DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hey Howdy from Silicon Valley, California

White_star

I am a member at wotmaina also but I find I get ignored there so I have been snooping for quite sometime around here (especially since WOTISM went down)and I have posted occasionally but I have yet to introduce myself, so here goes.

I am immediately southeast of SF bay in California, USA.  I have been reading the WOT since Winter Heart came out and I have been hooked ever since.  I have reread the entire series several times now.  My favorite character is Rand since the beginning.  I thought it was going to be Mat or Thom with Rand being a close second but Rand quickly stole my heart because although Mat and Thom are funny, Rand has more characteristics I admire in people (in addition and besides physical beauty). 

However much I love this series, and I am very appreciative of RJ for doing such a fine job on it, it is just a fictional series to me so I don't get overly worked up about it.  I have never been to a convention or a book signing.  I have many more important things to occupy my time so I don't get too involved by writing theories and whatnot. 

I also tend to think outside the box.  When I do think about WOT stuff I like to think about what might have happened if things went a little different in the books, or about what might have happened off page like from when Egwene first comes on page in 'Ravens' in the Starscape edition to the beginning of the events in TEOTW.  Most of what I think of is pure speculation and I have notice that most people don't like that so I refrain from posting my thoughts.

It is refreshing to see so many Rand fans here and for the most part people seem to be polite towards each other, something I can't say for WOTISM or wotmania (I might not have read enough to be sure though  :-\). 

I love seeing so many people around the world interested in the WOT.  I hope to get to know this site and its inhabitants better.  :)

Wotmania has a bad habit of making sure newbies 'know their place'; I didn't stick around there that long myself.  Which means, to my bemusement, many of the people I knew back in the way olden days are staff now; go fig.  *grins*

In general, DM is a lot more welcoming to new people, and most of us are very happy to help people find their way around the site as need be.  So if you have any questions about anything in specific, feel free to ask!

Anyways, welcome to our 'little' madhouse; hope you find it cozy-like!

Hey Whitestar, I'm from Silicon valley myself^^, Santa Rosa which is north east of san fran^^

welcome to our little house of horrors! look around the orgs and see if you find something you like. Theres also a sticky at the top of this forum with a little tidbit about each org.

I'm a "Mat" groupie myself- I like the humor he brings to the series^^. I'd also say that my favorite villain is Fain, he's a very odd little man who hasn't had to much spot light in the later books which makes me sad.

Any hobbies or sports your into?

Are you in Gilroy? Because I had to go to Gilroy for work last week. I also stopped at the outlet mall and got a pair of shoes (I like shoes. A lot). It was ok. I'm from SF bay also, and I tend to range up and down the peninsula for work, home, and my social life. Around here, I tend to hang out with the 'Chan, the Sig boards, and occasionally in the CoL. Welcome to the place.

-Cads

NorCal born and raised.

Thanks for the welcomes :) I must say, there does seem to be quite a few youngsters here (no insult intended)  ;).  It makes me feel old but then wisdom comes with age (I hope).

Wotmania has a bad habit of making sure newbies 'know their place';

They sure do and most over there REALLY don't like speculation posts.  I post there once in a blue moon but when I do post something it is often replied(If I get a reply at all) with the air of "you idiot" in it. They are a very closed minded bunch over there with very little imagination. I hope this place proves different ;).

I'm a "Mat" groupie myself- I like the humor he brings to the series^^.

I like Mat's humor too but his complaining got on my nerves in books 2-5 and I may sound old fashion but I found him to be a drunken, womanizer sicko in books 3-5 especially.

Any hobbies or sports your into?

I have many hobbies I would like to spend more time in but when I do find time for hobbies I like: going to ren. fairs (assuming I can find someone to go with), gardening, model building, any arts & crafty type stuff, and I am starting to get into jewelery making. I also like fine art, and I love science. As for sports, I don't like watching any and I don't know how good I am at any but I do like playing hockey, soccer, and especially archery(I actually am pretty good at this). I also like to throw a ball around assuming anyone will do that with me.

Hey Whitestar, I'm from Silicon valley myself^^, Santa Rosa which is north east of san fran^^
Are you in Gilroy? Because I had to go to Gilroy for work last week.  It was ok. I'm from SF bay also,

I am actually in Fremont which is southeast of the SF bay but it is right on the bay between Milpitas and Newark. The east side of The Dumbarton bridge is part of Fremont. It is hard to find places for archery here. :(

I also stopped at the outlet mall and got a pair of shoes (I like shoes. A lot).

I like shoes too  ;D but it is hard to find my width in styles I like.

Ahhh, I thought you meant you were south and east of the bay area, not in the bay area. My grandparents lived in Fremont for quite a few years, so I was there a lot during childhood. I think I've been there only once in the last 15 years, though. *g*

Since you're into arts and crafts and stuff like that, you may want to look at/join the Illuminators org. There are some fun projects to work on, and you can show off things you've made or get ideas from other people.

Welcome to DM White_star!

And I should tell you I actually like speculating about the same things you do when I read the books. Feel free to drop me a pm if you ever want to talk. Mind I am a tad bit rusty on the books but i think I would understand you.

While your here check out the White Tower organization. We don't discuss theories but we go through the ranks of Aes Sedai and Warders. Its quit fun. If you decide to join come by my home the Reds. It'd be great to interact with yet another individual there.

Welcome to DM!

Just noticed you liked Archery...so the Archers at the Band of the Red Hand ORG could be up your street. You don't need to have any love of music or travel (our ORG themes), but you will be more than welcome to join! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived