DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Book 12, Book 13. Man i hope not.

safwd

I was reading on Brandon's site about Book 12 progress. He said that he measures his timeline on word count and that he set the word count for Memory at 400,000 words, which equals the longest WOT book.

He says that he thinks Memory will be about 700-750K words and that it could possibly be split into two volumes.

Man i hope this doesnt happen. I have no problem lugging around a 2000+ page Book 12 if thats what it takes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ That's a silly question to ask. Even if you yourself don't mind the split, it's fairly easy to see why others might.

Perhaps he doesn't want to wait yet ANOTHER long amount of time for the ending of the series? Because they will most certainly release the two halves about a year apart to increase sales and the widest availability possible.

Perhaps he doesn't want to be interrupted by another year of waiting after reading half of AMoL, which can sort of dilute the "feeling" of the last novel, as it was unnaturally split in two. Saving the first part until the second is released would be absolute torture.

Perhaps he doesn't like the idea of Robert Jordan's book -- that he himself said would be one book if it had to be carted around on a forklift -- being split on those grounds alone?

Many reasons, just spitting some out. I personally don't really know where I stand on it...as if it mattered.

^ That's a silly question to ask. Even if you yourself don't mind the split, it's fairly easy to see why others might.

Perhaps he doesn't want to wait yet ANOTHER long amount of time for the ending of the series? Because they will most certainly release the two halves about a year apart to increase sales and the widest availability possible.

Perhaps he doesn't want to be interrupted by another year of waiting after reading half of AMoL, which can sort of dilute the "feeling" of the last novel, as it was unnaturally split in two. Saving the first part until the second is released would be absolute torture.

Perhaps he doesn't like the idea of Robert Jordan's book -- that he himself said would be one book if it had to be carted around on a forklift -- being split on those grounds alone?

Many reasons, just spitting some out. I personally don't really know where I stand on it...as if it mattered.

Exactly.

It matters to me because i have been waiting a long time to see how this story (which i believe is the best of all time) is going to finish. Of course i could wait if i had to but i would rather haul the book around with a forklift so i can read it all at once.

I find it hard to believe that everything can come together in one book actually, unless it is massive but that is what i would like to have happen.

I have a feeling that if it gets as big as Brandon is thinking it will end up being two books. Twice the money that way so i guess i cant blame them.

I got it, they will first release a regular version, about 100000 words less than the current draft, then after they stop selling it they will release the" Extended Collectors Edition," will all the stuff that should have been in the regular. All that you end up missing is that Demandred is actually Olver, Loail becomes a new dread lord, and Bela defeats the Dark One.

In the interview Brandon did some time ago with DMs podcast crew, he has a pretty good idea just where the split should happen, the way he sees it seems to basically be book one focusing on the build-up, and book two on TG actual. So releasing book one before book two is completely finished is absolutely feasible. If that is what TOR wants, of course...

Patience is a virtue, and good stuff needs time.

My thought on this, so I can bear to wait a...little...longer.

;P

Besides, 13 is just sexier than a total book-count of 12. And the book won't be too huge. You'll be able to actually TRANSPORT it!

Logistics, people!

Book 13 wouldn't necessarily be released at a later time than 12. They could be released as a two volume set with a fancy cardboard box the two books slide into.

The only problem I see with it being a two book book is it'd be two payments to make instead of one. That might just be my own greed talking, though.

Book 13 wouldn't necessarily be released at a later time than 12. They could be released as a two volume set with a fancy cardboard box the two books slide into.

The only problem I see with it being a two book book is it'd be two payments to make instead of one. That might just be my own greed talking, though.

Greed indeed.

This far into the series, at its very end, "greed" certainly should not be a criterium.

You sunk enough money into it already anyway, so...

*laughs*

I got it, they will first release a regular version, about 100000 words less than the current draft, then after they stop selling it they will release the" Extended Collectors Edition," will all the stuff that should have been in the regular. All that you end up missing is that Demandred is actually Olver, Loail becomes a new dread lord, and Bela defeats the Dark One.

You supposed to write "SPOILER ALERT" before saying things like that. Now there is no reason to read it at all.

I always figured Bela was the one that killed Asmo. It makes perfect sense because he certainly would be surprised by it.

Never going to happen. The only reason the book would be split (the only reason, no others, no matter how many excuses your brain tries to make) is to maximize sales. End of story. Not as if that's a bad thing, it's what good businesses do, but it's a fact. Two books, double the profits, then you can add more for however many collectors editions there are with the two novels packaged together, or made into one leather bound version, etcetc.

Sanderson has already said he will write the novel through, they won't release the first half before the second is done and edited to a certain degree. That would be ridiculous. We won't get the first half any sooner.

I don't much enjoy the thought of waiting any longer than necessary for the *last* book; however, I'm quite sick of my RJ books falling apart.  The bindings sometimes break/split on large books... especially well loved and often read books. 

If they do the '2 volume' thing, I hope there's no longer than 30 days in between releases.  Or perhaps they make it a 'reader's option' where you can get one really big book or 2 books depending on your preference.  If they want to increase sales and make more money, this is a good choice because people like me with just HAVE to have both copies.

Im personally a big fan of one book.  Simply because then I get to read it all at once.  Since im slightly addicted to WoT i would finish the book in a span of few days then have to reread it.  but even then i would be done with it long before the second would probly ever come out. 

The only problem i find with that is that 13 is a big number in the series and i think it would be cool if it had 13 books... Then again you could always convince yourself that "the new spring"  is a part of the main series and add that making 12 out right now...

Sanderson has already said he will write the novel through, they won't release the first half before the second is done and edited to a certain degree. That would be ridiculous. We won't get the first half any sooner.

That is not what he said. He has stated (on his blog) that it will be up to Harriot how he proceeds. She may want him to concentrate first only polishing the first half (book 12) so that it can be published in the fall. Or she may want him to finish the entire story before its published either as one volume or two). If she chooses the first option its hard to see how he will be able to finish the second volume before the first volume is published.

Ya it won't be years apart between books.  Look at GRRM, He wrote the "4th" book of SoIaF at about the same time, and Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons were released right on top of each.....

Crap

I waited to 1 and a halves between cliffhanger endings want to see the last book broken up.

I do not want to wait 2 years to read a part two when that part has been already written.

That is one reason I don't read aSoIaF.

There are ways that they can shorten down the book if the wanted to. FOr example The Font sizes. In the hard backs the Font sizes are fairly large but in the paper back they are much small. If the used the paper back font size with the Hard back Page size they could cut a ton of pages out without losing any content.

I sincerely doubt they're after money if they split aMoL into two books. After all, there are 12 other past books about the series. If they really were money grubbing bastids, they'd only offer aMoL in a built up package with all the past books in it.

Not to mention there's a huge amount of fans who've heard them say again and again that it will be released in one book, so if they decide to do 2, it'll be bad PR.

However, I would not object if they split it into two, and then released one book a month after the other.

Archived