DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Spring Revised?

Hey, this is my first post here. Sorry if this is a question that's been asked over and over; I've tried looking through various FAQs and haven't been able to find an answer.

I recently acquired a hardcover version of New Spring, which I haven't read yet. I notice that its ISBN (0641724403) is different from that of the edition of New Spring described as revised.

How big are the differences between the two editions? Is it worth returning the edition I have now and getting the revised edition?

Hey and Welcome!

The first edition of New Spring was published in an anthology of fantasy short stories called Legends. The second edition includes everything the first had, but is roughly twice the size. The first had none of the events that took place in Tar Valon, and started with Lan riding into the Borderland town--the name of which i cannot recall. There would be no real point in either buying, or reading it.

One thing which has been bugging me is why did RJ release New Spring before KOD? New Spring gave us Moiraine's background and how she bonded Lan, yet I feel that there is more to it...

Are there any hints about who is (or isnt) black which I missed? I remember Moiraine thinking that Cadsuane may be black but I think that's a red herring.

anyone got an idea?

New Spring was released as part of a group of three outside novels. The other two were supposed to be about Tam's life outside the Two Rivers, and how Moiraine came to be in the Two Rivers at the right time. When the New Spring novel recieved some criticism (that it was distracting RJ from the main sequence novels) he decided to put off the other two indefinately.

There was absolutely no significance to him releasing it before KoD. Most of the plot points had already been known to people since the initial publishing in legends, which was just before PoD became paperback... i believe.

That was my first impression...

However I came across a post where Cadsuane mentioned that she was in the White Tower researching Callandor, which would place the events slightly before New Spring...

Also , I think there might be hint as to which Aes Sedai / Accepted Mesaana actually replaced.

I don't know if this makes any sense to you, but I feel that RJ may have put some hints to minor plots...

He threw in some connections, like we meet Cabriana and we first see the friendship between her and Anaiya setting up the uncovering of Aran'gar. Also we know that Cads spent a couple of months in the tower during the Aiel war, before she ran into Moiraine in the Borderlands.

Archived