DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

From Tavern to Tower (ATTN: MoN)

Kura

Serien followed behind the yellow sister as she set a quick pace through the White Tower, not giving the young Ebou Dari woman a chance to take in the breath taking sights that the city and its Ivory Tower had to offer. She was tempted to ask the sister, whose name she had discovered to be Terias Sedai, about the wonderful things she saw, as Terias seemed to have little trouble talking about all the enchanting things she'd be able to do with the power when she was raised. Especially healing, yes, the Andorian Sister loved to talk about the healing arts. Still, Serien remained silent, an unusual thing for her. She tried to tell herself it had nothing to do with the fact that she was practically running to keep up with the woman's much longer strides, no, that wasn't related at all.

Looking down the halls on the fly, the young woman noticed a trend in the clothing, the younger girls usually wearing plain white dresses while the slightly older ones wore dresses with banded sleeves. She reasoned that this wasn’t a random occurrence, but as she was about to inquire about this Terias Sedai stopped at a large oak door. The yellow sister knocked her fist against it three times before Serien came to it. The Aes Sedai looked down at her, smiling, "This is the Mistress of Novices' office; you'll get to know her quite well as a Novice." Making an effort to slow her breathing and racing heart, the Ebou Dari girl nodded her head.

The doors opened, and the yellow sister stepped through, greeting the sister within as Larindhra Sedai, and exchanging pleasantries. "Serien, come in, introduce yourself." The girl stepped in quickly, and curtsied awkwardly to the woman, never having accepted any authority but her mother’s before this moment.  Still, these were Aes Sedai, not some snobby noble women who needed a good beating to set them straight. "I'm Serien Miarade of Ebou Dari, Mistress." She felt a bit like she was on display, but her voice remained firm. After all, it never mattered ones age in a tavern, the serving girls were harassed by someone eventually, or at the very least had lewd eyes upon them. That of course didn't mean she wasn't nervous; she was simply used to it.

“Come!” Larindhra rose and walked around her desk when she saw who her visitor was. “Terias! This is a pleasant surprise.” Larindhra smiled warmly at the Yellow Sister. What brings you to my neck of the woods?” Her eye caught sight of the girl hovering outside, and her smile widened. “Brought me a new one, did you? Well, let her come in. I presume you’ve tested her?”

“I did indeed, Larindhra. Serien, come in, introduce yourself.”

Larindhra greeted the child with a warm smile. “Welcome to the Tower, Serien. Have a seat so long – I’ll be with you shortly.” She could see that Terias looked quite travel weary, so she wasn’t surprised when the Yellow excused herself.

“Please don’t think me rude, but do you mind if I leave her in your hands now? It’s been a long journey and I would love a nice hot bath.”

“Of course not, Terias. We can have a nice talk later.” She walked the Sister to the door, then returned to her seat. “So, child, you would like to become an Aes Sedai. Has Terias Sedai told you much of what that entails?”

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

Serien noted the exchange between the two full sisters, studying their ageless faces. Light, am I going to have to be that polite? The thought didn't sit well with her, she had always thought that getting across your point was far more important than pleasantries or titles. Still, to be an earth shaker like these women, she supposed some annoyances would have to be put up with. As the yellow sister left, Serien let out a sigh, she had liked the woman. More than that though, she was someone she knew in this unfamiliar place.

As the Mistress of Novice's attention turned to her, she thought for a moment before responding, a decidedly out of character action for the young girl. "Well, she has told me a little of what will be required Larindhra Sedai. She taught me that it would take many years and a lot of education, in much broader areas than the power, to achieve what she called..." Her mind stammered, searching for the word. Scarf? No, it was more formal, blood and bloody ashes so much formality! It was definitely around the neck though. Shawl! Yes, that was it, "the shawl."

Of course Serien had absolutely no idea what that meant, was there some kind of Aes Sedai uniform? Serien's eyes fell to the ring upon Larindhra's finger, and she thought back to all the girls in their stainless white dresses, and the others in their banded. She sighed, "Really though, I'm afraid I know nothing outside of what I heard in the inn, and to be frank Aes Sedai, I wouldn't bet a copper piece if I had all the gold marks in Ebou Dar on a word those men say." She bit her lip, realizing her tongue was getting away from her. She wondered then and there if controlling her mouth would be the most difficult part of her training.

"Really though, I'm afraid I know nothing outside of what I heard in the inn, and to be frank Aes Sedai, I wouldn't bet a copper piece if I had all the gold marks in Ebou Dar on a word those men say."

Larindhra barked a delighted laugh. Novices sometimes came out with the oddest things, but this one seemed especially … refreshing. Maybe it was her own less than noble birth that made her appreciate the child’s straight forward, no frills or hidden meanings, way of talking. Larindhra had, perforce, learnt to twist words and hide meanings with the best of them, until it had become second nature to her. Sometimes, though, she longed for the simple days of being just a farmer’s daughter.

“Men can be fools, just like the rest of us, child, but sometimes they hit the nail on the head.” Still chuckling, she transferred the tea tray from its place on the sideboard to her desk with a flow of air. She poured for both of them, adding a bit of honey for herself before passing cup and honey pot to Serien. “Help yourself, my dear.”

“Whether they did in this case, only time will tell; there is too much to explain and the hour is getting late. Suffice it to say that Aes Sedai are, apart from being able to wield the One Power, just women like any other. Better educated and much more powerful, but still just … women. I will assign a Mentor to you who will give you all the information you need, so why don’t we get your details down first?” She put down her cup to draw the Novice book towards her. “Your full name, age, and place of birth?”

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

Serien smiled wide as the Aes Sedai burst into laughter. Suddenly, the room wasn't quite so oppressive, and she felt like she could be her normal, sociable self for a moment. She listen to the Mistress' words carefully, nodding her agreement. "Women, yes, but I highly doubt there there is such a thing as 'just women', at least as far as the men are concerned." She grinned again, accepting the tea and thanking the much older woman, still careful to add the formal 'sedai' following Larindhra's name. That much at least, was already becoming second nature to her.

She gazed at the large book, thinking of all the powerful names that were written there. Every one of them can wield the power... Just like I can. For the first time, that fact hit her, but she ignored it for now. The Aes Sedai  had asked her a question. "Serien Miarada, sixteen years old, and I was born in Ebou Dar."

• 2 weeks later...