DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Majsju

The New Spring graphic novels

This post contains the information about the comic books previously found in the News section.

Excerpt from Dragonmount's interview with Red Eagle Entertainment in Fall 2008.

DM: A few years ago, fans of Jim’s work became familiar with you because you were involved in publishing the NEW SPRING comic series. Unfortunately, issues 6 through 8 which would have completed the series where never produced and published. Now, of course, there are fans that were not happy about this. What’s your reaction to this and what can you tell us about the chances of completing the series.

REE: We share in the disappointment of fans that the NEW SPRING comic was not completed. While the interruption in the publication of the NEW SPRING was beyond our control, we never gave up on trying finding a way to finish the comic series. After several attempts, we believe that we have finally succeeded. We cannot say more at the moment, but we nevertheless expect good news to be forthcoming in the near future regarding the completion of the NEW SPRING comic.

With respect to New Spring, the average refund for a U.S. subscriber for the remaining 3 issues amounts to $15.36. However, after talking to many of our New Spring subscribers, the overwhelming request was not to receive a refund, but rather, that we complete and deliver the final issues of the New Spring comic series as promised. To this end, we expect that an announcement will be made in the near future concerning plans to complete New Spring by another comic publisher, although we don’t control the exact date on which the announcement will be made. As part of this effort to complete New Spring comic series, all Red Eagle subscribers will receive the publication at no additional cost when the final issues are published. However, if there is any subscriber who no longer wants to receive the completion of New Spring, they can send an e-mail to customerservice@red-eagle-entertainment.com to request a refund.

The New Spring Comic: Over the past couple of years, we have given a number of refunds to our subscribers upon request, and we will continue to do so. But we do not want to introduce any confusion by making a refund announcement that directly precedes an announcement of the completion of the New Spring series. We will soon join with Harriet and the new publisher of the comic to announce the completion of New Spring, along with the offer to provide all existing subscribers with the final issues at no charge. We have also provided the new publisher with our master customer list so that all New Spring subscribers can be personally contacted with news of the offer. For those who have changed their contact information, all major Wheel of Time websites will be asked to prominently feature this announcement – so it will be hard to miss for anyone who follows the online WOT community. Of course, anyone who is unable to wait, or who is not interested in receiving the completion of the New Spring series, can contact us directly for a refund. If you have any friends who believe they are entitled to a refund, please have them send an e-mail to customerservice@red-eagle-entertainment.com.

Hello Shoulderthumper,

After reading your posting, we have tested our customer service mail account (customerservice@red-eagle-entertainment.com) and it appears to be working fine.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems reaching us by e-mail.

Regards,

Larry Mondragon

Red Eagle Entertainment

Hello-

It recently came to my attention that all of the original contact information my wife gave REE when she signed me up for New Spring is completely outdated.  This includes shipping and email addresses.  I emailed the customer service address and explained the situation, but haven't heard anything back yet.  How long should I wait for a response before I email again?

Sincerely,

Andrew Gelos,

The 4th Age podcaster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Suravye ninto manshima taishite.

Hi Andrew!

How long ago did you send this?

If it's been more than 3 or so days, I would send a reminder email.  Right now all emails to that address are being processed by hand (we don't have an automated process, etc).  Give it a little time in case things are backed up, but if it's been a few days, I'd send it again with a request that the receipt of it be acknowledged.

Just a note on my earlier post:  My email did bounce back to me.  Here is the mail delivery response.

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

customerservice@red-eagle-entertaiment.com

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:

DNS Error: Domain name not found"

I'll try a resend if it doesn't go through in a 2 or 3 days.

Andrew Gelos

Podcaster for The 4th Age (As opposed to The 4th Age podcaster, which sounds like I'm the only one  :-[ .

Hello Andrew,

I noticed that you have our e-mail address spelled incorrectly; you need to insert another "n" in the word "entertainment." 

Make this change and everything should work just fine.

Regards,

Larry

Thanks Larry-

I'll be sure to get that change in there.  I would like you to know however that I copied and pasted the email address from the original news link, so we may want to have someone go back in and edit it so it is correct.

Andrew Gelos

Podcaster for The 4th Age.

Finally we have official word on these books. A prologue Issue has been announced, It ships in April and begins the series.

From Dable Brothers Publishing

Robert Jordan's The Wheel Of Time: The Eye Of The World #0

by Chuck Dixon, Robert Jordan & Chase Conley

Regular Cover

78993_194123_4.jpg

Previews Exclusive Cover

78993_194124_5.jpg

Taken from www.PreviewsWorld.com

At long last, the Dabel Brothers proudly bring you the adaptation of Robert Jordan's epic fantasy masterwork: The Wheel of Time. The saga begins here with the "Fall of the Dragon" and the "Breaking of the World" in this prelude issue to the ongoing series. This edition is available with Regular and PREVIEWS Exclusive covers.

I'm more than ready for this book :D called my LCS (Local Comic Shop) and had them add it to my pull list as of today :D you should all do the same.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

Quote From Chuck Dixon's Message Board.

It's gonna be loooooooooongggg adaptation before we're through.

Basically figure a chapter per issue. The Dabel's are giving LOTS of room to stretch. NO Classics Illustrated abridging here.

A chapter per issue...I don't know, fitting a whole chapter in a standard 28 page comic is gonna be hard.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif     anim-ring.gif     The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

Quote From Chuck Dixon's Message Board.

Basically figure a chapter per issue. The Dabel's are giving LOTS of room to stretch. NO Classics Illustrated abridging here.

A chapter per issue...I don't know, fitting a whole chapter in a standard 28 page comic is gonna be hard.

Let us not forget that a lot of what RJ wrote were descriptions of the way things looked.  Comics being a visual medium, a lot of that "chapter" can be reduced.  Exposition can also be shortened with a visual cue of a face as well.  Just something to think about.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif     anim-ring.gif     The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

Doing the math on the Eye Of The World Adaptation. 54 Issues coming out 1 issue a month (not calculating in any delays) it will take 4 years and 5 months just to publish the full run at 1 chapter per issue. At this rate I figure it will be 41 years and 8 months to publish books 1 - 11. Anyone think that's a completely unfeasible length of time for a publisher to contract something like this for? As much I want these comics and want them done well...41 years that's as long as I have lived + 10 years on top. So either they are gonna speed this up publishing larger comics (48+ pages) or their going to do major edits and revisions to it in future runs to shorten the runs. That or run 2 to 3 issues per month. Or they may simply issue the whole GN as a single collect work for some o them. At any rate to do these issue by issue for the length of time required well...I don't see it as being a market reality. Especially with us rabid fans who want as much Wot as quickly as we can get it.

End Rant :D

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

There's no way their only doing one chapter per issue. Take New Spring for example, it's 8 issues and 26 chapters. Each book will probably average between 15-20 issues. Which means less than two years per book, which means 24 years. Which is still a long time. We'll see how long it'll last.

what exactly is a graphic novel?  is it similar to the manga comics?  if it is then why the hell wont they just release this instead of making us wait 41 or 24 years for the series. 

from what it seems here, they dont even want to finish the series at all.  kind of disappointing

There's no way their only doing one chapter per issue. Take New Spring for example, it's 8 issues and 26 chapters. Each book will probably average between 15-20 issues. Which means less than two years per book, which means 24 years. Which is still a long time. We'll see how long it'll last.

Chuck Dixon who is writing the scripts for the adaptation said this on his message board (concerning Eye Of The World)

So if that's the way it stays then I think my math still holds. At least for Eye Of The World.

Taken From www.Dablebrothers.com

The New Spring comic series, which is 8 issues long, was started in 2005 and was published up through issue #5. It tells the story of the search for the infant Dragon Reborn and of the adventures of Moiraine Damodred, a young Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, the uncrowned king of a long-dead nation. Dabel Brothers Publishing will be finishing the series in 2009, with issue #6 shipping in April, and issues 7 and 8 each shipping on a monthly basis thereafter.

Tor Books is proud to publish the New Spring graphic novel in November 2009. The Dabel Bros. will be adding special bonus material to the book, including developmental art, pages from scripts, and correspondence between Robert Jordan and Chuck Dixon.  New Spring the graphic novel will also have a stunning, brand new, fully painted cover by artist Michael Kormarck.

Well now this is good news :D I missed the first few issues of NS so having the trade released in November will be a good thing.

Also Concerning Eye Of The World

Also in April ‘09, Dabel Brothers Publishing will be releasing Dragonmount #0, which is a prequel and lead-in to the graphical adaptation The Eye of the World, the best-selling first volume of Robert Jordan’s acclaimed fantasy series, The Wheel of Time. The Dabels will be launching The Eye of the World in May. The book will feature art by Chase Conley, with Chuck Dixon helming the script adaptation. Subsequent issues will ship on a regular monthly basis.

Tor will publish the first Eye of the World graphic novel in July 2010. This graphic novel will collect the first 6 issues of the Eye of the World comic book and will feature similar bonus material and added content from the Dabels, as well as striking new cover art. Future graphic novel collections will be released on a regular basis, approximately every nine months.

Issue 6 comes out in April, 7 in May and 8 which i believe is the final issue will be out in June. Then the collected trade on November. All using the original scripts written for them by Chuck Dixon.