DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

KOD Contest

yeah they had to cancel the "contest" portion of it because their board was recieving too many hits at once. So then they just cancelled the prizes portion and it became a cool little "test your knowledge" thing with no prizes.

Maybe now they're finally going through to see how we did. I don't know. Congrats on 2nd place though!

Im kind of afraid it might be a fishing scheme, but the e-mail address is tor.com. Here is the e-mail I recieved and it also says what the prize is. They require some pretty wierd stuff to collect the prize, like a notarized affidavit and some personal info. I was afraid it might be a scam to get my personal info.

June 12 , 2006

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Congratulations! You have been randomly selected from a large pool of eligible participants as one of ten second place winners in the Knife of Dreams Sweepstakes, sponsored by Tor Books, LLC on www.knifeofdreams.com. As a second place winner, you will receive a leather-bound copy of either New Spring: The Novel, or Crossroads of Twilight (at Sponsor's sole option) with an estimated retail value of $200.00.

Please review the enclosed Affidavit of Eligibility/Release/Prize Acceptance Form, sign it, have it notarized and send it back to the following address: (Note: You do not need to include a social security #.)

Karen Lovell

Knife of Dreams Sweepstakes

Tor Books, LLC

175 Fifth Avenue, 13th floor

New York, NY 10010

We need to receive your response and the signed Affidavit within 14 days. If we don't hear from you by then, we may need to select a new winner in your place.

Thank you and congratulations! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Karen Lovell

Knife of Dreams Sweepstakes

Sponsored by Tor Books, LLC

Guest Egwene

send a copy of the e-mail to Tor directly using contact info from their website and ask them to verify this. It does sound a bit odd. If it is a scam, they'll be happy to have you inform them and might even put a note on their site to warn others. If it is genuine... congratulations!

Guest cwestervelt

That's assuming there is anyone at Tor that really cares. That is doubtful as far as I'm concerned.

Check out there website http://www.tor.com. If you go to the Tor SF And Fantasy you will find that they site hasn't been updated in about a year. At the top of the page, you still have the add banner pointing to the Knife of Dreams internet hunt that says "beginning this August 2, 2005!"

That is my one real issue with Tor. They publish some great books, but there customer relations isn't worth crap.

There's not really anything in that email to suggest it's some kind of scam. The address is a legit Tor books address. So what exactly would it hurt to just follow through on the instructions? It's not like they're asking for your personal info, like bank info, social security number, or driver's license number. Nobody is going to be able to steal your identity with a signed prize form.

Archived