DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

(Moved from Tinker DG) Channelers amongst the Tuatha'an

Talya

I don't know if this has been discussed before.

But if the Tuatha'an are related to the Aiel as we know they are and the Aiel has channelers amongst them, then surely the Tuatha'an do too. I can't remember if there is any mention in the books of this or what happens to them. Do they go off to be AS?

Does anyone have any idea?

I had a quick look around and I think you nare right, they take them straight to the White Tower, drom what I can see too they don't try to channel on their own neither. I guess this stems from when they served the AS in the Age of Legends.

So what happens to the men that channel? Do they go off somewhere, taken to the White Tower to be gentled? :-\

I think we're probably talking only about Wilders in this case - those who are capable are learning most likely just go unrecruited. (also, the Tuatha'an are not pureblood Aiel - they include many who have joined from various nationalities over the many years, so there's plenty of chance for channelers to be born among the)

As far as male wilders, I would guess that when they eventually start causing trouble the Reds come and get them.....

actually, I think the men would leave the caravan for fear of going against the Way of the Leaf in their insanity and turn themselves in. what they do after that, I'm not sure. but the females that can teach themselves, i believe they do stay there to be healers or cooks (cooking goes by a heck of a lot faster if you can have a raging fire going int he blink of an eye) and the ones who can't control it get shipped off

See my answer in "Favorite Channelers" over in the General WOT Discussion.

Over there, I was clowning around (as usual).

I don't remember reading anything about this subject in the series.  I doubt that RAW, Luckers, ClogLord, or the Maj will pop in here to provide an answer, so I'll add my guess to those above.

Females born with the spark:

Even unaided, they eventually touch the true source like Nynaeve did and one out of four survive.  Had Nynaeve never met Moraine, she might have lived her whole life without really understanding her special abilities.  She would have performed miracles with her herbs.  She would have been the local weather lady.  She might have accidentally blew something to bits here and there and wrote it of as a peculiar circumstance..."gee, whiz, that lightning bolt just came out of a clear sky and turned old Jakes house to dust.  That'll teach him to mess with me.  Odin and Thor must be on my side."  Anyway, Tuatha'an probably have unknowing wilders in their midst.  Only one out of four, remember.  The rest die young and violently.

Females who can learn:

Probably live "normal" lives.  Suldam in the Seanchan are pretty normal except for controlling the damane and they didn't know that they were using the One Power to do that until just recently.  Over 1,000 years of ignorance or denial.  Tuatha'an women who can learn to channel probably never know that they have the ability.  Just wait until the Aes Sedai discover that little treasure like they did the bounty of the Two Rivers!  They'll be hunting down every group of wagons they can find.  Should go faster now that they have learned to Travel.  ;D  (Sorry...I have a hard time staying "serious" for very long...kinda like Uno trying not to swear).  :-[

Male channelers:

Will be exiled.  Just as the Tuatha'an turned their backs on the "lost" Aiel, a male channeler would become an outcast.  Thom's nephew was able to stay in his home town for a short while but eventually the taint got to him.  Same with Rand in some of his alternate worlds that he saw while inside the Portal Stone headed for Falme.  My guess is that as soon as a male channels one time he is abandoned beside the road to fend for himself.  Maybe that's where Mazrim Taim came from?  ::)  ???  (Sorry)  :-[  Anyway, they would watch the wagons disappear from view and would not follow because of their beliefs.  Those who did not starve would go mad and self-destruct eventually.  IMO.  :)

As a side note to Talya, did you see my entry in that other thread?  ;)

I agree, for the most part. Two-Rivers was an exception though, because of the blood of Manetheren running so strong there. I would expect that most nationalities don't have such a high proportion of those who can learn to channel, and the Tuatha'an would be similar. Also, despite the Aes Sedai's ability to travel, Tinkers will still be harder to find than most, after all, they move around a lot. It's not a matter of covering ground because Tinkers don't move too fast, it's a matter of knowing where they are. They might actually have better luck catching up to a caravan on horseback than by Traveling or Skimming, since with either of those it would be easy to pass the caravan without realizing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of hard evidence, but I can't remember which book it is. However, in one book it mentions in passing of a Tuatha'an Aes Sedai. So I'm positive that females among the Tuatha'an that turn out to be wilders head to the White Tower. As to the males, I agree with GrandpaG, they are exiled. Remember in the fourth book when Rand goes to Rhuidean and has all those memories? In one of them, one of the Tuatha'an throws himself off of a cliff when he learns he can channel pg 421/422.

I thought they sent the one that could channel to the Tower. and the male jumping off the cliff makes sense. I can't see them just going off anywhere if they can channel, I think they would take it on themselves to end their lives. Believing how they do, they wouldn't want themselves to be running around capable of destruction, it goe against every thing so suicide seemd the most logical.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

but what if they are wilders and don't know if they are channeling like the females? And the ones that do would probably use the power for personal gain since they think they'll die of madness sometime soon. at least the ones that don't go to the Black Tower probably would.

imo, that question depends on th type of person the character is and I doubt it will be covered to the extent we wish it would be in AMOL

• 2 months later...

It is addressed in the last book.  And, since I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read the series (don't like people who do that, even if the books have been out forever) - scroll down, unless someone can show me how to highlight.

******spoiler alert***********

I believe it was Mat who was speaking to one of the Tuatha'an, who was heading south towards Ebon Dar.  He said to watch for the Seanchan who will search their wagons for channelers.  The Mahdi (I think) said they don't worry about because if a girl is found to be able to channel, all the wagons go to the Tower to drop her off.

And since I don't have my books, can't give you a reference, but I remember that as being interesting.

now that you mention it, I do seem to remember reading about that! It's just been so long since I've read the series, lol. once i get some money saved up, i'm buying new ones since I had to leave mine behind (my EotW got stoken >_<) and my fiance is lacking EotW and the rest after LoC

but thanks for reminding me! This will help in RP on my site, lol.

Archived