DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Feast of Crows

Kaznen

I've been reading Feast of Crows over the past few days.  And I gotta be honest, sorry you GRRM fans, I'm not loving it.

In a word BORING!

The last book ending with some exciting cliff hangers, THAT AREN'T MENTIONED in this book.

It's just Ceresi's whining conniving, Jaime's moping about his life, Breane's little quest, but none of the characters I really liked have much of a part in this book.

And the Freys aren't dieing by the dozen the way the last book made it look like would happen.

P.S. The tip 'o the hat to RJ was pretty cool.

Well only half of the characters are in AFFC- the rest with be in A Dance with Dragons are GRRM had to split the book in half as it got too long. So the cliff hangers from book 3 shall be dealt with there. I definately agree that it is the weakest in the series and I hope ADWD quickens the pace again  :)

In A Storm of Swords, representatives from 'House Jordayne of the Tor' are among the Dornish contingent surrounding Prince Oberyn. In A Feast for Crows it is also mentioned that 'Archmaester Rigney thought that time was a wheel, eternally turning and returning'. In The Sworn Sword the main female characters keeps absent-mindedly tugging on her braid and then going, "Ow!" a lot (because yanking your own hair out of your skull hurts, mysteriously ;) ).

I think RJ was plotting some kind of revenge for AMoL but never got round to it, sadly.

I heard about book 4 getting split into two.  So I purchased Crows and put it on the shelf until Dragons comes out.  Then just re-read the whole series.

Ya know, there's quite a bit of difference between A Feast of Crows and A Feast for Crows.

;D

Sorry the book was so dull I didn't care to remember the proper title.

Wow you've discouraged me quite a bit now. Thats the next book in the series im looking for! I'll still read it though.

Don't let you it put off. I agree with the rest, it's the weakest book in the series but its still worth a look imo. Most of the fans favourites fail to make an appearance, but the next book promises to be a corker. I've read a few of the chapters as they have appeared on the website and they are great. :)

No reason to feel discouraged. Sure, it is the weakest book in the series, but that does not mean it is a bad book. On the contrary, it is a quite good book. Just do not expect a huge battle every three chapters, and you will be fine.

It may be the weakest book in the series, but I don't think it lags too far behind the others in terms of quality. It is something of a comedown after all the high points of A Storm of Swords, but a necessary and not unwelcome one.

It is like a WoT book that just had chapters of Egwene and Elyane.  And not the KoD chapters either just the....

Egwene: I'm the smartest person there is, all others are complete morons....How dare Rand choose his own clothes!

Elyane: How dare Rand leave me pregnant, when I get my hands on him, but I need him more then anything.

Chapters.

Clearly we read different books then. The Feast for Crows I read was good. Nothing like "you raped Elia, you murdered her, you killed her child" or "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" in terms of emotional high points, but with stuff like "The war of the Ninepenny Kings?"

"So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war though. That it was." or "vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood" (If you've read the books, you should get the references). Also, Cersei's storyline thorugh the book was good, as was Jaime's. Not forgetting that by the end, Winter is not Coming. It's here. Which does render the Stark words rather redundant, but never mind.

I agree with you Mr Ares. AFfC may not hit the same high notes as some of teh other books but it's a vital part of the series. Like you say, the storylines of Cersei and Jaime are very good (Cersei being one of the most powerfully drawn characters in the series imo).

What are Arms of the Kracken? A book in the series or what?

Arms of the Kraken is a collection of the Iron Island chapters from AFFC. I think it's the first few Victarion, Aeron and Asha chapters, ending with Euron being crowned at the Kingsmoot. It was published as a special preview of AFFC in Dragon Magazine about two years before AFFC came out.

As a bonus, here's a new sample chapter from A Dance with Dragons, courtesy of Amazon.co.uk. This chapter is from a character called 'Reek', but I think you'll figure out who it really is soon enough...

Archived