DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Is the Land called that Tar Valon Occupies?

Mighty Chin

Cairhien is to its south east and Andor is to it's south west. The Borderlands are to the north and Arad Doman is to the far west. Every map I look at they show the borders of the countries. I would assume that Andor controls it all but there is a clear border on some of these maps that shows no Countries name. The Black Hills and Caralain Grass seem to be in the middle of no where.

``Actually it is stated in the books.  the land Tar Valon sits on is called an island.''

Actually, I believe that it is just called ``Tar Valon'', but that includes the surrounding land subject to rule from the White Tower. At various points in the past, this has been rather extensive. See the map in the BWB for Tar Valon during the period between the end of the Trolloc Wars and the rise of Hawkwing.

As for the other bits such as the Almoth Plain, there was early on after the Hundred Years War a nation called Almoth that occupied that area (capital Falme?). But the population dwindled, tho' not so much as in the Caralain Grass (once the nation of Caralain) and gradually Almoth ceased to exist and Falme became an independent city like Far Madding (formerly the capital of Maredo).

Tar Valom doesn't occupy any land except itself. It is an independent city-state like Far Madding. The government - the White Tower - controls the island that is called Tar Valon, but nothing else. Supposedly, at least.

No Tar Valon does control an area of farmland around the island itself--but yes, the Caralain Grass, the Black Hills, what used to be Harden are all unclaimed land. Caralain is completely uninhabited, the Black Hills and Harden both have independent villiages that owe alleigence to no nation.

Its part of the decline in human population over the last thousand years. In the past those lands were ruled by nations, and even as they declined other nations claimed them (Cairhein held most the lands in question here) but as time passed those claims simply could not be upheld, and thus lapsed.

Archived