DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Note's s Verin forgot about after giving Egwene Dream ring.

TedM

In, I believe, the second or third book, Verin Sedai gave Egwene the ring ter'angreal. But after wards, she looked at the notes alongside the ring and then forgot about them, and that was the end of the chapter. I am now reading KoD and am 4 chapters in, what do you thing what as in those notes?

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

In, I believe, ....

I was under the impression that she didn't forget about the notes, she merely decided not to give them to Egwene. I seem to remember an internal monologue on the issue.

It's one of the topics that comes up when trying to decide if she's a DF. Did she keep them so Egwene would die in T'AR, or did she keep them for some other reason?

Regardless, I don't think we'll see them, or hear of them, again.

• 1 month later...

It's one of the topics that comes up when trying to decide if she's a DF. Did she keep them so Egwene would die in T'AR, or did she keep them for some other reason?

Regardless, I don't think we'll see them, or hear of them, again.

I think we may end up hearing something about in AMoL, why else would RJ have bothered to mention it, I doubt it was just to make Verin look like a DF. And besides I WANT to know want those notes say  :P

It could be that there are some secrets about the dream world that Verin did not want Egwene to have knowledge about, though why she would keep it from her is beyond me. It could also be that the notes told of even greater dangers to someone entering the dream world than what Verin told Egwene about, and Vein just didn't want to scare Egwene into not using the ring.

I was under the impression that she didn't forget about the notes, she merely decided not to give them to Egwene. I seem to remember an internal monologue on the issue.

Indeed, she had a short internal debate, then decided not to.  At which point, she goes back to her work and forgets about the issue.  Personally, I just think that nothing useful was really in the notes.  I mean, look at the stolen ter'angreal (in TDR).  The list says multiple times purpose unknown, last study Corianin Nedeal.  So it seems she either didn't share any of her research, or she didn't end up learning too much.  IMO, withholding the notes was not indicative or evidence of Verin being a DF.  And she did warn Egwene about the dangers of T'A'R anyways.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I think we may end up hearing something about in AMoL, why else would RJ have bothered to mention it, I doubt it was just to make Verin look like a DF.

Hmmmmm.... but, one could argue, Jordan went out his way to make Verin a suspect... The Moirane sent me "lie". The masking of her Warder. The "bending" of the Oaths. The use of (probable) of complusion .... So why not think the notes are another part of all this?

It could also be that the notes told of even greater dangers to someone entering the dream world than what Verin told Egwene about, and Vein just didn't want to scare Egwene into not using the ring.

That's it, in my opinion.

Or, perhaps, she didn't want to give Egwene too much control and therefore power. Dunno.

First I don't truly believe Verin is a darkfriend. But I also don't think she is as scatterbrained as she gives the impression of. Verin knows what the girls are doing and who they are stacked up against. Why give them more to worry about? Just because they were studied by Coreanean doesn't mean she knows all about what the ter'angreal do and who's to say Coreanean wasn't Black Ajah? I think Verin saw what the others took and gave Egwene something to 'fight' with. I think Verin would have given it to her sooner or later because of Egwene being a dreamer and if so, would have more use than anyone else.

Maybe we will see the papers again, I would like to know more about the world of dreams. :)

I see two possibilities:  either Corianan was Black Ajah or she was inept in T'A'R.  If she were inept Verin didn't want to hinder Egwene's progress by giving her a fool's notes and if she was BA the notes may have been like the "Saidin detection wave" that Mohgedien gave out.  There is a possibility that she wasn't BA but from what the thirteen stole I find it more likely that she was BA.

Because a brown sister won't throw anything away. Also, even if there is something wrong, it still is more info. than none at all.

Verin might be saving the papers for Egwene to read later after Verin finds she is a true dreamer. Maybe Egwene would be able to understand them better.

Yup, the Verin saga in AMoL is one thing I'm really looking forward to.  Her behavior at the attack in KoD was at the very least suspicious, and then she just left, telling Rand (in her note) that she was going to serve him in "her own way" (and of course, don't trust any AS).  Where did she go?  What is she doing?  Can't wait. 

Verin is most intriguing, but I don't think she is a Darkfriend.  We have had a POV from her, and every other Darkfriend POV has stated, without a doubt, that this person is a Darkfriend.  Verin's POV showed her motivation as helping Rand stay alive.  There is something up with Verin, though, and she is definitely not absent minded.  Remember, she pinned Rand/Mat/Perrin as "man who channels" in the Dark Prophecy, and there are many sentences such as "Verin's eyes were suddenly sharper" which the various characters pass off as figments of imagination.

Note I don't think Verin is a DF, however you can't use her PoV where she wants Rand to stay alive as a valid reason. You have to remember that the orders are for Rand to survive. You can use her PoV to show that she isn't part of the BA, but they do not show that she is not a DF. It could be that Verin is a DF that sits outside of the BA. She is a unique character for sure, whether it is for light or dark (personally I think for the light).

The one thing for certain is Verin does not fit with any of the ajahs, which is why I always liked the character. All you know from Verin's PoV is she wants Rand to live, was one one of the first to know the role Mat, Perrin, and Rand would play (When Suian and Morraine ignored the other two she knew they were just as important), and was apparently the only sister in the tower that was not fooled by Suian and Morraine. Her PoV doesn't shed light on her overall alignment either.

I don't think she is a DF, but I'm not convinced she is fully aligned with the light either. While I doubt it would happen I would not be supprised if Verin ended up turning into this ages version of Mog and her entire role in the story so far had been to set up an elaborate trap. There is definitely more to Verin that meets the eye, and I think very few realise that in Randland (we all see it but we aren't characters =p). The list of people that question her are Rand, Cads, Min, Suian, and Morraine? I think everyone else thinks see is just another brown ajah AS. Correct me if I'm wrong and others question her motives please =)

Archived