DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let the void burn with flames (attn Saira)

Liitha

A.D. sat on the fence, one foot on either side of it dangeling as she fliped through the book. It was one of old battles, and the curent section was rather interesting, talking about a method for focusing. She had been reading the pages five times over when she heard the footsteps and looked up, as she saw one of the other girls in the band only a few years older then her a smile passed her lips, someone she could discuss it with, and maybe Saira knew more about the topic.

"Saira?" she called out to gain the other girls attention, "hey, look I found this book in the libary, have you heard about this flame and void, its described really well in here and suposedly helps you focus better, sounds like something usefull to learn"

She looked hopefully at the other girl.

After having done some minor exercises as part of her training, Saira decided to go for a walk around the terrain. There was snow, and even though the temperature was much milder than she was used to this time of the year it still felt good to know that at least it was still cold enough for snow. Closing her eyes, she listened to the snow crunching between her boots, imagining herself back home in Kandor...

"Saira?"

The mention of her name managed to bring her out of her thoughts, and she looked to see who had called her just now.

"Hey, look I found this book in the libary, have you heard about this flame and void, its described really well in here and suposedly helps you focus better, sounds like something useful to learn"

Blinking, she tried to recall the girl's name. Though they had shared a couple of classes together, she knew the other girl to spend a lot of time with-- in the stables, more than likely the only place in the Citadel she refused to go near. Still, she should know what the girl was called... Arya, she believed. And what was that about a book...?

- "Hm? Well... I don't know a lot about it, but i think i heard my dad teach my brothers something like that. He never taught me though, something about girls raised by their mother, go figure."

She subconsciously glanced at her own flat chest. Though she never tried to hide the fact that she was a girl, most people assumed otherwise at first sight -- thanks a lot, nature --, and the fact that she often wore boys' clothing didn't really help either. Not like she could help having three older brothers, and had gotten used to wearing their clothes through hand-me-downs. Anyway, Flame. And Void. Right.

- "Umm... from what i recall, it's about clearing your mind, though it's been a while since i remember dad teaching it... What else does that book say about it?"

Saira

What was that again...?

A.D. slid down of the fence and sat down on a patch of grass. "Well it says you are to form a picture of a flame in your head, and feed everything into it, like your emotions and everything, so that you just have a black void with a flame in your head sort of."

A.D. smiled at the other, she glanced up in time to see someone aproaching, "Seems we are geting more company" She frowned a moment at a stabing pain, her body was finaly growing, but she was none to happy with the discomfort it was causing her, but maybe if they learned this focus method she could block it out.  It was all good and well that, though she was still conserned what she was going to do when her chest was fully developed, some women grew really large, she hoped she would be like Saira instead, she could only imagine how breasts would get in her way as a scout, she also hoped she wouldnt start shooting in the air, her size was an advantage in her mind.

ooc tig said he was joining us

Hmmm. Heather pondered. She was feeling...hungry! It seemed like a good time to go have her mid-morning snack, so she started to meander over toward the kitchen. On her way there, she saw a duo over by a fence.  Saira and someone else...who was that? She edged closer and saw that it was a little person. A familiar little girl. Oh, she was the girl in the stables! What was her name again? B.J.? No. T.K.? No, not that either. A.D.! That's her! She merrily meandered over to the pair.

"Hey guys! What are you up to? Mind if I join you?" she asked in her perky demeanor. Her snack could wait. She was always up for something fun, even if it didn't necessarily mean she was fed well.

Heather al'Morris

Socialite and Bottomless Pit

Saira looked up, noticing the tall form of Heather heading for them.

- "Oh, hi! We're trying to figure something out from this book Arya found, want to have a go at it?"

She'd make some room where she was sitting, positioning herself in such a way that all three of them would have little trouble reading the section about the Void and the Flame. Saira's vague memories gave her a decent shot at figuring out what to do, but that was still a far cry from mastering it on her own. It had taken her brothers something like a week to learn, if her memory served corrctly.

Saira

How did that go again...?

• 1 month later...

A.D. reangled the book and held it further out so as to help with making everyone able to read, maybe a tird head would make the situation better. "Burning your thougths, its like, i dont know, how do you prevent yourself then think about doing that, which would be a new thougth to be burned in an eternal circle..less you do it as a mather of reflex like breathing, but if it was a nesicary as such we'd know it so how do you learn such a reflex, we just breed, we never learned it...not sure I quite get it"

she tried to imagine a flame, and thougth back to a camp fire she made last week when out with a few others picking berries and patroling the forest, she had been staring into the flames as if hypnotised, maybe that was it. "Do you think it would help looking at an actual fire, I mean when you look deep into one you sort of can loose track of time, maybe its somewhat like that?"

Heather gawked at the book and the awkward ramblings. Honestly, she didn't know much more than they and she had no better ideas. She had heard of it from family and friends back around Baerlon. Apparently it was something they used for competitions and hunting, but no one had ever taught it to her.

"I suppose maybe staring at the fire could work. They do have a certain thing about them that makes you lose yourself. Now where can we find a fire?" She pondered and saw a group of men around a small fire a short way off. "Ah, let's see if we can go stare at their fire!"

Heather al'Morris

As blonde as she seems

Saira looked at the fire Heather had pointed out, and agreed with both her and A.D. that maybe looking at an actual fire would help them along a bit. After all, with a memory to recall it should be easier to imagine the flame than without it. That the fire further up was already made and burning meant they'd not have to lose time gathering firewood and making a firebow and such.

- "Sure, sounds good to me. And then we imagine putting our thoughts and emotions in it while trying to remain aware of what's around us, right?"

At least, that's what she thought they'd need to do. Staring at a fire could cause people to lose themselves for a while, but judging that zoning out wasn't exactly a good thing in the middle of combat there should be a way of still knowing what went on around you as well. She guessed it would be the most difficult part, finding the knack and then mastering it. Thrusting her hands in the pockets of her pants -- she hardly ever wore dresses, blame hand-me-downs and two older brothers -- she took a few steps towards the group of men, turning around to see if the other girls had started walking as well.

Arutha was comforted by the warm fire and companionship.  It was getting a little late and no one was saying much, but the semi closeness of sharing the fire made him feel somewhat at home in this new place.  He had not been with the band for even a whole week yet but already he was starting to cheer up.  This is a long way from a petty theif's life in Caemlyn, he thought to himself. 

"Well its getting late, I'm turnin in. Got a long day ahead of me tomorrow," Rurak said, "As do you Arutha.  Bow trainin tomorrow early, dont stay out too late, you will need your rest."  Arutha watched Rurak walk a little ways back to the barraks.  He had grown to like the man.  THough he was the same age as Arutha himself, he was beginning to view the more experienced soldier as sort of an older brother, or a mentor. He had taken him under his wing and brought him to the band.  He had shown him that he did still have a chance to turn his life around.  The other men turned to leave as well, mumbling about the work that lay ahead of them the next morning.  Arutha chose to stay a little while longer.  He truly did enjoy the warmth of the fire.  The alone time also gave him some quality time to reflect on his current situation.

Arutha turned his back to the fire and saw three young women approaching the fire.  A little on edge at the site, not having much experience in dealings with women, Arutha still welcomed the site of the approaching soldiers as a welcome ocurrence.  At least he might not have to be the one to douse and clean up after the fire.  He stood watching them, thinking of a nice greeting for when they entered the circle of the fire's light.

• 2 weeks later...

Heather ran up to Saira and put her arm though Saira's also snatching up A.D. with her other arm and they went on their merry way to the fire. Getting closer, she saw there was only one man sitting there. She gave a perky greeting. "Good day, good sir. Oh! It's you! From earlier at the recruitment office! May we come and stare at your fire?"

A.D. got a feeling of merryment when she was joined into a leash walking towards the fire, and when Heather asked if they could watch the fire, well for some odd reason she just could not help herself as laugther boubled up her troath.

She sometimes forgot that most younger people was not grown up in the band like she was, though that reminded her of a lost friend, more of them actualy, even if she at first hadnt been sure if she had liked the old commanders daugther. It was a rather depresing storry alltogheter and her mood died somewhat down as she wondered how they all was faring, most of all she missed Drea though, she was one of the women who had made Arya feel apart when she first came around.

Draging the other two down with her she droped down crosslegged, "we're trying to feed our thougths into a flame" she explained with a wry grin.

Saira was a bit surprised as she was dragged towards the fire, but allowed Arya to lead until she plopped down where the other soldiers had been sitting earlier. She smiled somewhat uneasily at Arutha before sitting down herself, just focusing on the fire instead as she brushed a strand of hair from her face.

Blinking, it occurred to her that she didn't really know how to feed her emotions into a fire. Was it kind of like thinking them at the flames? Only she couldn't really think either, that was kind of the opposite of what she was trying to achieve. Sighing, she just tried striking up a mental conversation with the fire about how her day had been, hoping she'd ease into it as time went by. So anyway, when i woke up this morning...

Saira

Talking to a fire

• 2 weeks later...

Heather followed suit as A.D. and Saira plopped down and sat crosslegged. She stared intensely at the small fire , attempting to "feed" her emotions into it. She didn't really know how do do it, but she found herself slowly getting closer to it. Slowly closer. She retaliated once the heat started to scorch. "Ow! Too close!" she fell backwards and flailed her arms. After she got back up, she looked around sheepishly. "Ummmm, yeah. The fire's hot." she went back to staring, keeping a careful distance from the flames. How are we supposed to do this?

Heather

Eventful

A.D. glansed deep into the flames trying to ignore the heat, hearing Heather comenting on it and a smile passed over her lips. Closing her eyes a moment she imagined the flame she had focused on, and only that, everytime she started thinking of something else she made slits in her eyes to catch the flame again. Slowly she managed to see only the flame, and then she could hear more clearly, it was like the world around them had gone silent or the fire had grown bigger. Slowly she opened her eyes, she looked at the guy on the oposite side of the fire and something about his expresion made her giggle, which had the effect of her thougths crashing in on her.

Puzled she looked to her studymates "I think I had it, before he made me laugh" she smiled across the fire in a friendly way, "at least something changed, its like everything goes silent and louder at the same time..." she looked with a question on the two others to see if they understood what she talked about and had achived it as well.

"Louder and silent at the same time? Why, that's crazy. Let me try!" Heather replied. She began to close her eyes while keeping the image of the fire in her head. Focus on the fire. She sat there, in a trance-like stage for about a minute. Suddenly, things were as described - silent, yet louder. More...aware. She opened her eyes and exclaimed, "I got it!"

She practiced going in and out of this feeling. A thought struck her. "Hey guys, why don't we have a snowball fight? When we're in battle, we won't be in a peaceful environment, so we should practice staying in the void while we're distracted!" She nodded sagely, then bent down and collected a snowball in her hands.

Saira had been having the strangest of feelings once she stopped concentrating on the flow of words she was mentally sending to the fire. She heard Arya and Heather talk, was aware of what they were saying, but it was as if she was in a corner of her own mind, surrounded by calm even if her body wasn't. It felt... strangely comfortable, that silence, that absence of thought.

Suddenly, her body seemed to move on its own, she felt herself raise her arm out to her side but it was only until her lower arm collided with Heather's that she knew what was going on. Pieces of snowball collided with her face, causing her to snap out of it, and she turned to give Heather a puzzled look.

- "I... think i got it too. It was like i knew what was going on without looking, really weird."

Still, another snowball managed to break the ice, and pretty soon she was grabbing a handful of snow as well, the look in her eyes set on payback. There was still the Void though, something about trying to hold it while having a snowball fight, but for now she just wanted to shake the odd feeling she had had, and try and get her mind off it before she'd go and try that again.

Saira

Got it ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Arya took a moment to gain the void and feel it out before slowly geting on her feet to follow the other two, so as to not loose it as she stood up. She only got too take two steps though before she had to duck for a snowball, resulting her in missing a root and stumbeling on her face into the snow instead. She gasped at the shock of the cold, and of course the void was gone. 

Shaking her head she got back up and scooped up snow to chase after the others while trying to get herself back into the void, she would rapidly loose it, but for each time it came back a little easier, and stayed a little longer. And she figured by the development of the snowball figth that it was much the same for the others as well, it did sertainly add a whole other element to it. Curently she was hiding behind a rock in the shadow of a tree, scouting for the others, the darkness slowly growing on them made it even harder to catch eachother, and with it came cold, though that didnt bother her as much in the void, though it was a bigger shock when you snaped out of it now.

She could hear the crusty sound of snow moving, and she peeked over the edge of the rock to see if she could spot a target.

ooc feel free to be hit or been clever and located her and place something in her face :P whichever ;)