DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An idle thought while re-reading book 10

MikeRiley

At about the start of book 10 we first start to see ghosts making appearances. It's suggested it happens randomly across the world. My idle thought while reading was, how many ghosts appeared in or around trolloc lairs and cookpots, and how many trollocs must be going insane searching everywhere for that man they just saw? Surely the bad guys would be seeing them as well as the good.

At about the start of book 10 we first start to see ghosts making appearances. It's suggested it happens randomly across the world. My idle thought while reading was, how many ghosts appeared in or around trolloc lairs and cookpots, and how many trollocs must be going insane searching everywhere for that man they just saw? Surely the bad guys would be seeing them as well as the good.

Wouldn't think so.

The Dark One, Shai'Tan, Great Lord, Leafblighter, Treeblighter, Old Grim, Storm-whatever-these-crazy-Atha'an Miere(sounds like "Meer", the latter of that, come to see it now...)-call Mr Dr Prof Evil might not be almighty.

I do think that he somehow...directs...those ghosts in anticipation of his next try at prisonbreak.

Or it might be the pattern. And he knows that. And the pattern knows that he knows that...

My 'ead 'urts. xD

I won't start into rambling like Mick(no offense, Mr Mick ;)) here, as it's worthless for a discussion. Mere opinions, that is. When there's not enough material to certain sure point out what's happenin'.

We can safely assume though that those "ghosts" are alarm-sirens for the Last Battle approaching. It's in the prophecies(who were the prophets, though, aside from The Prophet now?), and it's already happening in Winter's Heart. For some reason.

Hope this at least covers some possible, generally accepted points.

Cheers.

i wonder more about, what do the Seanchan in Randland see?

most of the time people see the ghosts of people they used to know but other times it's just random people who i guess were based on location.

do the Seanchan see theyre ancestors who then are in the wrong place, or do they see the locals that they have no connection to at all?

most of the time people see the ghosts of people they used to know but other times it's just random people who i guess were based on location.

do the Seanchan see theyre ancestors who then are in the wrong place, or do they see the locals that they have no connection to at all?

We need certain proof for this. One such a scene from different PoVs.

Without that proof, I think that's just too loony. Sorry.

Everybody in one place sees the same thing. IMHO. There's nothing to suggest otherwise. Not really, anyway.

People get used to oddities when Prophecies are walking the earth, and do not notice that anymore. Realistic.

;)

Regarding who the prophets were, it's known that Seanchan damane can tell the future at will so it's probably just a weave lost to the Aes Sedai. It might have been standard stuff in the glory days. Or over the course of a few thousand years there were enough fortellings to account for them. Some could be evolved from even older events, too. Makes me wonder, think the whole snakes and foxes game came about from a previous visit of Mat's in an ancient time? Including that chant you say before starting. That's moving on to a different topic, though!

I don't think the Dark One is actually controlling the ghosts. It seems a side effect to the barrier thinning. It just happens that the encounters we've read about so far involved people who knew who they were seeing and knew that person was dead. I think it's entirely possible that the trollocs are seeing the ghosts of their past victims.

I found it a bit odd that Mat saw a road full of ghosts, but Tuon didn't see anything.  She asked if he was dancing when he tried to avoid running into them.  That might just be another case of someone simply denying what she saw simply because she didn't want to believe it, but it didn't seem that way.  She was more amused than anything.

I found it a bit odd that Mat saw a road full of ghosts, but Tuon didn't see anything.  She asked if he was dancing when he tried to avoid running into them.  That might just be another case of someone simply denying what she saw simply because she didn't want to believe it, but it didn't seem that way.  She was more amused than anything.

Seanchan seem to be weird and half-mad in general, when you don't know their exact culture.

Maybe in certain parts of the Empire ghosts are perfectly normal. And a joke. Rofl.

Or she just wants to show Mat what sort of a mighty Queen *beep* she is.

:D

I think Tuon really didn't see them. Maybe the ghosts then are just visions random people have and they aren't really ghosts at all? I'm not up to that point yet rereading so the event isn't fresh in my memory, what style of clothing did they wear? Could it be possible it's one of Mat's new memories of a town at that location taking hold?

I think Tuon really didn't see them. Maybe the ghosts then are just visions random people have and they aren't really ghosts at all? I'm not up to that point yet rereading so the event isn't fresh in my memory, what style of clothing did they wear? Could it be possible it's one of Mat's new memories of a town at that location taking hold?

I have just started to see the ghosts in the bit i'm reading. Beonin (still reeling over that one), and her warder travel to the WT, and she sees an AS who mentored her decades before and has been dead for years.

I dont remember the Mat one, although probably I havent got to that bit yet.

I wondered if the ghosts were specifically linked to the person who saw them? Although in that town (forgot the name) where Perrin got his grain from, there were ghosts aplenty there, weren't there, and lots of unassociated people saw them?

I have just started to see the ghosts in the bit i'm reading. Beonin (still reeling over that one), and her warder travel to the WT, and she sees an AS who mentored her decades before and has been dead for years.

I dont remember the Mat one, although probably I havent got to that bit yet.

I wondered if the ghosts were specifically linked to the person who saw them? Although in that town (forgot the name) where Perrin got his grain from, there were ghosts aplenty there, weren't there, and lots of unassociated people saw them?

I got a theory....

There's something to that "ta'veren causing the ghosts"-thing....sort of like "nuklear radiation". Or something.

Nuke-power stations, nukes...ta'veren goodness, ta'veren "radiation"....good one. And I don't need to know the scientific blablabla behind Mr Einstein's e=mc up 2 to figure that out.

Also to "certain locations having that...radiation...due to the one power"-thing. Since the White Tower is a place where the One Power, which is linked to the wheel, is used quite much more often than anywhere else....

I think we're approaching a nuke-blast. Hope it won't be the end of channeling parallel to the end of the Third Age.

Would make me cry. The One Power is great. It's wonderful. It may not die just yet.

But then, the wheel weaves...the Power will return eventually. As will the Age of Legends. And the Apple plucked from the Tree(of the Damned...al-Zaquum or what's it called, the Tree of the Damned in the Quran....kool...). The Box of Pandora opened.

And the dance, it begins anew...

"Kitsch" that hurts. Badly.

Yet wonderful, still.

:D

Wow... never thought about the end of channeling. What if the 'one power' ran out, or for some reason all channellers lost connection to it. All men equal and all that... for TG?

Semi would probably do quite well, I fancy she's fairly adept at the old hands and feet stuff, but imagine Graendal unable to channel? Which she well could be, if she was within SH's vicinity at TG...

Wow... never thought about the end of channeling. What if the 'one power' ran out, or for some reason all channellers lost connection to it. All men equal and all that... for TG?

Semi would probably do quite well, I fancy she's fairly adept at the old hands and feet stuff, but imagine Graendal unable to channel? Which she well could be, if she was within SH's vicinity at TG...

She would get raped by her male slaves.

That's what she deserves, the bitch.

Open ending on that one please, though. She doesn't need to die.

But she can end as a whore. In a whorehouse. :D

Would serve her right. As well as her throwing her faith in the Dark One away.

And the Dark One, in his prison saying:

OMFG NAO I GOT OWNED AGAIN AAAAAAYYYYYYYYYIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!*fires on Painkiller, Goth and Death Metal and flames away on the Internetz*

The fun....Wheel of Time is so much genius piled upon genius if you just want to see it. ^^

Archived