DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What did Tom "See"

Matrim DeLaneous

New to the forum, and not sure if this has come up.  During a quick re-read of KOD, there was an interesting exchange in ch 11, "Hell in Mederin". 

After Matt's knife fight in the alleyway, he turns around and sees Tom & Tuan's attendant (Sareitha?), standing amidst 6 dead bodies.  Tom & Sareitha who were both guarding Tuan <before she finished off Matt's last oponent - who was a female> had some knife induced scrapes, but Tuan is clean and untouched.  Then Matt overhears Tom say to Sareith that he sees things, but because he's so old, he often forgets what he sees. 

What did he see?

Supposition:  I think he saw Tuan use the power.

I am reading KOD and I remember thinking the same thing, that Thom was witness to Tuon using the One Power.

Or, it could be he saw Tuon fighting (like she did to Mat when he kidnapped her)...but yah, the first thought in my head was that she used the One Power.

Thom saw Selucia fight. Selucia is as far as Thom is concerned supposed to be Tuons maid, and certainly not one he expects to be able to handle herself in a fight. What he did not know is that Selucia also is Tuons bodyguard, though he figured out something in that direction when he saw her fight. And being the smart guy that he is, he recognised the importance of keeping that fact a secret, which is why he told Selucia that he would keep quiet.

Had there been a ny channeling going on, from Tuon or anyone else, Mat would have jumped out of his pants. Channeling where there is not supposed to be any channeler nearby, and while he is involved in a fight? We would have seen quite a reaction from him.

Thom saw Selucia fight. Selucia is as far as Thom is concerned supposed to be Tuons maid, and certainly not one he expects to be able to handle herself in a fight. What he did not know is that Selucia also is Tuons bodyguard, though he figured out something in that direction when he saw her fight. And being the smart guy that he is, he recognised the importance of keeping that fact a secret, which is why he told Selucia that he would keep quiet.

Had there been a ny channeling going on, from Tuon or anyone else, Mat would have jumped out of his pants. Channeling where there is not supposed to be any channeler nearby, and while he is involved in a fight? We would have seen quite a reaction from him.

Seems more plausible.  Matt was wearing his medallion and there was no reference to any coldness / chanelling.  As the chapt was from Matt's POV, I just thought the exchange between Tom & Selucia was a little cryptic, almost as if there was a brief shift in the POV. 

Plus his foxhead medallion would have gone cold if there was even minor chanelling nearby. I seem to remember him feeling the medal going cold even when Joline and the other aes sedai were teaching the two ex-sildame bout saidar using very small amounts of the one power.

Exactly.  Tuon was untouched not because she is a good fighter (she is, but so is Mat), but because Selucia eliminated everyone who attacked her.  Selucia was the one who was injured.  Also, Thom's exchange was with Selucia, not Tuon.

Archived