DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'Wheel of Time' similarities of itself

mb

At times when fiction has multiple groups, there is similarities in different things.

This thread is to talk about similarities of different Wheel of Time things.

Similarities to things outside this series are to be excluded from this thread.

Similarities I found::

With Cairhien, Illian, Mayene, and Tear; the nation has the same name as its capital.

Cairhien and Mayene, either a king or queen is its ruler.

Illian and Tear, High Lords are part of its government.

People of Cairhien and Tear (at least the city of the name) are often skilled at Daes Dae'mar.

Andor, Seanchan, Atha'an Miere, and Aes Sedia; the ruler is always a female.

Aes Sedia, Ashaman, Shara; each are ruled by a channeler.

Min, Foretellers, Dreamers, and seemingly Dreamwalkers; each can know the future.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Similarities to things outside this series are to be excluded from this thread.
Because that worked so well in previous threads.

Shara; each are ruled by a channeler.
No. Shara is supposedly ruled by the Sh'boan or Sh'botay, and there is nothing saying this person is a channeler (and evidence against, given that they have a man ruling for seven years, and what we know of the Ayyad and how they treat their men). Actual power is held by the Ayyad, making it a de facto oligarchy.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Aes Sedia; the ruler is always a female.

Well, given that they don't allow men to join, it'd be pretty tough to have a male leader....

Aes Sedia, Ashaman, Shara; each are ruled by a channeler.

Apart from the Shara bit, which Mr Ares has already addressed, the other two groups are socities/organisations of channelers... It'd be pretty stupid to hand over the leadership to a non-channeler.

Many characters have very similar names. For example, Matrim Cauthons first name is only one letter different from Mazrim Taims, yet at the same time they sound so different. I find that late in the series I can almost determine a characters nationality just by looking at the names. Many of the nobles' first names have three or four syllables-Wieramon, Talmanes, Nalesean, Semaradrid-and Borderlanders seem to have less grandoise names-Lan, Isam, Ingtar, Agelmar, you get the picture. Very realistic

• 2 weeks later...

Padan Fain & Mazrim Taim; besides name similarities, both are looked at suspiciously.  Fain by almost all Light-sided characters; Taim by at least some characters.

Wisdoms, damane, Aiel Wise Ones, Sea Folk Windfinders; each have the capability to channel and generally not Tower trained.

Aiel & Sea Folk; both are little known about and both know about the lands beyond the Waste.

Andor, Seanchan, Atha'an Miere, and Aes Sedia; the ruler is always a female.

Seanchan can have an Emporer (may he live forever) or an (Empress may she live forever), but not a ruling couple because of the nature of the ruling person's seat (The Crystal Throne), and the lack of a double.

Rand, Mat and Perrin all have hair.

Both Perrin and Bella have legs.

Both are too general.  Can you be any more specific?

Moraine and Egwene are both female.  Coincidence?  I think not! :)

Lan and Rand both use swords.

Ok, all smart ass comments aside, this could be a good topic to discuss how RJ built his world in a realisitc way.  Though I am at a loss for a real comparison at the moment.

This is a comparison on the differences of a similarity.  :P

This is a breakdown of what I could remember of the many ways for a character to bond or link his/her mind and/or body to another/others

Aes Sedai to Warder bond-both receive strength; Warder can sense shadowspawn; shared sense of bonded’s health condition, mental state, and exact direction fades with distance though knowledge of manner and time death will not; will of bondee kept intact, though can be enforced to action through AS manipulation of bond (detectable)

AS to Male W (non-channeler)

AS to A’M

AS to Female W (non-channeler)-seemingly added “mirror” effect to feelings and physical state between bondeds

AS to Female W (channeler) [Don’t think we’ve seen that]

{2 AS + 1 Female (non-channeler) “first-sister” bonded} to Male channeler

Asha’man to bondee-shared sense of health condition, mental state, and exact direction may not fade over distance; enforcement of A’M’s will seemingly built-in

A’M to AS

A’M to A’M [Don’t even know if this is possible, though can't imagine why not]

A’M to Female (non-channeler)

First-Sibling bond-a One Power staging of rebirth with new found sibling and surrogate mother; sense of bonded’s “being” (not necessarily any condition of that being)

Sul’dam to damane-forced link; S’d has complete control of damane’s ability to channel; S’d can sense and alter physical feelings of damane; real pain does not equal real wounds; damane suffers 10X what happens to S’d but does not sense it

AS to AS link-only possible with willingness to join circle; awareness of physical and mental state of those linked with; when more than 2 in circle, linked cannot determine whose feelings are whose; assuming all this goes for linking with mix of both genders

Did I miss any types or points?

I don't know if the telepathic link between wolfbrothers and wolves counts or not. The Chosen are linked to the DO, and this allows him to know the time and manner of their deaths, to detect their channeling, to speak to them in their thoughts, and I don't know what all else...

Also, there is the mind trap, but I am not certain if that's actually a link.

Rand, Mat and Perrin all have hair.

Both Perrin and Bella have legs.

Both are too general.  Can you be any more specific?

Moraine and Egwene are both female.  Coincidence?  I think not! :)

Lan and Rand both use swords.

Those are also too general.

Some questions to consider::

-About Cillian's comments:

--Do Rand & Mat & Perrin have the same kind of hair?

--Do Perrin & Bella have the same kind of legs?

-About Bert's comments:

--Is Moraine's femininity the same as Egwene's femininity?

--Does Lan use his sword the same way Rand uses his?  Or do both have the same kind of sword?

*head desk* I forgot all about the "black wires" connecting the Forsaken to the DO. Basically their link to immortality (& for the men taint-free saidin), but I thought anyone (before Shaidar Haran) had to go to Shayol Ghul to converse with the DO and "bath in his presence" ???

Mindtrap, very good, and very good point. What exactly is the nature of that bond/link? There hasn't been any evidence (that I can remember) of a channeling link between trapholder and trapped. It seems from Moridin's POV that the mindtrap itself is a physical manifestation of the trapped's mental state. If he'd squished Moggy's mindtrap, Moggy's mind might as well have been squished. Yet from Moggy's POV in Ebou Dar, she's worried she may have overstepped herself trying to kill Nyneave on the harbour. I can't quote it, but there's something in what I remember that suggests that Moridin could at least tell where Moggy was.

Any light to shed?

Oh, I think you're right; they have to be at Shayol Ghul in order to hear his voice. Still, it's a link of a sort.

Moghedien considers at Shadar Logoth how Moridin knows she is there, but not what she is doing, so she figures she is safe just watching the cleansing rather than fighting like the other Chosen who are present at it, so there has to be some way of him knowing where she is by way of the mindtrap. Maybe Cyndane will ponder the trap a bit in aMoL, and we'll get a better, maybe even technical, view of it.

It is too bad that we have an expert on the One Power, but all of her POV's are just fatal attraction, psycho-stalker stuff. Heck, we get more useful stuff from Aran'Gar, the lech, than we do from Lanfear/Cyndane, the scientist. At least Aran'Gar tells us a little about the Ansaline Gardens. Cyndane would have just remembered dining there with Lews Therin before he left her for that chit, Illyena, work herself up into a rage over it, then kill somebody.  :P

EDIT: Ooh, what about the Ogier and the Longing? Is that a sort of bond between them and the Stedding?

Those are also too general.

Some questions to consider::

-About Cillian's comments:

1. --Do Rand & Mat & Perrin have the same kind of hair?

2. --Do Perrin & Bella have the same kind of legs?

-About Bert's comments:

3. --Is Moraine's femininity the same as Egwene's femininity?

4. --Does Lan use his sword the same way Rand uses his? 

5.Or do both have the same kind of sword?

My numbers.

1. Yes. It is essentially protein that emerges from small holes on the skin. Both Mat and Perrin keep it in good nick using Pantene Pro-V. Perrin uses the "Natural Curls" variety while Mat goes for, "Sun Damaged."

2. No. Because Bella is a horse and Perrin is a human.

3. Yes, they are after all, both women.

4. Yes, both use their hands. However, Lan has a choice about how many hands he uses, Rand has only the one.

5. By all accounts they are similar to katanas. As are all heron-marked ones.

Nothing an amputation and some duct tape can not fix... ;D

You disgust me.  ;D

p.s. Fix your quotes you old duffer.  :P

[quote author=The Thin Inn Keeper link=topic=38184.msg1002409#msg1002409 Edit: Oops. Happy now, mate?

Yes. Thanks.  :P

Moghedien considers at Shadar Logoth how Moridin knows she is there, but not what she is doing, so she figures she is safe just watching the cleansing rather than fighting like the other Chosen who are present at it, so there has to be some way of him knowing where she is by way of the mindtrap. Maybe Cyndane will ponder the trap a bit in aMoL, and we'll get a better, maybe even technical, view of it.

It is too bad that we have an expert on the One Power, but all of her POV's are just fatal attraction, psycho-stalker stuff. Heck, we get more useful stuff from Aran'Gar, the lech, than we do from Lanfear/Cyndane, the scientist. At least Aran'Gar tells us a little about the Ansaline Gardens. Cyndane would have just remembered dining there with Lews Therin before he left her for that chit, Illyena, work herself up into a rage over it, then kill somebody.  :P

LMAO!!

That’s right.....I remember now.  :)

EDIT: Ooh, what about the Ogier and the Longing? Is that a sort of bond between them and the Stedding?

I think the Ogier/Stedding connection is more like a result of evolution, where being without something made them dependent on it.

Can’t Ogier feel when they’re close to a stedding? So maybe it is a type of bond.

• 2 months later...
-Darkhounds and Draghkar both use bite to kill.

Draghkar use a kiss, not a bite. and they don't so much kill as suck the life out of you

The victim's death involves the mouth with both creatures.

TEoTW was a book.

As was TGH.

As was TDR.

As was TSR.

As was TFoH.

As was TLoC.

As was CoS.

As was PoD.

As was WH.

As was CoT.

As was KoD.

As was NS.

As was the BWB.

I am therefore confident in predicting that AMoL will also be a book (or possibly two).

Archived