DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Farseer Series

RAND AL THOR

I thought the first book was excellent, the second one was okay and the third one let the side down. It was far too long. The trilogy has a fairly straightforward through-line of storytelling, but Hobb padded the third book out far too much.

Annoyingly she did exactly the same thing with the second series set in the same world, The Liveship Traders: excellent characters, intriguing plot and a good narrative, but the story just kept getting more and more drawn out and hundreds of pages would fly past with nothing happening.

After going through that twice, I refused to read the third series, The Tawny Man. She can write and she's got a lot of talent, but needs better editing.

I did think her short story set in the same universe published in Legends II was excellent, and I'm looking forward to her new historical story about Carthage (to be published in next year's anthology Warriors, along with new stories by Neil Gaiman, Tad Williams and a new ASoIaF story by George RR Martin).

The Farseer Series was okay. Not amazing, but okay. I haven't read The Liveship Traders but the Tawny Man was MUCH better. I enjoyed that much more- it was much more captivating and the style of writing was much better too. It was a real progression and I liked it a lot.  :) Much better than the first Trilogy.

I really liked both the Farseer and the Tawny Man trilogies, especially the Tawny man, which is one of my favourite series after ASOIAF and WOT (Well, together with JV Jones).

Have yet to read the Liveship Traders though.

I was disappointed that the name of the main character was undetermined. First time ever that I came across something like that.

Can someone tell me if the Tawny series has a similar setting to the Farseer? Are all 3 series linked to the same world or are they completely separate series with no connection whatsoever?

All three trilogies are linked. I enjoyed all three of them. My favourite being the Liveship Traders. I didn't find dhe dragged them on a bit, I enjoyed them. I also read them in order...Farseer, Liveship then Tawny man.

All three trilogies are linked. I enjoyed all three of them. My favourite being the Liveship Traders. I didn't find dhe dragged them on a bit, I enjoyed them. I also read them in order...Farseer, Liveship then Tawny man.

Linked ? YAY! Do we have some of the same characters? Or all new cast?

I had no idea that the three trilogies themselves were supposed to be read in a certain order! thanks Talya! Luckily I started with the farseer.

The Fool from Farseer is in all three.  In fact, he is the "tawny man" of the third series.  That one focuses on the relationship betweem him and Fitz.

Some of the Liveship people make a cameo in Tawny Man BTW

• 10 months later...

Robin Hobb's books, in my opinion, are an awesome read. Like Kaznen said The Tawney Man trilogy shows a lot more of the background behind The Farseer trilogy and it makes a lot more sense if you've read it. Just my two cents worth.

Archived