DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Tribute] I felt guilty at first...

favouriteson

I must admit that when I heard the news of Robert Jordan's passing the first thought that popped into my head was 'but the final book hasn't been written!'. I was just so worried that I would never get to read the end of the series which has become so important to me over the years. I felt pretty guilty after this initial reaction, and thought about the reality of the impact his life and death had on people, the loss his family has suffered and that I was being rather selfish. But then i got to thinking about it a bit more; I never had the privilege of getting to meet mr jordan, but his writing means the world to me and has stayed with me for a long time now. I knew Robert Jordan through his writing and his death was a great loss to me, and I feel my initial thoughts of the last book reflect what he meant to me and so many other people. I just couldn't bare the thought that I would not get to read the final installment and find closure on such a major influence on my life. Not many people are able to touch others so much without ever meeting them and it's a testament to the great man himself that so many mourn his death. It is such a great loss to the writing world, but thankfully he will always live on through his books, and that can never be taken away. I think my initial reaction just sums up how much the books mean to me, and made me think about the importance of them to so many. Not many get to leave such a stamp on the world, and I think that what I was feeling was a great sense of loss through the only way I knew how.

I hope Mr Jordan's family can take some comfort in the fact that so many of us will pass on the books to our children in the years to come and that he will always be remembered and loved.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not proud to say I too had feelings other than sorrow when I learned of RJ's passing last fall.  Its not something I am proud of and its not something I find easy to admit, but it is the truth.  I never got to meet the man, I didn't even know he was sick until very close to the end, but his writing had such a huge impact on my maturing from childhood to manhood I suppose I felt like I knew him anyway.  I started reading the Eye of the World when I was 13 and read Knife of Dreams not half a year before I got married in early 2006.  That is a span of 13 years.  Exactly half my life was spent either reading or waiting for one of this man's books.  When my wife told me he was gone (two days after my 26th birthday) my instant reaction was of betrayal.  13 years of reading and waiting and I knew I would never know how he would end his series.  Three months later I heard that the final book would be written by someone else.  This was cold comfort.  I've since learned that Brandon Sanderson knew RJ and has spent a huge amount of time pouring over all available notes and recordings to try and make the conclusion as authentic as possible.  I have high hopes for his success, but no matter how well he does it won't be the same.  Almost a year since his passing I am ashamed by my initial reaction.  I can now properly mourn the passing of a man who seems to become only greater as I learn more about him, his life, and his final epic battle.  If his passing has caused someone a thousand miles away who never even knew him so many terrible and humbling emotions, I cannot imagine the pain that must have been felt by his family and friends.  Even though he has been gone these many months I want to take this opportunity to give my truest, deepest, most heartfelt condolences to all that knew him.  I also want to offer my most sincere apologies for my initial reaction of anger and hurt.  I don't know if anyone in his family will ever read this, and if they do I don't know if it will make any difference, but I feel like I have to say something.  Even if it is a year late.  God bless you all, and God heal your hearts.

• 7 months later...

As one of the newest members of Dragonmount I feel it is my duty to remind people that Mr. Jordan is the reason we are all here. Without ever having met him I can never truly understand how his friends and family felt but now after many months I too regret my initial selfish thoughts when I found out that Mr. Jordan had passed away. I am now truly, deeply moved by the loss his friends and family and also this community have suffered. Harriet; if you ever read this then take comfort that one more loyal fan will always remember the great man who showed us a world we can all be a part of. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. To Mr. Sanderson, May you shelter in the palm of the creators hand and do justice in this magnificent task you have willingly embraced.

I didn't really feel annoyed or upset about the possibility of never seeing the series end, but I must admit that long before I even knew RJ was dead we sort of used to joke about the idea that he'd die before he finished the series. Of course I kinda thought he'd pass away at a very old age, like 100 or so, and still wouldn't have finished the series.

Still, I certainly felt guilty when I heard that he'd died, but the main dominating feeling was sadness!

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't want to sound like an ass but I almost had an opposite first reaction to learning of Jordan's death.  I'm not a big fantasy fan.  I've read of course LotR because hasn't everyone?  I also read Raymond E. Feist for a few years, getting to "Shards of a Broken Crown" before I quit.  The only reason I read WoT was because I needed something to do over the summer a few years ago and my roomate promisted me "the craziest $hit ever" happens in this series.  Intrigued, I picked up TEotW and was hooked. 

But I digress.  My initial reaction (which I'm sure the original poster shared after more thought) was how sorry I felt for Robert Jordan.  Here he had crafted a new world with it's own history, myths and legends literally living in this world for over 21 years.  Haters want to say Jordan never had any idea where he was going with the series and was just adding books.  I feel this is preposterous.  The man started working on WoT in 1984 and the first book wasn't released until 1990.  Then he churned out a book a year.  I honestly feel Robert Jordan figured out all the major plot points and the conclusion in those six years before TEotW was released. 

I'm sorry to have posted such a long response but I just feel it's a bigger tradegy for Jordan that he couldn't tie up this world and story the way he wanted than it is for us that he couldn't release the last book for us.  I'm sure we all have our problems with the series (my biggest one is women "putting their hands on their hips") but how many hours of pleasure have we taken from WoT?  RIP  James Rigney and thanks for the good times.

I will also admit that my first reaction was one of disappointment of not being able to finish the series that has stayed with me for a very long time. After gaining more information on the topic of his death I now say the same as everybody else on this thread; I feel heartflet sorrow for the family and friends of Mr. Jordan. He touched the hearts and minds of many people and affected the lives of many people as well. It was because of him that I want to become a writer, and although I know I will never be as great as him and that I will never create a masterpeice as he has, I will be happy with the knowledge that he inspired me to do what I want to do in life.

As far as the finishing of his series goes I am confident in Mr. Sanderson being able to do a good job. I was skeptical at first, but I read the Mistborn series and I loved it and now awknowledge the he is a very good writer. I wish that Mr. Jordan could have finished the series, not just because I would have enjoyed it more, but because he devoted such a great deal of time and put so much thought and emotion into it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had much the same sense of disappointment, then guilt, but after I moved in to awe. I read somewhere that he had organized his notes and gotten everything ready for someone else to finish the book should he pass before being able to complete it.

For that Robert Jordan (James Oliver Rigney Jr.) was an O.G., showing such dedication to his books and the fans was unheard of for me and left me astounded.

Thank you for your dedication, foresight, and wonderful ability to write.

Archived