DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels....

Dashiva

Dabel Bros announced their plan to do a comic adaptation of WoT. http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=354 Many people are skeptical because of former dealings with Red Eagle Entertainment and the failing of the New Spring comics. But with Dabel Bros continued success with various authors from George R R Martin to Orson Scott Card's book series being adapted, can they live up and fulfill the huge shoes of the Wheel of Time? Do you want graphic novels? And what does this do to the Wheel of Time? Share your thought!

i bought all the other comic books for the WoT and I wasn't that impressed....then again, i only bought it because it was a part of Randland.

that being said, i would buy them, if only to see what they're all about and further expand my WoT collection.

Wow. I thought people would be a little more enthusiastic about this.  :-\ But anyways i think its a great idea to make these into comics cause its just so full of material that it would fully flesh out the whole world. As long as they get great artist and designers and everything is fully to Harriet's approval which i assume it would be. Another reason i think it would be great is that a comic is one of the only ways you can fully explain the story of WoT. Things that would be all but impossible and hard to make film wise could be easily done with graphic novels. And there is no restriction of story. So no need to cut anything for time or budget. Well thats just me. Maybe im alone on the idea of these comics being great. 

Dabel Bros does a good job with novel adaptations. They've done solid woork for GRRM, Laren K Hamilton, and now Jim Butcher. If you like graphic novels, or the prospect of a visual companion to the novels, this is really great news.

And the last time I heard anything about Red Eagle, it was RJ clearing his throat before he spat on them.  ;D

If it turns out well I would love it, I think comicsare great. I am just a pessimist sometimes and assume the worst when things change format although there is great potential for teh books and comics to compliment each other amaizingly.

Thats all good and well but I personally think graphic novels will dull the series for me. What makes the WOT series so great is the writing already gives you a picture. It would cement visuals of the books. The overall size shape and color(refering to the Aiel) of characters and places will take away the best part of the books for me.

And the last time I heard anything about Red Eagle, it was RJ clearing his throat before he spat on them.

Ive heard nothing about Red Eagle entertainment with this project. Only Dabel Bros. is mentioned. And it doesn't sound like their involved.

All im saying is that for a visual representation, comics are a great way to represent the story.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

All im saying is that for a visual representation, comics are a great way to represent the story.

If that's what you want or feel is lacking, then great.

Personally, I hate it when a book is turned into a film and in so doing casts actors that look nothing like my own image of the characters in the book. RJs desciptions are so vivid that, in my opinion, there is no need for graphic novels.

To me, that's what a graphic novel would do. As a result, I wouldn't be interested.

These are the same guys that did the New Spring comics, right?  I enjoyed those greatly, and thought the art was fantastic, so I'm looking forward to it.  For what it's worth, it'll be a great way to get folks I know into the story without intimidating them with a pile of books.

I think alot of people are misunderstanding what im saying.

If that's what you want or feel is lacking, then great.

There is NOTHING lacking from the wheel of time. The books are the great and the graphic novels will not be able to add anything to it at all. they are perfectly fine without any adaptions. All im saying which people dont understand that if the wheel of time is being put into entertainment form, it (in my opinion) is better in a comic form. Not a movie for obviuos reasons (actors age , length, cutting of materials, and hollywood in general.) A tv show would be better but then again keeping the consistancy of actors and materiels and length its hard.

So, what i am saying is that a graphic novel is better to express the story. You can do scenes you could virtually never do with film. Characters, setting, plots could all be IDENTICAL with the story. Period. Of course with books its a million times better. Its a movie in your head. No actor or image could cast the roll perfectly with what you imagine. So you can bag on my ideas and views but understand that as a huge fan i want nothing but respect for these books and nothing will ever take away the great books that they are.

Archived