DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Universal Studios buy WoT rights!

jezzahardin

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what to think on this. I just realized, when browsing the general discussion, that much of the WoT is actually description and this wont take up much of movie time. It may actually be possible to do this. The cast of course is going to require Buckingham Palace to reside in while the films are shot.

Brave guys, U Studios.

Nothing has happened yet. This is the third time the rights have been sold.

They have optioned the books, previously with NBC for a mini-series in 2000 and then bought by Red Eagle Entertainment in 2004. In both the previous case and this one, the plan is to work on the (emminently adaptable) first book,

The first time, they had it for 4 years, and did nothing to it.

Don't get excited yet.

Maybe once HP is finished?

i hope they get peter jackson or del toro to do these. hopefully del toro, cause he has that weird ability to make random creepy monsters.

and for the actors they cant be famous stars like angelina jolie to play lanfear or stuff like that, it has to be new people or not well known actors.

Personally if anyone wants to join me we can create a crazed band of fans and attack anyone who tries to make this movie. Seriously i can not be opptimistic about this. Its going to be mutalated. That is how these things work.

Sign me up! I'm with you Corbett.....

They did it right with LOTR, but it was a much much MUCH more simple story line....and even still, my biggest complaint is that they left out the best character in the whole series.

C'mon- you guys know who i'm talking about.

Personally if anyone wants to join me we can create a crazed band of fans and attack anyone who tries to make this movie. Seriously i can not be opptimistic about this. Its going to be mutalated. That is how these things work.

This is the same reaction I had when I saw this posted.

I foresee Universal making one main character named Ranaterrin and screwing the whole thing up.

Perhaps a miniseries would work, they did a passable job with Dune miniseries before anyone kills me.  I know the movie was horrible but the miniseries was pretty good, though it has been a few years since I saw it.  Most of the actors cannot be bigname stars.  I think the series actors can like Denzel and Hanks and stuff.  They should put Radcliffe in it and have someone balefire him immediately.  Angelina actually would be a good Lanfear, she has cleaned up her image alot and she does play a good psycho, which Lanfear most definately.  Angelina played the only good role in that fiasco Alexander.  And if someone decides eventually to do it they need to ban Tom Cruise and his clan.

Oh, good.  Its not just me.  Why does hollywood want to ruin everything I love?  Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Eva, and now WoT.  Seriously, its a book, and I, for one, think it should stay that way.

And for the record: Angelina cannot be Lanfear for the simple reason of her not being pale.  If Kristen Bell wants to die her hair black, and put on some contacts she could maybe pull it off, but I dont care b/c Ill throw the torch to burn down Universal if they try it.

Lanfear is supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world, which immidiatly disqualifies jolie.

I think it is quite odd, and rather unsettling that Red Eagle is involved in this. They did manage to royally piss RJ off...

I hear things now and then floating out in the air. For instance, I hear that word was floating about ComicsCon in San Diego that I am displeased with Red Eagle. Too true. Too very true. In a few more months that last contract they have with anyone on God’s green earth that so much as mentions my name will come to an end and we can see what happens after that. You see, among other things they forgot an old dictum of LBJ back when he was just a Congressman from Texas, when he famously, or infamously, said “Don’t spit in the soup. boys. We all have to eat.” Worse, Red Eagle though they could tell me they spit in the soup, or pee in it, if they wanted to and there wasn’t anything I could do to stop them. You can’t apologize your way out of that with me, not that they tried. There isn’t enough money in the world to buy your way out of it with me. Not that they tried that either. So they get no further help from me. Once they are completely out of the picture, we’ll see what happens.

There are so very few fantasy/scifi movies to come out that I embrace every last one. I hate the drivel that most hollywood movies are. There hasn't been a unique movie idea for a very long time, and most of the decent movies lately have been adaptations of comics, novels, or other modified work. You can never expect an adaptation to be just like the books, and you let yourself down if you expect it to be. As long as the movie stays true to the spirit of the books though its a good thing. Now not all do, but some have, like the Harry Potter series by universal (too much is cut, and scenes are different, but the right idea is there even if the later movies didnt go dark enough).

I'll watch it if it comes out, but I really hope no name actors are used. Casting well known actors either defines that actor or it makes the movie a flop. The problem comes when teh actor decides to change how teh character is supposed to interact because they feel they know the role better than the author. That said it can be good, and there are examples like Ironman and batman (joker latest), where teh actor really gets the character.

Lanfear is supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world, which immidiatly disqualifies jolie.
Glad I'm not the only person that spotted that.

if they cast her the movie is doomed to be ruined. :'(

im sure there are tons of the most beutiful tall pale woman who looka ageless right? :sarcasm:

i was watching Heroes and i thought that the guy who plays matt could possibly play perrin if they give him a wigg and he looks more buff than chubby.

Glad I'm not the only person that spotted that.

if they cast her the movie is doomed to be ruined. :'(

im sure there are tons of the most beutiful tall pale woman who looka ageless right? :sarcasm:

i was watching Heroes and i thought that the guy who plays matt could possibly play perrin if they give him a wigg and he looks more buff than chubby.

The main characters are aged from 17 - 23 (or is it 22) a 42 year old would just look wrong especially if the films take 2 years per and takes 24 years to make the series =p. I would say it would be better to cast slightly younger and use 16 - 18 year old actors over 28 - 30 year olds for the younger roles.

Lanfear doesn't have an ageless look. I would say using Jenifer hawkins would work =p

Just because they aren't common doesn't mean they can't actually cast someone beautiful, does it?

And casting a 42 year old to play a 21 year old? While we're trying to force actors from Heroes into roles they are woefully unsuited for, how about Jack Coleman as Mat and Malcolm McDowell as Rand. And Masi Oka as Nynaeve. Egwene could be played by Jimmy Jean-Louis. Thom by Ali Larter.

The Sackville-Bagginses?

The Sackville-Bagginses have a cameo in the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring.  Maybe it's only the extended edition thought.  ;)

I disagree with the post a little ways up, but I'm too lazy to quote it.  Actors who are celebrities should not be there.  Well-known actors are okay.  By well-known, I mean actors who have been recognized for what they've done but are not celebrities.

Thom by Ali Larter.

Don't give anyone ideas...  :D

Thom by Ali Larter.
Don't give anyone ideas...  :D
How's this for giving you ideas: there is a fair bit of support for the idea that Thom will marry Moiraine. So how about Moiraine played by Hayden Panettiere. Considering she is both a woman and a midget she is thus not a completely ridiculous suggestion for Moiraine. And she stars in Heroes. Any approval for this idea?

Going back to Hiro as Nynaeve, just think of how well it would work out: after Healing Logain "Yatta!", after breaking her block "yatta!" and so on.

On a more serious note, the actors they choose should be people who can actually play the parts. No Keanu Reeves to play Rand, for example. Nor should they blow the budget on unnecessary A-listers even if said A-lister would be pretty good for the role.

I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of Wheel of Time as a film or series of films. Mini-series (or full series) is the way to go, and mini-series with serious budget as well. It will need a lot of time to put all the story on the screen, more than people are going to sit through for a film. The cutting of storylines is something more important than whether or not they should try for a cast comprised exclusively of people nobody has ever heard of or whether or not it would be ruined by being able to say "hey, I remeber that guy, he played X in Y."

They could always cartoon it up as well like the latest star wars (though personally I hope they don't), or go the Beowolf/300 route. Hopefully they don't mild it down too far to make it a PG - 13 movie either instead of R as well.

Archived