DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

And...the Fantastic Four are Raised(Raising Party) -Open-

Eqwina

She had not seen Jasine since the raising that morning, but then, she had trainees to deal with and he was no longer hers. Thera had not yet had time to fathom all what that really meant, even being in their new home did not make the dream real.

Choosing out a rose colored silk shirt, embroidered with small violets and dark brown pants that fit like a second skin Thera sat down on the bed to lace up her knee high boots. With no need for defense in Tar Valon she left her sword by the door and did not bother with a coat. Tonight was casual and informal, a time for celebration and remembrance. 

The sun had already fallen below the Tower walls and the shadows stretched long across the yards. A guard at the gate whistled and Thera smiled. “Funny Alquet, keep your eyes on the walls and off of me!”. Since her anger had tempered and she’d lightened her hands with the trainee Thera found that she had an abundance of friends.

The Wise Woman  was only a few blocks from the Tower’s front gate, making it perfect for tonight. Pushing the front door to the Inn open Thera grinned. Candles of all sizes had been set on mirrors around the room; giving it a warming glow. Ribbons and flowers had been set on tables and hung from ceilings; even the casks of ale and wine had been adorned. In the far corner the musicians were setting up and Mistress Marta had the serving girls gathered around her, all of them listening intently. Not wanting to interrupt Thera went over and poured her own glass of wine, by the time she added the spices Marta was at her side all smiles and hugs. “I thank you again for allow myself and my friends to patronize your establishment Marta. I know we are not always the most gracious guests” While that was true, the gold that was paid always more than made up for any mess or drunkenness.

“Think nothing of it Thera Gaidin, you have always been so good to me.”

Returning Marta’s small bow, and making the women grin from ear to ear Thera made a circuit of the room. In truth the room could not have looked any better had she decorated it herself, but it was her habit to inspect work when it was done. She was still fusing over a floral arrangement when Perivar arrived.

“Perivar! Congratulations son, I am sorry..Guard. Old habits die hard you know” Handing him a mug of ale to make up for her slip she wrapped him up in a hug. “I am very proud of you. All of you will go far with the Guards or as a Warder if you choose.”

The door opened again to admit a few more guests, and Thera stood to greet them, pulling Perivar along.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melenis arrived at the Inn after only a little bit of searching. Having had one of her survival classes in Tar Valon itself, she still vaguely remembered where the major Inns were located, the Wise Woman being one of them. Never having had much in the way of clothing save for her uniform, she wore the same outfit she had been wearing during the Ceremony.

Of course, her ashandarei was on her back again, she couldn't stand to be separated from it for long. Though it seemed a bit off in the festive atmosphere, Melenis was certainly more at ease than she had been in the Glade. To her, it was more than a weapon, it was a symbol of her personal strength and perseverance, her determination not to give up despite the odds. And now, as a full Tower Guard, she had taken the first step to doing what she came to Tar Valon to do.

First though, a celebration was in order. Though she had not conquered her past -- the brief trip into Arafel had taught her that -- she had at least come to terms with her own shortcomings after Thera had assured her she would still be able to become a Tower Guard. And that, in itself, was all the reason she needed to remember this as the milestone it represented to her.

Stepping through the door, she noticed Thera and Perivar standing a ways off, and walked over to greet them.

Melenis

Finally made it

No begging or even a please had been said. “ You are Aes Sedai after all” she’d been told. Kabria had changed her green silks for something less formal; dark green and unadorned. Her only jewelry Perivar’s necklace and a great serpent ring. It was with some regret that she left it shawl draped over her chair. Few newly raised went with out, but tonight she would be among friends, and sadly since gaining the shawl few of her friends from the yards had tried to stay in touch. Grabbing a bag from under her bed Kabria smiled.  She had gone out and gotten raising gifts for each of her friends, asking a few questions of Loraine to make sure she got Melenis something she would use.

For Arath she had chosen a solid silver pen set, engraved with his name, and for smiling Jasine a new saddle cloth with his initials and Thera’s, yet another question answered by Loraine. At her favorite book store she’d found a small diary for Melenis and for Perivar….for him she’d had new gauntlets made engraved with her families rose, and a little something else if he chose. Kabria had written a small note explaining what else she had paid for, if he wanted, and tucked it with his gift.

With the presents under arm she headed out of the Tower and into the falling sun. The directions she’d been left were quite clear and she found the moderately sized in with little trouble.

For several minutes she stood outside, just out of sight of the windows. It had been more than a month since she’d seen any of them and had no idea if feelings had changed. After all she was Aes Sedai now; perhaps she would not be wanted at their party. That was part of the reason for the presents, to help solidify that they were friends, not just Aes Sedai and Tower Guards. Loraine had managed so well, if there were any issues tonight Kabria would have to question her on how.

Taking a few deep breaths and walked up the steps, pausing once more at the door. A few more moments and she pushed the door inwards, stepping into the bright lights. Already music filled the room and she saw a few faces she knew, smiling politely she made her way to the table where Perivar, Melenis, Jasine, and Arath sat with Mistress Thera and Master Kynwric and Loraine. “ Good evening all” she hoped her voice was light and held none of the anxiety she felt. “ Congratulations again you four” To Kabria’s great relief smiles greeted her. “I have presents for you all.” Digging into her back she passed around the gifts before taking the seat next to Perivar. There were so many words she wanted to say, but they could wait until they were alone. “A mug of ale please” she said to the serving girl and she watched her friends turn the packages over in their hands. “Well open them already, they are meant to be used to stared at”

Kabria

OOC: Sorry this jumps ahead a bit, but I had time and wanted to get a post up  :)

Perivar had gone back to the barracks after the ceremony.  He was no longer a trainee, a thought that seemed odd.  As much as he had waited for this moment to arrive it still felt wierd to him that he was now a Tower Guard.  He had fond memories of his time in the yards.  Lately he had not been good company though he planned to make it up.  He put the dagger on his belt and secured his sword to his back before leaving for the inn.

The inn was not far from the gate thankfully.  When he entered the room he saw Mistress Thera fussing with a floral arrangement.  She came over to great him handing him a mug of ale while wrapping him up in a hug.  He offered her the proper courtesies and words of thanks.  The words barely left his mouth when the others came pouring in.  Next thing he knew he was being whisked away by Mistress Thera to help her greet the newcomers.

Once that was finished they sat at a table with their mugs as they began to recall their days as trainees.  It still seemed odd that over two years had passed.  He was in the middle of laughing heartily when he saw the door to the common room open.  He was not expecting any new arrivals so he looked away joining back in the conversation. 

This was the second time today that he was shocked to hear her voice. “ Good evening all”  When his eye caught sight of her standing there in a dark green dress his spirits lifted immediately as his eyes drank her in.  “ Congratulations again you four”...“I have presents for you all.”  She said handing them all gifts. 

Perivar rose quickly to greet her thanking her for the gift.  Even in the unadorned dress she was stunning.  He fought the urge to wrap her up in his arms and kiss her 'til the sun came up.  It had been so long since he had seen her or felt her touch, it felt like an eternity.  He wasn't sure exactly what to do, he was apprehensive to do anything other than greet her as a Tower Guard to an Aes Sedai.  He bowed respectfully to her before saying "Good evening Kabria Sedai"  Light that was the first time he had called her that, it had a nice ring to it.  He was about to say more though his words were cut short as she hailed a serving girl asking for mug of ale.  He stood there in a daze as she was introduced to those whom she didn't know.  Perhaps she didn't want him to say more, he was so lost completely unsure what to do.  She was an Aes Sedai now.  Perhaps their relationship could not be public.

Perivar held the chair for her while she sat.  He stood there turning the gift over in his hands not sure waht else to do.  “Well open them already, they are meant to be used to stared at” She said to all of them as he realized they were doing the same.  He opened the gift, a pair of Gauntlets and engraved on them was a rose, the symbol for her family.  Tucked in with the Gauntlet was a note.  He read it then looked at her with an eyebrow raised as he tucked the note away.  "Thank you, it is very kind of you."  He would have to wait until they were private before he could speak to her about the note.  Perivar pulled up another chair and sat next to her though keeping a respectful distance.

Arath grinned as he entered the Wise Woman. It had been only a few weeks since his last celebration and now he was going to celebrate with his friends. In the last few weeks he had not seen very much of Jasine, Perivar, and Melenis, and he was relieved that he would finally be able to spend time with them again. He had finally gotten used to not being a loner and it was a hard couple weeks getting used to it again. He knew that there was a very good chance that his friends would not be in the same company as him, let alone the same banner, but he could hope. Still, even if they didn't end up in the same regimen, they could spend more time together than a Tower Guard could with a few Trainees.

The scene was lively with merriment and festivity, and Arath easily found himself with mug in hand. The ale was good and the scene friendly- the celebration was starting well. It was even more exciting when Kabria (light- he had to think of her as Kabria Sedai now!) came with gifts. He unwrapped his own to find very ornate pens engraved with his name. Arath barely supressed a gasp when he looked at the very meaningful gift. "I... thank you very much." Arath smiled gratefully at the Green. All of the trainees looked pleased with their gifts and the celebration resumed with vigor. Suddenly Arath was attacked by a fit of nostalgia.

"You know, this reminds me of a time near the beginning of my training. I was practicing some forms when a group of Greens came to watch the us. I tried to show off and ended up falling and cutting myself on my own sword!" Arath rolled his eyes as his friends laughed and made jokes at his expense. "Yes, yes, as you can imagine I was ready to sink into the ground, but one Sister was kind and Healed me before chatting with me. I wasn't very far into my training, I think that if that one Sister hadn't been so kind I would have be discouraged to the point of quitting." This time his companions were uncomfortably silent- none of them wanting to imagine that.

"Well, on a lighter note- do any of you have some stories about your trainee days that the rest of us don't already know?" They had spent so much time together that it was unlikely there were an abundance of tales... but who knew?

OOC: Figured that we might as well get on with the remeniscing. :P

Jasine had taken his time in the Glade of Remembrance before leaving to join the others at the Inn.  Now that the moment was here, he was a little apprehensive and nervous about this evening.  He intended to tell all of them about his engagement to Thera and he didn't know how they would take it.  He got the impression that most of them knew something of his relationship with Thera, but not nearly the sincerity of it.  A lot of people would be okay with them fooling around who might not approve of something as binding and serious as marriage.  When he did leave the Glade, he went first to the barn.  Brownie greeted him with a quiet snort for the red cape and Jasine slung his arms around the horse's neck and hugged him close.  "We made it, boy.  We did it."  The horse whickered and Jasine took it for agreement.  He didn't stay long, he had his whole life waiting for him up ahead, once more in an Inn where he would join her.  His heart was lighter as he changed clothes in the barracks and then put his new red cloak on over the finery.  He walked to the Inn rather than taking Rao or Brownie out of the stables, even though both he and the animals would have enjoyed even the brief ride.

"Friends, dear ones, fellow Tower Guards!"  Jasine bellowed jubilantly as he arrived and then moved to join his friends.  When Kabria and Talavin arrived a little later, it was complete.  With the exception of his sister, who had grown understandably more distant in his thoughts recently, this group of people meant more to him than anything else in the world. 

He sat himself next to Thera with the gift from Kabria and began to open it.  When he saw the embroidery his head snapped up and he met her gaze.  When he saw a warm acceptance in hers he relaxed.  She knew, and she was okay with it.  Jasine had known that Perivar was head over heels for the girl, but he wasn't sure how Kabria had felt for his friend.  Apparently, whatever she did feel, it was no longer a crush for Jasine.  He rose and moved to hug Kabria.  "This is a fantastic gift, Kabria Sedai.  Thank you." He pressed his lips to her cheek and then pulled back.  "Thank you for your thoughtfulness and for your friendship."

He lifted the saddle pad for Thera to see and then sat down again.  He ordered another round of drinks for all of them and laughed softly when Arath spoke of cutting himself in front of a Sister.  That must have been before Jasine arrived at the yards, or surely the manh would have already told him of it.  The thought of him quitting was sobering, but he smiled again after a moment, glad that Arath had seen it through.  He put his arm comfortably around Thera's shoulders and sat close to her side, his drink in the other hand. 

"Remember that time you smacked the side of my head while I was distracted looking at pretty women walking by?" Jasine grinned as he tipped his head to the pretty woman at his side.  "That was right before we started learning about the Flame and The Void, when we met Perivar.  I think maybe she might just have been worth that little concussion."

Perivar took Arath's cue and decided to tell one of his stories.  "I remember when Master Jesse did our fitness training, it was Jasine, Visar and I.  Master Jesse took us down by the water for balance training.  He made us jump in the water and had us try to climb on top of barrels and then stand for a count of ten.  I'm not much of a swimmer and trying to pull myself onto the barrel was harder than I could've imagined.  Well it was funny because it was my first class with Visar.  He tried to get Jasine and I to jump with him on the count of three but when he reached three he was the only one to jump in the water.  The water was cold and he came up out of the water spitting it out trying to catch his breath.  He frowned at us for not joining him but we just smiled and jumped in ourselves."

"By the end of the day Jasine was dancing on the barrel as if he was a circus performer."   He went on in a silly voice joking with Jasine  "Master Jesse look at me. Do you want me to do a hand stand or dance a jig.  Standing there with a smile from ear to ear."   Perivar smiled at Jasine then laughed out loud as he recalled the rest of the story.  

"I was so mad at him.  He was so happy with himself, smiling like a kid who just stole a pie and there I was freezing in the water.  I had barely been able to get on the barrel let alone stand and I thought that I would never thaw out.  Then Visar finally stood, as he went to talk though he lost his balance.  He fell and smacked his head on the barrel so Master Jesse had to jump in to rescue him.  Jasine and I tried to get to him but we were too slow, probably because we were frozen to the bone.  Luckily he wasn't hurt bad."

"Well it took forever for me to get up on that barrel and even longer before I could stand on it.  I am not exactly built for such things."   He laughed again then took another pull from his mug.  He glanced at Kabria hoping that she was having a good time.  He felt awkward though he hoped it was apparent on his face.

Loraine smiled at the Inn's name as she and Kyn drew closer. She'd dressed to draw as little attention to herself as possible, the deep emerald silk gown was unadorned and rather simple compared to most of her wardrobe. The attention should be on the new Tower Guards, after all.

She looked down at the envelopes in her hand, hoping she'd done enough for her friends. She had very little to give them in the way of gifts, nothing she didn't think other people would've considered first, anyway. What she had was her account at the bank down the street, grown fat with innattention and her inheritance. She prayed they didn't take offense, and she didn't expect them to live off this line of funds. She knew them better than that. She was just making sure, if they were ever in a pinch, they would be safe. She'd done the same for her own children, though none of them would know that.

She sighed, straightening her shoulders a bit and reminding herself that she was there to celebrate this occassion, not mourn the loss of the innocent times they'd had before now. She smiled up at Kynwric and let him pull the door open, leading them into the room. Most of the others were already there. She held the envelopes close. She smiled up at Kyn, letting go of his arm and beginning to make her way around to each of her newest friends, passing them the envelope quietly and asking that they not open it until they were back in their rooms. She smiled at them, wondering how long they'd make it with the unknown envelope in their pocket. She'd written them each a note, telling them how much she appreciated them, how much she valued their friendship and her wishes that they grew old in the happiest way possible. From the look in Kabria's eyes, she had little doubt that Perivar would come rather close. She grinned and hugged her fellow Green with a wink, before accepting a glass of wine and listening to their stories.

Jasine snorted wine into his nose and then coughed and laughed it out onto a napkin.  When he regained his breath he laughed again and turned back to Perivar. "Light, man, I wasn't dancing on that barrel!  I never even got the whole ten seconds Master Jesse was asking for.  Although I figure I could do a fair jig on it now, if I tried.  And it wasn't winter.  I still haven't managed to do the Heron Wading in the Rushes on top of it like Master Jesse told us was our goal that first day.  I was pretty damn good at those barrels and that order still made my blood freeze as much as the cold water itself did!

"That was the same class where you lifted more than my own weight on that bar, if I remember right.  I still can't lift as much as you did on that very first day."  Jasine smiled fondly and risked taking another drink of the wine.  Hopefully, this one wouldn't wind up going up his nose backwards.  Not that there was a good way for wine and the inside of a nose to meet.

"Remember those mushrooms Arath poisoned us all with in the Borderlands?  I'd never felt so sick in my life, first day out in the wilderness and there was trying my best not to ruin my boots while sicking up."  He laughed and leaned back in his chair, remembering that whole trip.  "I still don't like mushrooms."

Kynwric pulled the door open for Loraine and smiled as she set off to deliver the envelopes, Kyn had something for each of them as well, but it would wait a bit. He approached the bar and gathered in a mug full of Stout and Lor's wine before reutrning to her side as she had just passed out the last of her envelopes. He smiled and listened to the stories the newest Tower Guards were telling of their training, he could recall stories about his trainee's days that were similar and was certain Thera could as well, it was one of the things that bound the Tower Guard and Warders together, a shared misery in learning. When Jasine mentioned the mushrooms he looked up. "He fed you blue-stalked mushrooms? Really?" Kyn just smiled broadly and shook his head. "WIsh I had seen that..."

Perivar had the note tucked away along with the envelope from Loraine Sedai.  She had asked them not to open it until they were in their rooms then offered them kind words on their accomplishments.  She had been such a huge part of their training that he hoped it did not end there.

Perivar laughed along with the others then listened as Jasine told the story of the mushrooms "Me too" he shouted jokingly glaring at Arath "Just the sight of them makes me want to sick up.  Yes Master Kynwric they were the blue-stalked ones.  You would have thought we would have figured out why Mistress Thera had discarded the ones in her dish."   He smiled at Mistress Thera  "I was so hungry that I just figured she didn't like the taste.  I never want to see another mushroom for as long as I live." 

Perivar occasionally glanced at Kabria, she seemed to be enjoying herself.  He hoped that she did not regret coming.  There was so much to say, so much to talk about but it would have to wait. 

Thera roared with laughter as the stories of training we passed around. Some she had heard and others were new.; but all equally amusing. She was glad that already they were able to look back on their trainee days with a smile. Too many men and women decided to hold quiet grudges against their teachers, instead of giving them the thanks they deserved.

Snuggling in close to Jasine she grinned at the smiling faces around the table. Being with them felt like being home. “ As I recall my love you did  sick up on your boots, and he stank for that whole week” Nudging him in the ribs Thera leaned over and gave him a kiss. After so long in the dark it felt good to be herself with him. “Though he was not half as bad as our little Melenis over there. She almost killed herself from hiding her sick. At least Jasine was kind enough to share his with us.” Winking at the girl Thera held her tongue. While it was funny now ,she was not sure how Melenis would feel at having her private moments exposed.

“I think my favorite moment was when Perivar tried to remove my head with his sword. All I’d said was a simple hello and out came the sword. I think He is not so quick to draw now days, but all the same watch yourself Kabria” Raising her arm for more drinks she turned to Kynwric and Loraine. “How about you two. Any favorite moments with our fantastic four here?”

Thera

Kabria sat quietly at the table, but she laughed along with all the jests. She could not picture even half the stories that were tossed about. She had met them all later in their training, so to her they had always seemed warriors. Returning Jasine’s hug she whispered in his ear. “It’s just Kabria, I am the same girl I always was, minus the wet dress of course”

Several mugs were downed as the stories continued; Kabria found herself with the desperate urge to contribute, but only Loraine would understand the horrors of novice days. And few people would find scrubbing pots as funny as poisoned mushrooms or dancing on a barrel.

Under the table Kabria reached over and placed her hand on Perivar’s knee. Just being with him after so long was a thrill.

Kabria

He laughed at Mistress Thera then responded "Wait, who had their sword out first?  Granted I reached for mine first yet you had yours in hand before I did.  Since I have never spoken of this to the others let me embarass myself even further."

"I was a 16 year old fool boy then, straight from the Borderlands.  The Tower Guard who sent me to her door filled my head with horrific tales about the Mistress of Trainees.  He went on so long that I thought I was going to meet the Dark One.  So there I stood at her door thinking about Shadowspwan when she comes up from behind me and places her hand on my shoulder scaring me half to death.  Her hand was blocking one of my hilts, since I wore two swords on my back at the time, so I was only able to draw one.  When I turned with sword in my hand I realized it was her.  Then I felt so foolish, I shouldn't have drawn on her yet she scared me half to death.  Regardless of her position she was a lady so it made it even worse.  So I asked her for a penance."

"I deserved it whether she thinks so now or not and my honor required that some punishment be met.  I shouldn't have drawn on her like that, it is the simple truth.  It matters not that she could have beaten me like a child.  In Arafel duels have been fought over less.  So the punishment she gave me was to clean the stalls in the stable and then I had to clean the privies.  Cleaning the stalls was not so bad but the privies were another matter.  When I was done I remember wishing that she had beaten me from here to the Aryth Ocean instead."

"Anyway I washed myself and changed my clothes before reporting back to her office yet I still smelled pretty bad. She caught one whiff of me threw me out of her office so fast you would have thought I was the dark one."  He laughed out loud as he remembered her throwing him out of her office.   "Well while I may be able to draw my blade much quicker now I certainly make sure that I know why I am drawing it before I do so."   

It all seemed so funny now, light that had been over two years ago and it felt like yesterday.  He nearly jumped when Kabria's hand touched his knee.  To have her touch him after so long sent a tingle through his body.  They had so much catching up to do yet the opportunity had not presented itself yet.  He still had to talk to her about the note.  He reached down and placed his hand on hers.  Her skin was like silk under his touch.  His mind raced like a galloping horse.

Loraine laughed, shaking her head. It felt good to see this, these people she'd come to love. Even Kabria seemed to meld into the group as if she'd been there forever.

“How about you two. Any favorite moments with our fantastic four here?” Loraine refilled her wine glass and smiled. "I have a few, though I think my favorite was the look on all their faces when an Aes Sedai, and a big, scary Green one, at that, showed up in their midsts unannounced. I'll be forever grateful for the ale and wine, or this lot would still be afraid to breathe around me." She paused and shot a wink at Kabria. "You'd have thought the Amrylin, herself, had deigned to sit in their little room and drink ale from their cups. I don't believe I have seen them shoot out of their chairs so quickly, even when a White Cloak hidden in a tavern had designs on my throat! Light only knows how they'd ever catch an Aes Sedai's eye that way!"

She grinned again, shaking her head. "Pray tell me you don't walk around the Tower stuttering 'Aes Sedai' to every skirt that passes by..."

Melenis grinned at the amusing stories that the others were bringing up, though she kept herself a bit on the background so far. The little she could tell them that they did not know already generally wasn't something to improve the mood with, and the things they did know about from her past weren't much better either.

Still when Kabria gave her the present she had bought, she carefully opened it, looking at the small diary. Though she had never kept a diary of her own, her grandfather certainly had, and it couldn't hurt to try making one of her own to write in. It would make remembering anekdotes all the more easy.

- "Thank you Kabria Sedai. I fear i have nothing to give you in return, but if you need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask."

She winced painfully when Thera mentioned her being sick, but the smile on her face helped put it into perspective. That... hadn't been one of her best moments back there. She was okay with Thera mentioning it though, there was still quite a gap between sick -- which anyone would have been able to see at the time -- and sickly.

Melenis

Doesn't really have funny stories ^^;

Kyn listened to the stories and smled. "Well, I had the pleasure of teaching all four of them Heron Wading in the Rushes, if I never seen a less graceful, more determined bunch of lads... well, let's just say they all need to learn how to dance. Mel however, she was not just determined but has a knack for balance. But I think what I'll remember most is Caemlyn where each of you did what had to be done and without hesitation." He locked eyes with Perivar, knowing that they still had unfinished business. He let his gaze slide though, and the smile broaden as this was to be a happy occasion.  He looked down at his mug and smirked and then raised it "To our newest brethren, may their lives me long and unexciting."

OOC: *has realized that he hasn't posted more than once on this thread* :P

IC: Arath laughed merrily with the other trainees, remembering funny moments had been a fun thing to do, and it made him feel more reunited with his friends. It had been a rather lonely couple months without them there with him. Arath shook his head, there was no reason to be glum, the past was past and now there was no problem! He laughed again when he heard the ridiculous tale of Perivar's first meeting with The Mistress of Trainees. He managed to supress his laughter into chuckles, glad that the conversation was moving on. He had had a moment of mortification when they started talking about the mushroom incident.

He did feel a little jelous, however, when he saw all of the romance in the air. Jasine and Thera were all over eachother, Kynwric and Loraine weren't bad, but even though they weren't all over eachother everyone knew of their relationship. Kabria and Perivar were... well they weren't doing anything physical. It reminded him painfully of Eqwina, who he longed to be with right now. Arath tried to shake off his gloominess- after all, it was supposed to be a time of merriment. Seeing that no one else was offering stories, Arath changed the subject slightly.

"Ah yes, those were the good old days; Thera was hard, but not too hard. We didn't really have any duties or responcibilities." Arath sighed, before smiling. "What was your fondest memory as a trainee?" Arath had his own fondest memory, but he didn't really feel like sharing his meeting with Eqwina Sedai. He didn't know whether it was because he didn't want them to know that he was devoted to her, or because he was just possessive of her and didn't even want any man to so much as speak her name.

"I think my fondest memory may be of the look on your face when I asked what the Mistress of Trainees might do if I flirted with her."  Jasine laughed, looking at Arath, and then continued.  "I had no idea what to expect of her, but I knew she was a woman, and I thought a little flirting might go a long ways to soothing the fire-breathing dragon of rumor.  Arath blanched like he'd seen a ghost at the very thought of it and told me I might not escape the room with my life if I did."  Here his gaze turned to Thera and his smile softened into something more tender, and then he rose to his feet.

"And with that note, I have an announcement to make to you all.  I have fallen, deeply and sinerely, in love with our Mistress Thera Trakelyn Gaidin.  Her strength and determination won my respect very early on, and her passion, care, and beauty won my heart.  She has shown compassion and regard to us as trainees when she didn't have to, and much more than even all that, she has befriended us."  He gently set his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it lightly.  "I've carried a torch for from that very first day,"  he could not admit, even now, that the love had not been unrequited, "but it was on that trip to Caemlyn that I realized just how important she was to me.  Important enough that I felt I needed to take this step to feel complete.

"This is something I've done a lot of hard thinking about, and while I know it will complicate my chances at becoming a warder some day, I have asked her to wed me and she has accepted.  What happens when, and if, I take oaths to an Aes Sedai, it will be an issue to address.  But love and happiness are fleeting in this world and in this profession, and I would do nothing to  I'd like each of you to be there with us when we wed." His eyes touched on Kabria a moment and he nodded, yes, you too, he wouldn't leave out the only other Aes Sedai he actually knew, and one of his very few friends.  "The wedding will be in the spring, although we haven't set the specific day yet.  I wanted you gathered here to be among the very first to know."

He sat back down and took Thera's hand in both of his, smiling warmly to her.

Melenis listened to the stories, nodding in amusement at the ones she had been present for. Remaining quiet did not mean she was feeling out of place however, the mutual friendship of those present here went beyond that. She never saw herself as the type for talking anyway, with the exception of discussing something she was more the type for actions rather than words. And besides, it--

"...I have asked her to wed me and she has accepted."

Melenis slammed the mug back on the table, forcing herself to swallow the mead before it could force its way out of her nose. With tears in her eyes, she looked at Jasine, then Thera, yet both appeared to be playing their parts as a couple. Still coughing, she tried to get a couple of words out, but whatever it was she wanted to say was lost due to being hoarse from aspiration.

Melenis

Must... breathe...

Perivar smiled as Loraine Sedai recalled the first night they met her.  When she entered the room their jaws dropped from the surprise visit.  Chairs flew back as they bowed to her as if she were the light made flesh.  Over the years they had grown a little more accustomed to Aes Sedai.  His head went down when she mentioned the tavern.  His face was stained with crimson and his face twisted from the thoughts.  He tried to make as if he was studying the contents of his mug.  The memory of that night cut him deep though he smoothed his face looking up as he listened to the stories.

Perivar laughed when Master Kynwric spoke of their graceless attempts when he tried to teach them Heron Wading in the Rushes and his recommendation that they needed to learn to dance.  Thinking back their initial attempts had been pathetic though it had been that way with most of their training.  They each had some fond memories of their time as trainees.

Master Kynwric's gaze ran over the group as he spoke about Caemlyn praising their performance though when it came to Perivar it lingered a moment speaking of the unfinished business between them.  He nodded to his mentor taking ownership of the punishment he was due.  Perivar saw that Kabria had taken notice to the exchange between him and Master Kynwric.  He met eyes with her momentarily before looking away.  Maybe he could not speak to her about it as he intended to do.  He could not stand to the see the disappointent on her face when he did.  Would she still want him as her Warder.  He could not even think of being bound to another.

Arath asked about their fondest memories as trainees and Jasine was the first to speak.  He spoke about a conversation he had had with Arath about Mistress Thera.  Perivar stood to excuse himself yet Jasine broke in with his announcement.  Perivar congratulated both of them,shaking Jasine's hand and giving Mistress Thera a hug.  He excused himself remarking that he needed some fresh air. 

Perivar walked out of the tavern, the cool night air caressing his face with a sobering effect.  He stared up at the moon and cursed it.  His sun was inside yet he couldn't look upon her.  She had seen the looks, it would be plain to her that something was there.  How could he explain that night to her, what would she think of him.  He had almost thrown their entire plan away in the blink of an eye in a momentary lapse in judgement.  That night haunted him, it was ingrained in his memory like it was just yesterday.     

“Aww…my Jasine is a wonderful dancer!” Thera smiled and winked at Kynwric. “At least with practice he will learn no to step on toes”

Raising her mug high she drank to the memories of the past and all the new yet to be made. Calling for another round she smiled at everyone around the table. “I hope none of you has an early day tomorrow” She had made sure that the new Guards had no assignments, but Kabria and Loraine were on their own; she had no influence there. “ I do not intend to let even one of you leave until you are juicer than Tinkers on Sunday”   Few moments could bond a group more than embarrassing words spoken over ale and wine and Thera had her mind set to tie this group as tight as the Tower would allow.

Slowly and casually turning the ring on her finger Thera laughed as she pictured Arath’s face. “I really did breathe fire and eat children back then; I apologize to all who incurred my wrath, except you” Nudging Jasine with her hip Thera barked another laugh. As Jasine pulled from her grip she sighed, but leaned back on her palm so she could look up at his face. What as he up to?

Shock painted every face, Thera’s included, and she chocked a little on her wine. She shook her golden curls and tried to fathom why he had chosen now to announce their wedding. It was no great shock to Loraine and Kynwric, but then that was a secret closely guarded. Regaining some of her composure as his hands fit back into her own she nervously smiled at those around her.

“Yes…I hope that all of you will accept our invitation. Our day will not be complete without all of you” Holding her breath Thera waited, unsure of what would come or how they would react.

Kabria’s smile slipped momentarily as she looked at Jasine. She did not know why she would feel jealous at his affections for Mistress Thera, because she too had found someone she loved, and yet still it stung. Plastering a smile on her face she crossed around the table to hug Mistress Thera. “I wish you all the happiness on your day and I would not miss it for the world. Your Jasine saved me from fatal embarrassment and for that I will always be his friend.” Meeting Jasine’s eye she gave him a warm smile and found that even through the momentary jealousy she was happy for him.

Giving Jasine a much less enthusiastic hug Kabria kissed him lightly on each cheek. “May the Light bring you both everything that you desire.”

Taking a step back she met eyes with Arath, Melenis and her fellow Green. Each seemed to be taking the news in their own way, only Melenis seemed to be having any real trouble. Embracing Saidar Kabria wove several small flows of air to pat the girls back and calm her coughing fit. When the fit subsided Kabria smiled at Melenis and winked.

Using the distraction of laughter Kabria gathered two mugs of ale and headed out the front door, and after Perivar. Blinking as her eyes adjusted to the dim light she walked to the edge of the porch and set the mugs on the stairs. Without a word she walked over and stood beside Perivar taking his hand. “What troubles you my sweet, I thought tonight you would be happy.” Shivering a little in the cool night air, Kabria tried to resume the concentration needed to keep away the cold, but with the ale clouding her mind it always slipped away. Content to just to shiver she waited. He would speak when he was ready.

Loraine smiled and hugged both Jasine and Thera, glad she wouldn't have to keep that secret from EVERYONE, now. She truly didn't run into too many others who'd have issue with it, so keeping their secret would be less of a worry, now. She refilled her cup, pausing to count how many cups it had been. Two? Three? She laughed and took a drink. She'd cleared her schedule for tomorrow and had even arranged for Kabria to be taking classes from her tomorrow so she'd be free, too. If anyone asked, she'd just call it wilderness survival for Aes Sedai. She smiled into her cup, watching the exchanges between the people around her a moment.

"Dance?" She asked, finally turning back to Kynwric. "Wait a moment, you think THEY need to learn how to dance?" She arched her eyebrow and smirked, an expression she'd picked up from him a long time ago. "Is this not a shining example of the pot calling the cauldron black?"

The light spilled onto the porch as the door opened then left just as quickly as the door closed.  “What troubles you my sweet, I thought tonight you would be happy.”  Kabria said as she handed him a mug then stood in silence taking his hand in hers.  She knows something is up you fool, she is giving you the opening to get it off your chest he thought furiously to himself.  Perivar couldn't bring himself to look at her so he spoke into the night air as if he was addressing the moon.

"I should be happy, I would love more than anything to be happy but I cannot pretend to be what I am not.  I would love to speak to you about the note though there is something we must discuss first.  If you still wish to be with me when I am done then so be it but you must hear me out first."   Perivar took a long pull from the mug trying to build the courage to continue.

"One night we found ourselves at an inn in Caemlyn, the Badger and Lioness.  Loraine Sedai discoverd that one of the serving girls had the ability to channel.  To make matters worse there was a Whitecloak watching the inn from across the street..."  Perivar unraveled the entire tale.  He told her how the girl and Loraine Sedai had been left in their care.  Told her about the whitecloak attacking Loraine Sedai, the three who barred his path.  Anluan's actions which saved him from the Whitecloak's dagger.  His inability to reach Loraine Sedai in time.  He let her inside his head describing every emotion that he felt.  Anger, rage, shame, hurt, he told her all.  How he egged on the other man electing himself as the man's judge, jury, and executioner.  He told her how he purposely refused to form the void letting the emotions tear him to pieces.  It all spilled out of him.

"I thought it would erase the shame I felt.  I thought somehow that it would make all the emotions go away.  I failed to protect her and because of it I killed a man to erase my shame.  I simply snapped, I let my emotions control my actions and I was wrong to do it.  When it was done I knelt there over his lifeless body shaking from the emotions that threatened to destroy me.  I wanted to hack his body to pieces to though I realized it would not change anything.  I failed in my duty to protect Loraine Sedai, when she needed us most I was not there.  In my effort to erase the shame I felt I ended up I failing my friends as well.  I could have put our mission at risk.  By needlessly putting my self at risk and not using all the weapons at my disposal I failed you as well.  I understand now the error of my ways yet whats done is done and I have to answer for it."  For a moment he just stared at the moon not daring to meet her eyes.

"No doubt he deserved to die for what he had done as well as for what he intended but what I did was nothing short of murder.  I was a fool, I couldn't deal with my emotions though I had the answer well within my grasp.  All I had to do was assume the void as I am trained to do yet I couldn't.  I simply didn't want to push the emotions aside, I let them fuel me like I had done before I came to the Tower to train.  Whether challenging the man was right or wrong I should have done as I was trained to do but I didn't.  I refused to do it, I wanted to feel the emotions that were overwhelming me.  I wanted to feel the shame, the anger, the rage, and the hurt I felt in my heart from being away from you.  I did not come to the Tower looking for love but I found it and in the blink of an eye it was gone.  The one thing that could have shielded me from it all was the thing that I refused."  Perivar could not bring himself to look at her.  Was she looking at him like he was a monster or could she possibly understand what he had been through.  Could she forgive him, could she ever trust him to do his duty as he was sworn to do.

His voice hardened "I swore to you that I would return but I did not do everything in my power to make it so.  I let my emotions get the best of me.  Within the void I most likely would not have ended up with a dagger in my thigh or half a dozen cuts on my body.  That injury in my thigh could have given him a serious advantage had my slash not landed true, it could have meant me not returning home to you.  I let everyone down."  He looked down feeling as though his arm and leg were wet.  In his anger with himself he partially crushed the mug spilling its contents on himself and the porch.

His voice softened as he continued "Now I must pay for my transgressions.  I must first prove to the Tower that I am fit.  Then I must prove the same to you though honestly I do not know if I am worthy of your love let alone your bond.  If I were a stronger man I would leave here and save you the choice though I can't bring myself to do it.  I cannot simply walk away from my oathes to you.  I can't walk away from my love for you.  I can't!" Finally he turned to face her.  The pain of retelling the story was plain on his face.  The look of disappointment in himself.

"I have been out of my mind since I left you.  I tried to focus on my duty to ease the pain but it did not help.  Then I return and could not get word to you or learn anything of you.  I cannot tell you how sick I have been over the thought of losing you.  All the letters that went unanswered and then you suddenly appear at the ceremony as if out of a dream.  Suddenly I have you again yet in the blink of an eye I could lose you and it is tearing me apart, it is all my fault."

He took a deep breath steeling himself for what was to come.  "It is your choice to decide if you will still have me though there is a condition.  I cannot become a Warder until it is decided that I am fit in the eyes of the Tower.  That decision lies in Master Kynwric's hands.  That is what has been decided.  Never in my life have I failed to do my duty yet on that night I failed.  It has caused me more pain than I can describe though it pales in comparison to the hurt I feel at the thought of losing you.  If I could go back and change that night I would but I can't.  I will do whatever you ask of me to prove myself worthy of your love and your bond.  I will ride to Shayol Ghul and smite the Dark One if necessary.  Whatever you require of me, just name it and it will be done, anything at all.  I..."   His words became stronger more passionate as he spoke.  He didn't know what else to say, he was emotionally spent.  He turned to stare into the night darkened sky not able to meet her eyes, afraid of what she might say.  His voice became soft again  "I...I am sorry that I let you down..."