DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Yeah Boss!

Kaznen

1. What about your morals clause? You know, that thing you use as a polite excuse to not go to certain parties at Dragon*Con?

Good question! My morals clause is very specific towards things that put my employer in a bad light or break the law.  There is nothing in my article about the school I work for, or even that I teach. Also, it's not illegal to swear on the internet. I've checked.

2. Eowyn was in the book first! Have you even read LotR?

Good question! Sadly, I have not read those books. I have a low tolerance for elven poetry. As for the related charge that Eowyn shouldn't have been included in a Hollywood-centric article, I will point out that my original article pitch wasn't exclusive to movies. It just turned out that way after several rewrites and edits.

3. How much did you get paid?

Good question! Cracked pays $50 per accepted submission. If you are in the top ten articles by page views the month it runs, that doubles.

4. Have you even SEEN Firefly? Why do you hate Joss Whedon so?

Good question! Yes, I have seen Firefly. I adore it actually. But not so much that I can't view it with a critical eye. Though I will point out that I originally included a deeper exploration of River's role as a Damsel In Distress in the Firefly 'verse along with examples of DIDs that have been able to transcend that and become Warrior Women. And while River becomes magically sane in the last few minutes of Serenity, it's fairly ambigous and I don't consider her as a Warrior Woman.

Though I do think Joss is a smarmy, pompous douchebag of a man. I still like his shows.

5. Why did you write this? Is this supposed to be a joke?

Good question! I've been wanting to try my hand at writing for Cracked since the merger, however I didn't have any worthwhile ideas. However, I've always hated Keira Knightly and will rant freely and unprovokedly about her terrible character in the PotC movies. After a conversation regarding her and feminism with a friend, I started thinking of how to put together a solid argument on why she was terrible for women. It's very, very, VERY important to me that people understand how she ruins things for other women. Since Cracked articles are really freshman lit crit papers with swears, it seemed like a good pitch. Evidently, someone else agreed with me.

As for it being a joke...Yes. It's supposed to be funny. It's quite alright if you don't find it hilarious. I never laugh when I read my own writing. If you do the same, that's fine. I have fifty ways to console myself.

7. Jennifer Liang? Since when does Cracked have hot Asian women writing for them?

Good question! Cracked has had hot Asian women writing for them since Christina Hsu (Mortal Wombat on the forums) sold her first article last fall.

8. You're a man hating feminist, aren't you?

Good question! No, I'm not a man hater. I'm married (to a man). I have friends who are both men and women. I freely admit that the brand of feminism advocated in my article makes it seem like I never shave my legs and I spell "women" with a "y". So if this is your only exposure to me, I understand why you might think that. The article just played better when I wrote from that perspective. Also? It's freakin' Cracked, the same site that ran a "I want to see Sarah Palin Naked" article a few days after mine. Clearly, nuanced discussions of gender in the media are not our strong point.

Any other questions?

Archived