DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

To gain an Edge ((ATTN: Raeyn.))

Kura

Arcon stood in the courtyard of the Fortress, not yet having left for the Southern lands. It would be a long time before he had the opportunity to return here, and there were many things he wished to accomplish before he left. He would have to send a message to his father, telling him he needed time to settle matters before returning. The old man would understand, if not approve. He knew he trained his son well, no matter how much the boy Arcon had been resisted the tutelage.

Today, he sent for an opponent to test his blades against, and perhaps spin yet another web to snare the girl in. She had been in the last weapon's class he had participated in, though he had barely noted her at the time, he had noted her rivalry between her and the woman who had caught his eye. He could use that, that much he was sure of. He just needed to figure out what purpose the girl would serve in the grand scheme of things. He knew she had one; all people did, and he was confident he could discern it.

His thoughts were momentarily interrupted as the girl he had invited to the yard appeared, and did not appear to be in the best of moods. Arcon put on a slight smile, though he doubted his tight, almost skeletal features would do much to comfort her. "Hello Rendra, I am Dreadlord Arcon Dadread." He had to add the title, the pride of earning it hadn't worn off quite yet. "I remember you from a weapon's class, and I thought perhaps we could spar to improve our skills a bit. We don't want to fall behind the other students now, do we?"

The last bit sounded so much like an afterthought, at least that was how Arcon had meant it to sound. Of course he was trying to goad her into agreeing to train with him. He knew her abilities were around his own, and she would be good to match off against. "Well, what do you say?"

((Edited cuz I'm a fool and bad with names.  :)))

Rendra had been bemused to receive an invitation to meet up with one of the boys that had been in her weapons class, and all the more so for it being one who had so obviously been drooling over Rebecca.  <i>”The idiot probably just wants some sort of details on that stupid chit, and probably figures that all girls are the bestest of best friends around this place… bah!”</i>  Grumbling under her breath, she stalked to the meeting place that had been indicated on the missive.  Whatever the case, she <i>was</i> curious as to what this person wanted, and why he had indicated she should bring her daggers with her…

Stalking out into the courtyard, she smirked at the figure waiting for her.  He smiled slightly in reply, "Hello Rendra, I am Dreadlord Arcon Dadread.  I remember you from a weapon's class, and I thought perhaps we could spar to improve our skills a bit. We don't want to fall behind the other students now, do we?"

Blinking in surprise, she looked at him uncertainly before retorting, “When did you have time to notice that?  If I recall correctly, you were busy drooling on your chit of a countrywoman.”  She smirked, stroking the hilt of a dagger, “Why didn’t you ask her out here?”  Rendra ran the tip of her tongue across her full lips, and smiled brightly… but with a hint of malice.

Arcon laughed in response, smoothing his jet black hair. "If I was drooling over her, it was only because she entered first Rendra." He tossed her a wink, or maybe he blinked, it was hard to tell when one only had one eye, and laughed again. "Or perhaps I had other reasons for examining a woman who is supposed to be my competition in this place, particularly one who was about to demonstrate what she knew of weaponry." He still held his fox like grin, but inwardly grimaced. This woman did lack the tact that Rebecca had seemed to have, but she would still suit his purposes.

Arcon moved his left hand to the hilt of his blade, angling it towards the right for ease of drawing with his right hand. "Still, I fail to see how my... other interests should distract us both from a bit of good natured exercise? Both of us can use the practice, I mean I am still adapting to the fact I only have one eye." That was a blatant lie, but it sounded good and would hopefully take out any insult she might take from the 'needs practice' remark.

"Besides, what do you have to loose? The peace of shadow holds, so even if I had some elaborate plan to assassinate you, for whatever confounded reason, I can't do it here. Meanwhile, you stand to gain a chance to demonstrate and improve your skills with those twin blades." His tone was light hearted through out his speech, even if he was slightly annoyed that she hadn't immediately accepted his proposal.

Not everyone can be quite so easy as Shad, Arcon. He thought to himself, a flicker of hidden amusement filling him. Yes, that one had been a gift from the Great Lord, a perfect tool that was easy to keep in perfect working order. "So? What do you say?"

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling her eyes at the man before her, Rendra wondered if the fool thought she had been born yesterday, <i>”I thought Cairhieniens were supposed to be subtle and clever… getting promoted must’ve gone to his head.” </i>

Still, she would be foolish to pass up a chance to train up her skills, even if it was with this arrogant creature.  What she said, however, “And why should I trust that a half-blind man won’t ‘accidentally’ run me through, Peace of the Shadow or not?”  She smirked, arching an eyebrow questioningly as she crossed her arms.  Tapping a finger on a forearm, she continued, “Not that I think I’m worth your time or effort to kill, mind you, the half-trained child that I am…”

Rendra trailed off, stifling a mock-yawn for effect.  “Regardless, I guess some small measure of trust must be garnered.  As you said – this would not be the place for such plots… and I guess I’m bored enough to give you some of time for this.”  Smiling crookedly, she uncrossed her arms and drew her daggers.  She gestured at the taller man with a dagger, she started forward.

• 4 weeks later...

It took the twenty five years of experience in the Game of Houses to keep his face with that mock smile. This girl was infuriating, and seemingly quite dense. Still, she was someone to test his mettle against... and that was something he desperately needed. "Good, then lets begin my dear." He chuckled to himself, no doubt she was beginning to build up quite the revulsion for him at this point...

He met her step with a slash from Unfolding the Fan. As expected, she blocked. Good, it won't be a waste of my time... And so the dance began, each met sword form with sword form, dancing around the other in something approaching grace on both parts. Still, either probably would have been cut down by your average Trolloc. He kept this up for a long time, both hands on the hilt of his longsword, meeting her dagger thrusts, and was actually pushed back a step or two.

It was to be expected, she was wielding her preferred weaponry. As one of their teachers had taught them though, sometimes slipping from the forms was a good thing, and with that at mind he used his greater size to his advantage. As he parried a slash meant to take out his throat, he met it, and pushed hard, putting most of his mass behind the block, hoping to push her off where his longer reach would mean more. He wasn't disappointed, and for a few strokes kept her out of her reach, keeping strikes around her midsection to encourage her to step back.

((Alright, your turn, take a stab at him... Also if I took to much liberty with it, tell me and what not...not quite sure how fighting works on DM lol.))

Narrowing her eyes, Rendra wondered how she had lost the advantage.  Oh sure, he was bigger, had a longer weapon, but with his sight issues and overwhelming ego, he shouldn't be <b>that</b> hard to take down.  <i>"Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.  After all, I don't </i>really<i> want to kill him... but he seems to be trying pretty hard to try his luck here!"</i>  She danced back, forcing herself not grip her blades quite so tightly.

She deflected yet another onslaught; The Grapevine Twines attempted to shove his sword aside with one dagger, while the other hand attempted to go for his tiny heart with Kissing the Adder.  Unfortunately, his heftier weapon meant that her efforts were truly for naught, and almost cost her a hand besides.

Stepping back again, she suddenly dodged to Arcon’s left, <i>”Perhaps I can circle around to his blind side and get the advantage,” </i> Rendra mused excitedly.  Granted, she still had to get around his blade, and in no time the two found themselves dancing and slashing around each other in a circle. <i>”Perhaps around the other way, then…”</i>

Rendra realized amongst all this dashing, slashing, and hacking that she’d never felt more alive in her life without the One Power in her.  She immediately dismissed the idea of channeling at him to take advantage of the battle, however; he could channel as well, after all, and this was for practice, not for life or death.  Still, she dashed and dodged, attempting to get around his blade…

And was rewarded with a sword-edge pressed firmly into her side as she was pressing the flat of one of her blade’s against Arcon’s neck.  Laughing softly, she spoke towards his ear, “Shall we let each other free, then?”  As she spoke, she gently moved the dagger away from his neck and stepped to the side away from his sword.  Inspecting her blades, she sheathed them and smiled in delight, “I would say that was… edifying.”

Arcon forgot his schemes, his devices, every plot he had in his twisted southern mind in the joy of sparring. His blade weaved through the forms, even initiating the series of attacks he had learned to do while on a small raft in the middle of the sea of storms… during a storm. When it was over, his control took a moment to slip back into place. He sheathed his sword, allowing a grin to remain on his lips. “It was a… a good match.”

He moved to rest his left hand to the hilt of his sword, his breathing quickly returning to normal. Briefly he considered challenging her again… this time unveiling the weapon he kept sheathed in his left sleeve, but dismissed the thought. They had shared a moment of joy, lost in the dance of battle, but she was far from being accepted into his circle, and there was no need to show every card he had to her. “If you can get over your repulsion again sometime, I would be glad to continue this session. Perhaps I’ll show you a trick or two I learned on the Merry Pauper.” He didn’t bother to disguise his distaste for that light-blinded ship.

With that he slipped back into the main of the fortress, slipping through the halls with that grin on his lips. Those who’d heard of the new dreadlord stared openly at the unfamiliar turn of his lips. Fools… all. They wouldn’t last a moment back home. Slipping into the confines of his newly furnished dreadlord quarters, he sat at his large mahogany table, reaching for ink and quill. Playtime was over… It was time to return to work.