says that Murderers, or in this case, Murderesses should be put to death. The defense would have you believe that there is some mercy in allowing a Murderess clemency, that we should study the defendant to see if it healable. My only remaining question is why would we want to have a Murderess amongst us? One who has already been shown capable of killing Warders without compunction? Would this be so if this woman had killed an Aes Sedai? Would the cries for justice be muted because they could 'study' her? I doubt it, I have little doubt that Cari would have been summarily put to death without so much of the benefit of a trial. The woman murdered several of our brethren; she has shown no remorse, feigned or otherwise; she has provided instances of her being caught up with other nefarious goings on. She is quite obviously in league with the Dark One, if not a direct servant of him herself." Kyn took a moment for a long pause, "So far as I can tell justice and the law should be carried out by the most harsh and expedient means necessary lest we revisit this issue again. Thank you."

OOC: I was just ignoring you Mat ;D

Jasine didn't rise for a moment after Kynwric took his seat.  He had to fight to suppress the sigh that wanted so badly to be released.  When he did rise, he left his gaze focused on the table in front of him for a long moment.

"Master Kynwric would have the court forget testimony that he himself called into evidence.  The penalty for murder is to be one of two things: Death or life imprisonment.  The Yellow Ajah Aes Sedai have expressed an interest in studying Cari Namere and hoping to learn, through her, more to advance their cause.  I am a Tower Guard.  It is not my place to question that which an Aes Sedai wants.  And as the court-appointed defendant for Miss Namere, it is only my duty to see that she be given a fair trial.  One free from the savage and hatred-based responses that her actions have wrought in our community."

He lifted his gaze to Kynwric and a chill tone darkened his words.  "As servants of the Light would will it, she has received a fair trial, as she would have no matter who she had killed, for we are not beasts nor shadowspawn to kill those who displease us out of hand."  He turned to address the rest of the court.  "Cari Namere, or at least the one she calls The Shadow, has been honest and forthright with us.  She has not deceived nor tried to paint her picture in shades of rose to leave a more favorable impression upon us.  She has been... brutally honest.  There is nothing more that we can ask of her that she has not given.  She does not speak with relish or glee at the deaths of our men at arms.  She is clearly a very disturbed woman."

He stepped from around the desk and paced as he finished what he had to say.  "I would not envy her a life of study and examination by the Aes Sedai.  They are an unyielding bunch and harsh taskmistresses.  Death could very well be the kinder option.  But whether you choose to give Miss Namere to the yellows out of a misplaced notion of revenge against her in wanting her to study, or out of the more noble motivation of hoping that some good, in the form of the knowledge needed to heal, should come from her study, it is clear that imprisonment with the Yellow Ajah is the only way that any good could come of this unhappy series of events.

"If Cair Namere is killed, all of this will be over, and all we will have is one more body to show for it."  He retook his seat and folded his hands neatly atop his stacked papers.  He kept his eyes focused on them, still as stone now that his part in this was done.

With the final statement Cari knew that death would be the end of this one way or another, she was not about to let the yellows study her, she'd have preferred a quick death but she knew others counted on her so even a little more time might prove to be helpful to get out of the situation. 

Commander Mia spoke to the jury and then everyone rose as she left the room.  It was now time for the jury to decide her fate.  Cari was not eagerly awaiting the trial she was guilty and she had not hid it or pretended it wasn't her,  that evidence was clear and Cari knew she wuold not be let out of here on some mere hope.  There was no hope.  Her only regret was that her children would not see her one last time.

Cari

• 2 weeks later...

Mia watched as the jury moved from their seats and headed inside. The trial had been long and painful to watch, and she could see on the faces of the crowd that they wanted blood. Luckily, it was not up to the people, it was up to the twelve men and women who had just vacated the premises. She turned to the right and called a young guard over. "Please take the prisoner back to the holding cell. I want a strong guard outside, and she is to be fed. Things do not look good for her, and even if she is a murderer, I want to our treatment of her to reflect who we are." The man nodded and in moments the guards had picked Cari up from the chair and began to march her away. It was deadly silent amongst the crowd, the only sounds the clinking of the chains and the soft thud of boots on grass. Mia could fell the intensity of the crowd, the heat of their stares enough to start a fire. Once the prisoner was removed, Mia stood up. A guard shouted for everyone to stand, and as they did, Mia walked away and headed to her office. She needed some time by herself to think about the case.

Once in her room, Mia quickly took of the symbols of her office. As soon as she did, it felt like she could finally relax and breathe again. She had never had to sit through a trial such as this one. Usually she had to deal with minor matters, such as guards leaving their posts or fights, not multiple homicides. Back when she had first come to the tower she knew that she couldn't have handled the sheer amount of pain involved in this case. But over the years she had become strong and capable, her mentors teaching her until she grew into the golden knots of rank her cloak now bore. Needing to find some distraction, she walked over to her book case. She wanted to lose her thoughts in a book, and even though there was work she could do, she knew that a few moments of peace would do her good. Her hand traced the spines of several until it rested on the Travels of Jain Farstrider. Settling down in her chair, Mia opened the book and let herself go.

She had only been reading for a short while when a knock sounded on her door. Opening it up, she was greeted by a captain. "The jury is finished deliberating commander. It is time to pronounce the verdict." Nodding to the woman in front of her, Mia took up her coat and cloak. The two walked quickly to the court area. Everyone seemed to have settled back into their seats after the recess, so Mia wasted no time in approaching her chair. Everyone stood as she entered, but she waved them down. She took her spot, and looked out over the audience. "Will the jury spokes person please rise and deliver the verdict." A young man stood, cleared his throat, and began. "The members of this jury have discussed the matter, and we have found the defendant guilty." A uproar began in the crowd, but several bangs of her gavel brought the noise level down. "Cari Namere, you have been found guilty of multiple counts of murder, the penalty of which is death. I hereby sentence you to death by beheading. Your execution will take place in three days time. Hopefully the light will have mercy upon your soul, but sadly, I don't think that will be the case. Guards take her away." With that, the woman was led away. Mia watched sadly as the woman shuffled out of the court. Even though it was the right decision, the taking of another's life was always a difficult choice. Mia left the court as soon as she could. She had a lot of work to do before Cari Namere was to lose her life.