DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trolloc children

Forever

Since Trollocs reproduce by breeding, there must be Trolloc children.

I wonder if it's OK for good people (like the protagonists) to kill cute widdle Twollocs.

Hard-faced and hard-hearted Lan surely would have no problem with that, but other people might (women especially).

edit: the same applies to pregnant female Trollocs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, I would love to see a cock fight, just with trolloc children instead. It would not bother me at all if a trolloc child would die, hell, it doesn't bother me to eat meat, which I know comes from animals that were killed.

Now back to being serious again.

How long time does a trolloc need to grow up, and how small are trolloc babies, and how do they look like, cuter, or uglier, lol. Sorry, I gotta be more serious.

The Encyclopaedia site tells that the offspring of trollocs is occasionally myrddraal.

I am not sure when someone (on the side of the light) would have opportunity to kill them.

It seems that trollocs give birth and raise their young in private somewhere in the Blight, probably beyond the Mountains of Dhoom.

The question about how much time to grow up is a good question.

The looks I imagine would be a smaller version of the adult form.

Another good question would be the amount of time passes from the time of conception to the birth.

I agree with Majsju. If the trollocs were not created and just happened to be an animal that was used by the Dark One (captured and made to or of their own free will). If it was doing it of their own free will, then they must be evil at heart and I at least could justify wiping the speices out. If they were captured and forced to do what the Dark One wanted, I feel they should be rescued and treated fairly and not be 'discriminated' against by what their ancestors were forced to do.

Trollocs description in TEotW glossary:

"Creatures of the Dark One created during the War of the Shadow. Huge in stature, vicious in the extreme, they are a twisted blend of animal and human stock, and kill for the pure pleasure of killing. Sly, deceitful, and treacherous, they can be trusted only by those they fear..."

So, really no room for mercy there, wipe 'em furry little rascals. :)

I read that trolloc females were designed to be happy to be used as breeding machines, and spent all their time being  impregnated, sitting around until they gave birth, then caring for their young until they got knocked up again.

I'm sure I read that somewhere official, but my BWB is packed away and I can't quote it for you.

I agree with Majsju. If the trollocs were not created and just happened to be an animal that was used by the Dark One (captured and made to or of their own free will). If it was doing it of their own free will, then they must be evil at heart and I at least could justify wiping the speices out. If they were captured and forced to do what the Dark One wanted, I feel they should be rescued and treated fairly and not be 'discriminated' against by what their ancestors were forced to do.

I thought that RJ said that even if they were raised by a good person they'd be deceitful and violent by nature.

How long time does a trolloc need to grow up, and how small are trolloc babies, and how do they look like, cuter, or uglier, lol.

It is a well-known fact that when Trollocs start off cute and small and get bigger and uglier when they evolve.  Oh, wait, that was something else.  ;D

On the question of how long it takes a Trolloc to grow up, we know its less time than it does a human, though not by how much. Aginor specifically increased the growth of Trollocs.

My guess is around ten years--much more and i reckon there'd be some pretty severe physical issues.

The question about how much time to grow up is a good question.

The looks I imagine would be a smaller version of the adult form.

Another good question would be the amount of time passes from the time of conception to the birth.

OMG!!!! Please Brandon lets get that prologue released or some sample chapters or something.  We are so running out of things to discuss.  New material is so desperately needed.

But seriously, Trollocs are unnatural creatures that are bread to be evil.  Violence and decite are ingrained in their very nature and I don't thing they could ever be anything else.  Therefore, killing all of them, even the children, would be perfectly justified.

On the question of how long it takes a Trolloc to grow up, we know its less time than it does a human, though not by how much. Aginor specifically increased the growth of Trollocs.

My guess is around ten years--much more and i reckon there'd be some pretty severe physical issues.

I'd agree on the ten years, but I think it would be the socialization aspect that would be what constrains the growth rate, a polar bear afterall grows to maturity in five years. The Trollocs, though savage, do have a functioning tribal iron age society. It takes a long time to learn how to interact with others and learn the skills necessary to function in society, even one as anarchic and violent as I imagine their society to be.

*forces self to stop dancing in gleeful circles* Whoohoo, my favoritest WoT topic!!  :) :)

On killing: I'm crazy about Shadowspawn, so I personally would hate to kill Trolloc children or read about them being killed (though that would be better than not bloody reading about them at all).  But I won't argue with y'all, because I know that "real" Randlanders ("good" ones, anyway) are obliged to destroy the creatures that were made to destroy them

On redeemability: I too would enjoy seeing someone raise a Trolloc, though in fantasy, 'nature' generally seems to trump 'nurture' in situations like this.  However, a human raised by Trollocs would probably become vicious and violent.

On time scales: Aginor must have had one heck of a challenge, combining a bunch of animals with different rates of growth and reproduction--including egg-laying birds!--and producing a species with its own predictable life cycle.  Plus the warring needs for great bulk and fast development.  So it's hard to be sure.  Ten years to maturity seems a decent guess, or maybe a bit shorter.

On youngling appearance: I would say newborn Trollocs look like large, furry newborn humans with muzzles, animal ears and sometimes animal feet; horns and such grow later.  But that's just my imagination.

On tribes: They could be based on animal ancestry, but there seem to be more tribes than species represented.  Also, this would mean that every Trolloc attack group in the books consisted of recruits from numerous tribes, and they don't like working together; at least, Lan was surprised to find seven represented in the attack on Emond's field.  Why else would they be divided up?  I haven't the foggiest.

Sadly, I expect that these topics will be ignored in the remaining books and stay confined to speculation and fanfiction.

Not that I'm an expert, but I don't think "normal" sheep and goats are born with horns.  So why would Trollocs be?

Didn't that BWB quote mention that Trollocs "enjoy being pregnant"?  This would imply that they don't lay eggs; probably their mammal base overrides any bird ancestry.  But maybe some do.  We haven't seen eggs--or young Trollocs--in the Blight, but then we haven't BEEN in the Blight much.  And nobody has discussed the matter in the books, for some reason.

What I'd give for a chat with Aginor about this stuff...

Not that I'm an expert, but I don't think "normal" sheep and goats are born with horns.  So why would Trollocs be?

Didn't that BWB quote mention that Trollocs "enjoy being pregnant"?  This would imply that they don't lay eggs; probably their mammal base overrides any bird ancestry.  But maybe some do.  We haven't seen eggs--or young Trollocs--in the Blight, but then we haven't BEEN in the Blight much.  And nobody has discussed the matter in the books, for some reason.

What I'd give for a chat with Aginor about this stuff...

Me too.

Maybe people who have been in thew Blight, doesn't want to talk about it because they really don't want to remember it, and they only speak about it when they have to. That is waht I think.

On redeemability: I too would enjoy seeing someone raise a Trolloc, though in fantasy, 'nature' generally seems to trump 'nurture' in situations like this.  However, a human raised by Trollocs would probably become vicious and violent.

Actually I believe all that human would become is lunch (LOL).  And there would be very little raising involved except perhaps to fatten him up.

Actually I believe all that human would become is lunch (LOL).  And there would be very little raising involved except perhaps to fatten him up.

:D

What's for dinner?

You...

Archived