DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chasing the Darkness

_Kynwric_

Kabria rolled her eyes in a most un Aes Sedai like fashion at Kynwric, but was also grateful for his warning. She did have a tendency to get carried away and lose sight of the world around her; one of the few ways she resembled Brown Sisters.

Turning her eyes to Perivar her small smile faded and she clasped her hands to her skirts before she could stop herself. Kabria was more than willing to die doing the work of her Ajah, but she was unprepared to send Perivar to his death as well. That was part of her hesitation in bonding him, no matter how much she cared she did not know if she could willing send him to dance with death.

Mounting Blade and giving the stallion a small pat, Kabria’s eyes turned inward; refusing to look at the townsfolk that they were abandoning to their fate. Sometimes duty took you away from what was right, but only because the path you took, by virtue, was…more right. Not the words of a philosopher, but worth remembering she thought to herself as she fell in beside Loraine.

The puzzle of the unidentified weave still troubled her; she had a passionate dislike for the unknown. If only there was some hint of what had been done perhaps it would make their search easier. She was unsure as even to the answer of how it would help; only knowing that it would. With one last glance back at the village she turned her attentions to what lay ahead. She only had a vague idea of what to expect and she wanted to be ready..whatever came.

About an hour’s ride out of the small village Perivar came back with a few bloody scraps of cloth in his hands, but thank the Light no sign of more dead bodies. Unused to the Borderlands almost as much as she was unused to scouting Kabria was of little good in their search, except as another mind to ponder over what they found. That was why it was such as surprise when she spotted the first real sign of those they sought. A few careless imprints in the soft, corrupted ground too far from the path to be seen except by power enhanced eyes pointed them in the direction they needed to go.

Calling in Perivar and Kynwric from their scouting Kabria pointed out the tracks and asked their opinions. After all it was they that were more trained in the art of woodcraft than she.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perivar looked up with the feeling of being watched, the itch between his shoulders blades, the one just out of reach.  She had gone from happy and excited to, uncomfortable he thought.  Perhaps she already realized the fate of the townsfolk they were leaving behind.  They were far from defenseless though one thing suddenly struck him as odd.  He had not seen nor heard mention of any Shienaren Lancers.  Certainly there should have been a detachment here but he had heard no mention of them.  Were they pursuing whoever had attacked the city or did they simply not have any here.

He held Blade's reins and gave Kabria a foothold so that she could pull herself into the saddle.  Light she even made that look graceful.  She was oddly quiet as if pondering something of dire consequence.  Well he was not about to interrupt her thoughts.  If she wished to talk she knew that he would always listen. 

Perivar half vaulted into his saddle then strung his horsebow before following Master Kynwric out of the town.  Discarded clothing, bones, and other debris left a trail blind man could have followed.  He and Master Kynwric took turns scouting ahead.  Perivar had shot down no less than five Ravens, the Dark One's eyes they were said to be.  No Borderlander would leave one alive if he could help it.  Perivar was removing an arrow from the corpse of a Raven when he heard Kabria hail them.  He thought of leaving the arrow in the Raven fearing that it would be tainted but he could not afford to carelessly throw any away.  Pulling the arrow free he raced toward Kabria while scanning the area to make sure there were no threats from their surroundings.

He was relieved to see that she was pointing to the ground at some tracks she had found.  Master Kynwric was there first, Perivar glanced at the tracks then turned as he caught sight of another Raven.  It landed on a branch thirty paces from them.  He quickly formed the void, became one with the bow, one with the arrow.  Within the span of a heartbeat the arrow was on its way.  A soft thud sounded one the edge of the void as feathers flew from the bird.  It toppled limply from the branch to falling to the hard packed ground below.  "Light! That is the sixth one since we left the town."

Sixth? She did not know why that shocked her so close to the Blight, but still Kabria’s eye popped before she could resume her stern mask. It seemed that most of this trip had been spent with her learning to hide her emotions and being shocked again every time she’d succeeded.

“Is that worse than normal?” Sometimes in this company she felt foolish voicing her questions, but asking was the only way she would learn. “Do you think we are getting close? Or are they only to watch our passage and report?”

"Well with what we have discovered today I guess you could call it normal though on another day I would say that it is odd.  I've killed six but how many have I not seen altogether."   He didn't want to think on the number that he missed altogether.

"I think we are definately getting closer to our quarry.  Just before you hailed us I caught sight of a dust trail on the horizon so we are gaining on them."  He thought for a moment as he scanned the area again.

"I have this feeling that those Ravens are not looking for us at all.  We are only four and they have no reason to have an interest in us though it is better to be safe than sorry.  They may stop and study us making sure that we are not who they seek but I don't think we are who they are after.  I would guess that their target is the same as ours.  They were probably sent out to find those who we look for and report back to whoever sent them.  That is only a guess though.  I wish I knew for certain but I don't." He gave her an apologetic look not sure if he answered her questions.

Loraine fought the urge to protect them all, her hands clenching tightly on her reins as she left the town behind them. She sent prayers to the Creator to keep them safe, knowing it was all she could do to protect them. Tears threatened, but she swallowed them, calling on years of watching the same thing happen over and over in towns she'd left like this one, on memories of her attempts to intervene and how much worse it had been for her efforts. Perhaps the group on their tail would simply avoid the town. If they were in such a hurry, they'd not have time for a snack, after all. Their speed gave her some little hope, but she knew she'd never be able to walk through this town again. She'd rather not know what happened to them than face the certainty that she'd left them to their deaths.

She listened as Perivar exclaimed over the Ravens and nodded slowly, agreeing that it seemed unlikely that the Ravens were watching them. "Most likely, they are after the group behind us. Though what could be so important as to warrant a lookout, I don't know." She chewed it over silently in her thoughts, her eyes and ears tuned to the world around them as they passed it, searching for some clue as to the oddity that they'd suddenly come across. "I really don't like the way this feels..."

Perivar didn't like it either.  Master Kynwric was investigating the tracks that Kabria had found so he took the opportunity to approach Kabria.  Their legs touched as he guided NightDancer to stand alongside Kabria's Blade.  He spoke softly for her ears only.  "If anything bad happens, ride west towards Arafel.  Once you are inside Arafel show the necklace with my family's crest and you will have all the help you need.  They will see you safe back to Tar Valon."  He shook his head "Don't argue with me, just listen.  Make sure you are in Arafel, I fear it will not be worth much here in Shienar." 

The pain of the thought twisted his face.  The thought of the gift becoming a liability.  He saw the looks he received from the townsfolk when they first entered the town.  If not for his obvious connection to the Tower he had no doubt that they would have tried to run him through.  Things must have gotten much worse since he left for Tar Valon.  Sure there was talk of problems between the two nations though Arafel and Shienar had fought together against the Shadow since Malkier fell.  When Shienar officially became part of the Borderlands.  What were the fools thinking fighting each other when Shadowspawn were running rampant throughout their countries killing their people.  Something was definately not right. 

"As a last resort use it here if you must.  The trouble between Arafel and Shienar is much worse than I thought, perhaps it is better while you are in Shienar if you simply ask for aid as an Aes Sedai.  There must still be some in Shienar who would honor a woman in need but it may be too risky to show my family's crest.  I am sorry, I did not give it to you expecting that it would become a liability."  Perivar gave her an apologetic look then took her hand in his. 

"Whatever happens just be careful, nothing foolish.  Remember what I told you and what you have learned of Shadowspawn, especially about the Fades.  Their eyeless gaze can inspire fear like you could not imagine.  I have seen veteran soldiers soil themselves.  You must remember to not look directly at their face.  Do not get caught in that gaze and you will be fine."

Kynwric had come to Kabria's call and was inspecting the tracks from his horse's back when Perivar exclaimed about the Ravens. He glanced up at the young man and then to the sky. "When you kill the bloody things, if they are the Dark One's eyes, then he knows it and sends more to investigate... at least that is a theory I have held. Sometimes we underestimate the Dark One and we pay for it... in blood." He glanced back over his shoulder at the town. "And no, I don't think they have sent Ravens ahead to scout for that mess back there... I think they are for the group we are tracking, it makes more sense. They seem to have the prize." He glanced along the track and sighed. "I'm going to scout this trail..." He pointed up and along Kabria's set of tracks. "I'll be back in five minutes and make a decision which way to go then." Kyn then disappeared down the track at a canter.

Five minutes later Kyn was back and his cloak was missing from around his shoulder. His face was drawn and white and he pointed down the other set of tracks and said "We go that way..."

Loraine bit her lip, not feeling the need to remind him that there was another band of the Dark One's minions behind them. At least, if the reports she'd been hearing were accurate. She chewed her lip, watching him leave. Her hands clenched into fists on her reins and her lips tightened into straight lines as she felt the mass of things rolling through the knot in her head. If not for Perivar and Kabria, she'd have been gone in an instant, his orders be damned. Seeing his expression when he returned did little to set her mind at ease. She arched her eyebrow at him, but turned her horse in the direction he indicated.

As her horse drew closer to his, she laid her hand on his shoulder, a delving weave moving through him, searching for injuries. She didn't bother asking for his ok. He'd have just said no if she did. She shook her head slowly, then set a second weave to work on him, boosting his energy and stamina a little. He'd be little good to her exhausted and she had a feeling she'd need all the help she could get soon enough...

Kabria looked at Perivar as if he’d lost his mind and something of it must have shown on her face because he stopped her protests before they could even begin. Light! She was Aes Sedai she did not need a noble family for protection. Did he thin he so soft that she’d abandon their cause?

Fixing him with a level stare she held her tongue and allowed him to finish. Finally after all these months some of the vaunted Aes Sedai serenity was starting to sink in. "Whatever happens just be careful, nothing foolish.  Remember what I told you and what you have learned of Shadowspawn, especially about the Fades.  Their eyeless gaze can inspire fear like you could not imagine.  I have seen veteran soldiers soil themselves.  You must remember to not look directly at their face.  Do not get caught in that gaze and you will be fine."

How could she explain that she’d already faced Fades and worse during her tests for the shawl. Oh their gaze still held fear, but it would not paralyze her where she stood, not any longer. Laying her hand on his arm, as she often did when she wanted to offer comfort she allowed her mask slip enough for her to smile. “Your care warms me, but I think you need to learn that your days of coddling me like an infant are at an end. Where you go I go and where you die, I die.” Glaring she hardened her tone. “I want to hear nothing of honor or obligation or anything else you have to say. You know my words to be fact so accept them and move on.”

Turning Blade so she could look at the direction Kynwric had gone, she waited anxiously for his return. 

Perivar listened to Master Kynwric's theory on the Ravens.  "I have never heard that though I do not have the benefit of your years.  If that is the case then I will refrain from killing anymore.  It is just that I was brought up with the belief that you kill them at every opportunity.  I am bound to the Tower and not the Borderlands any longer so I will do as you say.  I am sorry if I drew any unwanted attention our way."  It stung a little to say that.  He was no longer a Borderlander, that ended the day he swore the oaths as a Tower Guard.  He was no longer Perivar Tarigan of Arafel.

Master Kynwric left to scout and Kabria decided it was a good time to set him straight.  She started out sweet then in an instant she glared at him hardening her tone.  “I want to hear nothing of honor or obligation or anything else you have to say. You know my words to be fact so accept them and move on.”  It was like being slapped in the face.

If her words stung, it was nothing compared to the way he felt when she turned away from him.  That was like a punch in the gut.  His blood boiled to the point where he thought he might shout.  He formed the void and tamped down his anger.  With all the formality he could muster Perivar bowed deeply in his saddle, glaring at her back as he spoke loud and clear "As you command Aes Sedai."  With that Perivar spun NightDancer around and in a spray of dirt and debris he galloped away to retrieve his arrow from the raven's corpse.  If she didn't want to hear anything from him then he would oblige her.  He wasn't coddling her, he was trying to make sure she survived.  He tried to pass along anything that may help her do that but now he would shut his mouth.  Perivar took his time retrieving the arrow.  His blood was boiling and he knew returning would only irritate him more.  He did not trust himself to keep his mouth shut at the moment.

Perivar let his horse walk back as if they were out for a stroll.  By the time he reached them Master Kynwric had returned.  Loraine Sedai was by his side shielding him from Perivar's vision.  He sat NightDancer several paces away from everyone devoid of expression staring out into the distance.  He had completely missed the exchange when Master Kynwric returned but it did not matter.  He was just there to follow orders, nothing more.  Just a Tower Guard on duty, the thought infuriated him but he pushed it into the flame. 

Kyn felt the refreshing of his body and mind, and knew what Loraine was doing. He glanced up at her and forced a wan smile. "I wish it were that simple love... I'm not that tired yet. But there is nothing down that trail we need to explore, it seems to curl back in to this one further down the path." He nodded in the direction they had been traveling. "Either which way, we're a few hours behind the group." And he glanced back at the town, and saw the beginning wisps of what would grow to towers of smoke shorty. "And we're a few hours ahead of that bunch. So, if you are ready we'll move out." When she agreed he turned to Perivar and noticed his vacant staring. Wonderful, he's sulking."Perivar, take the point and keep us on the trail... if you see a raven kill it." He wasn't going to chance anything on his theory right now, they needed to be sure the Myrrdal did not know they were coming, the Dark One could know all he wanted... so long as the fade didn't.

Perivar nodded at Master Kynwric as he responded "yes Sir!".  Without hesitation he spurred NightDancer ahead of the others without making eye contact with anyone.  He left his bow strung, hanging it on his saddle's pommel so it was at hand.

Perivar occasionally sought the void becoming one with his surroundings.  He remained on trail while scanning the flanks checking for an ambush.  There was no reason for their party's presence to be known yet it was wise to be cautious anyway.  It was the unexpected that could kill you quicker than anything. 

The rugged landscape offered many hiding spots and did not allow for a clear view in any direction.  Fortunately the group they were after was leaving a dust trail that was easy to follow.  Perivar found more remnants of their snacks yet he put it out of his mind.  A quick glance of the sun showed that it was about an hour after midday.  It was cool but the sun provided a modicum of warmth.  Perivar kept scouting ahead then returning to the group to report that they were getting closer.  He had killed three more ravens though he had expected more.

Perivar was about to top a rise when he caught a glimpse of their target.  Dropping from the saddle he let the reins fall then crawled to the rise.  He studied the group from afar.  A quick scan of the landscape told him that he could get no closer without being spotted unless he choose to go far to the flanks. 

He studied the group so he could return with as much detail as possible.  The Trollocs, at least half a fist were in a pack blocking Perivar's view of what he suspected were the victims.  They were cicled around something and it didn't take a scholar to figure it out.  Off to the side a little he spotted three Halfmen that seemed to be discussing or rather arguing over something.  Light three Fades for half a fist was uncommon he thought.  Whatever they were about they were pushing hard enough that they felt it necessary to have three fades to push them.

Perivar crawled backwards away from the rise.  He jumped into the saddle galloping back to the others.  Perivar reined Nightdancer in forcing him to slide to a stop in front of the others.  He glanced at Kabria then let his eyes fall away as he pointed in the direction he had just come from.  "They are on the other side of the rise, roughly a couple hundred paces."  He filled them in on all that he saw.  "I couldn't get a good look at their captives but the Trollocs were circled around something, no doubt it was them.  There are three Fades...three that I could see so perhaps there are more.  It usually only takes one Fade to handle a fist and they have at least three."  Even with the adrenaline pumping through his veins he spoke calmly but he made sure to emphasize the fact.  Perivar glanced at Kabria again, he would protect her no matter what they faced.

Making a small sound in her throat Kabria rolled her eyes at Perivar’s retreating form. He needed to learn not to be so wounded by her words, making a mental note she reminded herself to speak to Loraine about bonding. Perhaps there was some oath she could make him take if she ever did choose him for her warder.

"I couldn't get a good look at their captives but the Trollocs were circled around something, no doubt it was them.  There are three Fades...three that I could see so perhaps there are more.  It usually only takes one Fade to handle a fist and they have at least three."

Her heart began to beat in her ears and felt as if fire were running through her veins. Her body seemed to surge with energy that she needed to release. Holding hard to composure she looked to the older couple to lay out their plan. As they all spoke quietly she listened, absorbing every scrap of knowledge that passed her way. She did steal a glance at Perivar and gave him a rueful grin before laying her fingers along his skin. She delved him first and found nothing beyond a pulled muscle, but she healed that as she took away his fatigue. She did the same for the horses and then released the source. She would be needed in the moments to come and did not want to be tired.

Perivar was so consumed with looking into her eyes that he nearly jumped when she touched him.  He felt a tingle go through his body.  He was about to protest though he felt his back loosen from a muscle pull he had not noticed.  He felt the fatigue leaving his body and he smiled at her appreciatively.  He did not have the benefit of being bonded.  Master Kynwric's endurance was better, he could go longer without food and water.  All of these were benefits of the bond but there was nothing to do about it.  The Wheel weaves as it wills.  What was meant to be would be, eventually.

Perivar made as if to talk but nothing came out.  He wanted to apologize, explain to her that he was not coddling her.  He simply wanted her to survive but he couldn't form the words.  He simply sat his mount knee to knee with her waiting on his orders.  He did not want to leave her side.  He did not realize it though he had removed his gauntlet and was fingering the ring that she had given him.  The circle of gold was beautifully decorated with roses.  Next to her love it was the most precious gift that he had ever received.  Unbeknownst to him a smile had formed on his face. 

Loraine closed her eyes as Perivar's attention was pulled away, turning to Kyn. Three Fades, she thought, wishing she could bury her face in Kyn's shoulder and making it go away. Two Fades, they could take, she and Kabria. But three? And Light knows how many trollocs and darkfriends have been hiding along the way that have not been counted. "I truly don't like the looks of this," she whispered to Kynwric. "It will take all of my concentration with one Fade, Kabria's never faced one, but I'm sure with a few new weaves she could take the other. You and Perivar will have your hands full with the rest and I pray you're enough." She sighed, rubbing her temples. He knew she didn't doubt his ability. She feared the numbers, that's all. "How are we going to handle the third Fade? Even if you attacked it, Perivar can't take the rest by himself. Light, what sort of mess have we landed ourselves in this time?"

The silence dragged on as Loraine Sedai and Master Kynwric.  He couldn't take it anymore.  Looking into her eyes he broke the silence "Kabria I am not trying to coddle you.  I just want you to be careful, I want you to survive that is all.  I am not saying that I know more than you, far from it.  I am just trying to pass along anything that may keep you alive.  I love you more than anything and I don't want to see you hurt.  I know your passion, I know you are a strong woman but I will not refrain from telling you something that may aid you one day."  He locked eyes with her so that she knew his words were true.

Perivar stopped fingering the ring and put his hand back in his gauntlet.  He leaned over kissing her gently on her forehead.  He wavered there a moment the sweet scent of her hair filling him.  "I love you" he said softly for her ears alone.

He slowly guided NightDancer towards Master Kynwric and Loraine Sedai.  He did not know exactly what they where discussing but he thought he had a very good idea.  He nodded respectfully to both of them "Forgive me for interrupting.  I know what we face will be tough to handle but perhaps there is a way.  If I can create a diversion to get most of the Trollocs away from the clearing it should give you three a chance to handle the Fades.  As much as it pains me to say it I know that I hold the least value here.  If I can draw enough of the Trollocs away then you should have a chance at least of freeing the prisoners.  Maybe I will even be able to pull one of the Fades from the pack.  I can try to lose them and return without them if possible though it may be that I will be returning with them hard on my trail.  If not then I will do whatever you need of me."  He waited patiently as the thought on his words.

Kynwric was thinking as Perivar came up, pondering how to work their way around this problem. He would have never figured on three fades in this pack, not with another fist of trollocs behind them. Kyn contemplated the idea of trying to draw off some of them, then dismissed it. The fades had been able to control the trollocs enough to take them away from a meal, he didn't think that they'd fall for such a plan.

"No, I think the risk there outweighs the reward. We are going to ambush them." Kyn then laid out his plan. "We're going to get ahead of them, then we're going to pick a nice spot to ambush them. I believe Loraine has a ward against Trollocs in her repertoire." He glanced at her for confirmation, when she nodded he continued. "What I am hoping for is that the trollocs will stop at the ward and the fades will continue on, at least enough so the ladies may kill one or two. If we can kill the fades then the trollocs really shouldn't be a problem. If they don't just fall over and die, we'll make them wish they had. Thoughts?"

Perivar nodded respectfully as Master Kynwric responded and Kabria guided Blade over to join them.  A few questions and commments came to mind.  "If I may..."  He waited for their nods before speaking.  "I agree that an ambush is best, but do you think we can get ahead of them without being spotted?  We would have to ride hard to get ahead of them and we will certainly leave a dust trail.  Is there a weave to mask that?"  His eyes went from Loraine Sedai to Kabria as they would know best. 

He waited for them to respond before continuing.  "The problem with three of them is figuring out which one is linked to the Trollocs.  Perhaps all three are linked though I have never heard of it.  It could be that each fade controls a third of the Trollocs though we won't know until we face them.  If the ward holds them in place then that is one less thing for us to worry about."  Perivar glanced at the ground, he was not sure himself and did not envy Master Kynwric or Loraine Sedai for the decision was theirs to make and they would feel the weight of it. 

"Either way we have to do something, I am ready for whatever you decide."  He looked to Kabria and tried to smile though he was not sure that it reached his face.  He would do what had to be done but he was not willing to lose her.   

Loraine nodded, listening and playing the scenarios in her head as each idea was presented and thrown out. "Perivar has a point about the trollocs being attached to the Fades. If they each control a third of them, then we'll only lose two of the three groups by killing one or two." She took a breath and let her gaze slip between Perivar and Kynwric. "You'll have to handle the third one yourselves. With Kabria's help, we can handle the trollocs once the Fades are out of the picture. At least until your blades are clean."

It would take a good place and careful planning to get around them and ambush a group that large. She sighed, wondering if she was still practiced enough at Traveling to get them ahead of this group. She'd been through the area ahead of them before, perhaps it would be enough...

Kabria heart caught in her throat as Perivar described what he wanted to do.  She would not allow it! Thank the Light Kynwric saw it the same way!

She could understand the older Sisters hesitation, and she certainly felt her fear, but she wished that there was more she could say or do to make them understand that she would not falter or fail. True, she’d never faced a Trolloc or a Fade in the flesh, but during her test for the shawl she’d been subject to facing more than a few and in the days since she’d practiced until her head hurt. Kabria had gone over the killing weaves until she could form them in her sleep. "You'll have to handle the third one yourselves. With Kabria's help, we can handle the Trollocs once the Fades are out of the picture. At least until your blades are clean."

“Yes, we will keep them back for you.” There was no question in her mind. She would do everything in her Power to keep the two of them alive. The two men in front of her meant the world and she would die if either was harmed.

“So how do we get around them? If we swing out to far left or right we may come out to find that they are no longer where we expected, but any closer and we’ll be seen?”

Kyn glanced at Loraine, wondering if she felt strong enough to attempt to do what he was asking. He knew the spot he would choose, and he knew she knew at as well... it hadn't been all that far from here that they had been on an expedition just after Loraine's raising to the shawl and his own promotion to the Tower Guard. It was also directly in the path of the horde they were pursuing. It appeared as if she were thinking hard on something "Lor? Can you create create the hole?" He waited for her answer because it would affect how the whole plan worked.

Loraine looked at Kabria, searching for any sign of fatigue. Seeing none, she nodded at Kynwric. "It won't give us much time, if I know the spot you want." She nodded slowly, chewing her lip. "Kabria, our first goal is the Fades. Kynwric and Perivar will have to cut through a few trollocs to get to the third, but hopefully, we can take two of them out before they get there. Once that's done, we'll focus our efforts on the Trollocs, keeping them from their backs as they handle the Fade." She saw the plan laying out in her head, cursing silently about not knowing exactly how long they had to brace for the ambush. "We need to find the male and female that made that mess, too. I pray they saved those two for dessert, so we have a chance..."

Watching Loraine chew on her lips from nerves made Kabria wish to taste her own, but she held firm, not wanting to appear afraid in her eyes.

Kabria nodded, eager to be doing more than talking about their plan. “I will do what I can Loraine” she tried to look confident and smile at the woman she admired, but somehow she knew she fell short. Glancing at the men she asked one last time if either was hurt or fatigued, reminding them that she held a small skill at healing that may be of use.

Perivar had already voiced his questions and offered his opinions.  Now he sat NightDancer listening as Loraine, Kabria, and Kynwric spoke.  He watched Kabria with an obvious look of admiration mixed with grim determination, she was everything to him.  Beautiful, passionate, intelligent, and she had the heart of lioness.  On top of all of that she was his and he considered himself the luckiest man in the world.

Perivar had never been patient and right now he was itching to go but it did no good to be hasty.  He formed the flame pushing all the emotions into it bringing on the void.  Emotions were distant, feelings dancing on the outside though he was barely aware of them.  He smiled at Kabria when she asked if he was hurt or fatigued.  "I am fine my love."  He said touching her hand and he didn't care who saw or heard.  Who knew what was going to happen.  Things could go smoothly or they could not.  "The Wheel weaves as it wills.  The dancing is sweeter on the edge of a sword."  The latter was a saying that he heard often as a child.

"If we have the time, first set the trolloc ward... if not, well kill them all. Perivar, you'll watch the ladies and make sure nothing happens to them. I'll find the closest fade, Kabria the next closest and Lor will take the furthest. If we're lucky killing the fades will kill the trollocs, if we're not it'll be a bloody fine mess we're in." He was waiting and talking mostly to calm nerves, his and the others while Loraine was weaving the power to open the rift.

When it was open Kyn stepped through it, leading his horse through as well, and took a quick look around. He could hear the thumping of boots coming up the trail and muttered, gesturing hurriedly to the others to get through. While they were coming through Kyn slid up into the saddle of his horse and turned to watch the trail leading up to the clearing, figuring they had a minute or two at most before the band was upon them.