DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Out into the World(Wilderness Survival)

Eqwina

With the fire roaring and the meal cooked Thera instructed everyone to fill their plates. Eyeing the mushrooms carefully she selected only the ones she knew to be safe. A part of her felt she should tell them, but on the other hand the best way to learn was by experience and it would lead well into her next lesson if one or two found themselves sick. Nothing poor Arath had picked would bring more than a queasy stomach and a troubled head.

Since they had all done so well their first day Thera took upon herself to clear away the dinner dishes, letting them all grab a few moments of rest. Their faces all looked a bit drawn, but she forced them to their feet. “The sooner these shelters are built the sooner you can sleep.” A chorus of grunts and groans followed her to where the piles of sticks and brush had been gathered. “It is a simple structure you will build and..since the rain seems to have passed us by I will allow you to build one as a group tonight, but when we stop in the future these small huts will be a part of setting up camp.”

She got them started by showing them how to balance the sticks against each other to form the shape. She explained that using the base of a fallen tree or a large rock could help to steady the sides. With the skeleton of the structure built she left them to their work. Taking out small bits of string she fashioned a few snares and laid them along likely rabbit runs. When she came back the small hut had the appearance of a dwelling.

She paced around the structure and examined it inside and out. It was a bit unstable, but with practice they would get better. “You all have done excellent today and I will let you find your blankets as soon as I assign the watch. I will take the first and last which leaves only one that needs covered. Perivar? Tonight the second watch is yours. Now I suggest you all find your blankets we have a hard day ahead of us tomorrow.”

When the time came for second watch Perivar was at her side, but Thera sent him on to bed. She was not tired and even had she laid down she did not think she would have slept. The night was quiet except for the quiet snores of the trainees.

By the time dawn came Thera’s eyes looked grainy, but she was fully alert. She greeted her troops with a smile and immediately assigned the breakfast tasks. “After breakfast we break camp and head North, but tonight I leave it on all of you to call halt.” Walking over to the fire Thera put on the water for tea and sat down to wait on her morning meal. “Oh and if any of you are feelings a bit sick this morning, I may have just the thing to help your sour stomachs and aching heads.”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time Jasine had helped the other trainees to set up their hut, he felt so tired he wanted to sick up.  He slept soundly and without incident, but when he woke up he felt worse.  He wasn't tired anymore, but that urge to relieve himself of dinner still hung on.  When Thera mentioned breakfast, Jasine did have to and he dashed away into the bushes without a care for the trail he was leaving or the damage he might have done that would leave trace of their site.  In fact, anything related to Wilderness Survival was driven from his mind, but at least he managed to make it out of sight before he had to relieve himself of what was left of last night's dinner.  Sicking up had made his head throb worse and he detoured to the stream to wash his mouth and face before returning to camp.

When he got there, his face was a brilliant crimson that had a lot more to do with embarrassment than it did any illness caused by the mushrooms.  He'd missed everything Thera had said after the word breakfast, but he felt much better now.  His head was still throbbing fiercely, but that was not nearly as bad as how his stomach had felt.  He pressed his hand against the back of his skull and groaned, mumbling something about not feeling well with another flush of pink through his cheeks.  Light, what kind of Warder would he be vomiting all over the place and distracted by his head trying to crack open.

"Pardon, Mistress.  What were you saying?"  Thera's smile was sympathetic, but more than a little amused.  After she repeated her offer of something to make them feel better he nodded slowly, trying not to jostle his head too much.  He had gotten sick with an infection and fever that had nearly killed him on his ride from home to Tar Valon, but Thera's amusement made him feel relieved.  Perhaps he wasn't going to die today after all.

After dinner Mistress Thera had shown them all how to make shelters.  Perivar had eaten his share and then some of their meal though now his stomach felt queasy.  At first he thought he had just eaten too much though after having to excuse himself several times to empty his stomach he knew it was more than that.  It must have been something that he ate that didn't agree with him.  Looking at the others he realized that he was not the only one. 

Perivar walked down to the stream to clean up.  He washed his face then rinsed out his mouth.  When he returned to camp he scrubbed his teeth with salt and soda.  His stomach still churned yet for the time being he no longer sicked up.  The queasy feeling made him want to though he was convinced there was nothing left in his stomach.  Now he had a pounding headache to go along with his sour stomach.

Much to his dismay he had pulled second watch.  Normally he would not mind, he would actually jump at the chance though the way he felt right now he was not in the mood for anything.  Perivar tried to get some sleep though his stomach and head would not allow him so he just sat there near the fire looking like death.

Perivar went to relieve Mistress Thera to take over the watch though she waved him away.  He insisted that he was fine though she sent him away saying that she was not tired.  He returned back to lay near the fire wrapping himself in his blanket as if it was winter.  As much as he had tried sleep had eluded him.  He nodded off here and there though only for a short time before his stomach and head woke him.

When the others woke Mistress Thera assigned duties for breakfast.  Perivar was happy to be doing something though he announced that he would skip breakfast.  Perhaps he would not eat for as long as he lived.  The thought of tea sounded good.  The morning light made him wince, his head was throbbing from the strain it put on his eyes.

Melenis woke up to her crying innards as well. With the amount of trouble her stomach was giving her, there was no way she'd be able to fall asleep again and so she decided to get dressed and see who else was up. At the mention of breakfast, she could almost feel something twitch inside of her, and broke out in cold sweat.

Not wanting to sick up and destroy their chances of hiding their traces of having camped here, she wrapped herself in the Void, closing her eyes for that extra bit of concentration. She felt relieved that she did, because when she noticed Jasine darting off towards the bushes the Void shook and heaved along with him, but fortunately it still held.

- "Mistress Thera... That would be... most welcome."

There was something about the way she casually brought it up that made her suspect the woman knew more of this, though she was in no condition -- both in rank and health -- to interrogate her about it. That, and the offer for something that would make her feel better meant she'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

Melenis

Heal plz

Arath woke up misrable; he was achy and felt like emptying his stomach. Not wanting to make a mess, Arath breathed in and out deeply and slowly. He noticed that Jasine didn't succeed in his efforts, and Melenis said everything that needed to be said. Feeling very queezy Arath quickly took the medicine that the Mistress offered. She explained to them the cause of their illness as well as the plant from which the medicine originated.

Feeling a burning in his cheeks, Arath knew he was bright red. Light! It had been him that poisoned everyone! Feeling mortified, Arath spoke, his voice full of embarisement. "Uhh... Mistress Thera... perhaps you could show us which mushrooms are poisonous... so we can avoid future mistakes?" Light! He was the only one to screw up in his job; everyone else had done wonderfully!

Thera watched with a grimace as Jasine fled into the surrounding trees to lose his dinner. It was not a pleasant sound to listen to, but it was far better than what he was experiencing. Lain out on the ground in front of her were several different types of mushrooms, including some of the ones that had caused this sickness. “Gather around every one.” With them all huddled around her Thera pointed out the different types of mushrooms and the ones that were dangerous and should be avoided. “While none of these will kill you, they can have rather..nasty side effects. You are all very fortunate that I also have a cure.”

From her belt pouch she pulled a several small packets of herbs and handed them around. “Take these and you’ll be feeling better in no time.” Glancing up at the sky she saw that the sun was already beginning to climb over the trees. “I don’t have time to show you how to make the medicine now, but I will go over it tonight. Now hop to it. We needed to be on the move half an hour ago”

Surprisingly after breakfast the camp came down fairly quick. It was always easier to dismantle than it was to set to set up. While they rode Thera spoke about the importance of scouting not only what lay ahead, but what was behind. “I know this is only training, but I want you to think of it as if we are truly being followed. Tonight you will all pick the camp, assign the duties, set the watch and I want you to start scouting ahead and behind. Pretend as if I am not here.”

It was going to make an interesting day watching them flounder and seeing if they could work out who was to do what without a fight.

Melenis nodded, feeling more than a little relieved that the medicine was indeed doing its best in breaking down the poison in her body. She listened to Thera's assignment, and looked around, taking in the terrain they were in.

- "...Cutting back and forth should help to throw them off our track. The main thing to worry about is how to make sure the scouts will be able to find the group again without leading them straight to us."

It was still a bit hard to think, but she guessed it would only be an hour at most before the aftereffects of dinner would be fully out of her system. Jasine likely a bit earlier, as the remnants of dinner had left him in a much quicker way. But as it was, she still had some trouble with the more intricate plans herself, and was certain there would be one or two things she had overlooked. Maybe one of the other trainees would chip in as well?

Melenis

Almost detoxified

Arath was feeling much better as Mistress Thera's medice began kicking in. As they made their way to their horses, Mistress Thera explained the rules to them, and Arath thought of what they could do. Arath listened to Melenis' advice, thought of how to fix the glaring problem. "Well... perhaps we could make some sort of track for them to follow... like a slash on the bottom of a tree... but I don't know if that's too obvious.

"Maybe we should just drop the zig-zagging and just set the watch. Have a rotation where one person scouts ahead and another scouts behind. If you see anything suspicious then they go back to the group and inform them." Arath didn't know much about surviving in the wilderness, but he had learned a little bit about situations like these. Arath shot a glance towards Mistress Thera to see if he said the right thing, but she was stubbornly silent.

No one else seemed to be volunteering any information so Arath continued. "Also, perhaps the forward scout can look for a good campsite and when it is close to dark, they stop there and wait for the main group and the rear scout. That will save us some time, and he, or she, can begin setting up camp. Then, the rear scout for the day will tend to the horses, so that the others can go right into their duties." Arath was impressed at his own craftiness, for if they decided to go with this plan, it was much more efficiant than they had been the first night.

Melenis thought for a moment as Perivar voiced his own ideas. She waited until he had finished speaking before making comments of her own though, because even though she didn't agree with a part of it, his idea to have the forward scout check for camping locations was a good one indeed.

- "Hmm... The problem with not zigzagging though is that your tracks would become predictable, making it easier for them to set up an ambush further ahead. I like the idea of a forward scout though, and maybe the rear guard could help hide our tracks as well..."

She kept on thinking for a moment longer. Zigzagging was pretty much inevitable to shake off pursuers, given that they'd lose valuable time with every missed turn, forcing them to back up and find the trail again. The problem however was how to not shake off their own scouts in the process.

- "...Maybe we could plan checkpoints between the scouts and the party, where the forward scout decides on the next checkpoint, the rear scout reports if anyone's following and the main group just keeps zigzagging randomly?"

Just then, a sudden thought hit her. They could be making plans all day, but there was one decisive factor that would have a large influence on whether the plan they'd ultimately decide on would even stand a chance at working. She turned to Jasine.

- "Jasine, you know the most about horses. Will they be able to keep up with constantly scouting, or would it be better to swap horses often and have them rest while in the main group?"

It sounded almost weird to not involve Thera -- she assumed the Mistress of Trainees was far more knowledgeable in horsemanship than the lot of them put together -- in the conversation. Still, that had been her order to them, and of the Trainees, there was no doubt which of them had the best eye for horses.

Melenis

Knows TRUE horsepower doesn't come from batteries

((OOC: No Kynwric or Loraine, that's the other thread! :) ))

He'd recovered himself some and had even managed to eat some breakfast.  Thera's medicine had started to help almost immediately and when it came time to discuss the serious stuff and their actual mission up here, he was more or less well.  Astride his mount again, once more with the leads to the pack horses in hand, the familiar motions of riding at a walk seemed to be settling his stomach further.

Jasine thought a moment about everything they had said before speaking.  "Won't be a problem for the scout horses to keep up, we won't be galloping across the woods anyway, it's not safe to gallop in unknown terrain.  Most we could do was a trot, and it wouldn't take but a few short periods of cantering to catch up to that.  The horses have the stamina, particularly if we drop down and walk alongside them periodically so they can rest."

He looked around them at where they had ridden the horses into the trees. "This many animals, it won't be easy to hide a trail effectively unless we ride on stone or through the water.  Riding through the water is a great way to hide tracks, but it's taxing on the horses, even if it's no deeper than fetlock." He motioned Brownie's ankle bone with his booted toe to point out what a fetlock was.  "If we're not trying to cover a whole lot of ground each day, that's a possibility.  Following the river has advantages and drawbacks, though.  It means we'll be able to find water at our rest site, and the scout will know that to catch up with us all they have to do is follow the river until they find us.  But that's obvious for pursuers as well, and if we get to the river head, if it comes from a spring and not from a mountain somewhere, then we'd be right back to where we are now, not knowing how to proceed.

"Scouts are always people good at tracking, which all of us will be able to do before too long, but I don't know if any of us have the skills to track well enough right now to not get lost from the group.  Brownie's a good boy, he's trained well for nigh anything, but he's never been trained to be careful about where he steps to not leave a trail.  If the horses were bonded better to each other, and there weren't so many stallions in the group, then I'd have said the horses would be able to find each other if they were separated." He paused a moment to give the insistent Gelding a pat.  "But the dynamic with these horses, I couldn't really say that they'd want to find anything.  I don't know if we can lose pursuers with our levels of skill, we'd just have to be diligent with our scouting and watches and hope to be expecting them if they catch up to us."

He'd said a lot of stuff, but as he went over it again in his mind, he wasn't all that sure what it would amount to as far as usefulness.  Alone among them, Perivar was the only one who had been in an actual campaign before and he turned to the borderlander, hoping for a more experienced voice.

Perivar had listened to the points that the others had made.  He ran each one through his mind though had not yet spoken his thoughts aloud.  He was happy that the herbs Mistress Thera had given them seemed to be working.  It wasn't until Jasine looked his way that he spoke.

"Zigzagging is effective if you are not pressed for time, the advatages are numerous as you all have mentioned.  As far as scouts it is simple.  You hold your course until both scouts return, once we are all together we can change course so that each scout knows the new direction."

"As far as not leaving a trail, well that is pretty difficult when you are mounted.  It is much easier afoot though that is not possible.  As Jasine mentioned their are benefits and drawbacks to using water.  If we use the water for a short distance they will still eventually find our trail on the banks when we exit the water.  If their party is 4 or more which we have to assume then it will not take long for then to pick up our trail as they will sen done person in each direction on each side of the bank."

"One way to confuse them is to double back in arcs enough to come behind them.  We would cross paths as much as to confuse our trail though that is not feasible if we are trying to reach a destination quickly."

"Jasine knows best regarding the horses so I will not speak on that.  I know enough of tracking that I can scout to the rear and still find you.  I dare say that if we are hiding it will mean no fire."   He said that with a frown kicking at teh dirt.  A fire was a nice luxury that they could not afford.

OOC: Forgive me, but I thought that we needed to actually come to an agreement, one line fixes everything, doesn't it?

IC: Finally coming to an agreement, the party finally came to a decision and resumed their journey. It was very tiring, being constantly on guard, but they learned a lot from Mistress Thera. She showed them how to make that medicine that she had given them, as well as how to recognize it growing. Apparently you had to be careful because there was a similar plant that would make you even more sick! Arath learned more than just about plants though, he learned about keeping watch, and he got much better at riding a horse. After becoming very saddle-sore it became a question of being misrable or learning how to ride correctly. He was by no means an expert, but no one would believe that he was the same person riding the horse.

Arath also got much better at identifying mushrooms. The group didn't give him that job in the beginning (for obvious reasons) but he learned quickly to be careful. He also learned how to make a fire without flint, and how to catch fish without a pole (although he couldn't catch one with a rod anyway). Arath was more than satisfied by improvement he had made, and he couldn't imagine how much better he would get by the end. The hardest job for him to do was tending to the horses. Mistress Thera made them sit down and take a lesson from Jasine after it hadn't been done correctly one time. Horses were live creatures with attitudes and mean kicks that you didn't want to get on the wrong end of. Eventually Arath learned to do the job sufficiently though (although Jasine would always go back and take care of his own horse, regardless of who was tending to the Horses that day).

Thera rode among the group, always close enough to hear their conversation, but too far to be truly a part of them. With her there they may not truly act as they would if she were not, but this was the best way to judge.

It was good to see that no arguments had broken out; though she hardly expected it from this group. They fed off each well and always seemed willing to take advice. With some groups it was not always so. Perivar had been a natural choice to assume the lead, had she given the assignment to anyone it would have been him. She was happy to see that he was stepping out on his own, without a push.

As they formed a plan and put it into action there were a few hitches, but when they camped that night everything went up efficiently. Pulling Perivar off to the side she spoke to him quietly and complemented his leadership skills. Though she had found a reason in all of them to be proud that day. Joining them all around the small well hidden fire she spoke to them all for the first time in what had felt like days.

“You all did wonderfully today. I am very proud of each and everyone of you and I hope tomorrow will run just as smooth. A day from now will see the beginning of your test, so use the time we have before them to learn from each other. You all have so much to offer and a different set of skills.” She smiled. “The direction I begin to lead you tomorrow will be like nothing you have seen so far. Good camp sites are few, hunting is sparse and so is good clean water.” Her eyes scanned until they locked on Perivar. He likely knew the place she intended. “When we reach our final destination we will all make our camps separately, but with in sight of each other. Before you can sleep that night I will be grading you on how well you have done.”

What she did not tell them was that during the night, while they slept she would slip away and be waiting by the clearing where they first stopped. Those two days she would spend scouting back and checking for signs of their progress and barely sleeping out of fear for them. It was not a dangerous place, but in such an uncertain time anything was possible.

As the days passed, Melenis was starting to feel more and more uncomfortable. Being from the south, she had considered the climate at the Yards to be fresh in general, but the Borderlands were worse. Much worse. Despite her intentions to hide it, she felt as if she was freezing at night, when the temperature dropped even lower than during the day.

The closer they got to their destination, the less Melenis talked, keeping her mouth clamped shut to keep her teeth from chattering. She could feel herself tense up more often now, despite wearing nearly half the clothes she had packed at once. Every time, she asked herself how the temperature could possibly drop even lower, and every time it did just that, causing her to creep closer to the campfire for warmth.

She didn't mind survival training, she had gone camping with her grandfather a number of times. Even though she had at first been thrilled to find out just what country he had come from before ending up in Far Madding, she just couldn't see how anyone could survive living in the biting cold wind that currently plagued her face. Another shiver went down her spine before she could stop it, but she was still intent on not showing any signs of discomfort to the others. This was nothing. Really, it wasn't! No reason at all to bother the others with!

Melenis

What's with this Light-forsaken cold?

Arath fought back a smile at the praise, for he didn't want to look like he lacked humility. Moving along, they made camp swiftly, because they were so used to working together. Arath slept well that night, for he was proud of his progress. There was no denying that it was cold, however, and Arath shivered under his blankets. The next day they awoke and broke down camp easily, before heading on their way. Arath noticed that it was getting colder and colder as they went, but he tried to convince himself that it wasn't actually cold. He made a mental note to bring warm clothing the next time he went to the borderlands.

The only thing that made Arath nervous was that on the last night they would be setting up camp all by themselves. Sure, he knew how to do everything individually, but they had finally set into a comfortable rhythm and until he thought about it, Arath didn't realize just how much they were all relying on eachother. It was so much easier to go fishing if you knew that there would be a fire waiting for you, and that your horses would be tended to. Arath was a little uncomfortable with the thought having all the responcibilities.

The days passed and Arath found that it was getting really, really cold. He had grown up in Caemlyn, where it was neither too hot or too cold, and was only used to this kind of chill in the middle of winter. Arath found himself wrapped up in the Void most of the time to avoid chattering and shaking. Finally, the day had come where they had reached their destination, and were on their own. Luckily, Arath was still in the Void, so he didn't let his hesitation bother him. He had learned well in their journey and could preform each of the tasks at least sufficiantly. He made his own camp, and his own fire, and found his own food. One benefit was that although he had to do each of the chores, most of them were lessened. He only had to take care of one horse, he only had to make shelter for himself, and he only had to find enough food for himself. Finishing his tasks, Arath ate his dinner and waited for the Mistress to score him.

When the time came for each of them to set up their own camps, Jasine had offered to take care of the pack horses.  Since he was the one who was best with horses, it would be the least hardship on him, and that seemed fair.  Perivar's sense of honor made him step up and request one of the two pack horses, and the gesture made Jasine smile.  Jasine tended to the two horses first, hobbling them to graze nearby.  He gathered to wood for fire and rocks for the firepit before he went to fish, but didn't light the fire.  He didn't want the fire burning while he wasn't close by to watch it.  Jasine didn't excel at fishing, but with a sharpened stick and almost an hour of time, he managed to spear two small fish that together would suffice to feed him.  He wondered what Thera was doing for dinner tonight if she wasn't going to make a camp for herself.  He spitted the fish on two sticks he sharpened with his belt knife, driving the blunt ends of the sticks into the ground so that the fish would be suspended over the heat of the flames.  With a nod, he then made his firebow and set to work making the fire.

This trip had only made Jasine more fond and proud of his fellow trainees.  As he set the fish to cooking, he thought about each of them and how well their individual strengths complimented each other.  Melenis was quick-thinking and honest.  Perivar was honorable and hard working.  Arath was quick and innovative, and made up for his lack of experience with a willingness to learn quickly.  He sat there musing until a whiff of unpleasant smell came to his nose and he leaped forward, dropping to his knees beside his fire.  They two fish, burnt cleanly on one side and barely warm on the other, had suffered from his wandering attention.  He pulled up the two stick, burning his hand in the process, and hopped back from the fire as if that would save them.  Blowing on the fish to cool them, he put his injured hand into the bucket filled with cool water from the river.  The water drew out the heat and it started to feel better almost immediately.  He sighed gratefully, perhaps he was not so badly burned after all.  He ate the fish as he cooled his hand, certainly not the tastiest he had ever eaten, but sustenance none the less. 

When he set about making his shelter, he ended up having to use a length of vine to tie together the branches he had used to form his hut.  It was lopsided and not nearly as well-formed as the ones that he had made when the trainees were working together as a group, but as he added leafy boughs to it for cover, it held.  He spread the legs out a little more and it seemed a bit sturdier and he decided he was ready to rest and wait for Thera.  He checked on the horses one last time and led them each to the stream for water before settling down within his hut.  He wondered if he should douse his fire, he normally would before going to bed, but the wood was burning low already and he relished the heat.  He took a look at his hand by the wan light and it was an angry red on one side of his palm but there was no blistering.  By tomorrow, it would probably only hurt lightly and in three or four days it should be healed. 

Perivar was appreciative of Mistress THera's compliments though he felt uncomfortable with the praise.  It was no different than Jasine's knowledge of horses and their care.  It was a product of his upbringing though he was uncomfortbale about it.  It wasn't something that he spoke about or flaunted.  Perivar was no better than any of the other trainees, he was on the same level as them.  Here everyone was doing their part.

The next morning they got an early start, they pressed on making the best progress that they could.  Mistress Thera was not their when they woke, he was certain she was around but he couldn't say where.  If she was following him he had not fond her when he scouted their back trail.  He had a feeling that if she was she had followed their tracks exactly making it difficult to discern her horse's track.

When they had gone as far as they could for the day they broke up to make their individual camps.  Perivar took one of the packhorses even though Jasine said that he could handle it.  Jasine was much better at it than he but no reason he should be saddled with the responsibility of taking care of both.  If he was right about their destination then this would not be the only night that they camped alone.

Perivar setup his camp and got all his daily chores done.  It was much harder having to do everything by yourself though it was easier in the respect that you were only taking care of youself.  Before the sun set he scouted in the direction from where they had come.  Occasionally he found faint tracks though they were not easy to find.  He came to a stream and lost the track, it was too late in the day to look further.  He simply did not have enough time to check four directions.

Perivar turned to go then wheeled his horse in a tight circle.  He felt as if he was being watched and almost went for his weapon.  No he thought, it was best not to give away the fact that he had detected something.  Perivar casually dismounted then began checking Nightdancer's hooves.  He pulled something from his pouch and began digging at a stone in his hoof that wasn't there.  He rose scanning the area as he made as if he was checking his saddlebags.  He still had the feeling of being watched but he could not see anything.  He almost smiled thinking it was Mistress Thera though he suddenly realized that maybe it was not her.

Perivar hurried back to his camp then visited the others informing them of his findings.  He knew it would put them on edge though it was good to be on edge rather than complacent.  Perivar ate then hobbled Nightdancer near his shelter.  It was better to have him nearby in case he had to depart quickly.  Perivar had setup his shelter so that he could look outside while he sat concealed in the darkness leaning against the tree trunk.  Without a guard he decided to sleep as best he could leaning instead of laying down.

Sleep eventually overcame him though he woke everytime he heard a noise.  He had no idea as to the hour and forgot how many times that he woke.  His eyes opened at the sound of a footfall.  It sounded right outisde of his shelter though sound had a way of carrying at night.  He wasn't sure if it was Nightdancer, another animal or person.  He strained to listen though he did not hear another at first.  There it was again, he had no problem saying that he wished they were all camped together.  It was always better to have company though the fact that they were within souting distance was a consolation. 

Perivar quietly removed his sword from his scabbard crawling out of his shelter.  He stood there just outside his shelter scanning the area for the source of the sound... 

For two days they traveled north, drawing nearer to the Blight with every step. Thera kept quiet other than showing the directions and answering the few questions that passed her way. Four days outside of Tar Valon and already they were stretching their legs and showing independence. Thera had formed an attachment with these particular trainees, maybe more so than proper, and it hurt to know that in a few short months they would be raised to Tower Guards and her use would be at an end. All she could hope for was that they would remember her training and be able to count her as a friend. Smiling from within her hood Thera stole a glance at Jasine; he would surely not forget her.

On the evening of that second night Thera led BlueRose to a small stream just out of sight of the camps. It was there that she sat down and wrote the note that they would find in the morning.

To all my trainees-

It is time for your final test. I have left you to find your own way back to the clearing where we stopped to pick our first camp site. Work together and remember every thing that you have been taught. I have the upmost confidence that I will be seeing your smiling faces again very soon. Good Luck!

With the Light,

Thera Trakelyn

There was so much more to say and yet she said all that she could. Folding the note Thera stuffed it into her pocket for later. Almost an hour had passed while she’d stared at that paper trying to think of exactly the right words, she could only hope that it was enough. Making no real attempt at stealth she made her way through the underbrush towards the smells of cooking. As she emerged from the trees Thera was greeted with a sword point that she casually stepped around. “Really Perivar I would have thought you knew better.” Making a quick circuit of his camp she found everything in order and made only one suggestion; more a taunt really. “Next time be a little quicker with that blade” Arath’s camp was much the same, and Thera was happy to see that he had not sworn off mushrooms all together. A few graced the coals of his fire, left over from dinner. Melenis who had been quiet this trip seemed to have taken Thera’s lessons to heart. Her shelter was set facing the East to catch the rising sun. “Very good Melenis”  In the cold that still lingered she would catch what heat there was from the sun. Jasine’s camp was laid on in precise order and his horses looked perfect as always. Only as she was leaving Thera notice the small burn on his hand that he’d been trying to conceal. Pulling a smile vile from her pouch she emptied the cream onto his hand and slowly massaged it into the vicious red burn. “This shouldn’t hurt too badly, though you might feel a slight tingle when it starts soaks in.” Giving him a passing mark, just as the others had received Thera headed back out into the night.

She waited three hours until full dark had fallen, before picking her way quietly back to the camps. With her color shifting cloak around her shoulders Thera was a ghost in the night as she laid the note next to Arath’s saddle bags. It should be found before the camps were struck and anyone could panic too far over her absence. With the same silence, Thera crept silently to where Jasine lay wrapped in his clock. As quietly as she could manage she removed the hobbles from the pack horse’s legs and strapped the belongings to his back. He made more noise than she could have liked, causing her to take the long way around the camps and back to where BlueRose waited.

Alone it would take her a shorter time to reach their meeting point and would allow her time to set up the surprise she’d planned, and have time to scout for their coming. Confident as she was in their abilities she did not think she would really feel safe until they were all back with her again.

When Arath awoke the next morning, he found himself quickly disasembling camp like normal. He burried the remains of his meal, dismantled his shelter, scattered the remains, and smoothed out his lodgings. When he made it to his saddlebags, however, he found a piece of parchment. Unfolding it, Arath read the message. Shocked, he read it again, and again a few times. He had to look around for Mistress Thera just to make sure that it was indeed true, and although he wasn't suprised to find her missing, he was a little nervous. Thera hadn't helped them very much later on in their trip, but she was always around, at least.

Getting ready, Arath quickly informed the others of her departure, and then finished his preparations. The note must have been passed around twenty times between the trainees and although they all shared Arath's nervousness, they also weren't very worried. Quickly proceeding like normal, the quartet resumed their journey, this time going the opposite direction. Perivar continued to scout behind them, and they trotted along. The first day was tense, for they were all jumping at shadows. Suddenly, the Mistress wasn't there watching over them, and it was a scary experience for Arath. His entire time in the Yards had been spent taking orders, and it was hard to proceed without anyone telling him what to do.

It took only a day for Arath to realize that he had already learned what to do, and that he didn't have to do anything differently. Travel still proceeded the same way, they stopped and set up camp the same way (this time together), they ate the same way, and they slept the same way. The next day started without any of the nervousness that had accompanied the previous, and they began their return to Tar Valon. That day and the third day went easily, and by the end of the third, they all met up with Mistress Thera, only to find a suprise awaiting them.

Jasine tried to make light of Mistress Thera not being with them any longer. "Well, at least there are fewer horses to tend to now!"  He was not surprised at how easily they worked together even without Mistress Thera there watching over them and guiding them.  They all had things they were best at and while they each took their turns at doing different tasks so that they would be skilled at when they were on their own, they learned from each others' expertise.  Long before they caught up with Thera, Jasine had taught each of the other trainees just about everything they could need to know for the basic caring of animals, and Arath and Melenis had improved their skills at riding considerably.  Melenis still didn't exactly look as if she loved the experience, and whenever Jasine called for them to dismount and walk alongside the horses he could see that they girl looked relieved and more relaxed on her own two feet.

Jasine was on point as they approached the clearing where they had made camp that first time.  He still wasn't as good at scouting as Perivar, but Perivar was much better at hiding their tracks behind them.  He was within sight of Melenis and she in sight of Talavin; Jasine had discovered it was easier to leave less trace if the horses were spread out a little.

He was relaxed and looking forward to seeing Thera again, this was the longest he had gone without seeing her in the entire time he'd been in the yards, and even he was a little surprised at how much he had missed her.  It was why he had asked for the duty of scouting ahead.  He had wanted to catch sight of her before the others, and enjoy for just a moment being alone with her, even if it was for nothing more than a smile.

Perivar heard another step, he pivoted flashing his blade out in front of him so that the point rested inches from the source of the noise...Mistress Thera light not again though she would have scolded him for not doing so since he had no idea that it was her.  She casually walked around the blade as if it were not there.

“Really Perivar I would have thought you knew better.” His cheeks reddened, light not again he thought.  He could still remember his first encounter with her that left him mucking the stalls and the privy.  She made a quick circuit of his camp before making a comment, more a taunt really. “Next time be a little quicker with that blade”  With red cheeks he frowned then laughed out loud at the comment.  The more he had come to know her the more he liked and respected her.  She could rip you apart one minute and have you in stitches the next. 

In the morning they found the packhorses gone and the only sign of Mistress Thera was a note.

To all my trainees-

It is time for your final test. I have left you to find your own way back to the clearing where we stopped to pick our first camp site. Work together and remember every thing that you have been taught. I have the upmost confidence that I will be seeing your smiling faces again very soon. Good Luck!

With the Light,

Thera Trakelyn

At that moment he wondered if she was watching them, watching to see their reactions.  Subsonsciously he scanned the area as if he would be able to see her.  He had to admit he truly did miss her presence.

They all came together teaching each other what they knew.  They also had fear to drive them, it was about survival.  There were no packhorses with emergency rations.  Periodically he would drop back scouting their backtrail and trying to cover it which was no easy task.

Perivar knew they were nearing their destination.  He was dismayed that he had not caught sight or sign of Mistress Thera's presence.  He knew she would show herself eventually, where and when was the question.

Melenis looked at the note as it was passed along the others. While it was true that she had become increasingly quiet as the days went on, it also served a different purpose, that of hiding her hoarse voice. Having effectively reached the limit of pieces of clothing she could wear, she tried to find additional warmth wherever she could gather some, stifling an occasional cough so as not to let the others know. As she recieved a compliment for the positioning of her tent opening, she simply smiled and nodded as she sat near the fire, not looking up from the flames for long.

The day she had intended to bring up her deteriorating health was the day Thera had left them the note. Figuring it couldn't be helped, she kept acting as if she was fine, though a little under the weather, not wanting to have them worry about her in addition to completing their final test. Besides, Thera would throw a fit if she spotted her on a stretcher. She almost laughed at the mental image, but was stopped short by more coughing, which she blamed on a slight cold.

She assumed the Void during every daylight hour now, keeping herself from overlooking a sign, or losing sight of the others. She was glad for every hour spent walking though, at least the movement would warm her up a bit though her head still felt as if it was filled with wool. But that was all outside of the Void, and her stamina was starting to deteriorate as well. She was breathing heavily now by the time the signal to remount was given more often that not, and she feverishly kept scanning the area for signs of that first camping site while trying to retain her outside composure.

As she noticed some signs that told her they were close, she couldn't help but give a relieved sigh. The intake of cold air caused another fit of coughing, which she only managed to stop short by holding her breath while it lasted. Spitting to the side, she caught sight of something yellow, but the thought was gone before she could grasp it. Her throat hurt, her chest felt like there was a weight pressing on it and she could hardly recall anything save for her immediate surroundings, but for now, she'd persevere, wishing the heat from her forehead would at least do her a favor and spread to the rest of her body. She -- They -- were almost there now, and Thera would have something to cure her. She had so far, she'd have a cure now. She had to.

Melenis

Pulmonitis sucks

For three days she chewed her nails and tossed in her blankets when she tried to sleep. Thera’s early scouting showed signs that they were all on their way towards her, but as the hours and days wore on she grew worried. Only the surprise she’d planned kept her mind from worrying at every waking hour.

In the last day her hunting had gone well, she had several rabbits and three large fish to add to the food she’d already prepared. Four different fires roared, bathing the clearing in light and warmth. Just outside the fire’s reach were three tents complete with extra blankets and to make sure they all went to sleep warm; a small flask of brandy. This small party was not standard to end the test, but with this group it seemed fitting.

The sun was just falling behind the trees when Thera heard the sound of hooves, and the faint crunch of boots. On her feet in a flash she stood at the edge of the clearing with her sharp eyes scanning the woods for the first sign. Just to her right emerged Jasine and Thera released a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding. From the quiet that followed him, he was the forward scout. Her eyes drank in the sight of him, memorizing every inch. Then with a smile she threw her arms around him and whispered fiercely in his ear. “Thank the Light, I was so worried for you” Pushing him to arms length she looked him up and down and when she was content that he was not hurt she kissed him; A kiss that lasted a lifetime and was over all too soon.

Taking Brownie’s reigns she lead him to where BlueRose was hobbled. “And the others? They are just behind?” Answering her summons Arath, Perivar, and Melenis emerged from the woods. Dropping the horses’ reigns Thera sprinted to the clearing to great the new arrivals. Much to the surprise of the boys she wrapped her arms around each of them in a friendly embrace. “It is so good to see all your faces again!” Wrapping an arm around Melenis’ shoulders she led her a little aside. “You look a little ill. A cold? Or a cough?” She shook her head ruefully and gave the girls’ back a pat. “You’d have done better if you had worn a few less clothes.” Retrieving a small packet from her saddle bags she pressed it into her hands. “This is not a cure, but it will do until a Sister can look at you.”

Walking back to the fires with a smile she began serving the food and pulled out her flask, taking a long swig. “Eat, Drink and Enjoy the night, you have all passed. The journey home will be easy and we can rest here a day if you require.”

Settling between Perivar and Jasine she asked about how things had gone without her, and if any problems had arisen, but mainly she just talked with her “friends”.

Arath couldn't keep the suprised gape off of his face when he looked around and saw the campsite. There were four roaring fire, looking cozy and warm. Light! Beyond the fires were tents- actual tents- which appeared to have blankets inside of them. Arath couldn't wait to try out those tents! Also, it seemed that the Mistress had a feast prepared for them, for there were rabits and fish already skinned and prepared.

To his imense suprise, Thera came up to him and thew her arms around him. Blinking, Arath numbly rose his arms to hug her back, but she had already pulled back and gone to Perivar. Light! That was the first time he had ever been hugged by the Mistress... Arath didn't even think that she knew how to hug people! She wasn't cruel, but she was definately a very, very harsh taskmaster. She would hug you with bare arms of steel and kiss you with barked words of advice. Apparently she missed them because this was the warmest Arath had ever seen the woman.

Arath blinked at her words... passed? Light, he had passed, hadn't he? When he first started the journey, Arath didn't think that he was capable of actually passing (perhaps dying somewhere in the woods, but not passing!). After he had eaten as much deliciously warm meat as he could, Arath retired to his tent, and found the flask of brandy next to his bedding. Sighing with pleasure, Arath downed the brandy and had plesent dreams that night.

The next morning the group decided to leave, so that Melenis could see the Yellows as soon as possible. After a days ride, they found themselves crossing the river to Tar Valon. Arath felt an imense feeling of returning home. It was odd, he used to think of Tar Valon as just a place that he was staying, but now he felt like the City was his home, and that he finally belonged there. With a smile on his face, Arath walked through the City with his companions, and up to the Tower. He knew that he wasn't the greatest expert on surviving in the wilderness, but he felt like he had accomplished a lot over the course of the trip.

From the hug she had given Melenis, Thera would have noticed something wrong in that the return hug was too light for comfort. Melenis just looked at the small packet in her hands for a few seconds before she put it away, and dismounted from her horse. It was only a deathgrip on the pommel of the saddle that kept her from falling flat on her face. Walking back to Thera for a moment, she whispered something to her, though from the hoarseness of her voice it would be apparent that whispering was all she was capable of at that time. Perhaps it would be for the better, she didn't want the others to think it was anything but a bad cold.

- "Mistress Thera, could i have a word please?"

Before waiting for the answer though, she gave the Mistress of Trainees a friendly pat on the back to hide what she had said, before heading towards one of the tents. Once inside, she all but collapsed on the tent floor before crawling to the blanketroll there, and wrapping that around herself as well. She had her knees pulled up to her body, unable to control both the shivers and the coughing at the same time. Her gaze was fixed on the tent entrance, waiting for Thera to show as soon as she was able. The high fever and throbbing head were drowning out her senses, but she managed to keep enough focus to remain awake.

Melenis

Waiting for Thera