DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dyelin's talk to Rand in Lord of Chaos

42Bonzo88

There have been many threads and discussions about Luc and Tigraine and Gitara, one started by myself, so I apologize for another one, but I just read this part and would like your opinion.

Lord of Chaos Ch. 16 Tellings of the Wheel pg. 384-86 It says that Gitara spent more time with Luc and Tigraine than with the queen and she supposedly sent Luc to the Blight one year before Tigraine to the waste.

My question is did she suspect that Luc was a darkfriend and sent him away to protect Tigraine?

For those who have seen tooooo many threads on this subject I apologize but its fresh in my mind. :)

It's extremely tough to get a good picture of what or who Luc/Isam is.  It's reasonably debatable that Luc himself was not a DF, since it is somewhere referenced that Luc and Isam met and fought in the blight.  Meaning it's not likely in my opinion.  However I do beleive that part of his story will unfold in the last book.  Rather, I hope it will as I'm quite curious to see the finer details in that specific exchange/plotline.

I know this isnt helpful, however the information RJ provided is rather vague in respect to what/who exactly Slayer is.  An assassin sure, but why?  How?  None of those questions have been answered.

For all that Slayers a bad guy he's done things to change the flow of events--including and not limited too antagonising Perrin into becoming Lord Perrin.

Gitara's foretelling may have simply been that Luc had to go into the blight if the light was to win. Bad for Luc, good for the world.

To me, there seems not enough info to know what Gitara was thinking.

It seems that she would not need to suspect since Aes Sedia and Warders would be able to identify really bad Darkfriends.

It could be that if Luc was still around Tigraine would not have left at all.  didn't it say they were close?

Close, it would depend what you mean; two meanings would be possible:

-blood relation; this is/was certain, several books tell they are siblings.

-friends; this to me is uncertain.

maybe her foretelling wasnt fulfilled.  remember the foretelling that elaida (i think it was elaida) had about that murandian who was supposed to unite all of murandy and siuan made gareth byrne back off from the border and bit his head off doing so.  but in the end the murandian was killed on a cattle raid by a farmer.

Perhaps this was the same case.  foretelling doesnt always come true.  Perhaps she had a foretelling that said if luc went to the blight he would find something that would help the cause of the light or something along those lines but the dark caught wind of this and send isam in an attempt to stop this from coming true.

maybe her foretelling wasnt fulfilled.  remember the foretelling that elaida (i think it was elaida) had about that murandian who was supposed to unite all of murandy and siuan made gareth byrne back off from the border and bit his head off doing so.  but in the end the murandian was killed on a cattle raid by a farmer.

I actually think that wasn't a Foretelling.  Just, he was identified as an individual with the necessary skill set and motivation to possibly unify Murandy.  I could be wrong though.  It's been a while since my last reread.

To me, there seems not enough info to know what Gitara was thinking.

It seems that she would not need to suspect since Aes Sedia and Warders would be able to identify really bad Darkfriends.

Alanna met Luc as Slayer and wasn't able to pick him. Who knows whats nessasary to become a Darkfriend so evil that an Aes Sedai can detect them, or for that matter how many such Darkfriends exists. Moiraine directly stated that people who walk that far in the shadow are rare. Besides all that would be needed to get around it was an inverted warding, something Ishamael could have done.

Not that I actually think Luc was a darkfriend before heading north--i dont think there is enough information for that one way or the other.

As Hybrid said, that wasn't a foretelling just the result of good intelligence. Foretellings always come true.

Archived