DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How many more books are there after KOD????

JediMack

Guest Majsju

One main book, two more prequels like New Spring, and possibly two outrigger books, but those are just something RJ has said that he might do. He got some ideas, and put them away to poke around with every now and then to see if he feels that it's worth writing.

But in the main series there's only one book left.

I started Stephen King's Dark Tower on book four of seven. After I was well and thouroughly hooked, he says he may not finish before dies or goes blind whichever comes first. Grrr. That's all I'm gonna say about it. At least he was able to finish em though.

i hear ya dalic, i started on book four of DT myself, waited an age it seemed for book 5.

and then he gets hit with a van, scared the bejeezus out of me i thought he'd had it. same thing when i heard that RJ was ill, i'd hate for either of them to have left there greatest works unfinished.

RJ has clearly stated AMOL will be the last book. However if it is going to be such a huge book what's to stop him doing something like what was done for some versions of Magician ? ie. Magician - Apprentice and Master. Or GRRM's A Storm of Swords. One title, two books.

AMOL - Part 1 - get's it all setup. The 3 ta'veren meet, resolve the White Tower / Black Tower problems, etc. A REAL treaty with the Seanchan.

AMOL - Part 2 - The Last Battle and aftermath.

I don't think too many would begrudge RJ fudging it doing this. Certainly not if it gets us AMOL - Part 1 a long time before we'd otherwise see any AMOL.

RJ has also clearly stated that he'll do his best to prevent AMoL from being "georgemartined", i.e. divided into two halfs due to the publisher's refusal to publish the novel as one book. The question is whether he can do it. I believe he can. Being, probably, TOR's most popular author, he will be able to dictate his own rules. After all, RJ can easily find a publisher who will jump at the opportunity to publish his books, and TOR will hardly be able to find another Jordan easily.

Archived