DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which Eye?

Mashiara

Guest Lord Captain Valda

Hey, Rand gave up his hand. Would you have thought RJ would do that? Whats now stopping him from poking out Mats eye? It could be a metaphor but remember, it doesnt have to be.

There's a line in KoD where Mat notices that only one eye is visible on the fox pictured on his medallion. I believe he notes that it's the left eye. Put that together with his revalation of the Finns looking through the eyes of those that have visited, and you have a pretty clear line drawn to which eye will be covered or removed before approaching the Tower of Ghenji.

Rand didn't exactly 'give up' his hand. He lost it. The phrasing and imagery of the various visions indicate to me that whatever happens to Mat happens with his direct permission or as a result of a direct choice of his to give up the eye for some reason.

• 1 month later...

In PoD Egwene Dreams of Mat with TWO Aes Sedai on a weighing scales.

From Encyclopedia-WOT:

Chapter 15 PoD: Mat, weighing two Aes Sedai on a huge set of balance scales, and on his decision depended. . . . She could not say what; something vast; the world, perhaps.

People seem to over look this one.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the idea that the Aes Sedai probably refer to Joline, Teslyn and the other AS with Mat. I mean, there's only one more book, and unless one of the AS is Moirane, I don't think Mat will be meeting any more Aes Sedai for quite some time.

As for the eye...well I gotta to agree that the signs point towards his left eye.

• 2 months later...
In PoD Egwene Dreams of Mat with TWO Aes Sedai on a weighing scales.

From Encyclopedia-WOT:

Chapter 15 PoD: Mat' date=' weighing two Aes Sedai on a huge set of balance scales, and on his decision depended. . . . She could not say what; something vast; the world, perhaps.

People seem to over look this one.

Any ideas?[/quote']

This is an old post, but an interesting topic.

I've often wondered what that could be, and the only thing that I came up with was this:

We all know (or at the very least, strongly suspect) that Moiraine is going to need to be rescued, and Mat and Thom will be there to rescue her...I suspect that there may be one or more Aes Sedai that accompany them and that Mat will have to make a hard choice to sacrifice the life of another Aes Sedai in order to save Moiraine (who we know is needed for some unknown purpose if Rand is going to win the LB). Whether this is a concious choice or if he just has time to react and "choose who to save"...well, i haven't thought that much into it, but thats what I suspect may be the reasoning behind the 2 women on the scales vision that he has.

It could be quite possible that he makes another bargain with the Foxy-finns (dunno which is their proper name) and that price for it is the death of these two Aes Sedai. But i don't see how they could be the price unless they go into the Tower of Ghenji as well.

Quote: If rand lost his hand and mat loses or gives up an eye then what does perrin lose???? that would be symmetry

Unquote

Old post, but still, does anyone else notice the parrallels of Rand, Mat and Perrin with 3 of the Norse/Viking Gods here? Perhaps RJ did this deliberately...to like leave us clues and stuff.

Think about it:

Rand: Loses arm. Tyr (god of warfare, early on in the Viking era was the chief god) lost his arm.

Mat: Prince of Ravens. Has a spear of sorts. Odin: Gave up eye for knowledge. Had 2 ravens, Thought and Knowledge. Had magical spear, Grungir, or something similar sounding.

Perrin: Has hammer. Great power but dislikes using it. Thor: Had hammer. Was more powerful than Odin but disliked leadership.

Possibly just circumstance, possibly not. RJ has drawn parrallels with other ancient cultures before, so why not this one? And possibly there were clues left in there, ie Ragnarok=Tarmon Gai'don. Hope not. The Gods lost Ragnarok.

RJ has acknowledged the link between Rand and Tyr as well as the one between Mat and Odin. Any deity parallels to Perrin are a bit more nebulous (Thor through the Hammer, or Perun, the eastern Slavic and Russian God of Thunder). But none of the them is based solely upon any one character.

Remember that the WoT world is our future and our past. The legends of their world are bastardizations of real events in our world and the legends and myths of our world are based on the real events in theirs. It's all a vicious circle, or perhaps a vicious "Wheel"...

Just to clarify things, the dream that Egwene has about the two Aes Sedai and the dream about Mat and his eye are two completely different dreams. You know... Mat appears to be weighing a great many things. ;)

The dream about him weighing his eye, I think we can all agree on has something to do with his trip to see the Finns because of another dream that Egwene has. In this second dream she sees, "Mat throwing dice with blood streaming down his face, the wide brim of his hat pulled low so she could not see his wound, while Thom Merrilin put his hand into a fire to draw out the small blue stone that now dangled on Moiraine's forehead." Need I say more on this?

The other dream, he is weighing two Aes Sedai against something else and she saw that the world possibly hung on his decision. As previously mentioned, I believe that this dream was talking about Joline and Teslyn and since he decided to save them he met up with Tuon and took her as well. This is part of many other prophecies that I'd rather not include in my post and I'm sure you all know and remember them so, let me just say that this one is done with.

I'm only concerned with the unfinished ones ;) *see above*

Archived