DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fealty, the White Tower, Aes Sedis and Rand

sillyman

Will more Aes Sedai swear fealty to Rand?

The prophecy suggests that its likely "the unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign" as well as RJ phrasing at the end of LOC "The first nine Aes Sedai swore fealty to the Dragon Reborn and the world was changed for ever" although this could just refer to the party loyal to Elaida swearing fealty.

Elaida's prophecy on the other hand, something along the lines of the white tower rising stronger then ever, seems to suggest differently since its hard to for it to be stronger then ever if they must ask Rands permission "to bathe".

Personally I believe more will due to Rands tavernness and that the few AS that have sworn so far could not represent the whole tower and furthermore i think Elaida's prophecy refers either to the reuniting of AS (Wise Ones included as well perhaps) or removal of the BA.

The unstained Tower broke with the rebellion. To see through the second part, you must remember who the Aes Sedai who knelt to the Dragon were - they were the ambassadors from the two parts of the Tower, namely the representatives of their respective factions. In a sense, they were the Tower, standing for its views, ideals, standards, everything when dealing with the Dragon Reborn. They had not gone there as individual Aes Sedai, they had gone as the White Tower. Thus, the unstained Tower, broken, did bent knee to the forgotten sign.

Now that Egwene is taking hold of the Aes Sedai, the kneeling will probably start going the other way. Unfortunately...

Guest Dreadlord

"Kneel and swear fealty to the Dragon Reborn, or you will be knelt." Remember, the first nine were made to swear fealty (Oooh that bit at the end of Dumais Wells is my second favorite Taim moment). If they hadnt they would have regretted it, and I cant see any others swear to Rand, even the ones we can trust like Cadsuane. Moiraine had pretty much already sworn to him of course, but I doubt many more will be swearing to him; it goes against what the White Tower stands for completely. Unless more are made to swear then no.

Elaida's prophecy on the other hand, something along the lines of the white tower rising stronger then ever, seems to suggest differently since its hard to for it to be stronger then ever if they must ask Rands permission "to bathe".

The fact that it was Elida made this fortelling makes it almost certain, IMO that it will work out in precisely the oppsite way Elida would want and expect.  While relatively strong in fortelling, her track record for interpratation leaves something to be desired.  It is as likely that "The White Tower Rising stronger than ever refers to a unification, not just with the Rebels, but also with the non-DF contingant of the Black Tower.  Such a merger would certainly leave the Aes Sedai stronger than they have been since the Breaking.

i doubt very much that Rand will swear fealty to Egwene it would be counter productive and the pattern wouldn't allow it besides by forcing Rand to kneel she would be proving herself unfit to rule.  Rand must be free to do as he wishes to win the last battle.  More over i doubt Cadsunae(stated she didn't want to interfere), Verin or Morraine(learnt the hard way Rand must be independent) would approve.

The unstained Tower broke with the rebellion. To see through the second part, you must remember who the Aes Sedai who knelt to the Dragon were - they were the ambassadors from the two parts of the Tower, namely the representatives of their respective factions. In a sense, they were the Tower, standing for its views, ideals, standards, everything when dealing with the Dragon Reborn. They had not gone there as individual Aes Sedai, they had gone as the White Tower. Thus, the unstained Tower, broken, did bent knee to the forgotten sign.

If the rest of the White Tower does not follow the example of its ambassadors and swear fealty to Rand, then the ambassadors do not represent the White Tower at all.

The rest of the Aes Sedai, like the ambassadors, will either kneel or be knelt, I think.

The rest of the Aes Sedai, like the ambassadors, will either kneel or be knelt, I think.

I certainly hope so. RJ has done such a good job giving us hints as to how the WT will end up, while still leaving us clueless, that it would make a very good stunner ending.

At the end of CoT Rand tells Bashere that when the enemy presents two targets, you should strike at a third. I thought this may refer to a comming assault on the WT by Rand.

However, Rand seems to avoid confrontation with the Aes Sedai to the point of stupidity. I doubt he would "conquer" the WT if it was entirely up to him. And however much I would like it, I cant imagine all Aes Sedai kneeling to Rand. Thats why it would "stun" me if they did ;)

He avoids confrontation with the Aes Sedai when possible, but when confrontation is inevitable, it seems like turn about is fair play. After he broke free of the Aes Sedai who captured him, he pretty much repaid them in kind, and when he learned about the Aes Sedai who were captured and bonded, he commanded an equal number of Asha'man to be bonded as Warders. (Granted, that doesn't exactly even the score, because the captured Aes Sedai were Elaida's, and the Asha'man will be bonded to Egwene's Aes Sedai...)

Anyway, since Elaida gave the order for Rand to be kidnapped, I'm pretty sure that he will be quite eager to repay her in kind as well, if Egwene doesn't depose her first.

In addition, Tar Valon is in the northeast, so Rand has to unify it with the rest of the north and the east if he is to win and survive Tarmon Gai'don (c.f. the Aelfinn's answer and the Prophecies of the Dragon mentioned in ACOS).

I have always hoped that Rand manage to take control of the entirety of Rabdland and the Aiel Waste. Maybe even possibly the Seanchan Empire in some sort of way. Shara, is just too far away, and is just basically a filled in the series. I doubt it will ever be important to the series, as it really hasn't been till now.

Archived