DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is the most common scene model used in fantasy?

Asgard Thorin

I'm thinking the Moria Model. Abandoned dwarven homeland(under a mountain chain) taken over by an army of their greatest enemies. Place is ruled by a demonic of some sort. Heroes enter through secret door upon west, have to travel to the east. A chasm will be involved, and a battle on the bridge.....

And what is the most common scifi model? Is there a common scifi model? And what other common scene models are there? And how many other authors have used the Moria Model? Mckiernan, Salvatore, who else? (Brooks, I think)

Guest Winespring Brother

I'm not completely sure what you mean, but I think the most frequently occurring scene style in Fantasy is a Shire type one. You get a blissfully peaceful and backwards agricultural community that harbours an unlikely hero, who is forced to flee by the arrival of some dark force. I can think of all too many stories that have used such a setting.

The TAVERN. Dum dum dum! What will our heroes find in there? A mysterious stranger? A long lost friend/foe? A random villain who leads them to the big prize? A lot of ale and some willing tavern wenches? Only with the turn of the next page (or a 1 in 4 guess) will tell...

As for sci fi ... A dog fight involving anything from two to dozens of space ships and lazers pew pew!

In either or both ...

OMG you killd my master joo must DIE!!!11!

Or

OMG you killd my master I swear to have-my-revenge-once-I-spend-time-having- adventures-in-the-wilderness/other-and- thereby-experiencing-character-development!!!11!

most fantasy sci-fi pits a good vs evil concept as was modeled by tolkien. disney used it as does jordan and george lucas.

the darkest of evil usually carries out its actions via creatures resembling orcs, trollocs, trolls and humans with magical powers and twisted minds.

its a reflection of GOD vs satan in the christian world.

something i laff about with the sci-fi evil demons is there is no way they could ever win and take over because there would no longer be a foe fore either side to war with. good usually keeps evil at bay until its minions start trouble and there is need to rally and fight again.

Guest Karana Majin

Ooh, nice topic! Literate and literary.

I echo what others have said in that fantasy is practically defined by its depiction of good vs evil on some epic scale. In fact, I wold venture to say that's my definition of fantasy, even for books that are not traditionally labeled as such.

Now, for a model scene, how about the enslaved friends who need rescued, ending up in some sort of single dramatic contest? (Makes me think of Luke at Jabba's place, Star Wars is rife with model type scenes, which is probably why it's so successful.)

Cool! A moderator replied on my lowly thread! :)

I knew about Streams of Silver and the works of McKiernan Iron Tower, Silver Call. Who else has copied the Moria model? Someone told me Brooks did in his Shannara series, which I couldn't get into.

Another well copied element is some form of super metal(mithril, silveron, etc.) Did Tolkien invent mithril? I thought he had when I was a kid first reading Streams of Silver, but a friend told me different. I have encountered no evidence one way or another.

Another scene model is the idyllic or at least peaceful rural setting being the beginning, the first setting.

Another well copied element is some form of super metal(mithril' date=' silveron, etc.) Did Tolkien invent mithril? I thought he had when I was a kid first reading [i']Streams of Silver[/i], but a friend told me different. I have encountered no evidence one way or another.

Another scene model is the idyllic or at least peaceful rural setting being the beginning, the first setting.

From Wikipedia.

Mithril is a fictional material from J. R. R. Tolkien's universe, Middle-earth. It is a precious silvery metal, stronger than steel but much lighter in weight, which was mined by the Dwarves in the mines of Khazad-dûm. The name mithril comes from two words in Sindarin—mith, meaning "grey", and ril meaning "glitter". Mithril was also called "true-silver" by Men, while the Dwarves had their own, secret name for it. The metal's Quenya name is mistarille.

The article goes on to discuss how Tolkien got the idea and wether it is a real metal or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived