DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cleopatra

Did you feel that?!!

A ShakeMap has been produced for event #14383980.

PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE SUMMARY:

DATE:  7/29/2008

TIME:  18:42:15 GMT

MAGNITUDE: 5.8

Nothing like a good jolting to get you going in the Morning!

5.8 Earthquake not but, 4.4 miles from my home in Diamond Bar, CA.

I've been picking up fallen things all mid morning, and throwing broken glass away... sweeping cereal bits off the kitchen floor from an empty box waiting to go out to the recycle bin.

Who else felt that quake, here in Cali? I hear they felt it even in San Diego, 70 + miles away!

Owen mentioned this to me earlier - my mother's parents and sister live in Torrance.  Guess I'll be calling the Cali family to make sure all is well :)

Sorry about the broken glass - at least nothing knocked you guys on the noggins, right? :)

So far all is well and even in Chino Hills, most of the damage was water main, related and no injuries, no building destruction.

The GSCS is saying this could be a pre-cursor to something stronger. It takes 24 hrs to call an all clear for something bigger to occur. But now that my blood is moving rather fast, I'll be ready.... got my tennies on. *lol*

I am sure your family is fine, but a little shaken perhaps, Raeyn. Phone service was off the hook and I am still having connection problems on my Cell.

*chuckles*  They probably are at that; after 20+ years out there, I think they've gotten used to the shaking.  I, thankfully, only had to deal with it once (2002 San Jose 'quake; I was stationed in Monterey at the time).  But it's nice to have an excuse to remember to call *grins*

I hope that nothing worse happens, though!  The tiny little bits I felt were creepy enough.  Granted, it was late, and I was confused as to how me kicking the underside of a desk could make a wall locker shake...

i heard about it from a coworker who has a friend in LA, but i live up by san francisco so i didnt feel a thing

Just heard about this on the news. Good to hear no-one was seriously hurt.

My mom shot me an email; the fam is fine.  And I can even share a cute story excerpted from the email:

I talked to mom and she said they were fine.  She said she was upstairs at the computer. She went down and dad and Riley were braced  in the doorway. Riley hollered at her and said "Nonnie, your house was shaking.  MY house doesn't DO that!"

It's the first earthquake that either one of the boys remember.

MoM

<3

*LOL* aaaaw... that was cute! Tsk, I can do Tornado's easier than quakes. I am a long-time Tornado Geek.

I am already dizzy enough without nature making it worse. :p I hope we hear from more Cali peeps. My brother in law's TV... its sitting a tad off his dresser. His CD's are all on the floor.. my pictures on the wall are cockeyed and my family pics all hit the floor... one, in glass, is destroyed. Everything in our medicine cab is in the bathroom sink. I left it there because my bro-inlaw wanted to see it. Yet another geek.  ;)

Thanks for putting up the info, Cleo! I saw a brief banner on the news, and of course immediately started panicking about Damon  :(

Our news is pathetic - all it said was: Earthquake in Cali. Aaarggh !

Luckily DM news is better  :D

Guest nephitess

Wow... did not hear abou this till right now. *mutters about listening to the new more often*

I'm glad everyone seems to be ok! *snugs*

We tis okay too!

Staffy works in Chino so he was a mile and a half from the epicenter.

He was on the phone at work with a guy from back east and slid under his

desk to tell the guy on the other end a number to call.

The guy took the number and then told Staffy to get

the hell out of the building lol.

He said it's the first time he's been so close that he was able

to hear the bang. He's all good though and all I felt was some rolling

since I was an hour away.

Glad to hear that everyone else is fine too.

I spoke to Damon today - he says his whole house rattled, but nothing was damaged!  :D  :D

I saw a report from Diamond Bar yesterday and they were talking about Chino Hills. Isn't there where we met Leane for coffee or where she lives or something?

The Center of the Quake was in Chino Hills, I am 4 miles from Chino Hills. We did a bit more than rattle *lol* We shook!

Yes, Jade. We went there to meet Leane and Staffy. *nods*

Okkk I am so glad I am not delusional, although I do remember being pretty sick at that point. *G* Did anything break, are you guys ok?

I think I described damages in posts before you, Jade but we've been finding more things since then. *lol*

The front window has a gap in it that wasn't there before. Opening cupboards is scary... a few I just opened yesterday, and things fell out. One was a big bottle of Este Lauder Perfume, that landed squarely on my foot... that kinda hurt.

One thing that did fall off the fireplace mantel that really made me sad, was my brother Mikes picture. It was a total glass frame... beautiful... broke in a few pieces. I'll have to find something to replace it with.

Did you know (those who have not been in a quake) that the second floors and above will shake more violently? The taller the more shake or sway. I was upstairs in our bedroom putting away clothes and MAN... I thought the dark one broke free *rotfl*

Ohhh geez, that's kind of scary. I have only been in two in my life as they are pretty rare up here and not nearly that bad. I am glad you are ok sweetie.

Guest nephitess

I've been in a few quakes... only ever beenon the ground floor though. I can imagine it being felt more on a higher level though. *shudders*