DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's the deal with Rand's shoulders?

RAND AL THOR

I think people have trouble understanding how someone can be strong, without being overly muscular. I'm not saying Rand won't have muscles, but as a swordsman who spends a lot of time running about on foot (especially in the early books) he's far more likely to be lithe, broad-shouldered, with strong arms but slim around the waist, than he is to be stocky and 'pumped up'. Think swimmer, rather than weight-lifter.

I think maybe one of those freaky looking rowers.  Their shoulders look bulked up from rowing, heavy weight lifting bulked up, but have flat chests and small wastes and spindly, compared to the top body, legs.

Everyday when Rand was a farmer he had to pitch a lot of hay and chop a lot of wood.  And don't forget how much he practiced archery.

I agree, it is so hard to find accurate drawings/art of Rand(or some other characters for that matter) >:(. Only recently have there been any that actually paid attention to his description and other physical information about him.

Even in the beginning of the series he is described as being tall, broad shouldered, strong, and good-looking. Granted that last is not important and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it is part of his description and almost every book has someone mentioning it or inferring it. (I will supply quotes if necessary but it will mean digging out my books). As mentioned above, Rand is Aiel with the typical Aielman physique, though he was probably not as developed as most Aielmen his age. Also as mentioned above, he was also a farmer which is hard work especially since he is/was an only child of a single parent family. He was the best archer of the young men in the TR and only a few others could even draw his bow to the check, which would give him strong back muscles. He is also very good at climbing(I don't climb so I don't know what muscles that uses but I'm betting the forearms gets a good workout). In the beginning of TGH it was said that Lan is MORE heavily muscled which I take to mean that Rand was already heavily muscled for Lan to be more so and Rand was just as broad shouldered and as tall.  So all this point to Rand not only being tall but broad shouldered and very strong, possibly second only to Perrin of the young men in the TR.

Later on he develops and tones his muscles with the learning of the sword and the spear and Aiel fighting techniques. Also, Min did note how hard and strong his belly is.

I have also always thought of Rand as having the body a swimmer but also of a basketball player and a gymnast. A body built for speed, endurance and the ability to lift his own weight very easily.

Well, those are my thoughts. Sorry for rambling but I've been wanting to get this of my chest for a long time. Thanks for the opportunity. :)

I also despise most of the pictures of Perrin in the books. He would have strong shoulders, arms, chest and thighs but I dont' see Perrin being built like he is depicted on the front of many books. He was a blacksmith's apprentice, which uses much the same actions as a carpenter or gardener would use - lifting something up, over the shoulder, and bringing it down hard. Takes strong shoulders, strong back and strong arms, but also would require a lot of stability in the legs to remain upright and still whilst lifting the weight, which would develop the thighs. Carrying the metal would also require strength.

However, I dont see him as being 'stocky', just wide and solid. The books refer to him rather aptly as being 'an axe handle across the shoulders' (or is that Rand)? and slightly wider than Rand, but shorter.

I dont see evidence of any of the boys eating to excess, infact quite the opposite so I wouldnt expect Perrin to have a waist of more than say 36". Although he seems to spend more time on a horse than the others, he is still quite active.

Mat, I would expect to be the slim one. Throwing knives requires a dexterity and speed that I dont think Perrin has. Mat will likely look more like Thom than Lan as he ages. That's not to say, however, that Mat is less strong or dangerous than the others. He would be less strong than Perrin in terms of weight that he could move, but he is certainly faster than Perrin. Rand is difficult because a swordsman must be dextrous and swift. Mat had no issue picking up Tuon though, and although he slung her over a shoulder, he also had no issue picking up Egwene when 'rescuing them' all that time ago. I imagine him to be quite 'wiry'. No bulging muscles or 6-packs as in the other two respectively (Perrin would likely have the muscles, Rand the 6-pack) but I wouldnt want to fight my way past him.

Come to think of it, I wouldnt try  ::) :P ;D ;) :-*

Respectfully :):

In TEOTW Thom actually said Rand's shoulders were "an axe handle across the shoulders" and that he's "as tall as an Aielman", but then he turned to Perrin and said he was almost the "size of an Ogier(sp?)" (I think that was a bit exaggerated IMO). Also in one of the first few chapters in TDR during Perrin's POV, he is describing Rand coming out of the AS's hut and uses himself as a comparison. I don't have an exact quote handy but from what he said, Rand was taller and just as broad shouldered but more slender. So, yes Perrin was/is a big boy and it IS annoying that his pictures can't get it right.

I totally agree, the cover art for the books did a horrible job on both Rand AND Perrin. I think those two were the worst of any other characters that were on them. It took me a while to even realize that brown haired man with the facial hair on the KOD cover, was Perrin :-[. He looked so average in terms of size. WH was a little better but his picture on the TDR certainly doesn't look like his muscles rivaled Master Luhon's, and Rand had said that Perrin's muscles did rival Master Luhan's.

As for Mat, I don't think he is anyway near as strong as Perrin OR Rand. I also don't remember Mat picking up Egwene. Perhaps I just missed it. :) I do remember Rand scooping up both Aviendha AND Egwene in one arm when that tower fell.  Oh I agree, he IS strong but I don't remember him ever damaging anything bare handed without a weapon of any kind. I do remember Perrin squishing that cup and Rand tore an arm off a chair and dented a cup. I know Mat did hit that Wise Woman's wall out of frustration but I don't recall any damage. I know this isn't much to base anything off of as far as Mat's strength but it does demonstrate the strengths of both Perrin and Rand. Mat IS described as having a wiry body however, and people like that are often stronger then they apear.

I know Mat did hit that Wise Woman's wall out of frustration but I don't recall any damage. I know this isn't much to base anything off of as far as Mat's strength but it does demonstrate the strengths of both Perrin and Rand. Mat IS described as having a wiry body however, and people like that are often stronger then they apear.

Mat, I would assume to have a lot of lean, wiry muscle.  He wouldn't be particularly strong, but he would be very fast.  But yeah, he is definitely average in strength.  When I punch walls, they crumble.

I like both Seamus' and Jeremy's work. I do tend to think Rand's hair is too long in the latter and he may a bit too slender across the chest. Definitely agree with what others have been saying about him being tall and broad chested, but Perrin is still broader and only a bit shorter. Definitely stocky. I believe that R.J. even described him as "the stocky blacksmith" or some such.

I usually think of Perrin as similar to some of the young men who do the Highland Games. NOT the ones with a big paunch, but the young, studly ones.  ;D

• 1 month later...

Archived