DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Time to sweat (Attn: Kabria)

Sieve

Perivar walked around the clearing, the area of the training grounds where the ground had been beaten bare.  Surrounding the clearing were racks filled with every manner of practice weapons.  Once again he was early because the anticipation of seeing his love was too great to tamp down.  Perivar had done his own laps and flowed through the forms as he did every day.  The life of a Tower Guard left more than enough time for training.  You were required to maintain your level of fitness and proficiency with the weapons you carried on duty.  In most cases your were expected to not only maintain but improve.  As would be expected Perivar was focused on the latter since it was his ambition to become a Warder, not any Warder but her Warder.

Perivar walked around the perimeter of the beaten ground with the near deadly grace one would expect for a man who was almost a Warder.  He stopped picking up a weapon here and there, flowing through a few of the forms as if the weapon were an extension of his body.  In all actually it was, with the Ko'di, the oneness the weapon and the person who held it were one.  With his vision and perception enhanced Perivar had noticed his love hiding behind a tree watching him as she loved to do.  Watching him when she thought he did not know that she was there.  Even without the Ko'di or any training there was no missing her, she was so beautiful that it would have been easy to pick her out in a crowd of thousands.

Perivar flowed through some basic forms as she approached thinking she was sneaking up on him.  Parting the Silk into Courtier Taps his Fan, form to form the practice blade flowed a complete blur it would seem to someone who was less practiced than he.  As she approached him from behind he assumed Heron Wading in the Rushes poised in perfect balance as he felt her approach.  Timing it perfectly he pivoted forcing a look of shock on his face that matched hers as the bundled lathe practice sword neared her head.  He quickly stopped the motion of the blade dropping to one knee grounding the point of the lathe of the ground as he bowed formally to her.  It was very similar to the first day they met except now they were in love and she would most likely would not threaten to cut off one of his belled braids. 

"Good morning Kabria Sedai" he said formally biting the inside of his lip to fight back the smile that wanted to form "My love" he added for her ears only.  One day he would tell her but for now it was too much fun.  Holding the pose he said "Maybe in our training I should have covered the fact that you should not sneak up on someone with a weapon in their hand unless you mean to disarm or harm them...or kiss them."  With that he looked up at her with a mischievous smile.  He waited on his knee waiting until she decided to tell him he could rise, there were protocols to follow in public even if they were in love.  "My dearest Kabria you look lovely as ever, somehow you make breeches and a shirt look majestic.  As always I am captivated by your beauty."  Light he thought the cut of her dress had been revealing yet seeing her in the tight fitting breeches made him want to burst.  "If you don't allow me to rise we will not be able to begin our training.  We have a long day ahead of us and I want to cherish every moment."  He patiently waiting on bended knee for her to speak.  "Do not be angry with me my love.  I know you said you will not have me beending knee to you yet we are in public and we would both be called down for it if protocols were not followed.  I will not jeopardize the precious moments that we have together.  Now my beautiful Aes Sedai, the sun in my sky, may I please have permission to rise."  The fact that he was not yet her Warder stung though the promise of the future fueled him to persevere.  That one condition still hung over them like a black cloud.  One day my love, one day soon!

Given how poorly her concentration had been during her lesson she was more than a little apprehensive about today. After a short discussion with Loraine where she had asked penance for her behavior Kabria had decided that today would go better. Oh there might be kisses if time and privacy allowed, but she would not allow herself to be swept away. After all she was a woman grown and Aes Sedai.

Knowing that today would involve fitness and most likely running Kabria had chosen to have pants and shirt sewn. The pants were tighter than she was used to, but of a fabric that was stretchy and could breathe. For her shirt she had copied one she had seen on Mistress Thera. It would keep all but her hips properly covered and allowed more freedom of movement than a bodice. Finding knee high boots to be her favorite choice of shoe she laced them up her legs and headed out into the yards. Without her shawl to name her Aes Sedai or a dress to name her a woman of the Tower a few men stopped to openly gape and yell approving comments. A time not too long past Kabria would have given them all the rough side of her tongue, but instead she smiled and placed both hands on her hips; the golden serpent ring glittering on her finger. “Back to work boys” As they all bowed themselves away she laughed. It felt good to be able to speak to men without the knot of fear.

As always she stopped just back in the trees to watch her beloved. Leaning back she laid her head against the trunk and smiled. Everything about Perivar, even his faults only made him more charming, and while it was his mind that had first attracted her it was his physique that made her quiver. She could have spent all day just watching him move, but duty tugged her at. Walking out into the clearing she smiled and swayed her hips just a touch more than the boots called for. With how deep her desire for him ran she wanted to make sure he felt it just as keenly.

A mix of outrage and shock painted her face as he ground his practice blade at her feet. Had she not been so distracted by his form she would have noticed that she’d been seen. “For startling me like that I just may make you stay on your knees all day” 

For several minutes while people filed by and stared Kabria stood with her arms crossed staring down at Perivar. All the while she was undressing him with her mind, but to anyone else she was just an angry woman. “For the sake of actually getting my training completed I will allow you to rise, but just know that I will remember this and add it to your list of punishments” Winking she took a few steps back to allow him room to stand. “Now let’s see if you have anything to teach me my love. I am in great shape and was one of the best hand to hand fighters on the ships I think I already am as fit as I can be” Grabbing his hands she pressed them against her flat stomach.

She had not spent much time working out since coming to the Tower, but she was still as thin as she had always been. Not that much could have changed.

For a moment he had thought he had gone too far.  She told him how she considered making him stay on his knees all day.  Perhaps she was going to remove one of his braids after all.  By her stance and her stare he thought that she just might.  There were benefits to kneeling in front of her, he would have the opportunity to look into her eyes and explore her body with his eyes.  Kneeling there in front of her actually seemed more like a priviledge.

She told him to rise winking as she stepped back giving him room to stand. “Now let’s see if you have anything to teach me my love. I am in great shape and was one of the best hand to hand fighters on the ships I think I already am as fit as I can be” He let the practice sword fall as she grabbed his hands pressing them against her flat stomach.  He had held her close and new she was tone but he had not know how much.  He could feel the ripple of her muscles under the shirt.  Perhaps she may be more fit than she thought.  He simply smiled at her, a smile that said he would like to explore the rest of her body to see what other wonders it held.

"Well since you are so sure of your fitness my dear then let us start with a run.  If you are as fit as you say you are then this shouldn't take long.  You may fare well inn the run, and you may be good with your hands..." He arched an eyebrow, he would love to see how good she was with her hands in more ways than one.  "but can you hold one of your weapons in an outstretched hand for a quarter of an hour.  These are things you will have to do my dear.  When your weapon is your last resort you must have the endurance to wield it.  No matter what shape you think you are in it takes strength training to build up your endurance."

He pointed to the beaten path surrounding the training grounds.  "The track is right there my love, now get running and don't stop 'til I tell you to."  She eyed him as if he was on the border of crossing the line.  "If you don't start now I may decide to paddle your bottom."  He raised his hand jokingly as she shook her bottom at him.  He laughed out loud as she started running.  If he hadn't sent her away that very moment he was not sure that he could have managed to keep his hands off her.  By the pace she was setting he thought she might be in as good of shape as she said though being toned and agile had nothing to do with endurance. 

Perivar let a little distance separate them then ran after her.  You couldn't expect someone to do something that you could not do yourself.  He always trained in his armor to build his endurance and keep accustomed to it.  He had done so for over two years since he arrived at the training grounds.  Perhaps she would be able to keep pace with him.  If not he would let her so they would have an opportunity to talk with one another.

As she pressed his hands to her stomach she flexed what muscles she still had; pressing hard against his hand. All too soon se felt the strain and backed away. After all it would not look good for a Tower Guard to be seen groping an Aes Sedai.

Smiling back at him she tried to appear casual at his suggestion of a run. Even as a small child Kabria had walked, never seeing the point to a faster pace. Then on the decks of the ship where moments counted she had learned to hustle, but never run. "The track is right there my love, now get running and don't stop 'til I tell you to."   Kabria eyed him and arched her brow. More concerned with the prospect of failing, than of the imposed run.  "If you don't start now I may decide to paddle your bottom."

There was no point to putting it off, with a sassy shake of her butt she began to run, her long legs eating ground at a pace she’d never thought to manage. In her head she tried to count her steps, anything to distract from the muscles she so keenly felt. She focused herself on perfect form, just because she had never run did not mean she had never read a book on training. Breath in through you nose and out through your mouth, in through your nose and out through your mouth. The books had varied on the method of breathing, but all had been clear that a steady rate was necessary. With her elbow bent and her arms tucked into her sides she pumped in time with her footfalls. Each movement was a precise, deliberate action. So focused on her form and breathing was Kabria that she did not even notice Perivar’s presence until her third time around the track.

By then a thin sheen of perspiration dotted her forehead and made her shirt cling to her back. The muscles in her arms ached and she could feel every muscle in her legs. The controlled breathing was still coming easy, but she could sense that being the next thing to go.

“Do you enjoy running like this?” She spat at him.

“I myself never saw the desire to run and who would dare chase me with you to bar their path” That last she said with a smile, hoping to negate any pain caused by her quick words.

Perivar only shook his head and picked up the pace. Growling softly and laughing just after Kabria too lengthened her stride to keep up.

“Can we talk why we run? Or is that not allowed?” Again he only grinned and Kabria broke her rhythm enough to reach out and swat his arm. “You mentioned holding my weapon for an hour. Does that mean I will be allowed to touch them today?”

Ten more laps around and Kabria’s thighs burned like fire and her stomach felt about to cramp. The steady breaths she had been so proud of no long came, it was all labored pants. The idea of talking now seemed like a waste a breath and she focused on putting one foot in front of the other. She had to slow down from the pace she’d first set and when she did Perivar fell back with her, not even appearing out of breath. How irritating! She felt reason to collapse and her legs now quivered like jelly, but the idea of appearing less in his eyes was too much to bare. So on she ran, stumbling and bit before continuing on.

Perivar eyed Kabria's form as he ran alongside her.  He loved looking at her, loved watching her every movement.  “Do you enjoy running like this?” She spat at him.  For a moment he thought he had done something wrong, perhaps he had been staring too hard at her though he held his tongue while she continued talking.  He could tell that the effort of talking while running was not something she was accustomed to.

"Yes we can talk my love, why do you think I am running alongside you and yes you may hold your weapons today though you may not like doing so by the end of the day."

"Enjoy this, no not normally though I could run all day at this pace if it meant being by your side.  Someone chase you?  The thought never occurred to me?"  He was worried she would take it the wrong way.  "What I mean is I would never picture you as the prey.  Would a deer chase a Lioness?  No my love, I am worried about you chasing down your prey and having the edurance to take the fight to them.  It is much like a horse my dear, what good is a horse to a lancer if the horse arrives at the battle exhausted.  So it is one thing to know weapons my dear but you must have the strength and endurance to wield them when it matters."

Ten more laps around and she was beginning to fade, her pace was slowing, her breathing was ragged, and he had noticed her stumble.  It was time to stop, she had the heart of a lioness and would not quit on her own.  It would do her no good to be completely exhausted. 

"You can stop now my love not abruptly mind, slow to a walk."  He stayed by her side as she slowed to a walk then looked as if she might stop.  "No my dear walk with me.  You will cramp up if you do not walk a while to cool down.  We will walk a few more laps and talk as soon as I come back, keep walking while I get the waterskins."  Perivar ran to the tree where the waterskins were laying in the shade.  Scooping them up he hurried back to her handing her one of the waterskins.  "Do not drink too much or it will end up like a rock in your stomach.  If you still feel parched then drink a little and spit the rest out."  He watched as she drank from the skin making sure she followed his directions.  He allowed her some time to regulate her breathing.     

"Now you did very well my love, I am truly impressed for one who doesn't run often if at all.  Though I have to ask you, as you are right now do you honestly believe you would be in any shape to fight someone?  A Trolloc or a Myrddraal?  No need to feel ashamed about it, I was not in the shape I am now when I first came to the yards, it takes time to build your endurance.  You are here for a reason and I will not go easy on you or sugarcoat it for you.  I love you more than words can express and I am going to make sure that you are ready.  Your life may depend on it one day and you will be ready."  He stared at her making sure that she understood that he was serious.  She had to be prepared, they both depended on it.

"Another lap and we can grab some fruit from the kitchens.  Another important consideration is to keep yourself fueled.  Fruit is great for keeping your body going during exercise though like the water it needs to be in moderation.  As we walk why don't you tell me a story or tell me about your lessons when you were a Novice or Accepted.  If that doesn't suit you then tell me about something else that interests you."  He had a duel purpose one was to keep her talking while she walked which would help to further regulate her breathing.  The other reasons were selfish.  He loved to hear her talk, her musical voice was very soothing to him plus he wanted to learn more about her.

The air in her lungs was like fire and Kabria stumbled again, this time barely catching herself before her face hit the dirt.

"You can stop now my love not abruptly mind, slow to a walk."

It was like hearing the voice of the creator. Kabria’s knees buckled and she tried to sit where she had stopped. "No my dear walk with me.  You will cramp up if you do not walk a while to cool down.  We will walk a few more laps and talk as soon as I come back, keep walking while I get the waterskins.”

“Walk!.... I… can’t… even…. breathe!” Stumbling forward at a lurch Kabria gasped for air and tried to massage the cramps from the thighs. She did not think they have ever hurt so much. Opening the water skin Kabria filled her mouth twice and then poured the remaining contents on her head. It was not even hot in Tar Valon this time of year, but she felt as if she were roasting. "Another lap and we can grab some fruit from the kitchens.  Another important consideration is to keep yourself fueled.  Fruit is great for keeping your body going during exercise though like the water it needs to be in moderation.  As we walk why don't you tell me a story or tell me about your lessons when you were a Novice or Accepted.  If that doesn't suit you then tell me about something else that interests you." 

From the corner of her eye Kabria glared at Perivar; it would have taken too much effort to turn her head. “ You..really think..I want to..talk?” It was hard to think about love or loving him when she felt as if she had been pulled backwards through keyhole. It was not his fault that she was such an out of shape mess, but still it was easier to blame him than herself. “Fine I will talk, but there is nothing interesting in my Novice years and you know all the good days from my time as Accepted.”   Pausing for a moment Kabria put her hands on her waist and tried to straighten her back. Sharp pains danced through her stomach muscles, but she ignored them and walked on. “ What was growing up in the Borderlands like? Were you really in constant danger of death? From everything I have read it is a perilous land, but I cannot not imagine a place so…grim. Is Kandor the same?” She wanted to hold out hope that somehow her own ancestry was not in a place untouched by the Light. If the land was as wracked with danger as it seemed it was even less likely that any of her family would be alive.

"Arafel..it also is not so bad?" She wanted to think that someday soon she would travel to meet his family.Perhaps his mother would like her. "Tell me something of our homes that I cannot learn in books"

"You see my point then?  In battle you must be able to communicate, how are you going to be able to do that if you can't talk now."  Perivar was not happy with her diverting the topic of the conversation to him.  He wanted to know all about her yet she refused to open up to him.  Perhaps she was too tired to speak but he intended to learn something about her today.

"The intention was to have you speak while you walk to regulate your breathing though you are being difficult today, perhaps..."   He smiled at her deciding to go down a different road. "Another reason is that I wanted to learn more about you, I know so little about you and I would like to know more.  Is it such a bad thing that I would like to know more about the one I love?"  There must be something she enjoys outside of service to the White Tower, something she would talk about, anything, if only she would open up to him.

Perivar pondered the questions about the Borderlands.  "I will answer your questions provided that when I am finished you will answer one of mine" He waited for her to agree before continuing.  "The borderlands, well it may be as you say, perilous and grim though it is what it is.  It is what we know and are used to.  Arafel is rugged country more so than Shienar.  Kandor is much the same as Arafel.  Most of the Borderlands are the same it is just the people and customs that are different."   He suddenly felt silly about saying we, being away for over two years made him feel distanced.  He was no longer a part of it, it was not his fight, not now but it had been. 

"Growing up you were taught to be prepared at all times, weapons were always at the ready.  Every day held the possibility that Shadowspawn would come pouring out of the Blight to raid a village.  You simply had to be ready at all times.  Fists of Trollocs led by Myrddraal could come pouring out of the Blight to attack this village or that.  The entire length of the Borderlands are lined with signal beacons so word can be spread as soon as the Shadowspawn are spotted.  All of the buildings are built with arrow slits, murder holes , and stout doors with large beams to bar them.  Each building can be defended and used as a refuge, everyone fights when necessary except for the the young children or invalids.  It is not like here, buildings there are simply more crude and practical."

"The villages are not as you would see south of the border.  They are actually fortresses, built on the highest ground possible.  The only thing outside the fortress would be the farms.  Any vegetation taller than a blade grass is cut down around the village so that 100 paces in any direction is clearly visible.  With enough warning and if the odds are not overwhelming these forts can be quite formidable."

"In spite of it all we had fun as children, we had grown up with it so it was commonplace to us.  We were too young to realize that it wasn't like this everywhere.  I remember a saying that is common in Arafel."  "The dancing is sweeter on the edge of a sword."  "I guess that about says it all, was that in any of your books?"

"Shadowspawn usually look for easy targets unless there is another purpose to their raid.  It was not often that they attack the well defended cities. Trollocs are cowards and the city walls are too easy to defend.  Do not get me wrong they can be fiercesome warriors, Half human and half beast half again as tall as I am and twice as wide.  Regardless of their benefits in terms of size and strength, they are lazy and have to be driven by Myrddraal. If they spot an easy kill they will take it and often they kill simply because they enjoy it.  That and they eat what they kill so sometimes that motivates them as much as a Myrddraal.  Myrddraal are agile and quick like vipers, they are more than a match for an experienced swordsman though once they are killed the link with the Trollocs they were leading are severed.  The Trollocs will either die immediately from the link being cut or they will fall to the ground unable to control their limbs making them easy to dispatch.  All the Borderlands are much the same, it is only the landscape that changes.  Unfortunately there are worse things than Trollocs and Myrddraal but we will talk of that later."  He held his hand up a moment.  He ran into the mess hall grabbed two red shiny apples then returned to her.  He handed her an apple then resumed their conversation.

"Enough of that talk for now, how about something happier.  Now that I answered your question, answer one of mine.  Is there anything aside from service to the White Tower that you enjoy?  You mentioned reading, do you read alot?  Perhaps you could tell me something that I don't know?  I was taught some of the customs outside of the Borderlands, I tried to learn everything that they would teach me here yet I want to learn more.  Tell me something, anything at all."  He took a bite of the apple, the juices running down the side of his mouth.  Perivar wiped it with his sleeve as he waited on Kabria's response.

"You see my point then?  In battle you must be able to communicate, how are you going to be able to do that if you can't talk now."

Kabria embraced the source and wove a small thread of air that she used to flick his ear. “I will be able to communicate just fine you big oaf!” In her exhaustion even holding on to Saidar was difficult. Plus the heightened awareness of her aching muscles and her quivering knees was almost too much to bear. With a sigh she released the One Power and the world grew dull.

“Is it a bad thing that you want to know more about me? No. It is that fact that you choose this moment to want to learn.” Flexing and releasing her toes as she walked she tried to focus on his words. Not the pain that was threatening to cripple her. With excruciating slowness the burn began to fade and her breath came at a more normal rate.

“All of the buildings are built with arrow slits, murder holes , and stout doors with large beams to bar them.  Each building can be defended and used as a refuge, everyone fights when necessary except for the the young children or invalids.  It is not like here, buildings there are simply more crude and practical."

He seemed so complacent Kabria marveled, but then, why shouldn’t he be. Life in Tar Valon had to seem like the most elegant ball compared to home. The more he spoke of Trolloc’s the quicker her hope faded over finding any member of her family alive. They are probably all in the bells of Trolloc’s Kabria’s stomach lurched and for a moment the world spun. Light send it was anything but that!!

“My books said nothing of that” she whispered still trying to regain control of her head. Could she really take him back their to dance with death? Kabria had read enough books to know the horrors of which he refused to speak. It was enough to make her sick over again.

The apple! The shiny red fruit was a great distraction from the scene’s of destruction that were running through her mind. 

"Enough of that talk for now, how about something happier.  Now that I answered your question, answer one of mine.  Is there anything aside from service to the White Tower that you enjoy?  You mentioned reading, do you read alot?  Perhaps you could tell me something that I don't know?  I was taught some of the customs outside of the Borderlands, I tried to learn everything that they would teach me here yet I want to learn more.  Tell me something, anything at all."

As glad for the distraction as he, she latched on to the first thing that came to mind. “I want to dance. I’ve read every book there is on the subject and watched the women whirled about the floor. Back when I was working in a tavern I used to sneak from the kitchens just to watch the way the moved. It seems so close to flying the way they glide across the floor. I have always wanted to try. Is that silly?” Looking down at the apple she was surprised to see that she’d finished it all.

“I suppose now I may never get the chance. Aes Sedai do not go whirling about taverns like silly girls. There are for more important works for us to do.”

She wondered if he thought her a complete dolt, having such a silly dream when the world was filled with strife.

“You asked about books. I had such a collection of books, back in Illian, to make the Browns drool. Since coming here my collection has tempered to something more manageable. Though there is a bookstore very near where we met, that I would like to own someday. I intend to make the shopkeeper very rich by buying every book he can lay his hands on.”

Smiling Kabria reached into her belt pouch and pulled out a book, smaller than her palm. “This on here contains poems and words of wisdom. I always keep it close in hand for inspiration.” Since the day she’d found the treasure it had never been out of her sight, but she found it so easy to press it into his hands.

“Take it. I want you to have it. Think of me when you read from it and when you miss me. You’ll see some notes in the back. Those are my own thoughts and wise words, what few I have to give.”

Somehow during her talk she’d forgotten all about her hurts. She almost felt as if she could run again…almost.

“If you wish me to tell you something you don’t know, you will first have to tell me all that you do. I can say that I have read all about the courts and laws of every land, the dangers and perils of the blight, the latest fashions from Arad Doman and about life in the waste. I know about the Sea Folk and the Ayymad, the First of Mayene and Oiger Stedding. Great stories of Brigitte and Gadial Cain, Rogosh Eagle-Eye and even Jain Farstrider. Ask what you wish and I’ll answer if I can. All of my knowledge is yours.”

Staring at his smiling face made Kabria heart sink. Any man that she bonded would always be thrust into harms way and she was no longer sure that she put knowingly put Perivar there. Thoughts for another time

“If there is nothing you want to ask..I am feeling up to another lesson. Provided I do not have to run.”

He felt something flick his ear.  He looked all around him but could not determine the cause until her words sank in. “I will be able to communicate just fine you big oaf!”  He stared at her, she had used the one power on him.  He had never had the one power used on him before, well just once before but that was just a tingle through his body.  He knew very little about the power but this was not the time to ask.  Perivar listened as Kabria spoke while they walked back to the training grounds.  He noticed that the apple he had given her did not last long. 

When Kabria gave him the little book he had tried to refuse but she would not listen.  He tried to tell her he could not take her precious book yet she overruled his protests.

"Think of me when you read from it and when you miss me."  "In that case then I will never be able to put it away for I think of you all the time and I miss you the moment we are apart."  As if it were the most fragile thing, he carefully placed it in his belt pouch.

As they reached the beaten area of the training grounds he picked up two buckets that he had prepared for her.  The wooden buckets with rope handles were filled with sand.  There were two sets though he gave her the smaller pair, the larger ones were for him.  "Since you are so eager then take these.  We will talk as we train.  Pick them up and let them hang at your side."   Perivar picked up the larger buckets then did the same.  "Now with your arms extended, lift the buckets forward until your arm and body form a right angle."  Perivar demonstrated it for her.

"Do this ten times, on the tenth one hold the bucket straight out in front of you for a count of ten. Begin!"  Perivar watched as she did the exercise in time with him.  It was good to show the person you were training that you could do what you were asking them to do.  "Good let them hang at your side but don't put them down.  We have four more sets to do."  Ooh light by the look she gave him she was definately going to hate him when they finished.

"Begin!" He watched to make sure she was doing it right. "So you want to dance?  Of course it isn't silly.  Perhaps there will be an opportunity to do so.  Perhaps you do not realize it yet though you already glide my love.  Every step you take, perfect Aes Sedai serenity."  He beamed a smile at her that he was not sure if she appreciated while she was lifting buckets of sand.  "I do not profess to be a polished gentleman though it was one of the things that I was required to learn as a child.  Even in the borderlands their are balls or events where there is dancing."

"Good, rest!"  "I am glad you like books for I despise them.  Ooh I know they contain valuable information though as a child I received many beatings because I was not paying attention during my studies.  I wanted to learn swordsmanship not letters or reading.  Maybe I will take an interest in books now since there is much that I would like to learn.  Perhaps one day I will buy that book store for you.  You can recite the stories and I will listen to your magical voice."  He smiled at her, a loving smile that said he would give her the world if it would make her happy.

"Begin!"  "Well then I will tell you what I know so you can tell something that I do not.  I do not know much outside of the Borderlands with the exception of commonly known facts.  For instance I know about Daes Dae'mar, that ridiculous game that the Cairhienen are so fond of.  That is the name for it isn't it?  I have also heard it called the game of houses.  I don't understand why people would be interested in such a game, reading deeply into the slightest move made by those around you.  What a waste of time.  I mean who has time for such games, certainly no one in the Borderlands."  "Good, rest!"

"Have you ever visited one of the islands of the Sea Folk?  Perhaps you could tell me of your travels?  Places you have gone, sights that you have seen."  He listened as she spoke.  "Keep talking my love" "Begin!"  As she spoke they finished the final sets.  Her arms began to fall short of the ten count.  "Keep them up, all the way up!  You can do it!"  She struggled to bring her arm up but she did it.  At the count of ten she let the buckets hang at her side. 

"Go ahead and drop them, now take this." He picked up a metal practice sword that matched the one she had chosen from the armory earlier on in her training.  It was identical to the real sword except this one had blunt edges so it could be used for sparring and getting used to the weight and feel of a real weapon.  He handed her the sword.  Drawing his he continued.  "Now hold it like this"  He showed her the guard position Lion on the Hill  "This is a basic guard position called Lion on the Hill.  Hold this position for as long as you can."  He didn't expect it to be long, her muscles would be exhausted by now. 

"Don't let it drop keep your guard!"  Light she was going to hate him though if she kept putting the same effort into her training as she had been then she would be well prepared when the time came that she needed it.  Hopefully that time would never come if he had anything to say about it though that was a fantasy.  The reality was that she would definately need it one day.

"Since you are so eager then take these.  We will talk as we train.  Pick them up and let them hang at your side."

Kabria eyed Perivar and the buckets with the same surprise and disgust. Buckets? Wasn’t training about knives and swords Looking into his eyes for any sign of a joke and seeing none, she sighed and bent down to pick of the two buckets. Her arms were not as tired from running as they had once been and at first the weight did not seem a hindrance. “Whatever this is I can already tell I like it better than running.”

"Now with your arms extended, lift the buckets forward until your arm and body form a right angle." Again her eyes popped but Kabria obliged. Anything would be better than running. Rising the buckets she held them tight to the count of ten before slowly bring them down. She could feel the strain along the backs of her arms and her wrists, by the second time the buckets came up. By the 6th time the buckets were raised sweat was once again pouring down Kabria face and her arms quivered as they rose. Not wanting to focus on the pain she glared at Perivar and pictured whipping him from here to Tear and back over and over again; all for the pain he was putting her through. Something of her thoughts must have shown on her face because Perivar grimaced and looked away. "So you want to dance?  Of course it isn't silly.  Perhaps there will be an opportunity to do so.  Perhaps you do not realize it yet though you already glide my love.  Every step you take, perfect Aes Sedai serenity."   He said when he finally met her eyes again. The desire to blush crept up with in her but Kabria firmly stamped it down. He would not dispel her anger as easily as that. Angry as she was, Kabria found herself telling him that she would love to dance with him.

Made at her own slip she began to focus more on her task and less on his words. Listening to him speak was a dangerous bet; she never knew when his sweet words would make her forget her pain. Two words managed to sink in past her anger “despise books”

Incredulity painted her face and for a moment the buckets wavered. “You hate books! How to you hate them? And all the knowledge they contain!! Perhaps you have not read the right books! I am sure I can find something to grab her interest. An adventure? Or a mystery? Maybe even a love story. There is a book for everyone if you only know where to look!”

"Go ahead and drop them, now take this."

The buckets dropped to the ground and Kabria massaged at her arms, but only with half a mind. “You can’t hate all books!” There was a slight panic to her voice. Could she love a man who did not also share that passion? “Oh please Perivar say you will allow me to try and find you a book. One that you will enjoy” Laying a hand on his chest she looked up and him through her lashes and smiled slowly. “I promise you can punish me for each one I force on you that you do not like.” Her sly wink spoke of promises that he would enjoy every failure as much as she.

Only after he’d agreed did Kabria take the sword. Her eyes scanned his body as he showed her the pose. He truly was graceful in every way. Poised just as he had shown her Kabria’s smile soon faded, but she talked to help distract from her quivering muscles.

“I have seen the Isles of the Sea Folk, yes. How could I not in the five years I was with them. I also saw that lands beyond the waste and other things that would curl your hair. But I do not think now is the time and place to discuss those.” The pain became too great and Kabria fell dropping the sword and stumbling a step. Her arms felt too long and the muscles were water.

“Tell me…my love. Do you push all your students this hard? Or do you save it all for me?”

She had looked at him like he was Shadowspawn and their was near panic in her voice.  She changed her look and her tone as she layed a hand on his chest.  Just her touch was enough to make him give in yet when she looked through he lashes at him with her sky blue eyes he thought he would promise her the world.

“I promise you can punish me for each one I force on you that you do not like.” Her sly wink spoke of promises that said he would enjoy every failure as much as she.  The thoughts that came to mind made him blush.

"As much as I would like to take you up on that offer I think you only heard part of what I said.  I that perhaps I will take an interest in books now since there is much that I would like to learn.  Though if you still wish to entice me then I will be glad to play along."  He gave her a mishievous grin that said he would enjoy "punishing" her for every perceived failure.

"I train everyone hard though I admit I have more invested in you.  I have a personal interest in you progress and your ability to protect yourself."  Perivar took the sword from her then handed her the quarterstaff.  "The same guard stance can be used.  Go ahead and get in the stance and hold it while I talk.  Now the forms used for the staff are similar to those used with the sword with some minor modifications.  The major difference is the range at which you can strike though that advantage can also be a disadvantage when it comes to defense.  So you want to keep your opponents at range without allowing them in close."

Perivar picked up a practice sword and faced her at the full range of her weapon.  "From here I cannot touch you yet you could beat me silly should you wish."  He gave her a smile that said she would probably enjoy beating him into the ground.  "Now if I get inside your guard."  In a flash he was in close to her.  "Now you are at my mercy though you do not have to be."  He raised an eyebrow the unspoken question obvious in his look.  "This is where forms and movement come in, this is where dancing plays its part.  Dancing or flowing are terms often used when you go from one form to the next.  If you watch two trained soldiers fight or spar it will appear as if they are dancing."

Perivar handed her the practice sword taking the quarterstaff from her.  "Now come at me and try to strike."  As she approached he danced turning to the side as he backed away.  Occasionaly if she came close enough he would tap her practice weapon with the tip of the quarterstaff to keep her from striking him.  "See my dear, movement is almost as important as the froms themselves.  The forms do you know good if you cannot close or get away from your opponent."

"Go ahead and drop the practice sword."  When she did walked over to her standing directly in front of her.  Gently he placed his left arm around her waist pulling her tight against him while took her left hand in his right hand.  They didn't need to be this close though he would use any excuse to be close to her.  The sweet smell of her body and hair filled his nose.

He shuffled back slowly bringing her with him.  "Step with your leading foot then slide the other to meet it.  This is called an advance, you are in perfect balance as you move forward.  Make sure your steps are not too long or else you will be off balance and open yourself up to an attack.  What I am doing is called a retreat.  It is directly opposite to the advance.  Now you lead with the retreat."  He followed her lead, she seemed a natural gliding as she led him.  "You are a natural my love, I wish I had half the grace with which you move."

"Then there is the crossover for when you need to cover ground quickly or circle to avoid an attack or gain a position of advantage over your opponent."  He demonstrated it then resumed his contact with her as they danced around in circles.  He could not recall having so much fun dancing before.  Her scent filled him, the way the sun danced off her pale blonde hair dazzled him, and her sky blue eyes shone like gems.  Her laughter sent shivers through his body.  When they stopped he just stared into her eyes.  "Yes my love you are a natural."

It was almost midday and his stomach was starting to remind him how hungry he was.  "Perhaps we should take a break now and have lunch.  What do you think my love? I mean Kabria Sedai."  He beamed a smile at her that held a look of pride at what she had become.  "Actually the rest is theory so we can discuss this while we walk and the finish it while we eat."

They made for the mess hall.  As they walked he spoke about slashes.  "Slashes are when you use the sharp edges of your blade to cut your opponent.  There are many types but for now you just need to understand the concept.  He whirled the blade as they walked, slowing it so she could see exactly what he was doing.  There are slashes where you put your all into it"  He showed her an example "and there are slashes that are merely quick flicks of your wrist."  again he showed her.  "The latter you would use to impair or wear down your opponent.  Several seemingly minor cuts can wear down your opponent more than you would think possible.  A few in just the right spots and you will give yourself a serious advantage."

Perivar kept talking about slashes, describing them then showing her examples to drive the point home.  Edge cuts, Draw cuts, Push cuts, and Tip cuts they covered them all.  They chose their food placing it in a basket lined with cloth then carried it to her favorite reading spot as he spoke about thrust.  With basket in his left hand and sword in his right he showed her various thrusts.  He pointed out that thrusts would be her main form of attack with her dagger.  He also talked of the usefulness of thrusts with her short sword.

As they ate they talked about parries.  Spoke about the point of the weapon being extended so that the parry could be performed efficiently.  The more you had to move the point the more apt you were to be out of position for futre parries or strikes.  When all the food was gone and he was finished speaking about parries they returned to the training grounds.

Perivar grabbed two of the wooden lathe practice swords and let her try out several slashes and thrusts.  Then he had her take a defensive stance and had her parry his half speed strikes.  She was a quick study and was very agile.  He smiled at her when they were finished.  "You seem to have a very good understanding of what we have gone over.  Now it is up to you to practice what I have shown you.  Are you satisfied with your instruction for the day or is there something you would like me to go over again?"  Before she had a chance to speak he said "Have I told you how beautiful you look today?" He tapped his lip thinking "Yes I must have mentioned it...and that shirt and breeches are...well let me say you wear them very well.  Of course I say that with all due respect Aes Sedai."  He smiled at her and very nearly giggled.  Light what had come over him, being near to giggling.  No one would believe that.

Clicking her tongue in vexation Kabria dropped her hands from his chest, but still smiled when his eyes met hers. Someday soon..very soon she promised herself.

The staff felt lighter than the sword, but her already tired arms quivered as she assumed the guard stance. She tried to focus on his words and be an attentive student, but it was hard when her muscles felt like water and he was standing in her sight looking so strong..and so..beautiful. Kabria smiled, but not at the thought of beating him silly. It was the image of healing all his hurts that made her giggle like a girl.

When she did finally get the opportunity to move with her weapon she put her all into the attack. Stumbling over her boots when he dodged she cursed under her breath. As she tried to strike him again he moved out of her reach, but this time she was able to hold her balance and appear to have some semblance of grace. Still it was with gladness the she dropped the practice blade. Too much longer with it in her arms and she was going to “stab” herself in the foot.

Strong fingers pressed into her back and Kabria’s heart fluttered. Feeling his hard muscles pressed against hers made it hard to breathe and harder still to concentrate. Shuffling quickly she tried to follow his steps and as result stepped on his toes. She tried hard to regain her focus, but even then she could not manage his fluidity or grace. Still she did manage to follow his steps with no more stepped on toes.

“You are a natural my love, I wish I had half the grace with which you move”

Kabria blushed and focused twice as hard to correct her steps. Soon she forgot about her stumbles and mistakes and was laughing in his arms.

“I think you are a great teacher my love, both with the forms and with dancing. It will be a great treat to be on the dance floor with you” They both laughed as her stomach rumbled, but their dance was at an end. “Actually the rest is theory so we can discuss this while we walk and finish it while we eat.”

“It is the theory that is easy for me to understand. I find my trouble comes in the application. I have read the books and I think I understand much of what you say; it is demonstration that I find most useful.” As they walked towards the kitchens Kabria tried weaponless imitations of what he showed. Even without a blade it was obvious that her arms were no where nears as strong and her wrists no wear near as quick.

“Does that not always put me at a disadvantage? My arms being weaker than many I will face?”   She popped the cheese into her mouth and waited for his answer. She truly did have a desire to be the best, but if her small size and lack of proper muscles was going to put her at a disadvantage what point was there to learning the sword?

With a groan she promised to practice every day until she could do the forms in her sleep. Again her cheeks heated as he paid her complement, but she covered by performing a slash with her sword. It really was beginning to feel like dance.

Perivar smiled at her, he couldn't help it.  "You have a natural agility about you.  You also said that you were good with hand to hand fighting so that will help you.  It is much the same just that the weapons are different.  All weapons are merely an extension of your body.  You must become one with the weapon.  It is good to understand the theory, now you have to practice it so it becomes second nature."

“Does that not always put me at a disadvantage? My arms being weaker than many I will face?”  "Not at all my love.  If you are quicker and know where to strike or thrust then you have the advantage.  The size of your opponent matters little.  That is why you must practice as often as you can.  Once you get your stamina and endurance up we will start on some basic forms.  You will see, it will all come together once you learn and understand the forms.  Once you do I am not so sure that I would like to face you."  He smiled at her lovingly then arched an eyebrow.  Light she was beautiful.

He laughed to himself as if he had just heard a joke that was only meant for his ears.  When she eyed him he confessed his thoughts.  "I am inside the Tower on occasion you know.  Guarding the entry hall or making a delivery.  I have often thought of visiting your quarters if only I knew which one was yours."  He tapped his lip thoughtfully  "I have an idea just how to do it but if you were to tell me where to look perhaps..."  He eyed her mischievously waiting on her response. 

"I am inside the Tower on occasion you know.  Guarding the entry hall or making a delivery.  I have often thought of visiting your quarters if only I knew which one was yours."  He tapped his lip thoughtfully  "I have an idea just how to do it but if you were to tell me where to look perhaps..."

Kabria grinned back at him, reading the hidden meaning in his words. She wanted desperately to tell him where to find her, but she couldn’t..not yet. Not being a full Sister of the Green meant that certain privileges were denied to her, but how to explain that without breaking her oath.

“I would love to show you my rooms, believe me I dream about it every night.” Her cheeks colored, but she forced herself to continue on. “But I cannot…not yet. I…I am not, that is to say after that night I feel that..Please say that you understand!”It was a broken sentence, but he loved her enough, he should know or understand her hesitation. At least she hoped he did.

“I promise to make more time for you my love and who knows, soon perhaps we will be together all the time” Smiling at him she kissed his cheek and hurried off before he could protest too much.

Perivar hurried after her, as always he would escort her to the steps of the Tower.  He would watch until she entered the Tower then stand there for a while daydreaming about her.  As he caught up to her he spoke "I understand my love, but I wish it wasn't so."  He smiled at her reinforcing his words.  "I just wish it was different for us but I know one day we will be together.  I know it is out of our control at the moment but I long for you when you are away.  You fill my every waking thought when I am not having the daylights beaten out of me in training.  Pray that it is not too long though or else you may just find me at your door one day."

• 1 year later...