DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travelling!!

Right i have a query and it may have been discussed before so apologies

I always thought that when travelling the person had too be familiar with the area they are travelling from before opening a gateway, yet in KOD when Nynaeve drops Lan off at Worlds End which as far as i know she would never have been too before she opens another gateway and disappears then seems to insinuate she's popping from village to village then back to Tear by the same means, am i missing something or has something changed. Answers please.............. ???

To go a short distance, you don't need to know a place at all.  So says Rand when he Travels to the top of a tower in Illian from the Square below, moments after arriving in the city.

Line if sight traveling can be done without knowing a place as well.  When Taim and the Ashaman rescued Rand,  it was only after traveling to Cairhien and finding Rand gone, that they were able to make short hops along the Tar Valon road until they came upon the battle with the Shaido already joined.  The place that the Ashaman arrived was far enough distant from the place where they raised the dome, probably severeal hndred yards, that they would have needed the extra time to learn the place, since they had not traveled directly there.  We saw something similar when Elayne uses the Bowl of the Winds outside Ebou Dar.  Only the women who had used the bowl would have been able to make a gateway from the top of the hill, since they had not gated directly to the top of the hill when they arrived.

Nynaeve likely Traveled a short distance from the cliffs where she ditched Lan then waited around a bit and Traveled to the nearest village to start on part two of the "Save Lan Plan"

I'm pretty sure there's no difference between traveling with saidin and traveling with saidar.

Actually, they use different methods.  Saidin bores a hole through the Pattern, saidar makes the two places in the Pattern identical.  This is explained in Lord of Chaos chapter 37.

RJ stated that in travelling to a place you learn the place...

But then why would anyone have to wait around to learn a place? They could just travel like 2ft in whatever direction and thus instantly learn an area which is more or less the same area as before. Or am I misinterpreting Luckers again? :)

RJ stated that in travelling to a place you learn the place...

But then why would anyone have to wait around to learn a place? They could just travel like 2ft in whatever direction and thus instantly learn an area which is more or less the same area as before. Or am I misinterpreting Luckers again? :)

Nope, I have the same issue with the idea myself, but thats what RJ said.

Nynaeve likely Traveled a short distance from the cliffs where she ditched Lan then waited around a bit and Traveled to the nearest village to start on part two of the "Save Lan Plan"

RJ response was directly about that situation, so no it seems she didn't do that.

I'm pretty sure there's no difference between traveling with saidin and traveling with saidar.

Actually, they use different methods.  Saidin bores a hole through the Pattern, saidar makes the two places in the Pattern identical.  This is explained in Lord of Chaos chapter 37.

Yeah, I forgot about that.  :P  But there's no difference in which place you have to know.

CAUTION:  THIS POST CONTAINS SPAM...IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO SPAM, PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT POST!!!

I promised many moons ago that after I learned to channel that I would Travel down to Australia to have tea with Luckers.  Well, Traveling around DM doesn't seem to be any problem at all.  But, everytime I try to imagine Australia, I end up swimming in the Pacific Ocean!!!  Sorry, mate!!!  I'm still trying!!!  Someday, we'll have that cup of tea, OK?  ;D

CAUTION:  THIS POST CONTAINS SPAM...IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO SPAM, PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT POST!!!

I promised many moons ago that after I learned to channel that I would Travel down to Australia to have tea with Luckers. Well, Traveling around DM doesn't seem to be any problem at all. But, everytime I try to imagine Australia, I end up swimming in the Pacific Ocean!!! Sorry, mate!!! I'm still trying!!! Someday, we'll have that cup of tea, OK? ;D

SHHH!!! You're about to reveal Australia's big secret!! Keep it quiet....Looks like skipping to the next post wasn't very helpful.

You know, some day very soon Ares is just going to disapear from these boards. And it won't be because I've secretly had him banned, it will be because you can't post from hell. Not that I'd have anything to do with him getting there of course. :)

Looking forward to the tea Grandpa. You'll find Australia quite a nice place, and very much not a myth perpertrated by Nazi's to hide their secret death armada.

You know, some day very soon Ares is just going to disapear from these boards. And it won't be because I've secretly had him banned, it will be because you can't post from hell. Not that I'd have anything to do with him getting there of course. :)

Looking forward to the tea Grandpa. You'll find Australia quite a nice place, and very much not a myth perpertrated by Nazi's to hide their secret death armada.

But it's such a lovely spot to hide a secret death armada. And of course you wouldn't have anything to do with me going to hell - that would be the builders of the secret Nazi death armada that doesn't exist. Of course, I'm sure no-one will notice the absence of me from the boards. If go out, I'm taking all of you down with me. Well, except for Luckers. It would be ridiculous to send an atheist to hell.

Archived