DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dream Wards

White_star

Are Rand's dreams still protected?

I know setting up a dream ward requires very little OP and is done almost automatic but Rand can't even embrace the OP without getting very sick, can he still set his up? Is he vulnerable to invasion in this area again by ANY one(Wise Ones and Eggy included)?

I also know a Warder's bond supplies some protection of dreams, but does distance effect it? Both, Elayne and Alanna are pretty far away now and I don't know if Aviendha knows how to set-up dream wards. Is the protection a Warder gets even an automatic benefit at all (like longer life and going longer w/out things like sleep or food), or does the AS have to set up the ward for the Warder's dreams to be covered?

That's it. Thank you in advance for any serious answer. :)

He is protected through the bond, but i imagine he continues to shield his dreams anyway--the nausia lasts only minutes, and he only avoids it because he doesn't want people to see it--lying down before he sleeps it would be a simple matter to conceal the nausia.

Where is the confirmation that Warders are protected? I dont doubt it, only I never saw anything saying that. I always thought Rand just left the ward he placed on his dreams there and it stayed, just like the ward Damer Flynn put around Rands wounds stayed there without needing maintaining

Where is the confirmation that Warders are protected? I dont doubt it, only I never saw anything saying that.

It is in Dragon Reborn Chapter 6.  From the scene (starting with Perrin)::

"How can my dream tell where Rand is going?" he asked. "It was my dream."

"Those who can channel the One Power," Moiraine said quietly, "those who are particularly strong in Spirit, can sometimes force their dreams on others." [...] "Especially on those who are--susceptible.  I do not believe Rand did it on purpose, but the dreams of those touching the True Source can be powerful. For those strong as he, they could seize an entire village, or perhaps a city.  He knows little of what he does, and even less of how to control it."

"Then why didn't you have it too?" he demanded. "Or Lan?" [...] "Why?"

Moiraine answered calmly. "Aes Sedia learn to shield their dreams.  I do it without thinking, when I sleep.  Warders are given something much the same in the bonding.  The Gaidin could not do what they must if the Shadow could steal into their dreams. We are all vulnerable when we sleep, and the Shadow is strong in the night."

I think Rand is still warding his own dreams since it seemed to become habit by the time Alanna bonded him.

Archived