DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Best Webcomics?

Kivam

So, what are everyone's favorites?  (I'm always looking for a new time waster)

Mine:

Sluggy Freelance (www.sluggy.com): Brilliant artwork (once you get past the first few years in the archives), can be both laugh out loud funny and poignant - sometimes at the same time - well developed characters, great storylines (some damn near novella size, when all's said and done), a nice sci-fi touch.  The best.

Some samples:

020201g.gif

width=640 height=466http://pics.sluggy.com/images/comics/021002a.gif[/img]

Sinfest (www.sinfest.net): Minimalist artwork, funny, lots of good v. evil, great characters, some but not too many ongoing storylines. 

Some samples:

width=640 height=218http://sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2008-08-26.gif[/img]

width=640 height=218http://sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2008-08-16.gif[/img]

width=640 height=218http://sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2008-08-04.gif[/img]

Kevin & Kell (www.kevinandkell.com) - nothing particularly stands out about it, but I like the characters and the storylines, the artwork is great, and its a fun premise/read every day

Samples:

kk20080828.gif

kk20080810.gif

So . . . what are yours?

Yeah, I always end up finding another webcomic to waste my time with too. Luckily I lose interest in a few months, though. Usually.. but the ones that I'm STILL reading..

www.penny-arcade.com - pretty funny, I think, basic gamer sorta stuff.. but these guys are hugely popular so I don't think much else is needed

www.vgcats.com - same, but more of a kitty-theme instead of humans for the most part. Doesn't update that often, though, kinda sucks. He has a funny pokemon side comic and a silly, short, MMORPG-based one on there too.

I used to read nuklear power a lot. Pretty silly 8-bit comic. www.nuklearpower.com

A guilty pleasure sort of comic would be www.misfile.com which is updates every weekday. Basically an angel accidentally turned a boy into a girl and stole two years off another girl's life by misplacing some files. The art is okay and the storyline is usually interesting. Big car thing, too, if anyone is into that.

Exploitation Now was probably my favorite web comic of all time but it's no longer being updated and I don't even have the link anymore. Haha. Same with ctrlaltdel. That one was like penny-arcade but I like that one better.

Sorry no samples to put up, feeling real beat tonight.

The main ones I frequent has been mentioned here but there are a few more that are pretty good.

Already mentioned:

Ctrl Alt Del

Questionable Content

Misfile

Nuklear Power

Order of the Stick (great comic, would be better with a more regular updating schedule)

Erfworld (on the same site as above)

Not yet mentioned:

Dominic Deagan - Epic tales about the powerful seer Dominic Deagan. Some fun parts, some serious parts. Good story.

Rune Master - More "comicy' than most webcomics, about a party of demon slayers and their wanderings.

Gunnerkrigg Court - A girl who goes to school. Mostly light hearted. Usually fun story lines. The clown one is the best. :P

Bardsworth - A guy finds a door to a magical world in his closet. So of course he goes to school there.

Girl Genius - About a girl with the "spark". Those with the spark are mad scientists mostly.

I actually frequent quite a few more sites, but the ones I mentioned here are my favourites and they update regularly (at least 3 times a week).

Ctrl+Alt+Del started off quite funny, but it's definitely gone to the dogs in the last few years. I think the writer's been having some kind of slow-motion nervous breakdown or something as the tone of the strip has gone really weird and he started doing kitchen sink dramas and less things that are actually funny.

I really like the two movies-remade-as-RPG-campaign strips:

DM of the Rings: fantastic. It's finished as well, which is great. LotR retold as a D&D campaign with very typical players. It gives RPG explanations for some of the odder things from the movies (Elrond teleports to the Rohirrim camp to give Aragorn the sword because the DM forgot to give it to him in Rivendell like he was supposed to), as well as some iconic moments from both the book and film (the Fellowship splits because the Hobbit players are cheesed off playing weaklings who can't fight and go off to play the Star Wars RPG instead). Really funny, especially how they handle Gollum.

Darths and Droids: similar, but with the Star Wars movies. Possibly even better, as it explains the total insane mess Lucas made of these movies (explanation for Jar-Jar: he's the eight-year-old sister of one of the players shanghaied into playing so he doesn't have to babysit). This is about a year old and they're approaching the end of The Phantom Menace, so if they do all six movies this is going to be ongoing for quite some time to come.

And it's not really a webcomic (since it has moving pics and sound and all that stuff) but Red versus Blue is excellent.

. All 100 of them are up on YouTube and there's a new series going on now as well. Very funny, especially for Halo fans and fans of SF action and horror movies.

I actually like where Ctrl+Alt+Del has been going. I prefer comics with storylines that makes you feel for the characters involved. Tim does this excellently with humor and seriousness that's splashed with humor. Sure there are some comics with just wackiness but those are mostly to give a little break. I like how Tim put it once, Ctrl+Alt+Del is a gamer comic, not a game comic.

Plus, if I wanted random game humor, I'd read Penny Arcade (which I do, but not religiously).

I actually like where Ctrl+Alt+Del has been going. I prefer comics with storylines that makes you feel for the characters involved. Tim does this excellently with humor and seriousness that's splashed with humor. Sure there are some comics with just wackiness but those are mostly to give a little break. I like how Tim put it once, Ctrl+Alt+Del is a gamer comic, not a game comic.

That's not the problem. The problem is that after 5 years of doing a jokey game-centric comic he suddenly starts throwing in some tedious relationship stuff and then a miscarriage storyline (seriously, what the hell?). It's obviously possible to do a serious, dramatic webcomic but to suddenly throw this stuff into an ongoing comedy one doesn't make sense. Plus Buckley is pretty awful and mawkish at writing such stuff.

Archived