DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Would you accept Healing?

GrandpaG

Now, wait.

Stop.

Think this over REALLY good before you answer.

The question is not as easy to answer as you might first imagine.

It requires being able to access your deepest imagination.

Assume that all of this WOT stuff is real and that OUR age has the One Power available for use if we can only discover that it exists.  Some lucky soul discovers how to perform Healing.  Nothing else.  Just Healing.  They don't really know what they are doing or how they are doing it (sort of like Nynaeve and her magical use of herbs).  But they get to be world renown as a mystical, magical healer.  Would you seek healing from that person?  Or would you be afraid of it like Rand was when he had no choice but to ask Moraine to save Tam's life?

Like I said.

To REALLY answer this honestly, you'll have to let your brain run for a while to do that much imagining.

Enjoy.

==================================================================

"A bad day in fantasy is better than a good day in reality."

-- GrandpaG original saying.

Guest Dreadlord

I would probably decline Healing from that person unless the Healing was recognised and put to common use. I wouldnt want my body being tampered with in a manner that only one person understands. So unless either they were proffessionally recognised or I discovered my own channeling strength-which of course makes Rand look like a non-channeler in comparison-then I would say no. I wouldnt be looking for that person

probably not.

if they are the only one using the OP and not even aware of it i would just put them aside with religious morons that think they can heal anything by the power of God ab´nd a slap on the head.

bad description, i know. but you get what i mean

I would rather not set myself up to be a guinea pig, but in the case of Rand or if I had some terrible disease that was so painful, I probably would consider it even if it wasn't accepted by the doctors around. It is amazing how much a little (or alot) of pain can change your feelings. Or if you see someone you love in alot of pain. Good Thread, as usual Grandpa G. :)

If I learned healing, I wouldn't be able to keep it quiet.

I can see word getting around.

Rich people wanting me to heal them first.

Especially if I could have someone grow a new kidney (like McCoy did in their visit to the past in one of the Star Trek movies)...or if I could cure asthma or cancer or diabetes...or Parkinson's disease.

I'd probably become quite sought after.

I could name my price.

A lot of the present day healers would hate my guts for putting them out of business...especially the ones who don't know how to do anything other than prescribe drugs...they'd lose their livelihood if somebody actually started Healing people.

--------------------------------

If it was someone else who had learned to do the healing, I'd probably be skeptical.  And, I wouldn't go to them unless I had no other alternatives.  Some people in our town took their daughter all the way to Mexico to try to get better treatment of her asthma.  If I had a chance to save the life of one of my kids or grandkids, and had no other options, I'd be on the first bus to find the Healer with every dime I could muster.

Maybe it would be best if MORE than one person could learn?

If Healing was possible in "our" world, not unless the one healing me was a close friend or someone else I could completely trust.

Next to that, it would have to be something that would cause my death if I wasn't healed.

Like Nynaeve healing Egwene before she knew she was channeling.

Otherwise; please keep your hands off me!

With my chronic neck back and knee pain, id be hard pressed not to take healing. Ive said for years, when they figure out how to make bionic body parts and need testers, sign me up!! Now for something along the lines of a sickness like flu or cold or something like that no, why bother. So personally it would be a case of how major the pain/disease was

If I learned healing, I wouldn't be able to keep it quiet.

-Neither would I.  I don't know who'd be more psyched, me or the people I healed.

I can see word getting around.

-Yes, whether word is true or not (especially here in Virginia/United States).  Our society thrives on rumor and gossip, which explains why Weekly World News managed to survive so long.

Rich people wanting me to heal them first.

-Especially the ones who are into alternative/holistic medical practices.

Especially if I could have someone grow a new kidney (like McCoy did in their visit to the past in one of the Star Trek movies)...or if I could cure asthma or cancer or diabetes...or Parkinson's disease.

-Star Trek IV..  Ahh, good times, good times.  :)

I'd probably become quite sought after.

But you might fear for your life from hard-liners who'd think you were some kind of freak dabbling in the occult.

I could name my price.

Unless you live in Sweden or some other country with completely socialized medicine.  Oh, the crazy Age in which we live.  Politics are madness far worse than could ever be caused by the taint of saidin, and this is a madness which, unfortunately, cannot be Healed.

A lot of the present day healers would hate my guts for putting them out of business...especially the ones who don't know how to do anything other than prescribe drugs...they'd lose their livelihood if somebody actually started Healing people.

They'd probably find some way to make you mysteriously disappear.  But who would be behind it?  The Wall Street sharks?  Or the bloated oligarchy of pharmaceutical companies?  We may never know... -_-

Like Bonzo said, good topic as always.  ;)

To me, it would depend on how quickly the person could come from the time it is needed and also on the means for contacting the person.

If contacting and traveling would be quick, I might.  If not, I probably would not.

Aes Sedai had been performing Healing for countless generations when Rand had Moraine Heal Tam.  Because of the general distrust of Aes Sedai in Randland, he hesitated.  His ONLY available option, and he could see nothing but a big old worm threaded onto a fish hook.  Some people travel many miles to Tar Valon to seek Healing.  Others, like Rand, are affraid of it when it is close at hand.

If someone who died when I was born could see the miracles taking place today, just fifty+ years later, they'd be totally blown away.  Maybe fifty+ years from now, things will improve equally.  Maybe by then someone actually WILL figure out how to access sadair or saidin?  :-\

If you'd like to be entertained by that topic, go to the General Discussion board and find the old thread called "Really...Can I Learn To Channel?" (or something along that line).

Because of the general distrust of Aes Sedai in Randland, he hesitated.

but without said distrust, the choice wouldnt have had a hesitation. its not the healing that is in question, but the healer. taking that out of the equation makes it a totally different question. and while that would have to be considered in your choice to be healed or not, if there is no stigma around the healer, im sure many people would be right there for healing, many many of them for minor things even, because noone likes to suffer, and an end to suffering is a powerful thing to be able to choose.

Archived