DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why does Berelain get special treatment from Aiel?

Perrin 187

Probably because they recognize her difference from the other nobles, such as those from Cairhien.  Berelain isn't always jockeying for power, or lying, or plotting to stab people in the back.  And I think the Aiel recognize that that is not necessarily just because she is not from Cairhien.  Also, as Rand's "steward" (what's the proper term?) in Cairhien, she has a lot of contact with Rhuarc, especially since she's pretty much the only one who's not deathly afraid of the Aiel and doesn't consider them savages.

It might be that she was Rands steward however it might also be the fact that the aiel think that she slept with Rand back in Tear. Also she is alot like the aiel in the fact that she grew up surviving the attempts Tear made at her life and and trying to make Mayene part of Tear. She also was the first to support Rand without being invaded.

Doesn't Rhuarc think of her like a daughter? and the wise ones treat her as an equal?

As for why, I would guess her actions have proven that she wants to keep a hold on her little kingdom, no more no less, just like the aiel wise ones want to keep the remanant of a remanant as large as possible, and the Aiel see her actions (after being set straight by Rhuarc and the wise ones) as being similar to how they think things should go.

The Aiel know that she did not sleep with Rand and they kept her away from him after the first attempt. Once she gave that idea up however, they started to respect her more. I think there was a tanning involved as well =p

When you can get by the bosom falling out of her dress and actually learn from the mind controlling said bosom, she is very intelligent and doesn't take *%&# from nobody.

Problem is alot of people, men especially, can't do the first part. Yes I am one of them. WE IS STUPID when it comes to that! ;D

I explained this quite matter-of-factually some time ago in a different thread.  I don't recall which one, so here it goes again.

When the other Aiel were fighting in the blood snow of the battle outside Tar Valon when Rand was being born, Rhuarc was stationed with the septs on the southern campaign.  It was their job to intercept Laman and company if they tried to double back and make a run for safety in the Stone of Tear.  Rhuarc and a group of his Red Shields were sent on a scouting mission to the southern tip of the Spine of the World.  This brought them very close to Mayene.

At that time, Berelain's mother was not yet married to the soon to be First of Mayene.  She was waiting tables at a small inn at the northern border of the small country.  Rhuarc and his men stopped in to get a mug of ale and to shoot some dice while they were waiting for their pack mules to be reshod.  Berelain's mom was instantly taken with Rhuarc and he with her.  One glass of wine led to another and next thing you know, nine months later, the wife of the First of Mayene who used to be a common serving girl gives birth to Berelain.  Rhuarc doesn't recognize his daughter in the Stone until after they have their little chat.  Kinda like Thom and Elayne.  Anyway, Rhuarc tells the wise ones who he is now married to that the fling didn't really mean anything at all so they forgive him and tell all of the other wise ones through their dreams that Berelain is Aiel.  How can they not accept her?  She's blood kin!  ;D

* gazes into a nearby mirror *

* eyes are still a deep brown *

Yup.

I'm still full of &%it.

;D

I still enjoy telling a good whopper now and again.

Does the soul good.

Hope I didn't offend any of the serious people who can't smile any more because they've forgotten how to.  :-[

Sometimes, you just gotta let the old long white hair down!

:)

Hope I didn't offend any of the serious people who can't smile any more because they've forgotten how to.  :-[

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." - Einstein

I think it's because she has stopped a larger more powerful nation invading Mayene by using ANY means neccessary. I think the Aiel respect her because she is not like other wetlander women who they think are soft. Berelain knows her weapons (her breats) and uses them to get her way.

Archived