DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The face of the man Moiraine will marry

kitty

In Shadow Rising, the chapter Doorways Egwene asks Moiraine if she has ever been in love, her answer is "I could wager I know the face of the man I will marry better than either of you knows that of your future husband."

Even in the last books I dont remember this being mentioned again- did I miss something???

Well it's not mentioned again because Moriaine is presumed dead all the way up until Knife of Dreams. It is speculated though, that her future husband is Thom, eviedence being the way she acts around him and the fact he will be one of the ones to save her.

• 2 weeks later...

Also when Rand found Throm in the Great Hunt Throm points out his slight crestfallen attitude that Moiraine a fine woman wasn't with Rand, though he was happy for Rand that he was free of it all. 8) And Moiraine wasn't at all worried that Throm would be killed by the Fade at Whitebridge. These two really stuck out in my mind! I was so shocked I went back to comb for details on his expressed affections :roll:

Guest cwestervelt

When Mat first gives him the letter (Lord of Chaos I think), Thom makes a comment, along the lines of it being from one of the women he left to die. There was definite regret in the way he said it. We don't really see much about it again until Knife of Dreams where he all but waves it in front of Mat's face to get his interest.

I guess I am just surprised that she knew this so early in the series. I guess you do have to take into account that they knew each other prior to the books but that seems odd since she was so young and Thom was with Morgase...

I don't know I was hoping that there would be a major plot twist... I guess not.

Guest cwestervelt
I guess I am just surprised that she knew this so early in the series. I guess you do have to take into account that they knew each other prior to the books but that seems odd since she was so young and Thom was with Morgase...

I don't know I was hoping that there would be a major plot twist... I guess not.

I would guess the knowledge goes back to her Accepted testing. From what we saw of Egwene and Nynaeve's, the testing is akin to Dreaming where they appear to be shown possibilities. Either Egwene or Nynaeve asked Sheriam if what they saw was real, and the reply was that no one really knew. Maybe Moiraine leaned towards the visions being possibilities.

I think that Moiraine was just being tricky with Egwene and teaching her how to mislead people--right after she said she probably knew the face of her future husband better than Egwene, she said she could have meant that they both don't really know at all.

If Moiraine knows something about her and Thom hooking up romantically, I think she learned it from the Aelfinn and/or the Rhuiden rings.

The last time Thom and Moiraine were together was in _The Shadow Rising_--Deceptions. While she was sugar and spice (because she admittedly wanted to get him away from Rand so she would be the only influence on him), Thom was quite obviously mistrusting and annoyed with her. He even subvertly threatens her, yells at her, refuses to use her titles, and finally asks her to leave.

I am certain she was so nice to Thom to aid in her need for him to leave "to protect" Elanye and Egwene. But that meeting happened after she went through the redstone doorway, where she most likely asked about Thom. So it is possible she was also being nice because she learned something about him that made her begin to like him--in that like like sort of way.

Guest cwestervelt

The Shadow Rising Chapter 6: Doorways

The slender woman was not at all taken aback. For a long moment she looked levelly at the pair of them, each with an arm around the other. Finally she said, "I could wager I know the face of the man I will marry better than either of you knows that of your future husband."

Egwene gaped in surprise.

"Who?" Elayne gasped.

The Aes Sedai appeared regretful of having spoken. "Perhaps I only meant that we share an ignorance. Do not read to much into a few words." She looked at Nynaeve consideringly. "Should I ever choose a man - should, I say - it will not be Lan. That much I will say."

Moiraine trying to be tricky doesn't fit the passage. She's doing the famous Aes Sedai double speak in her cover up.

If Moiraine really did mean that they shared an ignorance, she would have been able to say, "I only meant that we share an ignorance." Saying "Perhaps" allows her to give any kind of total fabrication, no matter how rediculous, as an alternate interpretation of her first comment.

Guest cwestervelt

I must have brain lapsed earlier when saying the Accepted testing. That is a possibility, but the more obvious one would have been that she got the information from Min during The Eye of the World. One of the things that Min mentions to Rand is that she can see people and know they will marry even if the happy couple hasn't met. She also always sees images around Aes Sedai. Its quite conceivable that she say an image revealing Moiraine and Thom would marry. If Min told her that, Moiraine would have accepted it for true.

Archived