DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eurovision Song Contest 2006

So, who watched it? I really love this bit of European tradition. Eventhough the songs are silly, and often bad, I still like the idea. It's a shame that they lifted the language restriction and these days most contestants sing in English... But then, this year there were many good songs sung in the original language as well!

Who were your favourites? Which were just awful? :D

I must say, I was VERY surprised we won.

yes..the language was a shame...

who was awful...the British! of couse...it was a choice between "Daz" and Jordan....nasty...spain was bad....lituania was just funny...

i didnt think finland ould win, but their song is gorwing on me...i thought Norway and Greece were the best though.

Lordi were cr**!!!! They only won because they were different, and because of the press coverage they got. Take that away, and it would have been different. It makes me worry about European music...

Look at my thread on fiddlesticks to see more of my views.

Rubbish: Moldova, Latvia, Macedonia, Armenia, Finland, UK, Lithunia, Turkey

Good: Greece, Norway, Bosnia, Isreal

To be honest, I thought it was one of the poorer Eurovisions of recent time. No song stood out like previous years saying it was the clear winner, unlike Greece last year and Ukraine in 2004.

Let's hope 2007 will be better...

I'm used to the Finnish song... Besides, it really gets better more you listen to it.

ESC is a competition where all the European countries may present a song and then the other countries give it points. And of course, the best song wins and the following year the competition is organized in the winning country. Only the best ten (and the funding countries) make it to the next final, and the rest of them have to fight for the 10 places left in a semifinal. :P I think this was the year Finland made it to the final from the semifinals... :P

And the voting should be for the best song...but usually ends up with neighbouring countries voting for each other. Therefore, places like the UK always struggle, as we are an island, and have no neighbours...

I can't believe you people of the rest of the World have not heard of Eurovision...it has been going on for 51 years now!!!!!! It is part of European Folklore.

It was hilarious. Many thanks to Finland for the biggest laugh in ages. I watched Lordi on the News the day before when they were going on about how "beautiful" monster's are *amused*

I didn't think the UK's entry was too bad this year. One of our better efforts. And Northie, Jordan tried to do Eurovision LAST year ;) This year it was loads of ex-famous people like people from Hear'say and Blue. I'm sure the dude who did represent us only got it because of the school girls.

Well Done Finland anywho :)Loved Lithuania too.

• Community Administrator
I can't believe you people of the rest of the World have not heard of Eurovision...it has been going on for 51 years now!!!!!! It is part of European Folklore.

We don't get european channels here. You know, all apart of that whole, keep us blind and only know whats going on in the world via the fcc & other such things.. *probably thx to the whole cold war thing.* :P

About the only way I can get european channels in the us is via satalite.. And thats assuming they offer it...

Guest Majsju

Well, the US is to find out what it's all about, since some network or something over there recently purchased the rights to make an american version of it.

Are they going to have states competing against eachother, or what? I vote for the guy with the banjo :lol:

• Community Administrator

No! Anything but the banjo! You are only allowed to beat people with banjos not play 'music' whatever that is on it!

New Jersey will obviously win, with there electric Guitars...

Minnesota will play a basset hound.

California will play on an electric piano shaped like a shark, eating a human, that is eating a dolphin, that is eating Ilgross, that is eating a kangaroo, which is eating a dingo, which is eating a baby.

Don't even ask what texas would play...

Archived