DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Basic Fitness (open to Trainees)

Matalina

OOC:  the weight number really didn't matter you could have winged it lol.  But realism is always good.

Jesse nodded, everyone was done and they all looked a bit tired.  "Do some stretches to cool down, we'll be talking a bit longer than you should between your exercises.  I don't want any of you to get hurt."

Jesse stretched with them as he spoke.  "Your normal routine for the next few weeks will be different from what I'm about to tell you, as you will see later in the day.  But after these few weeks are up to you will run 25 laps to improve your endurance.  You will start lifting one quarter of the weight you just lifted today among other weights if you so desire.  For six weeks you will lift that set and then try what we just did.  Lifting as much as you can starting at the weight you just finished off at.  In this manner you will increase your strength."

"You will add balance to your daily exercises.  That is what we will work on next.  I will show you where you need to go and what you will need to do and what your final result will be."

Jesse stood up.  "We've a bit of a walk to get there."  Jesse lead the group to the Ogier Grove through the Streets of Tar Valon.  The site could be awe inspiring when you first set your eyes on the trees amidst the city walls.

Jesse lead the trio to the creek notoriously named Radzy's creek, after one of the many Mistress of Trainees in the days of lore.  Along side the creek a series of barrels were tied up.  Jesse kicked three into the water then removed his weapons and waded into the water.

Jesse leaned into a barrel cautiously, it had been a while since he'd done this.  He hoped he didn't fall in, but as Jesse tried to get onto the barrel he rolled it over.  Gasping for breath Jesse looked at the trainees refraining from giggling, but he knew that they would not find this as easy as he would make it seem.

After a few short tries Jesse was standing on top of the barrel.  "Your objective today and until you do is to stand on one of these barrels for ten seconds."  Jesse did Heron wading in the rushes.  "And then after you master that you will try Heron wading in the rushes."  Jesse did a backflip off of the barrel and smiled. 

"Your turn."

Jesse set to making a fire to warm up by and for the boys when they were done.  He also started making some tea.

Jesse

Visar listened as they concluded weight training, stretching to cool their aching muscles down.  They would be doing this more, and it seemed that the masters would expect them to improve quickly.  Visar hoped he'd be up to the task.

Then, he wordlessly followed Master Jesse when he announced they would walk to their next place, to work on balance.  Visar had an ill feeling about this 'balance' work.  He had never been very good at trying to walk on roofs back in Tear, or other such skills that more nimble children loved to show off.

They took to the streets, and Visar could not help but stare at everything there was to see.  He was so wrapped up in enjoying the sights that he did not introduce himself to the other young men, and trailed a bit behind the group.  Occasionally, Visar would find himself a little too far behind, and he would have to jog to catch up.

After a time, they entered a wood with many different kinds of trees, some of them taller than anything Visar had seen before. A forest in a city?!  I didn't see this before.  Visar wondered how and why that could be, but couldn't think of any guesses that sounded particularly smart.  They went in a ways, and stopped by a small rill. 

Visar's suspicions were confirmed, as the game was to be balancing on barrels in the water.  Visar couldn't believe it as Jesse simply waded in, and only after a few tries was standing on top of the barrels.  He looked anxiously at the water.  If the temperature in the air was anything to go by, it was likely freezing cold.

This is insane!  He wants us to try to stand around on moving barrels in the middle of a half-frozen stream?!

Visar glanced at the other two trainees, waiting to see if either of them was brave enough to try the water.  He was not going to be willing to do this unless they were.

Yet it was the exercise he was supposed to do, and he was already in trouble for being late.  Reluctantly, Visar took off his boots and belt, and stepped up to the edge of the water.  He was already to the point of shivering from the cold in the air.  He glanced at the other two again.

"On three?" he asked them nervously.  Maybe it would be better if they simply jumped in at the same time, and got this over with. 

(ooc: you guys can push Visar in if you want to)

Jasine stripped off his boots and propped his sword up in one of them.  He stripped out of his shirt and cloak too, it wasn't going to keep him warm once it was wet too and he'd be glad to have at least something dry to put on for the walk back to the Yard.  "Relax, kid.  Master Jesse wouldn't have us try anything that wasn't at least possible."  He took two running steps and then leaped into the river, curling up into a ball and splashing soundly into the river.

He surfaced quickly and gasped at the cold, but then started moving towards one of the barrels.  He lost track of how many times he was dunked back under the water again while trying to straddle the thing, and once there he immediately lost his balance while trying to stand.  The second time he got straddled up on the barrel, he made it to standing.  Crouched with hsi arms out for balance, still wobbling a touch every few seconds, he turned his gaze to Master Jesse.

"We're really supposed to be able to do Heron Wading in the Rushes on a bar--" The rest was cut off as his left foot slipped and Jasine dropped to the barrel and promptly rolled under the water once more.  He'd managed about 4 seconds standing, and came up coughing out water.  He crouched on the riverbed and then leaped for the barrel and managed to mount it in one go this time.  He stayed sitting on it, straddled, and finished his sentence. "-on a barrel?"  He didn't wait for Jesse's answer before trying to get to his feet again, he was never going to manage this if he let himself stop and chat.  He made to a careful crouch again, and held that for a few seconds.  Slowly, he stood all the way upright and managed to hold his balance there for a while.  Three, four, five, six... he dropped into a crouch again to keep from falling and managed to steady himself this time.

"Is that a goal for today? Or is that our continuing task?"

Master Jesse led them to the Ogier Grove through the Streets of Tar Valon then had them halt at as stream.  Along side the creek a series of barrels were tied up.  Jesse kicked three into the water then removed his weapons and waded into the water.

Perivar gaped as Master Jesse tried a few times then succeeded in mounting one of the barrels. "Your objective today and until you do is to stand on one of these barrels for ten seconds."  Jesse did Heron wading in the rushes.  "And then after you master that you will try Heron wading in the rushes."  Jesse did a backflip off of the barrel and smiled at them.  Perivar couldn't believe that they were expected to do that.  He was not very familiar with water other than to drink or bath, this was not going to be easy.

Perivar took his boots, belt, and shirt off.  Visar counted to three trying to get them to jump in at the same time though at the count of three only Visar jumped.  Perivar laughed as Visar gasped from the cold water.  Jasine ran and jumped into air balling up, as he hit the water it splashed everywhere soaking Perivar.  Well he was wet already so he mimicked Jasine, his larger body making a bigger splash though nobody was in range.  He surfaced quickly and gasped from the cold which didn't seem so funny now.

Perivar was still struggling with the barrel when Jasine managed to stand on the barrel briefly before falling back into the water in mid-sentence.  Perivar still hadn't mounted the barrel when Jasine stood on his for what seemed an eternity.  Perivar was frustrated he couldn't even mount the barrel. 

Jasine's words seemed to mock him though he knew it was not intentional "Is that a goal for today? Or is that our continuing task?." 

On three, Visar took a deep breath, and jumped into the water.  The temperature was even colder than he had feared, and he gasped and sputtered at the sudden shock.  Visar foundered around, until he found with relief that the water was shallow enough to stand on.  He heard another splash, and saw that the two others were in the water.

So much for jumping at the same time... he thought briefly, and then waded jerkily over to one of the barrels.  Now, how am I supposed to stand on this thing?  he wondered.

Grunting, he tried to haul himself onto the barrel, but it spun just enough that he splashed back into the water.  Clenching his teeth, Visar tried again.  And again.  On the fourth try, he finally managed to get onto the barrel, and tried to stand.  However, he lost his footing, and tumbled backwards into the water again.

He tried a few more times, glaring with envy as one of the trainees managed to stand on the barrel for a few seconds, and even was able to say something, as if this was nothing hard at all.

Finally, after what seemed like the hundredth try, Visar managed to get to his feet.  Nervous, he windmilled his arms about to try to stay balanced, as the barrel rolled under his feet.  One...Two...  "Ahhh!"  Visar fell backwards into the water.

Shivering fiercely already, Visar tried a few more times, and managed to stand on the barrel once more.  He tried to copy the other trainee's way of standing on it, bending his knees, and trying to relax, staying with teh motion of the barrel.  To his surprise, Visar was able to keep his balance for a time.

Six...Seven...Eight..Almost!  "Hahah I did i...Whoah!!" Visar laughed, as he was almost standing on the barrel for long enough.  Then, with his focus gone, the barrel turned faster than he anticipated, and Visar's foot slipped. He sprawled his arms to try to get his balance back, but it was too late. This time, he fell backwards, face forward.  The breath was completely knocked out of him as first his ribs, then his chin and nose, smacked hard on the top of the barrel. Visar slid off with a muffled moan of pain.

Visar managed to turn face up in the water somehow, and stared at the sky in a daze, spots in his vision.  His breath was shallow, and he wasn't even sure if he could move. And it hurt, a lot. Help!

Jesse watched as the most of the boys tried.  Jasine asked a question that was a good one.  He was doing by far the best at this first practice session.  "No, both standing and the form on the barrel are your ultimate goal.  Today will be limited time to try because we have prior engagements to make."

"Try for another 30 miniutes or so and then come warm up.  We can't have cold muscles for what we are to do next.  You will practice your balance everyday and everyday until you are a tower guard you will try to improve what you can do on the barrels."

Jesse had barely finished his sentence when Visar fell hard.  Jesse waded into the water and pulled the lad to shore.  "You'll be okay."  Jesse took a look at his injuries.  "After you find out where we are going next and what you will be doing you are to report to the infirmary.  You need to warm up and then you should be able to move."  Jesse pulled him over to the fire and handed him a small mug of tea.  "Drink slowly."  Jesse also pulled a blanked from one of the barrels and gave it to Visar.  "As a side note, do not practice alone.  Always come here with someone."

"The rest of you come out, and warm up.  You've all had enough today.  Please bring the barrels to the pile here." 

OOC:  I'll let ya'll react and warm up then we'll move on to the next one.  I'll post the lesson on Monday most likely so if you don't get a post in that's fine, I just don't have the time to write it at this moment.

Jesse

"You'll be okay."  A somewhat comforting voice spoke.  Of course, it did not feel to Visar that he would be ok, but perhaps Jesse knew something he did not.  "After you find out where we are going next and what you will be doing you are to report to the infirmary.  You need to warm up and then you should be able to move."

Visar wondered for a moment where the infirmary was.  He vaguely remembered something on his map, but he had not brought that with him today.  That was all he cared to think about the matter, though.  For now, he drank slowly from the tea as he was told, and gladly accepted the blanket, wrapped it around him tightly, and clutched his aching chest as he warmed up. 

It was already easier to breath, now, the pain slowly receding from his ribs.  He felt them carefully, and it didn't seem to him like anything was broken or out of place. But his nose and chin still stung like a few wasps had had their way with him.  Tentatively, he brushed his hand over his face, and blinked as it came back with a little blood smeared on it.  Still,  it wasn't as bad as it could be, he reckoned, and he didn't think it hurt enough to be broken. 

Inwardly relieved that his fall had not hurt him as much as he feared it did, and that he didn't have to keep trying on the barrels, Visar sullenly watched the other trainees try for the next thirty minutes.  He was both glad of the break, and envious that one of them seemed to be doing so well at it.  He picked up his mug of tea again, and finished it off.

Jasine had let himself slip into the water when Visar fell and he stood in the shallows shivering as he watched Master Jesse tend to his classmate. He nodded when Jesse told them to gather up the barrels and moved with Perivar to shove them back up onto the bank.  As they worked, well, mostly with Perivar doing the hefting and Jasine dragging the barrels over for Perivar to put up, he chatted with the larger boy in a loy voice. "It's from riding horses, you know.  I taught myself to ride horses while standing up on their back at home, before I came here.  Hurt a lot more to land on the ground than the water, but it was much warmer too."

Once the barrels were put away, he scrambled up onto the bank and then dropped into a crouch beside Visar.  He'd heard Master Jesse say he would be okay, but he looked from Visar up to the man. "Do you want me to take him to the infirmary once he feels up to walking, Master Jesse?  He doesn't look to steady right now."  Jasine stood up and moved back from the pair of them to warm himself up.  He squeezed as much water from the legs of his pantsa as he could and then jogged in place a bit.  He had his boots, shirt, and coat to get back into, and they would be very welcome warmth, but he'd end up giving himself blisters if his wet feet rubbed against the leather.  In short order, however, he was warmed up and dry enough that he went ahead and put everything back on.  He left his shirt untucked so it would not get wet from his pants and then went back to sit down near Jesse while Visar recovered.

"You were doing really well right there before you fell down.  If you can get to where you have one foot on each side of the barrel, then you just have to use your arms to balance and you don't have to try running on top of it while it spins." He smiled, trying to make Visar feel better.  "At least we don't have to try Heron Wading in the Rushes on top of that today! Just wait until your basic forms class, you have to stand on one foot and swing your sword. Light, I fell down so many times that first day I was trying it and we were just standing on bare ground!"

OOC:  Jesse is still a guy :P "but he looked from Visar up to the woman."

Jesse looked over at Jasine then at Visar, "We will see after we get where we are going.  If everyone is dried to some extent lets go."  Jesse kicked dirt over the fire and made sure it was out.  It would really be a shame if they burnt down the Ogier Grove.

They walked through the town, but they didn't go the way they had come.  "Your next few weeks for strength training will be done helping someone else."  Jesse lead the way through town to a construction site were men were building something.  He assumed it to be a house or a shop that had recently burnt down. 

"You will be moving the building material for these men."  Jesse too three sets of work gloves and handed a pair to the lads.  "Today I won't subject you to this, but for the next six weeks you will be moving whatever they need you to move."  Jesee made the introductions to their supervisor here, a man called Thyle.  "Thyle will be your supervisor and he will be the one you need to report to."

"Thyle, sir, I thank you for taking these lads on for the next few weeks.  Today they've had a hard day, they will join you tomorrow." Thyle nodded and went back to work.

"Tomorrrow you will start this."

OOC:  You are welcome to take him to the infirmary, but I expect one post about helping to move the building materials from each of you before I will approve this for completion for you.

Jesse

"Do you want me to take him to the infirmary once he feels up to walking, Master Jesse?  He doesn't look to steady right now."

One of the trainees stood over him, concerned.  Visar looked up, blinking. He didn't really feel like saying much of anything.  He was too ashamed that he had completely lost it from such a minor hit.  He would have to do better the next time, even though he knew that he'd most likely get hurt more seriously than this.  He was training to be a warrior, after all. 

"You were doing really well right there before you fell down.  If you can get to where you have one foot on each side of the barrel, then you just have to use your arms to balance and you don't have to try running on top of it while it spins.  At least we don't have to try Heron Wading in the Rushes on top of that today! Just wait until your basic forms class, you have to stand on one foot and swing your sword. Light, I fell down so many times that first day I was trying it and we were just standing on bare ground!"

Visar smirked.  The guy was just trying to cheer him up.  What am I doing, being so bloody sulky?  I can't afford to have no friends here.

Visar grunted as he made an effort to stand.  He found he could, though his vision blurred with colored spots as soon as he was upright.  He resisted the urge to sit back down, and after a time his dizziness cleared.  He shook the young man's hand, introducing himself.  His words were slow and a little slurred at first, but he quickly found his voice.

"Well I'll get to that Heron thing when it comes." he said with a grin on his face.  "As long as they don't expect me to bloody fly here, I should be alright.  I'm not hurt too bad.  Name's Visar, by the way.  What's yours?"

After hearing his name, Master Jesse called over to them, telling them that they should get going.  Visar shrugged on his dry coat over his still-damp clothes, and put the blanket back on a barrel.  Loathe he was to part with its extra warmth, he thought he would look ridiculous walking through the city with that over him.  Best to shiver if necessary.  Visar hoped earnestly that he would get used to the temperature up here.

They went through the streets again, but a different route.  Now where are we going?  Visar wondered.  Jesse explained on the way.  They finally stopped at a construction site.  Visar squinted at the foundations.  Could easily be a mansion in Tear, he thought.  But he had seen so many stone buildings here that dwarfed such, that he thought relatively, it might just be a house or perhaps a small inn.

Moving building materials?  Visar frowned.  That didn't sound like too much fun to him.  But it would help him become stronger, and he would be helping people in the meantime.  He saw the reason in it at least.  And he was extra thankful that he did not have to start work on that today.

Thyle.  Construction Man.  Got it.

Visar nodded, and spoke with Jesse.

"I think I'll be ok.  I'll check at the infirmary just to be sure, but I think I'll be able to train some more today.  I'll be here tomorrow then, Master Jesse.  What time should I report to goodman Thyle?  Or back to you in the yards, for that matter?"

"I'm Jasine." He smiled At Visar and was pleased to see him recovering already.  As they walked to their next task, Jasine stuck by the boy, with a ready hand in case he should waver.  He'd seen injuries that could knock a man unconscious and then leave them addled for days, and he didn't wish to have the new boy stumble and hurt himself further with a fall to the hard cobbles.  When they got to the contruction house, Jasine put his attention fully on Master Jesse and listened to him explain their duties.  He nodded slowly, he could see the wisdom in using their training to a practical result, the creation of a building.  He liked the idea of it, it felt much more genuinely useful than standing in the gym lifting heavy bars all day.  Although Jasine would faithfully incorporate that into his routine as well.  He was not at the yards to cheat his way out of work, he was here to become worthy of serving as a Tower Guard and hopefully one day as a warder.

He bowed deeply and thanked Master Thyle for trusting them with this work and asked after what times they worked and when he would be of the most use.  After being told that an extra pair of hands is always of use, Jasine smiled and nodded, he would show up tomorrow as soon as his morning work was completed.

Jasine turned to Visar and asked if he needed help to the infirmary.  It was in the White Tower itself, and any novice on door duty would be able to get him to see a Sister for healing, but he was willing to help Visar there if the boy needed him to. 

The next day dawned brisk and cloudless, which Jasine counted as a blessing.  He would not have looked forward to working with Master Thyle and his crew in the rain, no mater how optimistically he was able to think of his training.  But it was dry and clear and Jasine was finished with his chores and exercising early into the day.  He spoke to Thera personally before leaving the yards, to avoid a situation like the one with Kabria that day, and arrived at the construction sight three hours before noon.  He had brought along some coin as well, so that he could lunch in Tar Valon itself and not have to either interrupt his training here or cut it short.

Jasine had forgotten about wearing gloves, but after the first two large blocks of stone had been moved, Master Thyle's apprentice took pity on him and gave him a pair.  The work gloves were of thick leather, sturdy and protective, and if they were a little big it did not take long for Jasine to adapt to them.  He tried to keep in mind what Master Jesse had told him about lifting with his legs and keeping his back level, and he avoided injury.  The stone wasn't the majority of the work he was to do, wood for framing and roofing and the heavy beams of the rafters were easily more numerous.  The rafters he could never have moved alone, and he worked in tandem with the other trainees and even some of the paid workers to move and set into place the heavy beams. 

By lunch, it hardly looked like any change had come over the building, and Jasine reflected on how long the work would take.  He surprised himself by realizing that he looked forward to seeing the building come together and hoped that he would be helping Master Thyle long enough to see it to completion.  Master Thyle paid a vendor for a whole tray of hot meat pies and wouldn't hear of Jasine paying for his.  He was already getting free labor out of the children, and thought it the least he could do.  Jasine smiled and tucked into his meat pie, ravenous after all the hard work.  He wondered if it was the policy of the Yards to help the citizens of Tar Valon like this, putting a practical use to their trainees' effort, or if that was Master Jesse specifically who had thought of it.  Either way, Jasine found that he liked the idea.

It was well before dinner when Master Thyle called an end to the day's work and thanked each of the trainees.  Jasine bowed to him again and promised he would be back the next day.  He wasn't sure how long he was supposed to be helping each day, he would have to clarify that with Master Jesse.  He couldn't neglect his other training in favor of this one, but he did want to fulfill the obligations Jesse had decreed.  As Jasine was walking back to the yards he was very sore, very tired, and once more very hungry.  He bought another meat pie and an apple and ate them as he walked.  What he wanted to do was go back to his barracks and sleep until after sunrise.  What he did instead was hail the other trainees and ask them if they wanted to go practice the barrels again.

OOC:  Very good Jasine you are done.

And a little clarification on what Jesse wants of you.  You can come and go as your schedule sees fit for as long as you want for the next 6 weeks.  You can play with it while in other rps.  But for this particular lesson it's not really important I only expect one working post.

A note of history:  My first character Matalina was the source of these particular exercises, not sure if anyone else ever did them before or after for that matter lol.  But it was done to her and she passed it on, and I'm assuming someone else thought it was a good idea and did them to Jesse and now Jesse is passing them on to you hehe.  Most of the F&V stuff was things Matalina did, minus a few of the ones I also through in once and a while.

IC to Visar:

Jesse looked over at the lad who'd asked the question.  His late student.  "Tomorrow I want you to spend the rest of the day with me repaying for your missed training.  I will speak with your other instructors.  You will meet me at 1 hour before dawn."  Jesse purposely made it earlier than before.  "I'll take you down in the afternoon for to Thyle to work but after tomorrow it will fit your schedule."

Jesse woke earlier than usual he needed to be wide awake before Visar made his appearance.  Jesse ate some breakfast and started his own laps before Visar's time approached. 

Jesse sat and stretched while he waited for Visar, he didn't want his own muscles to tighten up during the wait, the boy better not be late this time Jesse thought.

Jesse

"Tomorrow I want you to spend the rest of the day with me repaying for your missed training.  I will speak with your other instructors.  You will meet me at 1 hour before dawn."

One hour before dawn?!  That's torture!  What are they trying to teach me here, to live without sleep?  Visar was none too happy about the prospect of training extra early, but he had no choice.  He had been late the first day, and was paying for it.

"Yes, sir." he said simply, not daring to voice thoughts of protest for fear of further punishment.  Visar went back to the Tower, and checked into the infirmary.  True enough, he was not badly hurt enough to need much attention, and he had what was left of the day to introduce himself to the practice yards and find a few more places on the map, such as the great library.  For once, he made sure he turned in extra early, just so he would not oversleep this time.

Waking up before dawn, Visar sluggishly put some clean clothes on and trudged out to the practice yard.  The light was still dim, but there were still several lanterns and lightposts lit nearby.  Enough light to see the man waiting for him, who seemed to be stretching on the ground.

Time to get this bloody over with.

"I'm here, Master Jesse." Visar half-mumbled as he approached him.  Visar exhaled sharply, and asked, "What do I need to do for you today?"

Jesse was glad to see that Visar was slightly early for his session today, that boded well.  "First you will sit and stretch with me to help warm your tired muscles up.  And then we run till you drop."  It wasn't his punishment.  That would come later, it was the assessment he had missed. Jesse wasn't sure what to do for his punishment, but he would think of something.

When they were stretched enough Jesse stood up.  "Come with me you will run until you drop."  He put an extra bit on this.  "You will keep pace with me and you will tell me about yourself."

Jesse started at a very brisk pace hoping to make the lad drop sooner than the others had.  "Now tell me about yourself".

Jesse

"First you will sit and stretch with me to help warm your tired muscles up.  And then we run till you drop."

Visar blinked.  Run till he dropped?  Was that the punishment or just one of those exercises?  No matter.  He'd just have to deal with it this time.  He wondered how long he'd be able to run.  In Tear, he could run from one side of the city to the other at a fairly easy pace, and he could even run moderately fast for a fair distance.  But it had been weeks since then, and Visar had had no opportunities to run on the boat up to Tar Valon.

Doubts ran through his mind as he stretched, imitating Jesse as best as he could, which was fairly poorly.  That's not supposed to stretch that far! as he accidentally overstretched a split.  After a time, he had had enough of stretching, and his limbs felt fairly loose.

He could still feel some aches from his fall yesterday, but he hoped that they wouldn't destroy him today.  Visar took several deep breaths before following Jesse at a run.  The pace was fairly quick, but Visar thought he could last a couple laps at that pace before being too winded.  He grunted as the man wanted to know more about him.  What could he tell him?  He certainly couldn't trust the man yet, so he couldn't tell him too much. He hesitated for a while, trying to get used to the pace first. But I have to say something otherwise he'll be suspicious or something.  His phrases were extremely short as he had to breath in and out with every two strides.

"Used to.  Be a runner.  In Tear.  For m'father.  Left Tear."

As they neared their starting point at lap one, Visar felt a small pain start in his ribs, but he kept going.  He knew enough of running to ignore that until it became much worse.  I'm just just a little out of shape, that's all.  Gotta keep going.

He was breathing loudly, now, and his words came in less coherent gasps.

"Traveled.  Up river.  To here.  Wanted to.  See more.  Than just.  Mud.  And Rain.  And death."

Visar fell silent for almost a lap, save for his heavy breathing.  He didn't want to talk about his past anymore than he had to.

"You?" he asked Jesse.  "Where're you...From?"

The pain in his ribs was greater by the second lap, but again, Visar ignored it, and kept plowing ahead, barely keeping up with Jesse.  He had to show this man what he was capable of.  He had to.

As if his body responded, Visar started running faster, starting to go into a sprint, as if this was a race.

One more lap... he told himself.  One more, and I can rest, or at least keep running slower.

Jesse almost laughed when the boy tried to out pace him.  Jesse kept at his set speed and answered his question.  "I'm from Shiniear, where my father is in the army."  Jesse paused to catch his breath for a moment before continuing.  "I came here because I could not join the army."  He wasn't about to tell the lad he had a weak knee much less any other reason why he would want to come to Tar Valon.  But it was not his story he was set out to hear. 

Jesse wasn't sure if the boy would last much longer but he had hoped he would, but then talking while running was not the easiest of things to do.  He was forced to do that very thing as a Trainee.  It was not something he had enjoyed either. 

Jesse asked another question.  "Why are you here?  I mean other than to see the world."  There was more to training with the warders than wanting to see the world, there had to be otherwise why subject yourself to the rigors of the life.  But the point was to keep Visar talking until he could run no more.

Jesse

Visar sprinted for a ways, but it did not last long, and soon he was gasping for breath, running a little slower than he had.  He listened once Jesse caught up.  The man was Shienaran, a place as far from Tear as any other, Visar reasoned.  But it was a lot closer to Tar Valon.  But why wouldn't he have been allowed to join the army?  Guessing at the reason puzzled Visar, but he knew it would be rude to ask.

Jesse started to pass him when he asked, "Why are you here?  I mean other than to see the world."

Visar slowed momentarily, to almost a jog.  Why was he here, other than to hide from his crimes, and escape punishment in Tear?  He knew that wouldn't be a good enough reason in case things caught up to him.  He had to have another reason for doing this.  For truly, just from the beginning, this training was not something normal men went through lightly.  But a small answer came to him then.

It seemed so important, that Visar steeled himself and ran faster to try to catch up to Jesse.  Once he did, he spoke in very labored breaths.

"To.  Start.  Over."  he said simply and truthfully.  "To run.  In a.  Meaningful.  Direction.  To make.  A name. For myself.  As Visar.  "  he concluded.

Visar Falmaien.  A bright flame for freedom.  Freedom's bright flame.  Or so he thought the name meant.  He was no Old Tongue scholar, however, and had only his father's word to rely on for its meaning.

Third lap...or fourth?  Doesn't matter.  Can't run much longer.

A new goal started to form in Visar's mind.  Not something he could reach by merely running.  Not something he could fulfill in a day's time, or even a month.

His side ached, his breathing labored, and his head became light headed and dizzy.

After running perhaps another half lap, Visar slowed to a jog, unable to keep up the strenuous pace any longer.  He finally slowed and stopped, his chest heaving, his blood thumping at the speed of birds in flight.  As Jesse came up, Visar held up a hand.

"Short break?  I can...still run...more.  I think.  Just.  It's just. Been a while.  Weeks."  Swirls of color assaulted his vision, and Visar sat quickly on the ground, catching his breath.

Jesse smiled as the boy stopped, he said he could run more but that wasn't the point of the exercise.  "Endurance can be taught, that was the lesson you missed.  Over the course of your training you will be able to run faster and farther then you'd have thought before.  Walk off the tiredness you cannot stop."

Jesse pulled the boy upright.  "Come we've elsewhere to be."  Jesse didn't bother telling him his punshiment was about to start, he'd figure that one out on his own. 

Jesse lead Visar to the armory and into the back where Mistress Loari was working the forge.  "I've a new student for you.  He's to work the billows for three hours everyday for the next two weeks.  This is his punishment for being late."  Loari nodded and proceeded to show Visar the ropes. 

"When you are done here Visar you can catch a meal and then head to Thyle for your strength training."

OOC:  Give me a good punishment post and your final lesson and we can call this good! 

Jesse

Perivar tried tohelp when the other trainee fell and smashed his head on the barrel though he was no good in the water.  Before Perivar could get to him Master Jesse had already reached them.  He told them to take another 30 minutes to try to complete the exercise though it was useless.

When time was up he had still not been able to stand on the barrel.  He could mount it but as soon as he tried to stand he would fall.  He was agile for his size though obviously not agile enough.  Perivar helped Jasine put the barrels away.  He was so frustrated that he wanted to smash them to bits.  

"It's from riding horses, you know.  I taught myself to ride horses while standing up on their back at home, before I came here.  Hurt a lot more to land on the ground than the water, but it was much warmer too." Perivar laughed, Jasine was always there to pick up his spirits.  "Why is it that I can picture you standing on a galloping horse, you were probably smiling when you did it."  

Even though he was from the North the water was still bone chilling cold.  He thought he might never warm up.  He followed Master Jesse to their new destination.  He listened as Master Jesse spoke.

"Your next few weeks for strength training will be done helping someone else."  Jesse lead the way through town to a construction site were men were building something.  

"You will be moving the building material for these men."  Jesse took three sets of work gloves and handed a pair to the lads.  "Today I won't subject you to this, but for the next six weeks you will be moving whatever they need you to move."  Jesse made the introductions to their supervisor here, a man called Thyle.  "Thyle will be your supervisor and he will be the one you need to report to."

"Thyle, sir, I thank you for taking these lads on for the next few weeks.  Today they've had a hard day, they will join you tomorrow." Thyle nodded and went back to work.

"Tomorrrow you will start this."

The next day Perivar went down to the construction sight.  Jasine had already arrived and was hard at work.  Perivar sought out Master Thyle and reported for duty.  Thyle remarked how he looked like he belonged in a smithy or a quarry.  He told him to follow him to him as he brought him to a pile of planks.  Master Thyle told him to bring them closer to the building.  When Perivar looked at the hand cart the man shook his head telling him that he had to carry them by hand. 

Mindlessly Perivar carried the heavy wooden planks to the building where he began stacking them for the workers.  After a while Master Thyle rotated them to a new task.  Now Perivar was hauling stone, back and forth, back and forth.  His muscles ached, it seemed like everything they did made their muscles ache.  At least he would sleep well tonight. 

After moving countless stone blocks they were finally told to break for lunch.  Perivar scoffed down a meat pie, he hadn't even waited for the thing to cool.  The hot juices ran down from the corners of his mouth but he didn't care, he was starved.  When he finished the second one he thought of a third but knew that would leave him with a stomach ache.  Physical labor was no fun with a full stomach.

When he finished eating he leaned back against a stack of rafters stretching his legs out before him.  He closed his eyes for a few moments.  Master Thyle called them all back to work and the fun began again.  Stone, Rafter, smaller wooden planks all moved from one spot to another.  They had moved so many things that he wondered if they were building a palace.  Jasine seemed to enjoy the work, maybe he was mad.  This was no fun but he guessed that it would be neat to see the end result.

When Master Thyle dismissed them he thought he would drop right there though Jasine asked if they wanted to practice their balance on the barrels.  Perivar shuttered at the thought though he had to do it.  He told Jasine that he would join him then stalked off to try to conquer the barrels.

(ooc: I'm not sure if Laori is an npc written up by anyone.  Or just a random name?  Since I've got nothing to work with, I'll make some stuff up to amuse myself. Let me know otherwise.)

So it appeared the day's lesson was just that.  The Warders did not expect the impossible from him, Visar realized suddenly.  They just demanded his best efforts all the time. Can't be bloody perfect, but by the Stone they have flaming close to perfect standards! And they expected there to be room for improvement.  Feeling a little bit better about himself, Visar frowned when they went to the armoury, and then his task was made clear with the forge.

Three hours for Two weeks!  And this is the price for being late for just one time?!  I swear by the Light I'll never be bloody late again!

He nervously approached a rather masculine looking woman working away at the forge.

"Mistress Laori is it?  I'm Visar. What are we working on now?"

"We?" She said, wiping the sweat off her brows as she quenched some metal object in a water trough. She glared at him, as if he were a flapping fish on the dock.

"I do be repairing these grieves.  Do make yourself useful, boy; but do no expect me to make you a smith apprentice any time soon." She gestured irritably with her tongs towards the billows, and briefly showed Visar how to do it.

"I will no show you that again, so do stay sharp. Right leg'r does need reheating.  Now, do give me some air so I can bloody get this dent out!" 

Visar gritted his teeth and worked his frustration out on the billows, slamming them together as strongly as he could manage.

Burn my soul!  He just had to put me with a bloody Illianer!  And worse, an Illianer woman?  Who looks more like a man?!  So many bloody strange cultures crammed together in this Tower.  It's a wonder it's actually still standing!

The next three hours went by very slowly...And not without a few bruises and burns.

---

Visar had finally gotten something to eat, and finally made his way to the construction site on weary feet.  He shivered, his clothes soaked with the sweat from the hot forge, but he did not want to take time to change clothes.  That might make him late, and he had no desire to get into that sort of trouble again.  Thinking back, he was surprised that Mistress Laori had yelled at him as seldom as she did.  But his job was simple, and he even started to pick up on when she wanted more air or less just from one of her looks.  For an Illianer at origin, the woman seemed to be quite competent at her job, too.  Perhaps Illianers here aren't so bad, then?  Well she still had as foul a mouth as the rest of them do.  He knew that he would not enjoy his forge sessions, but the labor wasn't too bad, and he supposed he could tolerate it.

Finally arriving at the site, he checked in with goodman Thyle, and started hauling stones in wheeled barrows, hauling wood to workers, and mixing and laying mortar for stones.  All carefully supervised of course.  If Visar made one bad move, they were all over him, yelling at him to do this, or not do that.  But they never made him do anything he couldn't.  The day was one of the longest in Visar's life.  But he had seen worse, he knew.  Work in the Fingers had been much, much worse.  At least here he got decent food, clothing, and shelter for his work.  And at least here the physical training had a reason.

I sure hope I can get used to this again. he prayed as he stumbled back  to the Tower, all his limbs feeling tired and as limp as a lamprey. He would get some food, get washed up, and then go right to sleep if possible, in order to have enough rest for the next day.  He would start learning how to fight tomorrow, too.  All the things I have to look forward to, he thought grimly, as he trudged up to the gates of the White Tower grounds.

Loari is an NPC formerly played by me.  I don't think there is a bio available but check the armory page on the warders site there is a a bit of details there.

and good you are done.

Jesse