DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Game] Rivalry Time 360 vs PS3

Tenshin_Xo

Disclaimer - I'm planning on buying a ps3.  More as a BD player, but I'll give it go.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gok0bh813Y7rzNdOhYP1zBIUiMSA

I guess theres a hard-on for Tales of Vesperia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38930/98/

Microsoft's Xbox 360 slaps Sony's PS3 in Japan

Games and Entertainment

By Wolfgang Gruener

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:53

Tokyo (Japan) - Once again, it is an exclusive game title that is the decisive factor in console sales. In this case, it is worth a special note, as the Xbox 360 sold almost three times more units as the PS3 over the course of one week. Nationally and internationally, the Xbox 360 and the PS3 seem to be involved in a dead heat with sales advantages shifting almost every month. Who will make the winning move?

Microsoft usually has a tough time grabbing positive video game headlines against Nintendo and Sony, but we are sure that Microsoft is celebrating at least this week. According to a Reuters article and an Ascii Media Works report, the Xbox 360 dramatically outsold the PS3 in Japan, a market that has been extremely difficult for Microsoft.

In the week ended August 10, Microsoft sold 28,116 Xbox 360 units of the Xbox 360 compared Sony, which sold 10,705 PS3 units. Microsoft's success is believed to have been driven by Namco Bandai's role-playing game "Tales of Vesperia", an exclusive title for the Xbox 360. The sales result is impressive, but still far behind Nintendo's Wii, which sold 41,044 in the same time frame.

Popular exclusive game titles typically work very well as a short term catalyst for game console sales. Extreme examples, for example, include Bungie's Halo 3 for the Xbox 360, which enabled Microsoft to sell almost 528,000 Xbox 360 units during the game's release month in September 2007 - which was more than twice the 277,000 units the company sold in the prior month. In September of 2007, the Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 (119,000 units) by a factor greater than 4:1 and even eclipsed Nintendo's Wii, which sold 501,000 consoles during the month.

In June of this year, Sony was able to profit from the release of Metal Gear Solid IV, boosting its console sales from about 209,000 in May to almost 406,000 in June. In July, sales were back down to 225,000 units.

A look across PS3 and Xbox 360 sales charts indicates that both companies are caught up in a cat and mouse game and spikes in sales are primarily driven by exclusive game titles, suggesting that a trend towards exclusive game titles will be accelerating. Nintendo appears to be immune to this battle and has been able to distinguish its hardware enough from the other two without being overly exposed to software swings.

Sony was recently rumored to be planning another price cut for its Playstation 3, but it appears that such rumors will not translate into reality anytime soon - especially not if content has much more impact on sales than $50 price cuts. At least at this time it seems that neither Microsoft nor Sony have figured out how to achieve a substantial long-term advantage over the other, even if there are clear indications that the PS3 is slowly chipping away market share from Microsoft. The rate, however, varies from month to month and there is reasonable doubt whether Sony will be able match the installed base of the Xbox 360 within the next two years.

Both companies are trapped in a market that just seems to be waiting for the winning move. So far, we haven't seen it. "

Looks like MSFT took Sony in Japan of all places.  Ouch. 

• Community Administrator

No, more like I was sleeping, its my day off of work, and you posted that about the time I went to bed last night. :P

Sony has dominated the Japan vs M$ Since it came out, so 1 week, or 1 month means shit;

M$ may have sold 28,000 this 'week' for the release of some crappy RPG, but thats only 28,000 out of the 32,000 they have sold this year in japan.

Also, August 26th will destroy anything M$ has had to offer in japan.

Heres a clue, upon a scheduled 'game release', console sales tend to drop a few months/weeks before it is released, because people don't want to 'buy' the console until after there game has come out, Hence the 'drop' in sales sony has been experiencing.

Of course, there hasn't been much of anything released in August across the board, so its also not to much to see why the ps3's sales have dropped.

I also have to ask, What games have released by the DS? PSP? ECT? that could also have affected sales?

I mean, even the PS2 is outselling the 360 in Japan, and the PSP is keeping pace with the DS. Unlike M$ who dumped the Xbox, and went into only producing 360's, has effectively shot there own sales into a brick wall!

You know, cause sony is actually making profits from psp/ps2, and while they are opperating at a marginal loss with the ps3, so is M$ with the 360. ;)

*Ahem*

BEIJING, June 27 (Xinhuanet) -- Playstation 3 has been a roughly 3.3 billion U.S. dollar loss for Sony Corp. since its launch last year, according to the company's fiscal 2008 annual report

Xbox turns profit of 524 mil

First of all, that 524M profit is from January, and may-or-may-not contain the $$$ M$ dumped to pay for all the Red Ring of Death Warrnties. (how much was that again? 3bil?)

Then you combine the fact, that the rrod is still an issue today (but not nearly the 30% that it was before).

Now toss in the 'cheaper parts = operating at a profit = more rrod - a few billion for extending warranties + cheaper parts...

Now compare this to the PS3, opperating at a loss since it started. (same with the 360, and the 360 has been around for 1 year MORE than the PS3, THUSLY, it has a year HEAD Start on the Ps3 for operating at a profit)

Now throw in the estimated 1% failure rate of the ps3 (even though industry standard is 3-5%.)

So you 'are' paying for a qaulity product.

Quality prodict means Sony will have only 1-5% of sales that will 'eat up' their 1 year manufacturers warranty. (vs MS's 30% for the first 2 years?)

Now, consider all the Ps2's that are still being sold world wide, that Are operating at a profit.

Now toss in all the PsP's that are being sold world wide, that are operating at a profit.

Sony, as a Console/Hand Held Branch isn't doing bad compared to the Microsoft Console Branch.

Now, you could say 'oh, well M$ has an OS, and if you add in those profits...'

Well, yea, they have a LOT of profit, but than, Sony doesn't have an OS. So its like comparing a Cart of Apples to an Empty Cart. THe only comparison is between consoles.

You don't see a Microsoft Movie Studio, yet you see Sony Pictures. So in the Movie industry, sony is kicking M$'s ass!

Of course, you could just toss the Wii in this 'debate' and Nintendo is just screwing with M$ and Sony.

I mean, they are slaughtering the 360 and the PS3, have been operating at a profit sine launch, and sell Vaporware like it were the second coming... I mean, seriously if Nintendo were to put a pile of shit, into a paper bag, and label it super smash bros 4 (or whatever they are up to now) 200 million nintendo fans would go out, and buy it on the first day.

There would be riots, death, and destruction everywhere. Like I've been saying since day 1.

The Wii IS a Super Soldier Training Device, and should be Feared!

GTA:IV, as that one lawyer who's name I shall not mention for fear he'll be like the darkone and smite me, and totally not because I forgot his irrelevant name, says, is a device used to train people to kill.

Even if that were true, its not training people to be come ultra-fit, ultra-balanced, ultra-killing machines, who are fanatics, AND are geeks which automatically means they are Inteligent! If you don't see that as a threat, you are.. ONE OF THEM!

Anyways, back onto the topic, the Ps3 is running at a loss, no ones questioning that, ITs the nature of the buisness.

Ps1 was operating at a loss & competing against the N64, (which was also operating at a loss) it took a couple of years for both of them to start turning a profit on the hardware front. Profits are really from the software, which they both get a nice royalty fee, which is basically pure profit, just for a game company to play there game on there machine. The Ps1 also used CD's.

Ps2, operated at a loss, and its compition was the GameCube (also operated at a loss) Than the Xbox came out around the 4th to 6th year, and the Ps2 still won that generation, partly due to

A) It had been around for so long, the library WAS huge.

B) It had a wide variety of games.

C) Developers were making games FOR Ps2, then xbox/gamecube

D) It was basically the 'standard' developers used, they've been using it for years already, and xbox was that new untested format that everyone hated for trying to say it had the best graphics, when it CAME INTO THE GAME Soooo late, and tried to say they 'won' the generation for having the best graphics, but its like going into a knife fight with an AK47, 3 hours later and declaring yoru self the victor! :P

That said.

Xbox decided they would try to do a sony, They wanted to be in the game early, to establish a wide library of games, and at the same time try to put the best components money could buy into it, but better than what the competition already had out, but not quite tooo good.

They came out a year before the ps3, and about 6 months before the wii.

They had a year to establish a large library of games, as that was what let the Ps2 win over the 360. The number of games that you could play.

Microsoft had 2 giant errors in this.

1) It wasn't just the quantity of the games, but also the Quality, and the Shere number of TYPES of games you could play.

Aka, 360 is all shooters, and sports games. RPGs are rare.

2) They failed to see the importance of having a next-gen disk format.

Sony brought the CD to consoles, than the DVD (also one that could be used as a dvd player), and now Blu-ray.

This is what will ultimately win the war for sony.

Microsoft may have a 1 year head start in both profits, and games but they are also 4 years behind in the 'disk' format.

Quite simply, Dvds were already established when the xbox came out. Sony has always been on top of the disk format wars, hell its been apart of format wars since the beginning!

VHS, betamax, cd, Dvd, laser disk, BD, HD-DVD...

Nintendo went from cartridges, to small dvds, to somewhat larger dvds... (or something like that) but they acknowledge the need to have a different 'medium' per console generation. Preferably one that has a higher capacity. It cuts down on the costs later in the consoles life. (aka, multi-disk while cheap now, is going to be MORE expensive for the 360, than using a single disk would be for the ps3. FF13 for example is believed to take up 2 layers of a BD disk, which is 50GBs, which would be about 6 DVD's for the 360, which while today isn't all that much in terms of price, it still costs alot of money to make the disk they use to print, + all those specialized cases. when the BD costs the same as a DVD does today, the 360 will be really hurting, and you know it. ;)

But, I believe 2 things are going to be happening.

Within the next year or two, Microsoft will announce the Xbox 720, it will be like xbox 2.5, it will have hardware that is slightly better than the ps3's in every way, come with a larger HDD than the ps3 has, and of course a Blu-ray Drive, or something equivolent. This will be microsofts response to sony, when they can't win, they give up, create something 'new' that is somewhat better (kinda like a 30 year old, getting into a fight with a 35 year old, losing, then taking on a 5 year old just to prove he's better). This will allow M$ to pull the 'we have better hardware, thus we win' like they initially tried, and what sony did this round just to put there foot up M$'s arse. ;)

Oh, and Nintendo, I can guarntee is going to be milking there profit on the wii, wait until it the fad that is the wii finally wares off And than after the PS4 is announced, and the Xbox 720, or 1080 is already on the market.

Nintendo will release a console that is better in every way than the consoles Sony & MS have, by 20 times. And it will reign supreme, and Nintendo will win one generation of the console war, for having not only the best graphics but also the most sales.

One year later, Nintendo will take over the world, and we'll know Nintendo is just a giant Douche, possibly lead by the Douche Bag who does the Mac Commercials. ;)

Oh, and PC gaming will be at an all time low, only spike when they announce Half-Life 3. (Mind you this is about 20 years after HL2, which isn't suprising considering Valves production scale...)

Something about how just because the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan and made a profit, doesn't mean the 360 is really better than the PS3.  In fact the fact that people bought and played it shows that the PS3 is actually better.  Some how.  I don't get how, but its somewhere in there, at least SD thinks so. ;) 

Something about how just because the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan and made a profit, doesn't mean the 360 is really better than the PS3.  In fact the fact that people bought and played it shows that the PS3 is actually better.  Some how.  I don't get how, but its somewhere in there, at least SD thinks so. ;) 

You obviously didn't read the entire thing, because I did not even MENTION japan in that entire thing.

You sir, have been pwned.

Here is what I said. Summed up.

360 Released 1 year earlier than the PS3.

360 has a larger library than the PS3, because they had a 1 year head start.

360's 1 year head start, has allowed them to reach profit margin by their 2.5th year on the market.

The Ps3 is on its 1.5th year on the market.

By the Xbox's 1.5th year on the market, they had just as many games as the Ps3 currently does, and was operating at about the same loss as the Ps3.

The difference between them is this.

Sony has PS2, PS1, and PSP all still selling today, all at a profit.

Microsoft Dumped Xbox, to make Xbox 360, they only sell 360s now.

at 1.5 years into the 360s sales, they were running at about the same profit margin as the ps3 currently is.

But since sony also has PS2, PS1, and PSP, all operating at a profit, Sony as a console company, is leeps and bounds above M$ as a console maker.

Also, if you go by the number of consoles sold to date, the 360 has had less units sold, this time last year, than the PS3 currently does.

That means, that the PS3 is selling more units at a faster rate than the 360 was, 1 year ago. And by this time next year, the PS3 will most likely have sold more units then the 360 did this year.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the 'slope' of the rate of sales of the PS3 vs the 360. The Ps3's slope is higher, meaning it can eventually overtake the 360, but it has the issue of time on its hands, and this is where the ps3 will win. The 360 will be finished in 5, and the ps3 will last 10.

Developers have been developing games for the 360 for 2.5 years, and only 1.5 for the PS3. Yet you are already seeing a shift in Game Developers, developing games for the Ps3 First, than porting them to the 360, instead of the otherway around (which it was). Speeds up development time on multi-platform titles.

That is how you can sum up my last post.

ANd had you actually read it, you would have noticed there was an entire joke section in it, about the biggest joke of all time.

The Wii.

Oh, and the #1 reason PS3 > 360.

Blu-Ray.

DVDs are the 360's acheles heel.

(Note)

If you want to get technical, xbox 360 & ps3 are actually at there 2.67 and 1.67 years in the market respectively.

Heres some words even barms can understand.

360 is dum

people who like 360 are dum

that means barms is dum!

ps3 rox

my sox off

unlike the 360

owning a ps3 is like sex

Only like married sex

becuase it doesn't put out

but when it does put out

its really really really good sex

But thats why barms likes the 360

the 360 is for dum virgins.

or drunk jocks who get all the chix

which barms cleary is not!

;D

Heres some words even barms can understand.

360 is dum

people who like 360 are dum

that means barms is dum!

ps3 rox

my sox off

unlike the 360

owning a ps3 is like sex

Only like married sex

becuase it doesn't put out

but when it does put out

its really really really good sex

But thats why barms likes the 360

which barms cleary is not!

;D

SD, you aren't married are you?  ;) :P  *hides the boards and browsing history from his wife*

You obviously didn't read the entire thing, because I did not even MENTION japan in that entire thing.

Heck no I didn't read the Wall of Text!  :) I didn't wipe with sandpaper when I woke up this morning, but I'll still tell you that hurts.  ;D  I'll quote Chirs Farley here, because he makes the case perfectly...

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a [PS3]? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. [sony] puts a fancy guarantee on a [PS3] 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy[sD] might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing too]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy[sD] isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of @%^&. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me[MSFT].

Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

And uhh, I hope quoting Tommy Boy of all things shows everyone that this is in good humor, I just realized how 'abrasive' this could be if misconstrued in the slightest. 

The problem with your quote, while it is a good one, would make more sense if it was microsoft that had the 'guarntee', and the sony were the 'quality product'.

You know, red ring of death, 30% all = failures, gaurntee/warrenty, yadda yadda...

Now I just need to look up your quote, alter it, and it'll work even better for the ps3! :P

Oh and,

If you want to know the quality of your steak[PS3], you could stick your head up the bulls[PS3's] ass[bottom Rear Exaust Fan], or you could just take the butchers[sony's] word for it. ;)

I was amused Tenshin, cause that was my favourite line in that movie.

And Sin, you claim that all the guys who get chicks have a 360... is that why you stuck with a PS3?

Your not a jock are you?

By posting on DM, any claim you have to being a JOCK is forfiet.

Thusly, the majority of 360 fans are virgins. ;)

I like how SD just keeps debating the same topic over and over and that we keep goading him into it.

My favorite feature is the ability to chat and play with my friends.  Hence why I love the 360 more. 

Xbox Live is the #1 feature followed by Blu Ray in my book. Sure I like watching high def movies.. all 100 that are out (I know it's more) but I want to game. 

Take yesterday for example.  I jump online for some downtime, thinking I haven't played mass effect in a while, so I'll give that a go.  I sign in, and lo and behold Empy's online, and playing Fable's Pub games.  I start up a chat, and we talk about our wives, the kids, you guys, and how much we want such and such item for Fable.  He tells me about the trouble he's having with debt and I told him how I was able to make the money back, and that since he's gonna be an Horrible SOB in game that he should just go ahead and cheat, like almearafan mentioned. ;)  All this without having to do more than turn on my 360. 

TO be perfectly honest, Blu-ray is like betamax, sure it's higher quality than the competition, but so what, VoD is easier. ;) :P

Take yesterday for example.  I jump online for some downtime, thinking I haven't played mass effect in a while, so I'll give that a go.  I sign in, and lo and behold Empy's online, and playing Fable's Pub games.  I start up a chat, and we talk about our wives, the kids, you guys, and how much we want such and such item for Fable.  He tells me about the trouble he's having with debt and I told him how I was able to make the money back, and that since he's gonna be an Horrible SOB in game that he should just go ahead and cheat, like almearafan mentioned. ;)  All this without having to do more than turn on my 360. 

TO be perfectly honest, Blu-ray is like betamax, sure it's higher quality than the competition, but so what, VoD is easier. ;) :P

2 things.

Blu-ray Isn't just for movies, all your ps3 games are on Blu-ray Disks.

blu-ray disks can hold 25GBs of data per layer, ps3 can read up to 2 layers (supposedly, it can read 3 layer disks, but its not proven as no game/movie uses them!) btw, 3 layers = 75GB. Thats the size of my notebooks hard drive.

If you don't understand just how big 25GB is.

A 9 layer DVD disk (or DVD9, highest capacity) is about 9GB, but its slightly closer to 8. or 6 with the 2-3 GBS worth of security.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, took up the ENTIRE 50GB 2 layer Blu-ray Disk.

That is, 6 DVD disks for the Xbox 360.

higher capacity, means less compressing of the variouis video/audio/texture files, Less compression means,

A) Higher quality graphics/sound

B) Less 'cpu usage' from the console, since it has to 'uncompress' the 'compressed' files, to make them look higher quality. But they do lose quality because of this method.

Even if M$ tried to, compress everything in MGS4, it would probably be a 2-3 disk game.

C) It reduces production time. The higher the disk space, means they can fit more info, with out compressing anything, onto the disk, and don't have to play it as smart as the currently do.

(I believe consoles have a lot of duplicate entries in the disks, as you could say the 'early' levels are near the inside of the disk, and the later levels are near the outside of the disk, it reduces 'load times', and of course, makes it so the the laser doesn't have to back track to read something and go back and forth. )

D) Every PS3 comes with a minimum of a 20GB HDD, they can install data onto the HDD, to decrease the load times.

This means, that anygame released for the ps3, can have at maximum, 20GB of data saved onto the HDD.

The 360, can't allow any game to 'require' a game instal, because not all 360's have an HDD.

So, in the long run, the HDD & the Blu-ray will give the ps3 a longer life span, no matter how you look at it! :P

Oh, and Video on Demand, which sony is starting to get into. (The only reason M$ supported HD-DVD was to delay blu-ray taking over the market) But, Sony owns practically the entire movie industry, they have all the studios supporting Blu-Ray, and most newly released blu-ray movies Now, will allow you to 'install' the movie onto your psp or pc. (or at least all Sony Movies)

If sony really wanted to, they could just dominate VoD, and basically black ball M$ from any of the movies.

But, Sony is smarter than that. Why black ball M$, when they could have M$ pay sony out of the nose for their movies? So every sale M$ gets, sony gets a nice amount of the royalties, so M$'s profits, are sony's Profits.

Did I ever mention how awesome the connection between the Ps3, Psp and the PC is?

Empy may not have realized this, since he hasn't even turned on his ps3 in like, 3 months, but their is now

A) Trophy System

B) in-game XMB. (aka, you can chat with people while in games, I haven't tested if the actual 'voice chat' works or not, but the text'messaging chat does work'.)

The only flaws with the Blu-Ray are

A) Slower read times (but this is slightly subjective, as the files are all uncompressed, and when we get games that are going to be 200GB+, they'll start doing what they are doing now with DVD's and compress the stuff! :P

They'll gain 'faster read times' but lose on the performance as the console has to start decompressing all the read files, assuming they don't just skip the decompressing. Also, compared to the DVD player and Blu-ray, the dvd player reads faster in the center, anf slower at the out edges. (this might be reversed, but it doesn't matter) The Blu-ray reads the entire disk, at the same speed. So a DVD maybe 35x at the center, but 40x in the middle, and 25x at the outer, the BD player reads at a constant 30x. + Theres some evidence that even though the read speed is slower than tradtional DVD players, the actual data that is coming through is at a greater rate. You would need to do some research to get the specifics.

B) They are expensive, and I'm not talking about the player. But these costs go down. Making 1 BD is cheaper than making 2 DVD's, the actual disk is pretty expensive, but the giant 'stamp' that makes the disks, those are spendy, and thats why M$ hates multi-disk games, it cuts into there profit margin!

C) The BD player in the ps3, may not be able to read 8 layer BD disks, Infact I'm pretty sure it won't be able to. 2is the most it can read (confirmed, with MGS4) 3 is possible, 4 is probably impossible. Btw, 8 layers = 200GBs And thats just 1 disk! :P

Did I ever mention that Blu-ray disks are pretty tough to scratch through normal means?

you remember how in your ps2 (sorry barms, not you, you don't own one, you probably have a super nintendo though) and I believe even the 360, that you'd get all those perfectly circular scratch marks that were caused from bits of dust in your console?

That won't happen in the ps3 because

A) no dust gets in the drive.

B) it doesn't scratch that easy!

Archived