DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Can someone remind me...

trakand_01

How Moiraine knew Min?

I seem to remember that when they first went to Baerlon, it's remarked that Moiraine is already talking to her? I presume that Moiraine met her previously sometime, I dont remember it being a 'new' acquaintancy (not sure if that's a word, if not I just invented it)...?

Is it mentioned anywhere?

Moiraine dedicated her life to finding the Dragon Reborn. Min is around Rand's age. She was looking for somebody special within the age bracket known. Looking for someone special born around Rand no doubt uncovered some interesting people. Min was definitely one of those people.

The Encyclopaedia site tells that Moiraine and Lan meet Min on their way to Two Rivers.  Here is the page::

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org:8008/characters/m/min.html

Several other Aes Sedai has heard about Min, so she was probably studied by an Aes Sedai prior to Moirraines trip to the Two Rivers

The page only tells of another Blue Ajah Aes Sedia before Moiraine meets her.

"in the playground was where she spent most of her days"

I didnt realise Moiraine knew Min, I miss so much not reading it close enough...

Don't worry, you're not the only culprit. This only happens to me during action scenes but I'll skip some huge details in my excitement.

Anyway, Moiraine is definitely someone with contacts. My guess is that she's known Min since Min waslitle, maybe even a kid, since you see familiarity between them and Min seems to trust Moiraine, while she doesn't trust any other Aes Sedai (at the time) that she encounters.

Several other Aes Sedai has heard about Min, so she was probably studied by an Aes Sedai prior to Moirraines trip to the Two Rivers

The page only tells of another Blue Ajah Aes Sedia before Moiraine meets her.

This brings up an interesting question.  Considering how influential she has been to the events playing out now, what would be the odds that the "other" Blue Ajah Sedai that visited Min had been Gitara Moroso?  If I remember correctly, she was of the Blue.

She didnt die for him though. Shes not on the list. She died because he was born, in a roundabout way, but I reckon Rand would see the difference. She didnt die because she was loyal to him or because she followed him or whatever like the rest did.

But technically speaking, Liah didnt die because she followed him, she died because she wandered off and got trapped by mashadar - if she'd stayed with all the rest, she'd have got back just like they did... Moiraine didnt go through the doorway because Rand was there - technically again, Moiraine died for Egwene, because Lanfear was choking her, thinking she was Aviendha.

But technically speaking, Liah didnt die because she followed him, she died because she wandered off and got trapped by mashadar - if she'd stayed with all the rest, she'd have got back just like they did...
If she hadn't followed him to Shadar logoth, she wouldn't have died there.
Moiraine didnt go through the doorway because Rand was there - technically again, Moiraine died for Egwene, because Lanfear was choking her, thinking she was Aviendha.
Moiraine "died" to protect Rand. Many lives were at risk, but she acted to save Rand.

But technically speaking, Liah didnt die because she followed him, she died because she wandered off and got trapped by mashadar - if she'd stayed with all the rest, she'd have got back just like they did... Moiraine didnt go through the doorway because Rand was there - technically again, Moiraine died for Egwene, because Lanfear was choking her, thinking she was Aviendha.

I can see your meaning Trakand_01, but if we were to speak so literally then you could say all the women who have died didnt die for following Rand, but simply because they encountered someone that killed them. Gitara was never loyal to Rand; Rands list consists of women whose loyalty to him caused their deaths. As Ares said, if Liah-or anyone at all for that matter-didnt follow Rand, they would still be alive.

It's about guilt. These are women Rand feels responsible for the deaths of. Killing someone directly, and someone being killed because they obeyed an order you gave, or because they followed you, either can make you feel responsible for their deaths. Gitara is a bit different. With the others, he can feel that if he did something differently, he could have saved them - their deaths are his fault. He could not do anything to change Gitara Moroso's fate. If he had acted differently against Lanfear, Moiraine neddn't have died. He might think he could have done something non-lethal to stop the Darkfriend woman. He could have saved the Maidens if he hadn't put them in danger. And so on. Gitara was beyond his ability to save. Plus, he could have just forgotten about her.

Archived