Majsju

For the aspiring editors, pick up RJs mistakes

I figured it had been discussed, and I have read it several times myself.  I'm still not buying the flashback theory though.  If it is a flashback its very poorly written, and I can't believe that of one of Robert Jordan's works.  Nuff said, that its been brought up before was all I was really wondering. Thanks for the input. :)

You may not be buying it, but this isn't an "IMO" situation.

It is a flashback.

Not exactly a mistake but just something I noticed.

Rands supposed mother, Kari Al'Thor, had red hair. This was supposed to add up as foreshadowing that Rand was Aiel, or at least thats what impression I got. Yet, Rand isnt actually related to Kari at all, not unless Kari actually is Tigraine. I dont think Kari was Tigraine.

Kari is not, nor was ever supposed to be Tigraine. Tigraine died on the slopes of Dragonmount. We even have Tam talk about finding her there. Kari is just someone Tam met outside of the Two Rivers who happened to have blonde, or reddish color hair. Kari wasn't Aiel either, she was just an outlander with blonde/reddish color hair. There is no mistake in that.

In Tanchico in tSR, after the duel against Moghedien, Nynaeve is attacked with balefire. She knew what it was called as she recognized the rod-ter'angreal used to produce it.

In Caemlyn in tFoH, while Rand and Rahvin are duking it out, Nynaeve is again almost hit by balefire. This time she does not know what it is or what it is called - only that she had seen such things before, in Tanchico. She thinks of it only as some fancy way of killing.

Do you have the exact quotes? Because IIRC the description of the rod included that it produced balefire, but not a description of WHAT balefire is. (I believe when the girls are going over the list they puzzle to themselves about what balefire might be.) So she sees the rod, sees the product of the rod and puts two and two together. Also, since it was a woman using it, she would have likely seen the flows. Later when it was Rand and Rhavin, they were throwing around Saidin, she would have no idea what they were making, just trying to kill each other. But unless in the interim someone has explained to her exactly what balefire does and why it's so dangerous it's just another name of another weave used to kill people.

The Path of Daggers, Chapter 27

Rand always tried to pretend he was not jealous—as if there were a man in the world who was not—but she had noticed his scowls at men who looked at her. And his very considerable ardor was more heated afterward, too.

This is still our favourite error. We interpret ardor as sexual excitement (Merriam-Webster) but they had no time to form any kind of sexual habits regarding this angle, if you read the books carefully. Carefully? With a little attentiveness. Mr Jordan probably would call this 'error' a bad interpretation, or, using Occam's Gillette, he would call this 'error' Min's fancy.

A personal note: I think our fan club should think it over that we see everything through sexuality...

While we're at it, I'm INCREDIBLY irritated that RJ disavowed the Big White Book/Guide as "unreliable, like an internal document would be". Revise it, put out a 'corrected' version, but the only real information we have on the world comes from your mind and mouth. If we can't even rely on that because some editor/co-author got away from you...  >:(

Well,

Teresa Patterson explained that the Guide was written with deliberate inaccuracies. One of the reoccurring themes of the series is that people don't necessarily know all they think they do, but still have to make decisions based on what they know. They decided the book would be written from the point of view of a historian who had good, but not necessarily great information on a variety of subjects. So Jordan withheld information from her while she was writing the book, or he would tell her things, but then ask that she not include it.

I love this kind of approach.

And...

The Strike at Shayol Ghul

(A Preliminary Introduction)

by Jorille Mondevin,

Royal Historian to the Court of

Her Most Illuminated Majesty, Ethenielle Kirukon Materasu,

By the Blessing of the Light,

Queen of Kandor,

Protector of the Land,

Shield of the North,

High Seat of House Materasu.

One of the most important finds of recent years, perhaps since the Breaking, is a partial copy of no less than a history of the world from the drilling of the Bore into the Dark One’s Prison to the End of the Breaking of the world. The original apparently dated from early in the First Century A.B. Despite the extreme paucity of material from the entire first millennium after the Breaking, we can only be thankful that the art of printing survived the Breaking of the World when so much else did not, and was indeed practiced to some extent during the Breaking itself, though under severe and restricted conditions. Considering the widespread destruction of The Trolloc Wars and the War of the Hundred Years, which although far less than the near totality of the Breaking still saw cities, nations, and far worse, knowledge, go to the fires, we must marvel at any writing that has survived more than three thousand years. What we know is based on fragments, copied and recopied a thousand times, but at least we know something from them. Even a little knowledge is better than ignorance.

Discovered in a dusty storage room in Chachin, the pages were in a chest full of old bills and receipts, students’ copy books and private diaries, some so foxed by age and with ink so faded as to be unreadable where the pages themselves had not crumbled. The fragmentary manuscript was readable, barely, but presented the usual problems, quite aside from the difficulties of translation and dealing with centuries of copyists’ errors; such a history would no doubt be a vast, multi-volume work (All volumes of “The Complete History of the War of the Shadow” and “The Breaking of the World” will be available by subscription upon application to Mistress Jorille Mondevin at the Palace of Aesdaishan in Chachin.), yet of the two hundred and twelve surviving pages, the largest number of consecutive pages number six, and nowhere else more than two. Such dates as are given are totally incomprehensible, as no calendar dating from the Age of Legends has ever been found. Many references to cataclysmic events (dire battles and cities destroyed by balefire during the War of the Shadow, whole regions covered by the sea and mountain ranges raised overnight during the Breaking) and to such minutiae as the appearance of a certain person are but curiosities. The pages which might reveal exactly where these things happened, what their special significance was, the resolution or end result, are usually missing. Why then is this collection so important?

First because, sundered as it is, it contains more information of the War of the Shadow than any other known single source, perhaps as much as all other sources combined in some ways. But even more importantly, it gives a great deal of information available nowhere else. And most importantly of all, the six consecutive pages and others which must be placed close to them contain the only known account of events surrounding what surely must be the most far-reaching single event in the history of the world, in any Age: the sealing of the Bore by Lews Therin Telamon and the Hundred Companions.

Think about it; Mr Jordan's notes would have been a very fitting end to the series, but greed and so-called fans balked this. So, after all, we have to contend with LOC or KOD as the final ending which is not a bad thing at all.