DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Olympics - Beijing 2008

Majsju

So, the opening ceremony is just hours away, and people who have seen the rehersals say that we will see something incredible.

So, for those who will watch some of the games, what will you follow?

Me, I tend to use the Olympics as a chance to watch sports I never pay much attention to otherwise, like gymnastics, wrestling etc. But of course, also sports like football, tennis and athletics, sports I enjoy all year around.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the sport will be on while I'm studying (probably not the day before the exams, but certainly the first days).

Sports I really would wanna see are the cycling (road & track & mountainbike), athletics (short distances + steeple), kayak/kano, and gymnastics. But if it's the final of the 100 m backstroke I'll probably turn the sound up as well...

I'll also adopt my waking schedule: I'll get up at 6 instead of at 8.

I probably won't watch a whole lot but I do try to see at least some of the track and field since the Olympics is about the only time they are televised.  I also like to try and watch a little of the sports that I don't usually get interested in such as swimming and gymnastics.

Ok, WOW!

The ceremony was truly spectacular, though a bit too long. But whenever it started to feel a bit to slow, more fireworks ;D The swedish commentators mentioned a rumour that 49000 pieces were being fired, but I would not be surprised if the actual number is even higher.

Still not sure what to think about how the fire was lit though. Ok, it was great, no question about it. But there had been so many whispers and stuff that I can not help feeling that they could have made even more. Quite glad that the rumour about a domesticated panda proved to be just a rumour though :D

So, China has raised the bar for opening ceremony quite a bit, and I think it will be quite some time before anyone can match this. Certainly not the next host...

Now, lets hope the performances matches the ceremony.

The opening ceremony is supposed to be broadcast on a delay here in the states at 7:30 EST, so I'm hoping to see it then.  It sounds like it was pretty amazing.  I'm sure that there will be several performances that will measure up in every way.  While I don't normally follow swimming, I am rather interested in seeing how that goes after hearing that the U.S. team are wearing suits that are supposed to reduce resistance in the water.  I'm not so sure I like the idea of equipment giving anyone a competitive edge.  I have always thought that sports should be played on an even field so that it is the teams or individuals who win rather than the scientist who can come up with the best equipment/invention.  I have always been an avid supporter of those representing the U.S., but I think in this instance I'm going to be a interested viewer rather than a cheering fan.

For a moment, I thought they would lit the whole border of the stadium. It was much more spectacular in Athens.

Broadcast on delay is a good idea. They can take away three quarters of the ceremony that way (do Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tuvalu, Equatorial Guinea, or Malawi mean anything to you?  - there were 2h30min of those)

I wish they could have the team parading After the fire is lit, so I do not have to watch that damn thing. This year I even fell asleep for a bit during it ;D

Hoppy, swimsuits to reduce resistance was introduced at least as early as Sydney, possibly even in Atlanta, I did not watch any swimming during those games so I do not known. The suits became known as shark suits, I think. (Again, not a big fan of swimming, so I just have vague memories)

I wish they could have the team parading After the fire is lit, so I do not have to watch that damn thing. This year I even fell asleep for a bit during it ;D

Hoppy, swimsuits to reduce resistance was introduced at least as early as Sydney, possibly even in Atlanta, I did not watch any swimming during those games so I do not known. The suits became known as shark suits, I think. (Again, not a big fan of swimming, so I just have vague memories)

I'm not a big fan either.  I was flipping through channels and saw the U.S. team trials and they were talking about it.  Maybe it's a nonissue and they just needed something to talk about but I gathered that this was fairly new.  I thought I would at least tune in to see if it was making a difference. 

I saw an interview with a swedish swimmer who tried it a couple of years ago, and he said that he did not notice any difference, but that perhaps it was a mental thing, if you believe ot will help, you might be able to push yourself a bit extra.

My partner and I are sitting here in America watching the opening ceremonies, and it's about 11:45PM EST the night of the 8th for us.  First off, the opening theatrics, were nothing short of amazing.  The precision of the people, and the level of technology we witnessed on screen were just phenomenal.

Next off, I have to mention just for grins, that both my partner and I are quite in lust with several different olympian men from SEVERAL different European countries.  Just thought I would mention that...anywho!!!

I think the most enjoyable part of summer olympics for me is gymnastics.  For some reason I really enjoy following them when they're on.  Not really a big sports fan generally speaking most of the time. 

Just my two cents...Have a good night all.

Ok, swimming is starting to be ridicilous now. In a cool way.

The qualidiers for the 4x100 meter freestyle saw a world record. In the final, 24 hours later, Sweden swamn faster than that brand new WR. And Sweden came fifth! Five teams faster than a record set 24 hours earlier, that is just insane.

And apparently the new suits are responsible for this. From an interview I saw, they are very, very different from the ones introduced in Sydney. So, we have lots of more records to look forward to, which is awesome ;D

The whole Olympics are just awesome! From the opening ceremonies all the way to the end! I try to watch a little of every event, though my favorite to watch is Diving.

About the march of Athletes into the stadium. What I think is great about that is most of them won't win any contests, but they have the honor to walk among the greats because they are great! You can't make it into the Olympics without qualifying, so you get these athletes a chance to walk with thier colors.

Everythings been awesome! Even on the ones I was hoping to win and they didn't it still is wonderful!

Archived