DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Verin and a possible reason for her craziness

Kadere

I wouldn't call this a theory, but a question. I'm rereading TFoH again, and in the Chapter "Memories", while Padan Fain is retrieving his dagger from the White Tower, Alviarin pops in and says something interesting, which I couldn't help but scratch my head at.

"You want to steal that?" She sounded as though he had not spoken. "The ruby is not worth it, Fain. Or whatever your name is. That blade is tainted so none but a fool would touch it except with tongs, or be near it for a moment longer than necessary. You can see what it did to Verine. So why did you come here and go straight to what you should not have known was here? You cannot have had time for any search." (Chapter 19, "Memories")

Now ever since we're introduced to Verine in TGH she's around Mat (or close enough to) up till the removal of the Dagger in TDR, yet besides the removal of the dagger from Mat, I don't believe she's ever in real contact to the dagger. So what did it do to Verine, and how?

According to Alviarin it did do SOMETHING, SOMEHOW, and THAT could explain SOME of her odd behavior. From seeing it's effects on Padan and Mat, we know that it can make a person almost bi-polar, and make them go from helpful to people to a closet nut case. From Verine's personality, it would seem that an effect (if any) would not have been a great one, but any amount of an effect could be the cause of why she acts strangely.

So I don't really know, but I thought it was interesting.

When you have almost 2000 characters in your books I guess it is very difficult to invent completely different names for all of them. Though I think RJ might at least have taken care, that an insignificant character wouldn’t bear a name almost identical to someone as important as Verin. Or maybe he did it on purpose, hoping that somebody makes this mistake. You can expect this from a man who won’t tell us who murdered Asmodean because he likes to see us squirm. If the latter is the case, I hope it cheered him up, he needs it now.

Guest Egwene

lol... oh, Kadere!! But I know how you feel... I have made one or two mistakes of that kind as well... infact, I seem to remember that it took me a moment or two at the time as well to think of the unfortunate novice, rather than dear old Verin :wink:

Archived