DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

what ever happened

Darthbob

What ever happened to the fade that Palian Fain had staked down in his tent. I think his name was george.

At the end of book 5 I remember him riding off with the rest of the Fains crew with a look like some one killed his kitten. But I can remember if he ever shows up again.

• 2 weeks later...

people are bilingual...

ok so trollocs are not noted for their bainpower, but verins says in TGH that borderlanders are familiar enough with the trolloc tongue to make out some of its meaning, so whay not narg? there are other examples of english-speaking trollocs i'm sure, i just cant remember them right now.

In The Eye of the World, one of the Trollocs attacking Rand and Tam's farm speaks to Rand.

I believe we have seen several instances of Fade's speaking to characters. When in Caemlen, a Fade doesn't attack (and would have killed) Rand and tells him that he belongs to the Great Lord. Then the Fade runs to a shadow and.....fades....right before Lan comes running in.

Narg was offered up as a Trolloc of above average intelligence. It's not implausible for him to have learned some of the human tongue... we know Fade learn it, so there is obviously some presense of teaching, or speaking in it and in the Trolloc tongue...

What ever happened to the fade that Palian Fain had staked down in his tent. I think his name was george.

At the end of book 5 I remember him riding off with the rest of the Fains crew with a look like some one killed his kitten. But I can remember if he ever shows up again.

I'm confused. I don't recall this bit, which is no surprise since it's been quite a while since I read the mid-series books. Are you saying there's a scene where Fain corners a Fade in his tent and later this Fade is part of Fains party. But then is not seen again for the rest of the series?

Perhaps it's one of the many subplots that RJ started but didn't have time/page space to complete? Kinda like Graendal's Shara manipulations... and others I can't think of now.

For now, I'd just assume Fain killed it "off screen" for the fun of it.

torgo

• Community Administrator

Umm, that fade had no name, and if anyone was riding with him, it was the other white cloaks. *He was apart of the white cloaks for awhile right?* I believe he simply tortured that Mydraal for a long while to get info. Then simply killed it.

Yeah I'd say Fain captured it and tortured it to break it to his will... First, he'd get an insane amount of pleasure from torturing anyone/anything enough to break its will... but Second, I think he'd almost be euphoric beyond recognition at the opportunity to do it to a creature of the Dark One...

Now whether he got bored with it or pissed off and killed it at some point...who knows :)

Meh... RJ writes such a rich universe its fun to hypothesize (sp?) on whats going on behind the scenes :) besides Fain 'taming' that fade was a really kickass moment... i mean what a BAD MOFO he has turned out to be! No wonder the Dark One has over 100 dark hounds tracking him now!

Guest cwestervelt

Other than Shaidar Haran, a Fade is a Fade. To me, "Taiming" a Fade says less about how bad Fain has become than his nailing one to a door while it was still alive way back in The Great Hunt. More interesting about the scene Kadere mentioned is the affect that Fain can have by just making physical contact with someone. Unlike mightisright, I think catching a Fade would be rather an easy matter for Fain so it could easily have been a different one.

I cant back it up. but, I always assumed that particular fade ended up toast anyway you look at it..was it before or after that they found the fade nailed to the door...in my mind that all runs togethercourse i have been slow getting back to my 7th reread .(would be 2nd reading of last book)I think I read book one in 1994 the first time

Perhaps it is a new one since Fain's powers have seemed to have grown since book four. However, I do not think he is likely to have a bunch of fades running around for him since it did take him some effort (staking him out and slowly tormenting him) to get the one in TSR under control. It was not - *poff* - turned fade.

For the record when I say take a while I mean like a few days at the most. I just don't see why he would bother to waste the old fade once it does what he wants.

Guest cwestervelt
I cant back it up. but' date=' I always assumed that particular fade ended up toast anyway you look at it..was it before or after that they found the fade nailed to the door...in my mind that all runs togethercourse i have been slow getting back to my 7th reread .(would be 2nd reading of last book)I think I read book one in 1994 the first time[/quote']

The Fade that Fain nailed to the door was back in The Great Hunt. That is over a year before the one that he is later tormenting in his tent.

Considering that Fade in the tent was over 1 year later, I don't think it took as long to get the Fade under control as you think. I'm sure, considering it was the Fain we all know and love, that it took a long time. I just don't think it was necessary.

Guest cwestervelt

I can't take it anymore... :x

The title of this thread just brings back to many bad TV memories. No matter how hard I try to avoid it, I immediately start hearing "Whatever happened to predictability, the milkman, the paper boy and evening TV?" and seeing that annoying Bob Saget smile.

Archived