DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A crazy Wind -- Winterwinds pick up

Winterwinds

Cluching his head John stumbled thoug the brush of a small stand of trees, it was night time though it seemed like noon to him with the moon's light shining on this almost cloudless night. The voices were getting stronger, they had layed almost dorment in the back of his mind for about a month, always there but slowly getting quieter...that was untill today. Tripping on the brance of one of the stunted trees that grew in the boarderlands he almost landed on his face, instead catching himself on anohter of the tree's brnaches, for that brife secound he let his concitration slip. Imageise flooded his head, the smell of a freashly killed deer almost whiped out all other smells, voices, or words put to the pictures, started to talk to him, to find out who he was.

"No, go away!" John shouted at the ground, he tried despratly to fight the voices back into submision, to almost no avail. Looking to up at the moon, his amber eyes shining in the near darkness, he cursed who ever had given him this condition. The day had gone from bad to worse for him, it had started like any other, meaning that he woke up in a servents room were he had been hidden when he had first manifested the symptoms of his "Condition", he had gone downstairs to find that the house was empty, looking out the window to see the town guard comming had only told him that his parents had finnaly decided he was no longer in the creator's grace. He had run untill darkness had enveloped the world in its dark grasp, and now found himself on the ground cursing everyone he ever knew. All these thoughts took about a few secounds to flash though his mind, and when they stopped the voices had quieted down some what. "Good" he thought, for some reasion thinking on what this condition did to him always quieted the voices, as if they were takeing pitty on him.

"I dont need your pitty," he said to a tree brance, "It is bad enough that you have cost me my home, now you think to make it right by giving me your pitty?" The sound of footsteps woke him out of his ranting at the tree brance. Looking around he could not stop the persion, but he could hear him.

Winterwinds-Only slightly used sanity

OOC: Forgive me if I overstep myself by using Forest Shadow as a more or less sepreate charicter, its how I RP....

IC: The sent was starting to fade, from were she was standing Forest Shadow sniffed the ground. The trail was starting to grow cold, like a herd of deer who had been by a weeks past, only it had been strong a only a few heartbeats ago, the wind must of shifted. Looking to the moon she sniffed again, the sent was still weak, but there. Starting off towards the sorce of the sent she slipped though the forest like her name, scilently and as if one with the shadows of the forest. As she drew near the sent again started to grow more intense, but but it was agmented by a underling smell of fear, of not knowing from which way the buck was going to strike with his antlers. She had not smelled this in the her charge before, he was always more or less sure of himself, like a young male who has just grown strong enough to hunt for the first time. As she drew closer the sent changed suddenly, tinged instead with anger, anger that she could put no explnation to, or atleast she has not encountered it before. Going around a particualy large dead tree, she came almost face to face with her charge. He stared at her, and her ears went flat aginst her head, how could she of been so stupid? His eyes were glazed over, like an old male who knew a younger male was going to defeat him, but he did not care. Before her crouched a human the wolves had come to know as Winterwinds, most held the opinion that this human was more of a danger then others, due to the fact he could talk to them. Not knowing what else to do, Forest Shadow sent a picture that would translate to a human as, I mean you no harm, though to a wolf it looked more like her with her tail between her legs and her head bowed in defeat. Winter Winds made some sounds that Forest had come to assoisate with humans talking, then a feeling came over what ever link he had with the wolves, it was dispare pure and simple. Takeing a chance Forest walked over to him and licked his face, for a reasion she could not figure out she felt sorry for this young human. He looked down at her with a mix of shocked confusion and surprise.

"Are you real?" Winter asked her, though in her mind it was an image of a young wolf seeing his refection in a pool of water for the first time.

"I am as real as the moon that gives us light brother" was her responce, though it came as a complex series of pictures and thoughts to the young human. Winter looked at her with a look of almost relitive relife, and it flowed over what ever bond he and the wolves shared. He walked over and sat down next to a fallen tree, his back aginst the hard bark of the trunk. A feeling of dispare again flowed from him, he was abondoned by his pack, and likely hunted by them now, all becuase of his eyes, which glowed a deep amber in the moonlight. Dispite the feeling that was ingrained into her, only the strong survived out here in the rotten grounds, she could not help but feel protective of this abandoned wolf who seemed to be stuck in a human body. Walking over to him, she curled up next to him to guard him from the night, and what ever lay in it. As she was just getting comftable, Winter put his hand on the back of her head, which felt good, and sighed "Why me?" came from him. He started to drift off to sleep, which could be increadbly dangerous for humans in these lands, she nudged him to keep him awake, but how long can she keep him awake is the true question. Focusing on the task of keeping him awake she almost missed footsteps comming closer.

OOC: I'll try and let it slide  :P

IC:

The tune was something he remembered the rhythm to, not the words, the words stayed no longer in his dead than the wind did along the Caralain Grass fields, but he would remember the beat til the day he returned to the Mother's Embrace. Lips pushed together, his whistle was a quiet tune.

The Borderlands had always been... Erik tried to delicately put it in his mind, but nothing more eloquent came beyond.. a place to be avoided. His father had been in numerous armies to the north, numerous campaigns near the Blight.. Just the birthing place of Trollocs and Heartsbane being that much closer made his skin vibrate with displeasure.

His vision cut through the darkness, the shapes ahead as clear as at noon. The Wanderer. And a wolf. His companion? Erik had had little contact with the wolves in the area since the Sending, he had been surprised any life existed in the barren landscape.

Erik neared and sent to the wolf.

~I am Night's Howl, Wolf Brother to this young one.~

The wolf turned with, what Erik could only guess was surprise, a quick hop in the back legs and a hard stare. Erik received her scent, her name, Forest Shadow, then he caught the boy's. He had smelled that scent before.

Before he could suppress his reaction, he snarled, nostrils puffed out, a growl rumbling in his throat.

~I know that smell Forest Shadow. I have smelled it before. Is this young one feral? How close is he?~

-Erik

As Night's Howl entered the clearing that Winter and Forest were in Forest looked up at the new arival.

"I am Night's Howl, Wolf Brother to this young one." She repliyed in kind, giving him her sent and her name. What came next from Night's Howl was a growl, " I know that smell Forest Shadow. I have smelled it before. Is this young one Feral? How close is he?" Looking back at Winter she answered the only thing she could think of, "I do not know Night's Howl," looking back at the other human she continued, "But I fear he might be close." With that she again turned to Winter Winds, and attempted to wake him up for he had fallen asleep, or atleast he seemed asleep.

Forest Shadow

-----------------

He felt it more then he saw it, someone else entered the clearin. Though he tried, Winter could not seem to lift his head to look, or was he John? His mind seemed rather fuzzy, as if a blanket of wool had been dragged over his thoughts. He knew one thing, he was tired, and he was sitting in a clearin with a wolf whom he thought he could talk to. For some reasion, he caught what of been the tail end of the conversasion that went between this newcomer and Forest Shadow, "Is he Feral? How close is he?" he laughed weakly at that, feral? Him? What a fine joke. The newcomer seemed to speak like the wolves, so he must be a wolf, for as far as Winter had seen there were no more like him who were human, and yet not? It didnt matter, if this wolf thought he was Feral then that was that. As he started to attempt to find the energy to lift his head he heard Forest reply "I do not know Night's Howl," There was a slight pause then, "But I fear he is close." Well that is a comfort, she thought him feral as well? As he again tried to lift his head Forest came over and prodded him again. Suddenly angery at himself for not being able to actualy speak in his own defense, he found the energy to stand. Looking at the newcomer he was caught off guard that it was another human, but he was to angery to show it. "So you think I am Feral?" He said to Night's Howl, "that sounds alot like insanity." He could not see his face but from the sudden feeling of being scared that for some odd reasion came from Forest, who was standing beside him, he must of seemed feral indeed. 

Erik drew his tongue along the front of his teeth.

The boy reeked exhaustion despite the fact he stood defiant before him, brows furrowed, staring. The wolf stood between them, concern her primary emotion, but she wafted off wisps of uncertainty. Uncertainty of him or of the boy? Erik watched the boy, hands flexed, felt every joint slide together, his muscles were ready to move. His posture was relaxed. Erik masked his emotions, his scent of tranquil contemplation. He envisioned the lake of the Stedding, its cool somber ripples and water drift across its surface.

"that sounds alot like insanity."

"And what do you know of insanity?" Erik's voice could have frozen molten lead. "I know insanity, I have seen children younger than you with their minds destroyed, growling, mewing, pawing at doors and killing and feeding on farm animals with only their teeth and hands."

Erik's hand tightened into a fist.

"I can explain to you what's going on, what's happening inside of you, around you.. I have a camp half a mile south of here. You may not trust me, when I was first found, I would not have trusted my own family.. But I have food, a fire, and warm tea."

Erik flexed his fingers and turned to the wolf, her golden eyes watched him carefully. More carefully than the Wanderer's own golden orbs. Light, let me just get out of the Borderlands then we can deal with this mess.

-Erik

The cold tone of Night's Howl caught him off guard, he had not expected him to be so calm, but then, he had not expected to snap like that. Shakeing his head he tried to think clearly, tried to get rid of the fog that had formed in the back of his mind. From infront of him, Forest grabed a bit of his shirt had tuged on it in the direstion of Night's Howls camp, "Come brother, you need warmth" he could not deny this, he was cold, and this was the boarderlands, it could and would only get colder out here. Looking at the other Human he slowly nodded, "I will come to your camp," then with a little more heat then he had intended, "But if you try anything." he let the threat hang, he didnt know himself what he would do. But, hopefuly Night didnt as well.

Winter, followed Night's Howl to his camp, though he had not expected much he was still surprised to see it actualy exist. It was a small camp, it fit withinn the small hallow that Night's Howl had built it into. A fire was indeed blazing with a pot of water simmering over it. There were a few bags and such around the camp, but nothing that interesting Winter. At Night's Howl's nod he sat down next to the fire and staired into it, he was soon joined by Forest who layed down next to him with a soft sigh.

"Is this not better brother?" she said to him as they warmed by the fire.

"It is....sister." He said, though relunctantly, he could not find anyhting better to call her, and since she called him brother, why not he call her sister? If Forest had been human she would be smileing he is sure from the feeling of contentment that came from her. He was roused from his thoughts by a hot mug of tea being pushed into his hands by Night's Howl, "drink this" was all he said. Takeing a sip from the mug Winter almost yelped from the fact it was so hot, but it was good. Setting it down next to him he looked at Night's Howl and said "So, you were going to explain what is going on with me?"

OOC: Yeah, just expected you to follow the Winter PoV with a Forest PoV, so I let this percolate a little longer.

IC:

"So, you were going to explain what is going on with me?"

Erik puffed out little breaths as he cradled his mug, brought the surface of the tea close to his lips so he could feel the tendrils of warmth lap at his face. The thistle and pine needle tea was pleasant, but he was grateful he still had some bits of willow bark left in his satchel. Not only for him. He looked up at the Wanderer, the crackle of the fire filled the distance, and the red glow of the flames animated the shadows and surrounding growths.

“When I was growing up, in a small town called Brohampton, just along the River Ivo, I worked the land with my father.” Erik never fancied himself a story teller, but some stories told themselves. “Often, trees around our plot caught plagues of black webbing… Caterpillars, of course… But back then we often called it the Dark One’s touch. Others would cut down the tree and burn it… Well my father didn’t see the reason in that, so he’d send me up with a rake and a torch, sometimes twenty feet up to burn off the plague. When I got up there, I’d see them, the little grubs wriggling around in the webbing, eating the leaves, all inside their own little world. The fire would spread quickly, burning them all up in a matter of seconds, then my father would pass up a bucket of water to quench the flames. One time, I found one of those little caterpillars outside of the webbing, away from the death, and resisting instinct, I put the little guy on a leaf and into my pocket.” Erik sipped at his tea, still hot, but the fragrant flavor slid across his tongue comfortably.

“In time, he would change. Wrap himself up tight in a shell, and for weeks just hang from the stem of a flower. Then one day he was gone. Just the traces of his shell remained. My mother said she had watched it, as a child she too had concealed on of them and fed him by her windowsill until he too changed into a butterfly.”

Erik coughed. He knew such things were by the Creator’s hand, now, but it seemed to obvious, too dramatic. The change. The metamorphosis of the insect.

“I am not saying you are going to change into something unrecognizable by the morning, nor ever. What I am saying is that like a caterpillar you are changing, you are experiencing something more different and more profound than any other change you have felt in your life. I know the path you walk; I know the pitfalls and trips, the stumbling points…hence my presence. I am here, because you too are a fragment of a more ancient time, an older presence, that the world and time all but forgotten of.

“You can speak to and hear wolves. You can hear and smell and taste and feel with senses that feel foreign and a thousand times upon itself stronger and more adept. You are becoming kin to wolves. Brother.”

-Erik Night’s Howl

OOC: Sorry, I didnt think there was anything to cover from another point of view. But here there might be.

Winter sat and listened to the story that Night's Howl told, though he had to restreain the humor that suddenly started to bubble up when he heard himself being compared to a catipillar. He was changeing, he could of told himself that I mean the eye color change counted. The ability to talk to wolves, that would explain the voices, and a few other things. From were she was laying Forest gave him a look of, "I told you so" which made Winter roll his eyes. By now the tea had cooled off and he took a long sip from it, warm enough to warm his bones, but cool enough so he didnt burn himself again. It tasted like the forest around them smelled, like pine needles and a few other things Winter could not identify, all the same it was good tea. He sat there for a long while stareing into the fire, thinking on what he had just been told. His hand strayed towards Forest's head, and when he woke from his deep thought, he found himself strokeing her behind the ears. Oddly though he had just run into her in the forest, the act of petting her seemed to calm his nerves and help him to clear his thoughts. Looking up at Night's Howl, his alowed his gaze to soften towards the strange man, or wolf he seemed to be part of bolth.

"If what you tell me is true, then this is a gift not a curse?" He asked, sighing he continued, "I have lived with it for 4 years, my family kept me locked in a servants room," He laughed, he indeed sounded crazy, but it felt good to laugh again, "Then, just today, they sent the town guard to arrest me." He lowered his gaze from Night's Howl. "This tells me I can never go back to were I started this journy, never to return to my halls, lest I alow my self to be hunted a darkfriend." He looked down at Forest Shadow, a thought crept though his mind that he knew was his own, I am alone, expet for Forest now I guess.

John Winterwinds

---------

From were she was laying, she listened to the two humans talk, though she could not understand any of it, the feelings that flowed from bolth of them made more or less clear about what they were saying. Night's Howl was talking about his place of birth, were his pack once roamed and of how they used fire to scourge bad trees. The point of the story seemed to not be about the trees, but more about a small changling creature that Night's Howl had found in one of them, it had turned into a butterfly. At hearing this Winter seemed to try and supress a laugh for he thought himself compared to a butterfly. Forest laughed a little at this as well, though Winter was alot larger then a butterfly he seemed to act like one, unprdictable were he will turn. Then, the story ended and Winter went into deep thought, about what Forest could not tell, but he started to stroke her behind the ear so she did not press him. He looked up suddenly and seemed to just no relise he was rubing behind her ear. He then started to talk to Night's Howl, again she could not understand the words but the imagise and feelings made it all to clear again. He spoke of how he had lived with the Gift of the Wolves for four rotations of the sun, though she thought the humans called these "Years", on how he was shut into a small room away from the rest of his pack in shame or perhaps fear. And finnaly of how he became to be hunted by his own pack as a Shadowfriend. The images were sad, even to Forest who had seen worse hardship then that. She moved over alittle and put her head in Winter's lap, prompting him to run behind her ears again. "Be not afraid brother, you have me for a packmate now, your old pack will not hurt you." With that Winter went back to rubing behind her ears, though he still seemed worried about something. A thought came across from him, and she hoped Night's Howl heard it to.."Were will I go now?"

• 2 weeks later...

Erik scratched his chin. Long shadows flickered behind them, twisted trees presented little cover, and from the fire's light they seemed even more daemonic. An uneasiness had settled in his shoulders since his arrival this far north, and he was eager to be gone from it with every dragging second.

The sentiment of displacement was strong among the camp. The two looked at him, Forest and the Wanderer, for knowledge he had learned to put off for a later time. Some grew too eager, some grew too uneasy, so he had decided several Winters ago to omit it from the first encounter.

"We'll get some sleep, young one. Don't forget I found you face down on the ground, and that brew will elevate your spirits for only so long. Tomorrow, we'll journey south-west. Thicker forests, more game and prey to hunt, larger packs." Erik's eyes moved from the one to the other as he spoke, his words making gentle mist in the air.

The saddlebags would make up the Wanderer's bed, a cloak thrown under and a cloak over and it'd be moderately comfortable. Erik imagined the wolf would sleep beside him. There was a closeness between them... It felt.. It made him uneasy. But Erik shook off the sentiment and finished his drink.

"Get some sleep and we'll talk in the morn."

Erik wouldn't sleep. He would spend the rest of the night watching the shadows move. This far north felt unnatural. He had already planned out a comfortable stump to lounge in, away from the camp so the two may sleep without glowing golden orbs staring over them.

Erik nodded to the pot if the boy wanted more tea. The fire crackled playfully. A log displaced and a roar of light spread around them, the shadows and shapes disappeared.

Light I hate this far up north.

-Erik

Night's Howl sat there looking bolth of them for what seemed hours, but it must of only been the span of a few moments, his eyes seemed to take in every aspect of them, perhaps he was trying to make his mind up about if Winter was Crazy. For all Winter knew that was exactily want was going though Night's howls head. He also seemed to look at Forest, perhaps thinking of why the young wolf had decided to come with him. Whatever he was thinking, it did not show in his voice as he spoke "We'll, get some sleep young one. Don't forget I found you face down on the ground, and that brew will elevate your spirits for only so long." He was already starting to feel weary and Forest was giving him a look that said he should take Night's Howl's advice, "Tomorrow, we'll journy south-west. Ticker forsts, more game and pray to hunt, larger packs" This last almost made Witner get up and dash, but Forest Shadow put her head in his lap so he stayed. Night's Howl looked between them, he seemed uneasy about something, but what? In short order a saddlebag and a few blankets were layed out, though the ground did seem more comftable the cloaks looked warmer. He layed down an Forest layed down next to him, her added warmth was welcomed, it was quite cold out even with the fire.

"Get some sleep and we will talk in the morn." Was the last thing he heard from Night's Howl as he wandered over to a stump, and sat down. Deciding there was no point in actualy fighitng sleep, he drifted off, hopefuly to his own dreams....

John Winterwinds.

----------

To Forest Shadow, the the tention in the camp should of been flowing like water in a mountain streem, she almost reached out with one of her front paws to cathch it, she laughed at herself for her foolisness, you could not catch tention. Night's Howl seemed to be studying them like an old male studied a rival, or atleast a strange animal that had wandered into his den. She could not make out what he thought of them, his mind was sealed shut for the time being so nothing flowed forth from it. After what seemed to Forest as what must of been the span of two moons, though it was only waht humans called "Seconds" Night's Howl spoke, thought again she did not understand what he was saying, but she got the meaning of it. He told Witnerwinds to get some rest, the liquid he had given him would only sustain him a short while and he would eventualy pass out from lack of rest. This made sence to Forest for she had found him nearly passed out, or close to it. Winter seemed to see the logic in this and nodded to the other human. Night's Howl then told them they would be heading south-west, were there would be more game, this made Forest happy, and larger packs. The part about more wolves did not make Forest happy, she did not know if Winter could handle the exposure to more wolves, with them trying to talk, and she convayed as much to Night's Howl, or atleast tried to, he gave no outword reaction to her sending of concern for the young one that she sat next to. Shortly after Night's Howl stopped talking, the containers off of Night's Howl's four-legged-hard-footed creautre, she often saw Humans up here rideing these strange animals and could never figure out why they would prefer them over there own feet, even if they only had two legs. After the containers came a few of the outer protective skins the Humans used to ward off the elements of nature, since they lacked fur. This seemed to serve as Winter's bed and he layed down on it, she curled up next to him to add some warmth to his own, you could never be too sure out here even with a fire. As he drifed off to sleep she watched the fire dance, it was rather hypnotic and she soon found herself drifting off into the dream. Right before she drifted off, she woundered Winter would be in the wolf dream, she had often heard of Humans who could speak to wolves being there, but then she hoped not for the same reasion she was worried about him being exposed to other packs as they traveled....could he handle it? Sleep took her before she could come to a conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Erik half-awoke, his eyes slid fully open as the first rays of sunlight began to bathe the landscape. Eyes sore with dust and sleep crust, Erik set the flat, palm sized rock he held down to wipe clean his vision. The rock dropped to skitter across the pile of similiar rocks, much smaller than he had started with the night before.

Had the shadows really pulsed like that? Had they really dared as close as he remembered? Shadows didn't make noises, he knew that. A quick toss of a stone into the darkness caused the fire's potency to increase, not even he could fully see the shapes that lurked. He was certain he had made contact at least once, there had been a deeper thud than a rock hitting bare earth and a scurry of feet. Were they feet?

The sun was a molten gold and Erik was grateful for its company. Lynx sat near his log, snoring, head raised in mock alertness. A true warhorse can sleep standing, Erik sent. He knew the horse wouldn't understand him such as the wolves could, could not interpret the emotions, let alone hear him, but the horse seemed to ruffle his ears in response.

His two companions lay curled in the bed of cloaks and bags, content. Erik stirred the coals of the fire, barely aglow, but enough to warm themselves over.

"Time to rise youngling. Full day ahead of us."

The bread and crumbled cheese lay beneath the Wanderer's head; Erik would not trust the game this far north if it was served to him in a Lord's Hall.

-Erik

"Time to rise youngling. Full day ahead of us." At first Winter thought it was just another of the odd dreams he had last night, but then he noticed Forest get up and decided it wasnt. The night had passed better then most he had before he had stumbled into the woods, the dreams had been better, he had slipped into his own dreams and not those of the wolves. Shakeing the night from his head he looked at his surroundings. The forest seemed less...imposing then last night, in the day-light it was still just as desolat buta little more welcomeing. The fire had burned down to coals sometime durning the night, but Night's Howl seemed more interested in getting to the food in the saddle bags then in restarting the fire. He guessed they would be moving soon, to the south-west, to what ever fait that awaited him. Standing he streached and brushed the loose dog hair from his clothing. Turning to Night's Howl he asked "Should I wait till we are moving to ask you to continue with your explination, or are you open to that now?"

John Winterwinds

-------------------------

The warm sunlight warmed Forest Shadow's fur as she lay beside Winterwinds, the warmth was a welcome change from the cold that had dominated the night. She had not slept for she had heard many sounds that she knew were not of the two-leggeds, or prey for that matter. The few times she had dared to open her eyes the shadows themselves seem to move and growl at her, if not for her sence of this not being right she would of gotten up and growled back. Winter got up and moved around the camp, leaving Forest to her thoughts, which continued along the lines of what manner of thing had been in the shadows last night, and how none of Night's Howl's stones had not struck one of the shadows dead. Finnaly deciding to follow Winter's lead she opened her eyes to see what had become of the forest during the night. She was almost surprised to see nothing had changed though she knew that it would be that way. She stood and shook the sleep from herself, she was still getting used to the fact that her winter coat had not gone with the comming of what the two-legged called "Spring" were the land was supposed to get warmer and the pray was suposed to be more plentiful. As of yet it had only gotten colder, abd she had not seen any good pray in a few weeks. Looking around the small clearing she noticed there seemed to be a four-legged-hard-foot, the humans used these things to carry themselves great distances, as if there two feet would not work. Night's Howl was moving about that camp with a sence of urgency as if he would want nothing more then to put as many footfalls between him and this clearing. Perhaps he did, and she could not blame him. Forest sat down and watched the trees around them, in this place you could not be too sure of what the surounding held, better to watch and let the rest of the pack do what was needed, she would make sure nothing came on them while there backs were turned.

-Forest Shadow 

"-Or are you open to that now?"

The boy seemed more at ease, his stance less combative, his voice carried little sarcasm. Erik sensed less hostility, not all gone, but enough. Erik broke the half of crusty bread and threw the boy his portion. Erik knew what the boy craved, he would prefer nothing more than to sink his teeth into a warm bleeding flank of a younng buck, but bread would do.

"We'll have plenty of time on our walk. Hand me those bags," the cold still caught him at moments, a slithering icy vein that hadn't given way to Spring yet. Lynx was soon saddled and Erik smoothed the ground, spread and buried the ashes of the fire, destroyed the evidence of their existence. Responding to the boy's question, Erik nodded to the game trails that crisscrossed the area. He explained if left to seem habited, the animals that used the trails would be put off the area by the appearance of two-leg contact, or grow curious and used to campsites and two-leg habitation. Neither were ideal.

A small group, all walking while Lynx bore the burden of supplies, his eyes rolled as he watched the unfamiliar wolf warily.

"Have you ever heard of Ogier Steddings before, Wind?" The two-leg voiced name always felt like a bastardization of the real word, but he did not feel like calling him boy, or Tender Paw, all the way back to the Infirmary.

-Erik

"Have you ever heard of the Ogier Steddings before, Wind?" Night's Howl said as they walked from the campsite, though what this had to do with the explnation he asked for was beyond Winter. "I have, it is were the Ogier live, they are said to be places of great peace." he said after a moment, his parents had delt with a few Ogier over the years, his father had gotten his mother a sung wooden table for a gift once. Winter continued to say what he knew, wanting to prove himself for some reasion to Night's Howl "The trees grow tall in the Steddings it is said, Shadowspawn and Aes Sedai avoid it for some reasion that I have never be able to figure out." That was about all he knew, most of it was from study when he was not studying about being a traider, though he had a feeling his knowlage was nothing compaired to Night's. Looking over at Forest Winter wondered if she knew anything else about the Ogier Steddings, but decided he would let Night's Howl say what he knew before he asked Forest about it. Settleing into a comfterble stride Winter waited to hear what Night's Howl would say.

John Winterwinds

-------------

Forest Shadow had watched as Night's Howl had packed up the clearing of his two-legged items, and stored them in the bags that eventualy went on his Four-legged-hard-foot. They set out as the sun climbed though the heavens, it was still fairly early when they left so the cold of the night had not entirely lost its grip on the world, and the shadows had not entierly left yet. Forest contined to scan the suroundings as they walked along what ever path Night's Howl was takeing them on, she for some reasion could not shake the feeling that had crept over her the night before. As they walked Night's Howl asked Winter a question, and Winter responded. From what she could understand from there emotions, and the small accedental sendings that ocasinal came from bolth, they were talking of the Tree-singers who lived in the glades that brought peace to ones soul. Winter seemed to know a little about them, but not all. Half paying attention to her two-legged compations she put the rest of her mind on trying to figure out why she felt so uneasy.

He nodded. The boy was aware of the protection a Stedding offered. This would help.

"Aye, that be true. Not all be inhabited by Ogier though. Some have been unoccupied since the Breaking. The Steddings do keep all things touched by the Dark One out, and make a channeler as normal as any other two-leg.. Two-leg, you'll grow used to some of our words for other things.. We are traveling south, to a Stedding. A place, a tranquil haven away from the world." Erik could smell something under the ground.. Was it a gopher or mole nest? The hares this north may have dens much like. Erik dismissed the thought and idly fingered the snare lines in his pocket.

"We'll have some time before we arrive though. Tell me about yourself, Wind. Tell me about the past. Sometimes it is the only way to discern the future."

Lynx tugged at the reins, still uneasy around Forest's Shadow he supposed, but they continued forward. He would put off the hunger for red meat snarling softly in his stomach until they camped. Just another day before then.

-Erik

"Aye, that be true. Not all be inhabited by Ogier though. Some have been unoccupied since the Breaking. The Steddings do keep things touched by the Dark One out, and make a channeler as normal as any other Two-leg," There was that word again, two-leg, though he knew it had something to do with what the wolves called Humans, he wasnt used to hearing that. "You'll grow used to some of our words for other things..." Winter hoped so, it would be odd calling things by diffrent names, but it is unavoidable. "We are traveling to a Stedding. A place, a tranquil haven away from the world." Night's Howl spoke with great passion of the Stedding, his voice filled with a tone of warm memories and of long warm nights, the thoughts that drifted from him said much the same. "We'll have some time before we arrive though. Tell me about yourself, Wind. Tell me about your past. Sometimes it is the only way to discern the future" Night's Howl was asking him to open up to him, and speak of his past. Winter figured it could not hurt, he had left his former life behind when his parents called the guards on him. Winter signed, and looked over at Night's Howl, "Alright, but understand, I have left what ever life I once had back there....I am no longer welcome to it that was made clear when the guards were called on me at my home...but I am getting ahead of myself." Sighing again he started on his tale.

"I was born with the name Jonathan Valorwind, an uncommon sirname I have heard but all the same the one I came into. My parrents were moderatly well off mercents, they delt with clothing and such. My early life was...un-eventful, I was the youngest of 4 brothers, all of which went into the army when they came of age, since the oldest showed no talent for the craft I was given the task of learning all I could so I could take over when my parents retired." He sighed, rembering the long hours of study in the dark rooms surrounded by stacks of books. "When I was 16, I got to go on my first trip to Andor, to pick up goods with my Father. It was on that trip that....well this happend," He pointed to his eyes, with a slight sad smile, "Thought I had gone insain for the longest time, still did when you found me. I killed two bandits that trip, they tried to jump me and my father in the dark while we slep in a hay-loft." He could remeber the screams as the last two had fled the rabid wolf that had been set into there group. "My father thought I was a wolf and knocked me out, only to find he had knocked out his son. The Queen's Guard arrested me, and later relesed me seeing as it was self-defence. We got what we had come for, and returned home were I was quickely locked in a servents room and all but forgoten about." He looked over at Night's Howl and laughed, "There is my story, take what you want from it, but I think I was well within my rights to be found half dead and more then half insane."

Jonathan Winterwinds.

----------------

As they walked Forest watched the forest as she had since they had left camp. But then Night's Howl must of asked Winter about his past, for as they walked feelings and pictures came from Winter, they were of his former pack, of his parents, of his brothers. They told of how he had been the runt of the pack, of how after his oldest brother had shown no interest in takeing over Winter was given the task of learning how to. Then, the feelings turned to ones of sorrow when he started to recount the trip were he had first relised he could speak to wolves. It told of the long hours of not knowing if he had gone insain, though to her is came across as feral, of finnaly going to see an elder of the humans to see if he had truely gone feral. He had been given a look over and finnal told nothing was wrong with him. Then, imagies turned to night time, the sound of men coming in to the hayloft were Winter and his father slept, the sudden relisation that they ment Winterwinds harm. When he talked of how he had killed two of the bandits a mixture of shame and pride came from him, Pride that he had been able to defeat two of them, but shame in the way he had taken them. THe memories rolled on and finnal came to his return to the rest of his pack, how they all wanted nothing to do with him after his return. He had been locked in a small room, Forest thought it looked alot like a cage, and forgoten about. Forest had gotten caught up in the story enough that she had forgotten her self apointed task of watching the woods, and now she looked up at the human. Winterwinds shruged at Night's Howl as his story ended, a human gesture, and he fell scilent waiting for Night's reply. Forest walked a little closer to him, as if to offer solace for having to dig those memories up.

Forest Shadow

OOC: I wasnt going to do a Forest Shadow part, but it didnt seem compleat without one for some reasion  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Erik nodded. The boy spoke truth, he could sense some details had been glazed over, but Light they all glazed over details and transgressions.

"I've heard far worse stories, if that can ever be any solace," Erik's foot caught the edge of a stone and he gave it a satisfying soar through the wiry blades of grass to his right, "I suppose I was more fortunate though. My mother didn't have the heart to tie the noose around my neck or gouge out my eyes during the night..

So many memories begin to compound on one another, a ball of twisted ache that tumbles and rolls in his mind, that grows, day by day, Winter on Winter, as he scours the land and his soul for answers and justice. Sometimes his own answers, sometimes his own justice. Now you're starting to sound like a rabid smelling white two-leg, Night's Howl chirped from the back of his mind. A rabid smelling two leg, a Whitecloak, a Child of the Light. That smell didn't wash away.. A Wanderer brought in the summer previous had reeked of the stench. It wouldn't go away, and Erik had steered clear of the boy since.

"My father had come sick with an illness. The Wisdom lived a good day's hard travel away and we'd sent for her a week prior. I had been convinced it was my own doing. That my own presence in the house, my own affliction.. was the reason why my father had come ill." Erik looked up and smiled a little bit. "I may still believe it. He got better after I left with the wolves into the woods. Straight into a blizzard but they grow the children of Ivo from rocks and ice and oak wood, so I may have survived had a Tracker.. What I am.. hadn't found me."

They crossed a ditch a pace across with ease. He was certain it had been a quick-running brook in his notes and when he had last ventured this far. Few things were returning to what they had previously been years before any more.

"Six years have passed since I was in your shoes, Wind. A long time. A lot of memories. It is a long road and even longer if you find it difficult to trust those you're with." He searched the boy's face for resistance or understanding. "I am not asking for blind faith, trust must be earned. But it is difficult for those to help you if you live in fear of them. I do not expect you to trust me right away. Or even at all. But it will be a difficult journey for you if you cannot believe ones to have good intentions towards you. I'm rambling, I know, consider that my rant for the day and we'll go back to listening to the wilderness."

They would make camp soon. Perhaps something shaded with more trees and a softer mulch under their backs, he could smell his favourite bland tasting tubers. If you cooked them right, they had the same flavour as porridge or raw potato.. If not, it would taste like yeast.

-Erik

Winter listened to Night's Howl as he revield a little of his past as well, it was quite interesting, though sad when you thought about it. He could think of nothing to say about how Night's Howl thought he had made his father sick, a thing that Winter thought was unlikely seeing as even when he had thought it a desease it had not manifested in a fever or any other kind of phycical alement. But that was the past, and the past was not important at this time, all that was important was staying alive. "I am not asking for blind faith, trust must be earned. But, it is hard for those to help you if you live in fear of them. I do not expect you to trust me right away. Or even at all. But it will be a difficult journey for you if you cannot believe ones to have good intentions towards you." Trust was earned, but for now, he trusted Night's Howl, since Forest trusted him, and he would go with him to were ever they were going, if only to find some kind of peace. The sun was getting low on the horizen and they would camp soon, hopefuly somewere they would not be seen easily, somewere with trees to shelter them from what ever strange weather was popping up this spring. As he got back to watching the forest around him, just listeining to the sounds of nature he had not bothered or dared to listen to before, he thought of what they would eat when they camped this night....

John Winterwinds

-----------------

After Winter Winds was done telling his story, Night's Howl told one of his own. He spoke of how he thought he had made his sire sick from his very presence, bad enough that he was stuck in there den. Forest had not heard of such things before, but then anything was possible with Two-legged folk. Night's Howl then got into talking of how he wanted Winter and Forest to atleast trust him enough to see them to what ever their destination was, Forest remembered something about a Stedding, but not blind trust. This made sence to Forest, you could not trust a strange wolf to see you to safty sometimes, but not all the time, the world just did not work that way. For now they had to trust this strange two-legged wolf to lead them to safty, and hopefuly to some food. Forest was thinking of going hunting tonight, that sounded good, perhaps she could talk Winter into comeing with her. But perhaps not, Winter might not be ready for such activities. But, he had to learn sooner or later, hopefuly sooner then later for this skill was vital to the survival of one's pack and oneself.  Slipping into these thoughts she wondered what game was like around here, she had not seen to much the previous night, but then the shadows that had ringed there camp had discouraged her from even trying to hunt, let alone leave Winter's side. But game had been known to be more plentiful a few miles south of some areas, never north in these parts, the death grounds were north. Her thoughts went on like this for a while as they walked, and she noticed the great ball of fire that lit the world was starting its decent, night would be apon them soon.

Forest Shadow.

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: Forgive me if I seem impatient but I think this has sat idle for a while now so I will post again.

IC: The sun soon sunk below the horizon and day gave way to night, they camped in a clearing, it had a good clear view of the sky as it grew dark. By the time the stars were first coming out Night's Howl had started a fire and the three of them sat there in relative silence, John stared into the fire as it crackled and spit forth the occasional speck of flaming ash. John did not know what he was looking for in the flames, perhaps guidance, perhaps answers to questions he himself did not know, what he did know was that he was in a strange place, and he was going to a strange place. Beside him Forest put her head in his lap to comfort him, he had been surprised the first time she had done this for he had always been told that wolves were monsters to be feared and avoided at all costs. But, as he sat here looking into the fire for answers, the only person who actually tried to show him any compassion was a wolf, and he could not help but feel that she was the only one who understood him now, though he knew that was not entirely true.

"Would you like to come hunting with me Winter Winds?" She said from beside him, "I have not for a few days and I cannot survive off the food Night's Howl brought with him," She said, then lifting her head she continued, "I know you are still getting used to being with wolves, but I think it would help, besides, even two-legs must eat meat am I right?" He was not sure if he wanted to, but for some reason a part of him told him to go do it, to hunt beside his sister beneath the glowing moon as it had been in days past. He looked down at her and smiled despite the uneasiness that he was feeling, "I would sister, the moon is bright his night, and there is bound to be a herd of deer sleeping somewhere close this night," Then he looked over at Night's Howl and continued speaking to Forest, "But I think Night's Howl wants me to stay, but I shall ask if we can go, I have not hunted in what seems like a long time, and would enjoy doing so again."  Then looking over at Night's Howl again he spoke, "Forest Shadows wishes to know if she can take me hunting, she has not in a few nights and wishes to get something to eat, being..." He hesitated for a moment "...being her pack mate and brother, I think I should take her up on her offer, I have not hunted in some time and well, I think it would be a good skill to pick back up." He waited for Night's Howl's response, hoping against his better judgment that he would say yes.

John Winterwinds

-----------

Forest watched as the fire in the sky slowly slipped beneath the earth to give way to the great moon and night enveloped the world around them in the comforting embrace of sleep and darkness. Darkness that is for all but her and the two she traveled with, to their eyes the moon provided more then enough light to see what lay before them. The two-legged Night's Howl set up camp and soon a fire was roaring in the small clearing he had picked out for them to sleep in this night. She settled down next to Winter and put her head on his lap, he seemed lost as he had often in the days she had tracked him from the shadows, confusion and unease flowed from him as water flows though the bed of a river. The only thing that he seemed to draw comfort from was her presence, she was the beacon of familiarity in his now strange world, she was his sister and pack mate. As he stared into the fire she attempted to figure out if she should ask him to go hunting, as the moon rose to its peak in the star filled sky she came to a conclusion. "Would you like to come hunting with me Winter Winds?" she said, "I have not for a few days and I cannot survive off the food Night's Howl brought with him," she then lifted her head to look at him, she continued more slowly now, "I know you are still getting used to being with wolves, but I think it would help, besides, even two-legs must eat meat am I right?" the quiet streached on as he looked down at her, she could feel him fighting a battle inside on if he wanted to go, finally his mind must of been made up because his face became calm and he smiled and said "I would sister, the moon is bright his night, and there is bound to be a herd of deer sleeping somewhere close this night," Then he looked over at Night's Howl and continued, a little doubt worming its way into his thoughts, "But I think Night's Howl wants me to stay, but I shall ask if we can go, I have not hunted in what seems like a long time, and would enjoy doing so again." He then spoke in the way two-legs speak and seemed to wait for a response, Forest just put her head down in his lap again and was pleased to find that his time he scratched behind her ears, Winter may of been a lost wolf, but she was glad she had been the one to find him.

Forest Shadow.

• 1 month later...

Erik watched the pair. The boy was truly connected to his wolf, a stronger bond than he had felt between Smoke or.. Moon's Glow.. Light he hadn't thought of Smoke's mate in Winters. She lived in the Dream now. Erik could still remember the sensation of holding her body, the uneasiness in her lightness, how she sagged in his arms, head rolling about her neck..

Erik cleared his throat, the nagging sensation of it being dry regardless of the water or tea he drank was pushed down as he examined his travel companions.

"No, that be true. Wolves cannot live off bread and cheese and bits of old meat. I do be uneasy, though it won't be until we touch Caralainian grass will I feel fine.. Aye, hunt what you like, with her, but I'll be coming along." The Wanderer's eyes flared open for a moment for the resumed their casual stare. Whether the boy do be surprised or alarmed, Erik cared little either way. He had come too far to let the boy trip over a root and impale himself chasing a doe through the trees. "Wolf-speak, stay low, should be fun." Erik knew a murderous glow had taken his eyes. It always would before sword practice, or hunting, or.. drinking..

Erik stifled another cough in his throat, the itch made his hackles ache and his desire to scratch his tonsils with a scalping blade intensified. A little fresh meat may be what I be aching for, Erik reasoned as he drew his eight inch hunting knife from his boot, setting his cloak and over shirt near their packs and saddles. Anything that would snag, or flap unnecessarily, would be left.

"But no room for discussion," Erik nodded to the two, "unfortunately. We'll have better luck with three and personally I've tired of dry meat and older cheese as well."

As they moved to the trees Erik steadied his feet before they could collapse underneath him. The two turned to watch him and Erik covered his misstep by acting like he was moving around a hole that was not there. The lightheaded spell had come and gone so sudden Erik doubted it had even happened.. He tightened his grip on the blade and edged into the woods, quietly, with the other two. They would run. They would chase. They would taste.

-Erik

OOC: Mono. Don't try it. Glad things have been able to move along Winds, this has been my first chance to sit down and throw any bit of writing more than one-lines on msn since christmas. Cheers

OOC: yah mono is no fun. My mom had it and she was tired all the time and couldn't do much at all. Glad you are feeling better  ;D

IC

After he asked his question something seemed to be bothering Wolf's Howl, as if he was remembering a bad memory.

Night's Howl clearing his throat brought him out of his thoughts, though it raised a new question in his mind as he heard how scratchy his voice was, "No, that be true. Wolves cannot live off bread and cheese and bits of old meat. I do be uneasy, though it won't be until we touch Caralainian grass will I feel fine.. Aye, hunt what you like," He said, and then added as if it was the most plain thing in the world "but I'll be coming along." Winter's eyes widened in shock for a split second, as he had not expected him to let him go, let alone him come along.

"This should be interesting brother," Forest said from where she was now sitting up, looking intently at Night's Howl, and then towards the woods beyond, "We may have better luck with the three of us instead of just us two." She said with a laugh, and Winter agreed, though reluctantly, a larger pack does sometimes mean larger game...though he did not know were that thought came from, perhaps from Forest.

The sound of Night's Howl attempting to cover a cough again brought Winter out of his thoughts, Night's Howl might not be well, and if so he shouldnt be hunting, but who was he to tell the elder what to do? Night's Howl then removed his cloak and overshirt, perhaps to reduce the amount of noise he would make while hunting, and then drew his boot knife as he said, "But no room for discussion," he then continued nodding at both of them, "unfortunately. We'll have better luck with three and personally I've tired of dry meat and older cheese as well." That pause seemed to cover something, but perhaps it didn't.

Winter nodded at Night's Howl and then stood, he had no weapon besides his fists, or a rock, looking at Forest he smiled slightly, then they  both followed Night's howl to the woods outside the firelight.

As they reached the woods Night's Howl seemed to suddenly sag under his own weight, as if he was suddenly unsure of something, a split second later he moved around what must be a hole, and then he was fine. Then they were in the woods.

The smell of deer came from somewhere to the northwest. There would be good hunting tonight.

Jonathan Winterwinds

Hunting.

----------------

Forest watched as Night's Howl seemed to consider the question of going hunting, though he seemed to be bothered by something else as well. Whatever it was his thoughts were well guarded. After a while Night's Howl looked at them and said something to Winter, in a strained voice that sounded as if he was dieing of thirst ,and from the feelings that flowed from Winter Night's Howl had agreed to let them go. Winter then told Forest that he was coming and she did a mental shrug, a larger pack was good for hunting. Night's Howl then stood and removed his outer protective coat, and outer shirt down so as to not get them snagged on anything, then he drew a fang from his boot, and smiled, the joy of the hunt already in his eyes. He said something else, but this time he projected it towards forest as well, so she knew basicly what he was saying, he too was tired of old spoiled milk and dry meat. Then they all stood and went to the boarder of their small camp, but as they reached the trees Night's Howl seemed to trip on something, or perhaps get dizzy for he seemed off balance for a moment, but then he stepped around what must be a hole or root in the ground and continued.

The sent of deer drifted from the northwest, Winter had also picked up on this and was looking in that direction, Forest licked her chops, the hunt would be good this night.

Forest Shadow

Hunting.