DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I Hate Min...WoT about you?

Kaliara

Helpful in more ways than one  ;) :P

Mat annoyed me in the first half of the series as well, but after he was hanged in book 5 he changed and I started liking him.  By the time I finished KoD I loved him ^^

As for Min, she's just stubborn, but she is such a great support for Rand, without her he would not be alive... not really alive anyway, he would not feel ANYTHING, and he's already having enough trouble with that without her being gone... And she's actually intelligent... probably from all those books of Herid Fel's that she reads ;)

Mat annoyed me in the first half of the series as well, but after he was hanged in book 5 he changed and I started liking him.  By the time I finished KoD I loved him

Actually he was hanged in Book 4 and he was much the same afterwards. He even tried to escape Rand yet again in book 5. The changes came about at the end of Book 5 when Rand confronted him and told him how much he needed all the stuff in Rand's head. Mat takes on responsibility in Book 6 and onwards. ;D

I think I can count on one hand the number of people who hate mat.  Kaliara, could you explain why you hate mat?  Mat is really funny and he does take on responsibility, like in the Stone of Tear but he does it in his own time.  I think he would use his memories for good eventually but Rand could not wait.

I think he would use his memories for good eventually but Rand could not wait.

He is doing so already.

But without that scene where Rand explained to Mat about his need for Mat's memories, I very much doubt that Mat would have much of a storyline now at all. He wouldn't have wanted to get mixed up with the Dragon Reborn. After all, saving the world is the job of the Dragon, right? Rand is the bloody DR, it has nothing to do with him... etc etc...thats what he thought.

Without Rand's confrontation, he would very likely not have taken charge as he did. 8)

As for Min, she's just stubborn,

...and? Every last character would be the most stubborn person I have ever met. ::) In fact, I'd say she's among the LEAST stubborn characters. Oh she'll put her foot down every now and then, but oftentimes she is justified in being stubborn in those situations, and more often than most characters she will allow her decision to be changed by someone else.

As for Mat I agree with Demandred. He DOES take responsibility, but not if the 'responsibility's is forced or bullied upon him by someone else and even then he sometimes does (like when Rand bullied him into helping him plan to beat Sammael). That is not something I can hate in him, because I'm the same. In fact, I don't think there is a person alive that truly LIKES it. If the person asks Mat nicely, or if Mat sees the need for responsibility by himself, he will take that burden upon himself. He did it in Book Three when he first lead Thom away from self-destruction and when he saved the girls, he did it in Book 4 when he followed Rand and the prophecy given to him, he did it in book 5 when he saved the Wetland troopers from being butchered by the Aiel, he did it with Olver, and he has done it with Nynaeve and Elayne on a few occasions and most recently with Tuon.

Min's stubborn and egocentric like everybody else in the series.  Sometimes that's good ( insisting that Rand be taken back to the Palace in Cairhien after Fain wounded him ) and sometimes that's bad ( insisting on going to the meeting with "Tuon" ).

Mat's gotten better, but he's still doing everything on an ad hoc basis.  He doesn't plan long-term.  He's still depriving Rand of the full benefit of all those memories.

They've both got a long way to go yet, and no time to get there.

One of my biggest fears is that this is going to turn into just another series where the good guys win through luck rather than clear thinking.

Mat certainly knows TG is coming.  He also knows that his head contains more military knowledge than anyone else's.

What's he done with that knowledge, so far?  Not much.  He helped with some of the initial planning for the assault on Illian.

From what we see, he hasn't given a single thought for the wider war to come.  He hasn't thought in any detail about anything beyond getting through the Molvaine Gap.

In short, he's still playing it entirely by ear.  The only progress has been a grudging admittance that he will have to play some part.

As for Min, she's just stubborn,

...and? Every last character would be the most stubborn person I have ever met. ::) In fact, I'd say she's among the LEAST stubborn characters. Oh she'll put her foot down every now and then, but oftentimes she is justified in being stubborn in those situations, and more often than most characters she will allow her decision to be changed by someone else.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I was refering more to why Min is hated.  But you are right, she is almost always justified when she's being stubborn, and it's a good thing she is otherwise there would be no counterweight for Rand's bullheaded logic.

I know this is supposed to be more about Min but the debate on Mat has been very fun. To clarify, I really like both characters mainly because both don't fit the 'normal' pattern (if there is anything 'normal)

Min does something that noone else does. Mat carries the wolfhead that no Aes Sedai has ever seen or heard of. Min doesn't think she is 'all and all' because she's a woman (Aes Sedai) and she read Fel's books to better herself or become more of a help to Rand after Fel's death. Mat has all these memories in his head that no one else has.

Concerning Mat and why he doesn't use his memories to help Rand. Mat is being himself. He never wanted to work in his life and for all of the battles he 'won' he was trying to stay away from the battles! You figure he's only early to mid twenties and even though Rand and Perrin have matured and taken on responsibility, they had started doing that before they left the two rivers. Mat on the other hand has just now started to grow up and so he needs the time possibly to save Moiraine to see how much a he can help and b how much he is needed. One things for sure he will come to the aid of his friends.

Well the Light is very bad at communication, Mat can't really plan anything if he doesn't know what they'll have.  All he knows for sure is that the Aiel, Cairhein, Tear, Illian and Andor? are behind him.  Now Elayne might quibble a little but I believe Andor will fall in line.  The rest of Randland he has no knowledge of, he has only recently attained rank in Seanchan.  Now he has no real knowledge of channeling forces but the Asha'Man are in chaos and Egwene despises Rand, blindingly hates the Seanchan(remember the climbing dream) and thinks Mat is a fool.  She and her forces will therefore probably have to be dragged kicking and screaming to fight alongside Rand.  So Mat could make some vague plans but he can't fill them in because he has no idea what he's working with.  And remember that scene in FoH where lan said after Mat left the tent that in a very short time Mat made the plan that Rhuarc and the other had probably taken awhile to make.

As the series wore on, the more tired I grew of Min.  The straw that broke the camel's back for me was her insistence of going to meet the Daughter of the Nine Moons.  Everyone was of the opinion that it was probably a trap, but she insisted on going.  There was, quite literally, no way she was indispensable to that meeting.  Her viewings would not say something to the effect of "She will betray you in five minutes" and had it been legit, then she would have had the opportunity to view her later on.  She cost Rand his hand and clouded his thinking when he needed as few distractions as possible.

As my brother put it: "I wanna go!  I'm useless!"