DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT and World Connections

Lord Nik

I asked this on an earlier post but its kinda off that topic so i will ask it here :D

--

everyone seems to be mentioning a connection to WoT and our world. Im new to this site and the whole "looking deeper into Wot Ect.."

so could someone point out these connections to me? Like the odin / mat connection... And everything else! I have heard wars being connected but im in the dark on these!

HELP!

When people talk about legends they often make references to our world. e.g.

Anla the wise counciler = Anne Landers

Mosc and Merc fighting with the spears of fire in the sky = Moscow and America and nuclear weapons

Lenn flying in the belly of an eagle to the moon = John Glenn

There's tonnes of them (oh yah that's metric and 10% bigger than a ton) and someone somewhere who was very bored likely compiled a complete list.

Many ideas/characters/events are derived from past stuff  (practically all good authors do that) and the way RJ combined them all together is what makes WOT so exciting. It would take forever to list them all, and frankly speaking I really can't see the purpose of doing such a thing. ;)

Many ideas/characters/events are derived from past stuff  (practically all good authors do that) and the way RJ combined them all together is what makes WOT so exciting. It would take forever to list them all, and frankly speaking I really can't see the purpose of doing such a thing. ;)

Good thing some people saw a purpose, and took the time to hunt down and list, perhaps not all, but a great many, references then...

Ive always thought stuff like that is meant to be exactly that, and we are living in the first age - before channeling has been rediscovered.

I agree.

It's the "why does this feel so familiar? / I can ALMOST understand it" thing that draws one into WoT so much, I think.

Good thing some people saw a purpose, and took the time to hunt down and list, perhaps not all, but a great many, references then...

I meant to say that I can't see what useful thing could be accomplished by doing this. I mean, ok, so we know that Odin was in RJ's mind when he wrote about Mat-but what on earth is the point of trying to dig out every single connection? That would just be like taking apart the world that RJ has built up. Again, I fail to see a purpose. The only use I can see is for future authors who want to see how the Great Writers get ideas but other than that.....why???

Why are you here on DM? Why are you participating in the General WoT discussions?

I, like all others here, am here on DM to discuss the Wheel of Time.

This thread is just one in hundreds. You seem to suggest that I have no business on this site merely because I stated that I can see no purpose in listing all the possible links between RJ's world and our own. That makes very little sense, I fear.

Why are you here on DM? Why are you participating in the General WoT discussions?

This thread is just one in hundreds. You seem to suggest that I have no business on this site merely because I stated that I can see no purpose in listing all the possible links between RJ's world and our own. That makes very little sense, I fear.

Or she could be suggesting that people may have an interest in discussing this particular aspect - that the same thing that brought you here made them want to produce that list. Just a thought.

I just find the connections interesting :P

and also lots of times people make a reference to one without explaning, and i just find myself a little out of the loop and ignorant to what they are connecting. So curiousity and me hating not knowing something has inspired me to make this thread :D

Or she could be suggesting that people may have an interest in discussing this particular aspect - that the same thing that brought you here made them want to produce that list. Just a thought.

*points to Mr Ares* - what he said  ;D

HURRAY!

the only ones i know about (that i can recall) are the sword in the stone (lol) and arter hawkwing, i think i get the 2 hero thing fighting in the sky (america and russia i think)

thats it... anymore would be super!

Archived